Now that some time has passed since I got this big beastie together, I thought an update on its life in my home theater was merited.
Since I put this thing together, there have been several revisions of Hornresp. I'd long suspected that I unintentionally built this thing better than it was showing in the models. Recently, however, I decided to go revisit my work on this project and completely revise the Hornresp model to match what really got built as closely as possible. I've attached the results to this post.
The short version is, I really did build a better horn than Hornresp simulated back in the day. It's not perfect and never will be, but it's much closer to ideal than I thought it was.
Part of my desire to re-sim this thing was from the realization that it was taking all 350 watts out of one channel of my RMX-1850HD and asking for more
. The excursion graphs in Hornresp alone suggested this wasn't possible - Xmax for the woofers is only at 12mm.
This thing is currently getting the full bridged output from my amp. Still haven't found its limits, but after seeing 122dB peaks during Flight of the Phoenix I sure found mine. Realistically, I'm not sure yet it's able to do reference sustained right down to the corner. But, I think that's more to do with the 10Hz highpass on it than anything else. The updated Hornresp model claims that it is
indeed capable of it.
No current plans to remove the highpass for further testing, but you never know. I wasn't going to bridge the amp on this bad boy either
Some graphs now. This is simulated with 350W in. Keep in mind that the excursion graphs do not take into account the suspension getting stiffer around Xmax, nor do they consider the increase in compression ratio as the diaphragms move. I have not seen the woofers move much past Xmax in real life. They've done it, but not nearly
as far as the graph suggests.
All graphs are half space.
wh2r5a.txt 0.435546875k . file