My first TC SOUNDS DIY sub! ***LOTS OF PICTURES*** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first custom subwoofer. I got the idea for my setup from this website: http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/10triple10.html . It seemed like a cool idea and I hadn't seen many triple passive subwoofers so I thought I'd give it a try. Ever since I discovered TC Sounds back in 2007, I knew I wanted build a subwoofer based on their products. So here it is. (1) 15" TC-3000, (2) 15" VMP Passive Radiators, (1) 18" VMP Passive Radiator (I couldn't find another 18" so I jumped at the chance to buy 2 15's from an individual). The enclosure is a 24" cube with double mdf walls. The feet are 3.75"x3.75"x3" made from mdf. You can see the bracing in the first image. A local bedliner shop sprayed the entire enclosure for $40. The trim cherry 4" wide x 3/3 thick, joined at the corners, stained with a satin finish. The top will have 26" granite top by the end of the week. Pioneer~Saturn (member @ caraudioclassifieds.org) built the enclosure seeing that I'm no good at woodworking. After displacement and bracing, volume is 4.8 cuft. There is just over 1500grms of washers (including the nut) on each passive placing tuning at about 18hz. I've only tested it a couple times since it's at work and shakes the walls and drop ceiling in the room. (boss not too happy about that). FYI, anyone needing more washers for TC Sounds VMP's, check out fastenal. They the exact size and weight for $.79 each. Let me know what you think.

These worked out great!

Feet

Had it sprayed with Reflex Polyurethane liner.

Cherry trim pieces installed.

Granite prior to cut, finish and installation.
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/mtrainer
/sub/IMG00068-20091229-0938.jpg[/IMG]

8awg speaker wire

I changed terminals. Wire soldered to terminals and installed in plate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

First test vidoes

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...cusTrainer.flv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQ_LvxWh2w
post #3 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice work.
I like the wood trim.
post #4 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gelinas.

Here is the granite (unfinished) that will going on top.

post #5 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I would also like to thank KyleLee for allowing me bug him with all my questions! His info was invaluable.
post #6 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Very nice build, well documented too!
Nice job, I hope she sounds as good as she looks.

post #7 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintrain View Post

I would also like to thank KyleLee for allowing me bug him with all my questions! His info was invaluable.

Ya, Kyle is a great guy and very helpful.

He got me into the LMSs too!

post #8 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks great so far. The only thing I see that I might do different is make the feet out of something other than mdf. Have you modelled it?
post #9 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Looks great! What's the audio you are using with it, telling you the Fz it's about to play?

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #10 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very nice build, well documented too!
Nice job, I hope she sounds as good as she looks.

Thanks. I'm impressed with the results just from the 2 short test I've been able to run.

Quote:

He got me into the LMSs too!

I wish I could afford a lms-5400!

Quote:

Looks great so far. The only thing I see that I might do different is make the feet out of something other than mdf. Have you modelled it?

I'm starting feel the same way. Maybe I should have done spikes?... hindsight...
I haven't moddelled it. Haven't had the best of luck trying to use winisd with passives.

Quote:

Looks great! What's the audio you are using with it, telling you the Fz it's about to play?

Thanks. I found a cd online called Tojo Bass Evolution. It has some cheezy bass tracks as well as a test section with tracks from 10hz up to 100hz
post #11 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'm impressed with the results just from the 2 short test I've been able to run.

You can always put short spikes under the existing feet too. I like the MDF feet, they are large and look mean.

If Kyle made the suggestions, I am sure the results are right on. He would know the masses and volume required for your desired results.

That is a sweet setup.

post #12 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

You can always put short spikes under the existing feet too. I like the MDF feet, they are large and look mean.

If Kyle made the suggestions, I am sure the results are right on. He would know the masses and volume required for your desired results.

That is a sweet setup.

Overall, I really like the way it looks. I'm a little concerned about this beast walking across the floor at 20hz though. Maybe it won't be so bad when I put the stone on top.
post #13 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Overall, I really like the way it looks. I'm a little concerned about this beast walking across the floor at 20hz though. Maybe it won't be so bad when I put the stone on top.

I could be wrong, but I doubt you will have any problems with that. The weight is pretty much evenly balanced and massed towards the center. Like you said, the stone should eliminate any possibility.

post #14 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know much about the TC line, but the new Audiopulse line by the same company models better than anything I have tried yet, and I've tried everything! In a passive radiator configuration, nothing can beat the amount of low end extention these are capable of in a very small enclosure. These are simply awesome. Too bad there's rumors of the company closing, and you can never reach anyone by phone or email - ever. Getting the VMP passives is about impossible.

