Ceiling mounted woofer revisted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's touch on this question with a bit more clarity than the one I found when I searched on this topic. The previous question got replies stating that the woofer should be bigger, and bigger is better.
We are not talking about Sub-woofers, and a sub woofer is clearly a different class of speaker.
So my question is about putting a 10" woofer in my ceiling. They will compliment the 8" Monoprice coaxial speakers I installed. BTW, the Monoprice 8" ceiling speaker is a great deal, and I won't discount that statement by adding "for the money." Comparing them to many other 8" coaxial speakers that cost as much as $100 more, they are just as good. I am very happy with them. I installed one of three pair over the weekend.

This is where the question gets more complicated, so I think only a few may reply. A true sub-woofer is of low enough frequency to not be directional, so there is usually only one in a system.

The main 8" Monoprice speakers have a Frequency Response of 43 Hz - 20,000 Hz

The woofer I want to use is rated as Frequency Response: 35 Hz to 3.0 Khz.

The questions are:

1) Is the frequency response of the woofer, low enough to be unidirectional?
2) Will it be enough to help supplement the 8" speaker in the low end enough to be appreciated? Comments from others who have done the same would be nice.
3) Will the speaker work well if I put it in a ceiling?

My fear is that the response of the 10" woofer will not be low enough to be truly unidirectional. The end result may be a woofer that appears to be coming from somewhere, instead of everywhere.

I currently have a large Yamaha powered sub offsetting the 8" coaxials. It is very big and not what I want. The levels have to be way down to give the unified sound that I want. What I mean by this, is a sound that comes from everywhere. My thoughts on a good woofer is like putting too much spice in your food. If you can pick it out of the finished product it is too much. Woofers should be heard and not seen. If someone can point to your woofer with their eyes closed, you have not done a good job.
I look forward to feedback.

This is all my opinion and may not be fact.. Please be kind.

Joe

I love a good gadget.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page