SilentJ20's Tritrix Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've been fooling around long enough! Time to build some speakers. A few days ago, I ordered the Recession Destroyer kit and it is due to be delivered to my house any minute now. This will be my first speaker building experience, with only a simple car sub being my only DIY experience.

I will build the sealed enclosure, with some small changes to be able to put a 1/2 inch roundover and grill on the front to better match the look of my Velodyne CHT 5-channel system (this will add 2 speakers for the eventual 7.1 capable receiver purchase).

I try to plan ahead as much as I can, and thus have already planned the cut sheets and stands to integrate them into my home theater (stand parts will be cut from 1/2 inch mdf and are not shown on the cut sheets).

Hopefully, provided the package delivery happens on time, I'll have some naked speaker pics coming soon.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

DIY is the way for me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Slow Progress :-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM

So is this a Tritrix or Recession Buster thread (title says Tritrix, text says Recession Buster)?

Whoa that was quick .
post #3 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the text says Recession 'Destroyer'. It's a good deal partsexpress put together containing all components needed (drivers, crossover) to build the tritrix speakers, minus the box.

Linky for those interested/unaware:
Recession Destroyer

DIY is the way for me...

post #4 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in the market for some new mains and center. I have been debating some line arrays or just going with the TriTrix. What made you decide to go with them? I'm looking forward to following your thread and see what your impressions are once they're done. Goodluck and have fun.

List your favorite BASS movies here...
post #5 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Delivery has come. Partsexpress packages very well, by the way.

reecew:
I decided to go with these because they are an affordable entry-level type speaker (deal is too good right now). I don't have large funds available, so these made a good fit. Also, with being 8 ohm, I don't need a separate power-amp for them (nor does my current receiver have pre-amp outputs). I have a smaller room so I don't need large speakers, nor to I have the space available.

And the tritrix has always had very good reviews, and I look forward to judging that for myself soon. I'm no 'critical listener' but I know these will be worth the work.

Hopefully I'll be cutting wood soon.
LL

DIY is the way for me...

post #6 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post

Actually, the text says Recession 'Destroyer'.

Yes, I saw that it says that now. Good kit, looking forward to your build.
post #7 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I would build them with the open backend and not the sealed version. The TL part of it is really what sets it apart and makes the tritrix keep up with some of the higher end builds.

post #8 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Liked: 42
I've been tempted to go for that kit as a first time build for myself. I'll follow along with interest...
post #9 of 101 Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM

You won't be disappointed.
post #10 of 101 Old 01-17-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing new yet, I hope to start cutting wood tomorrow afternoon. I DO, however, have a question about routing a roundover on the corners. I borrowed a 1/2 inch roundover bit, with a 1/4 inch shank. Should I do multiple passes/depths to get the full roundover, or can I make just one pass? My router is decent, and I'm not worried about power, I just don't want to give the bit too much and break it. What do you think?

DIY is the way for me...

post #11 of 101 Old 01-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Liked: 12
Personally, I would do it in two passes. It doesn't take very much longer and it ensures a smooth cut.
post #12 of 101 Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, the text says Recession 'Destroyer'. It's a good deal partsexpress put together containing all components needed (drivers, crossover) to build the tritrix speakers, minus the box.

Linky for those interested/unaware:
Recession Destroyer

Linky does not work. FYI... code looks incorrect for the link.
post #13 of 101 Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Fixed. Don't know what happened, I used the link tool the first time and it worked for a while...

DIY is the way for me...

post #14 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

So, I finally had some time to work. I was able to get all the driver cut-outs routed, pieces cut, and the top/bottom/side assemblies glued together. Not bad for a few hours of work. I even managed to get things somewhat cleaned up.

I have to say, I love circle-cutting with a router. Although I managed to mess up one of the inner hole diameters for the woofer a bit, it is an incredibly effective way to make circular cutouts. Just make sure you double and triple check measurements!! I used a diy jasper-type jig and learned the lesson of measuring before cutting. Also, check the plunge depth stops before cutting or moving from woofer to tweeter holes.

I figure I had enough clamps, as I was only doing two speakers, but I should have bought more. I could easily have used twice as many.

I thought about writing a song about the joys of cutting mdf. The dust getting everywhere, how it chokes you and dries out every moist part of your body. How the cloud hovers in the garage for 15 minutes after I was done cutting. But I didn't think it was all that worthwhile, especially since I don't think anyone wants to hear me sing about mdf boogers. And yes, I was wearing a mask, but the dust still managed to get into my nose/mouth a bit anyways, I can't imagine how bad it would have been without a mask.
LL
LL
LL
LL

DIY is the way for me...

post #15 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

What are you doing for a center channel? Can one of those be placed horizontally? Thats if you were to build a third.

post #16 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

My center channel is a Velodyne CHT Front Row center channel speaker (I have the whole set). See the manual here: Velodyne Front Row System

I like the sound of the front row system so far, we'll have to see how they compare to the tritrix.

For a tritrix center most people are just building a regular sealed or ported and placing it sideways. However, over at HTguide there is an old (mid 2008) design in project for a tritrix based center channel. See HERE.

DIY is the way for me...

post #17 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 AM

I am very interested in building a pair of these. Please let us know how they sound.
post #18 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My center channel is a Velodyne CHT Front Row center channel speaker (I have the whole set). See the manual here: Velodyne Front Row System

I like the sound of the front row system so far, we'll have to see how they compare to the tritrix.