EDIT: I went with the 12" rather than the 15" because it models less than 1 dB difference but in a 30% smaller enclosure. The smaller size is just small enough for me to use it absolutely anywhere I could ever want (1.85 cu ft) and it will already be plenty as loud and deep as I will ever want. Since I can't get the VMP Passives, I'm going with the Exodus EX-PR15 passives. They model almost identical as the WMPs. I only need 2 with my plan, so it can be used against a wall. I will wrap a single speaker cloth from one side, around the front, and over the other side. The top and bottom walls will extend to form a rounded lip over the cloth. It will look like an ordinary little speaker - but it ain't ordinary! Did I say I love the way these little monsters model?
post #15 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

I don't know much about the TC line, but the new Audiopulse line by the same company [b][i]

Ironically, TC Sounds is making a comeback. I sure hope they some traction this time. The last few years they were a nightmare to deal with and one never knew if they were in business or not.

post #16 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Even though I have mine already, I sure hope they will be around for everyone else. It would be an epic travesty upon humanity if drivers like these were to become extinct.
post #17 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know much about the TC line

TC Sounds=Audiopulse. The Axis is exactly the same as the TC-3000 just painted blue. I've heard they have some new subs coming but I haven't seen them yet. Like you, I love the product. My next project is putting a 12" Titanium TC9+ LMS12 in my car. It's the same as this but 12" with tall surround and 30mm xmax: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-630
post #18 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Even though I have mine already, I sure hope they will be around for everyone else. It would be an epic travesty upon humanity if drivers like these were to become extinct.

I was truly disappointed when I heard they went bankrupt.
post #19 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

First of all, I must pause to clean the drool off my keyboard... I ran across some bnib TC-1000 15" from an ex-dealer, and put together a down&dirty sealed containing both (used "cheater's" paint, Rustoleum Stone finish), they sound phenomenal. I hope TC Sounds has "traction" this time around as well.

Nice job maintrain. Excuse my woodworking newbieness: Are the perforated holes in the interior layers to allow the panels to fit flush (glue release)? You are powering this with?
post #20 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

If your TC Sounds 15" is anything like the Audiopulse 15", you could have gone with a much smaller box. At 4.8 cf ft net internal volume, it will be kind of like a 22Hz SPL box. I'm showing 120.5 dB @ 22Hz free air response. That'd be more like 133 dB in-room. A smaller box would have evened out the huge peak at around 22Hz. You can toy with weights to move it around, but the peak is going to be there, even worse as you remove weight. The peak rides down to 118 dB @ 35 Hz free air response, not a horrible peak, but it would be gone with a smaller box, and, well you would have a smaller box. I probably would have gone with 2.5 cu ft net internal volume with that driver.

BTW, you linked to a 10" rather than a 12" at Parts Express.
post #21 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhillsguy View Post

First of all, I must pause to clean the drool off my keyboard... I ran across some bnib TC-1000 15" from an ex-dealer, and put together a down&dirty sealed containing both (used "cheater's" paint, Rustoleum Stone finish), they sound phenomenal. I hope TC Sounds has "traction" this time around as well.

Nice job maintrain. You are powering this with?

Behringer EP-2500 bridged 4ohms. Also using and Audio Buddy preamp to boost the input signal. 2 15" 1000's sealed sounds really strong. I love the punch you get from a sealed sub.
post #22 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If your TC Sounds 15" is anything like the Audiopulse 15", you could have gone with a much smaller box. At 4.8 cf ft net internal volume, it will be kind of like a 22Hz SPL box. A smaller box would have evened out the huge peak at around 22Hz. You can toy with weights to move it around, but the peak is going to be there, even worse as you remove weight. I probably would have gone with 2.5 cu ft net internal volume.

I'm using an Antimode 8033 which should smooth out the response. It worked wonders on my previous sub.

Quote:

BTW, you linked to a 10" rather than a 12" at Parts Express.

It's the same as this but 12" with tall surround and 30mm xmax: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-630
post #23 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait to hear how you like it! (I mean the HT sub)
post #24 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can't wait to hear how you like it! (I mean the HT sub)

So far I'm in awe of how much output I'm getting between 15 and 20hz compared to previous subwoofer (lowly Audiosource SWfifteen). The old one would distort pretty bad when pushed to the limits. The TC's just keep asking for more! I already love it.
post #25 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sub looks awsome!

Cant wait to see it with the top.

Got iSCSI?
post #26 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I like the build, it looks good and is well braced, which is a good thing. I used the same TC 3k driver and it does perform, specially in the low bass. I first had it in a small 4cf sealed box and then a bigger 7cf with 18" PR's and I can say that not only did it provide more powerful low bass than the sealed box, but was also more linear across the frequency range (the sealed box had a big deep after 60hz or so).
post #27 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

On the webpage in that link in the first post, the author refers to an excel spreadsheet he used to calculate the mass needed for his passives. Maybe it will help someone else who's trying to figure this out.

http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/passive.xls
post #28 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey Marcus,

Welcome to the AVS, looks like I joined your site and now your with the one I have been with for awhile.

Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

Mike

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #29 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Hey Marcus,

Welcome to the AVS, looks like I joined your site and now your with the one I have been with for awhile.

Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for everything. I'll pick up the granite first thing in the morning. Looking forward seeing your build.
post #30 of 83 Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Nice looking sub! I bet you need to secure it with spikes when really cranking it up. In the Youtube video around the 1:30 mark and after, it looks like the enclosure is really moving when you look at the corner molding.

But like you said, maybe the top will weight it down enough. Either way, good job, it looks great.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page