SilentJ20's Tritrix Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 101 Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am powering my tritrix TL's with a denon 590 and they work well together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilacr View Post

I am powering my tritrix TL's with a denon 590 and they work well together.

So the RX-V765 and Denon 590. Not bad.

I wonder if my RX-V465 would be up to the task? I'm still considering building a set, but not if it would also require a new receiver.
post #93 of 101 Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseb552 View Post

So the RX-V765 and Denon 590. Not bad.

I wonder if my RX-V465 would be up to the task? I'm still considering building a set, but not if it would also require a new receiver.

The V465 puts out more power per channel than the V765. And the tritrix are an 8 ohm design, which is very easy for a receiver to drive. I'd imagine you'd be just fine.

DIY is the way for me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Slow Progress :-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 101 Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post

The V465 puts out more power per channel than the V765. And the tritrix are an 8 ohm design, which is very easy for a receiver to drive. I'd imagine you'd be just fine.

Dang, I was hoping you'd say that I needed a new receiver, that would remove the temptation to build a set

I'm going to keep following your thread to see how they turn out and what your impressions are of them.

Thanks for the info and the great build thread!
post #95 of 101 Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

You could always build a set of Triune speakers (the 4 ohm predecessor to the tritrix). That way you'd NEED to spend money on a deluxe receiver that is capable of a 4 ohm load

DIY is the way for me...

post #96 of 101 Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided after some serious thought about refinishing these things that I built them to sound great--not for looks. I just want them FINISHED so I can listen to them and get working on my sub project (RSS390HO ported build thread coming soon...).

So, I put the grill cloth on the frames. Not as daunting as I thought, but I still felt a bit rushed using the 3M spray glue. Turned out well. Re-installed the binding posts, and was about to stuff the speaker boxes and mount the drivers yesterday evening for the last time, but my wife decided to go into labor instead (baby girl born at 6am after no sleep ). I think I'll forgive her. I'll get some pics up and a more descriptive update after the family is home and settled/rested.

DIY is the way for me...

post #97 of 101 Old 03-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Hey man, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
post #98 of 101 Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Dude CONGRATS!!!

That's some amazing news man.
post #99 of 101 Old 03-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Congratulations!!
post #100 of 101 Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the congrats everyone! It's a great time, and everyone is doing great. If anything can pull me away from my probable addiction to speaker building, I'm glad the new baby girl could Very easily I might add.

I finally managed to get them finished. Well, finished enough to be happy. I was struggling for a little while on the finish--about it not turning out as nice as I had wanted it to. And while I DID want speakers that LOOKED & SOUND nice, my main focus was for them to SOUND nice... and look acceptable . So, minor imperfections aside, they are complete.

Here's a shot of a finished speaker next to one of my Velodyne speakers, soon to be moved to surround or effects duty.

The shape, color, texture, roundovers and grill match pretty well, with the exception of the parts express grill cloth not being true black .

A close-up of the finished tritrix.

My main downfall was not sealing the edges enough. MDF needs to have the EXCREMENT sealed out of it. 5 coats of wood hardener and a few coats of primer were not enough. The textured paint helped a bit. I still have some areas where the porous edges can be seen, but once on stands and set next to my tv stand (soon to be built), it will not be very noticeable.

Here is one other issue I encountered. In a certain light, a striping can be noticed.

This is due to me being to close with the spray can most likely, and the fact that the "2 light coats" recommended by the rustoleum textured paint--and even a 3rd added by me to lessen the striping--were apparently not sufficient to smooth things out. Oh, well you live and you learn. I have too many projects to work on to spend even MORE time working on the finish. So I'll just sit back and enjoy the beautiful sounds

DIY is the way for me...

post #101 of 101 Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

I found the mdf a PITA to finish as well. I used Zinsser BIN which is a shellac based primer then 8 or so coats of flat black latex rolled on. I didn't get the edges like yours but can still see imperfections. They felt smooth as glass until the paint went on. But like you said, when they are cranking it out I don't mind
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page