For a tritrix center most people are just building a regular sealed or ported and placing it sideways. However, over at HTguide there is an old (mid 2008) design in project for a tritrix based center channel. See HERE.

Yea let us know what you think. You like the way your CC sounds now with the matching main speakers. Your opinion could change once you get these puppies into place. You may notice some differences on movie scenes where the sound pans from left to right through the center and vice versa. The difference in sound bothers some and some wont ever notice the difference. Im one who would notice if for no other reason than aesthetic's haha. But then again i am kind of crazy.

post #19 of 101 Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am hoping they blend in well. Both the front row system and the tritrix use soft dome tweeters, so they should have a similar quality ( from what my noob mind understands). The woofers are a different material, however, with the front rows using some form of plastic and the tritrix being treated paper.

As for aesthetics, I am going to make them match my front rows as close as I can. The same roundovers in the same places and the same grill design. Roughly the same surface finish. Maybe I'm just as crazy going through so much to make them match.

DIY is the way for me...

post #20 of 101 Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Great progress!!!

I'd be interested in hearing your impression of the Tritix.
post #21 of 101 Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM

Where do you plan on mounting your crossover?
post #22 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilacr View Post

Where do you plan on mounting your crossover?

I was planning on mounting it to one of the longer flat sides. However, after reading a cautionary note about hot-glued crossovers mounted on vertical walls having the heavy inductors fall off and break wires, I'll probably mount them on the bottom (7in x 5.5in board). From the crossover assembly video on youtube, there will be plenty of room and everything will be well supported. I hope to get to the crossovers this afternoon. Unfortunately, life gets in the way and this isn't going as quick as I hoped it would. I'll keep on truckin, though. Not too much futher, really.

DIY is the way for me...

post #23 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM

The crossover is fairly simple for the tritrix. Only 4 or 5 solder points. Should be fairly quick. Go ahead finish already and let us know I am going stir crazy on what I can build next. This hobby is a lot more addictive than my computer addiction
post #24 of 101 Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilacr View Post

Go ahead finish already and let us know

Dude, I know I really want time to finish. I already made a couple (small) mistakes on the circle-cutting from trying to speed things up. Turns out the faster you try to go, the more errors you make Soldering shouldn't be too bad, though. I'm assuming I can use the same speaker wire on the inside that I'm running between the receiver and speakers?

DIY is the way for me...

post #25 of 101 Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was able to get some work done, though not as much as I would have liked. I needed to clean off my workbench first, as is always the case when I want to use it. And since I was cleaning off the workbench, I had to take out some trash. So I took out the trash from the whole house. Then I saw that there were some winter decorations ready to back into the garage. Then I had to make some space on the shelves in the garage... Oy

Anyways, I got the crossover components laid out and glued to the boards. I pretty much followed the layout of the tritrix youtube crossover assembly video.

WATCH IT HERE

I cut the boards to 4x5 inches as described. However, this ended up a little smaller than the video. So things got a little tighter, but not too bad.

If you are worried about things getting too close or are wanting a bit more room to glue/solder, a larger board would be better. Note that a 6-3/4 x 5 inches is the largest that will (barely) fit in the bottom (smallest end) of the sealed box, or larger if you mount it to the side. I just have some soldering to do, and the crossovers are done. I decided to go ahead and glue in the lead lines into the crossovers at their full length. I left 12 inches of speaker wire (I think it was 16 gauge) trailing out so I don't need to attach anything more between the crossovers and the binding posts. Slowly but surely (and don't call me Shirley)

DIY is the way for me...

post #26 of 101 Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I would zip tie them to the board, drill holes on each side of the component and then run a zip tie through it. I had some hot glue joints break on my d3 crossovers but that was before I put them in the cabinet.

post #27 of 101 Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Those crossovers are looking good. I have used hot melt glue before and it held. I guess it is a case of YMMV.
post #28 of 101 Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I could always zip-tie the heavy inductors, especially the one standing on the edge. The other components don't weigh much and there is plenty of glue. But the inductors would be the most likely to come loose and a couple zip-ties is quick cheap insurance. Thanks for the tip, stgdz.

DIY is the way for me...

post #29 of 101 Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM

I just through one together today and it sounds phenomenal. Bought the PE TL kit. The imaging and clarity are unbelievable, these things sound like they are worth a lot more than $200. Trust me you will not be disappointed in the sound of these guys.
post #30 of 101 Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

TIME FOR AN UPDATE.

Okay, so not too much has happened, but I'm at a decent stopping point. I FINALLY got the crossovers soldered. I added the speaker leads to the soldering mess, and made sure to leave plenty to reach the speakers. It was a bit of a challenge going from the diagrams, comparing it to the layout on the board from the youtube video, and making the right connections. But, I think I've done it. Point something out that I did wrong. It's my first crossover, so go easy on me

White line is the positive lead, and where the wire is silver/copper, the silver color is the positive.

I haven't had time to do a listening test yet. I'll do that tomorrow, hopefully (provided I don't need to start over on the crossovers).

I also managed to get the back panels of the boxes drilled for the push-terminals and glued into place. If I would have thought ahead, I would have made sure to oversize the back (and front) panels so they would trim flush with my router. Let's just say I have some wood filling to do...

Anyways, I'm off to the store to get some wood filler and some other stuff. Till next time.

DIY is the way for me...

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page