THT-Infinity 12" Photos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I am working on a pair of THTs for a friend, using an Infinity 12" 1252W in each cabinet.
Many thanks to MaxMercy for running the numbers for me in HornResp and advising me on the build.
Following Max's advice, these are using 16" wide panels, for a 17" width overall.
I know there have been a lot of THT builds already, but I thought I'd try to take a lot of pictures. Hopefully, I didn't overdo it.

Cutting the sheets slightly oversized, to allow for error on long cuts.

Trim to size.

Making a template to make a template.
The setup.

Lower the blade.

Power on.

Raise the blade.

Make the cut.

Move the fence 1/2" and do it again.

1/2" wide channel...almost.

Now, it's a channel

Ready to make a THT template.
I don't think I would do this for making just one THT, but only because I'm not very experienced at making templates yet.

THT template in the works.

Bit by bit.

1/4" MDF added to allow sufficient thickness, so that the bearing can contact the template walls without the bit contacting the workpiece.
This way, I can plunge cleanly into the workpiece after the router comes up to speed.
Additional 1/4" MDF was later added along the sides, to allow for easy clamping.

"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." --Paul Simon The Boxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice. I'm also jealous of your equipment (especially table saw) and the wood you have. Wow. The cuts look good. Good job.

Frank, "Still the one"
Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a nice friend! That's great you made a template like that pretty smart idea. Your friend is going to love these. Even though I've never heard a 12" version of the THT I could still imagine them providing great ouput. Any idea on what's going to be used for power? Or the final finish?

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gimpy--Thanks! The saw is pretty new. I got it on sale for a pretty good price, then I had to work out some problems with the rail. A crooked bracket put a warp and twist in the rail. I had to do some machining to get it mounted straight and true. Now, I'm pretty happy with it.

Reece--I don't know yet what will power these, but each has two voice coils which I wired in parallel, giving me 2 ohms per box--that's how the T/S specs were given for the drivers (thanks again to MaxMercy for explaining that to me). The two boxes will be wired in series to present a 4 ohm load to an amp.

The finish will be Red Mahogany Trans-Tint added to the MinWax Oil Modified Water Based Polyurethane.

"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." --Paul Simon The Boxer
Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Im not sure the power rating on the drivers but he should need nothing too monstorous to power them thats the great thing about the THT. If you do the finish for him i have no doubt at all they will look better than store bought units. I know you get tons of compliments on your wood working skills around here but you truely are an artist. Be safe and have fun.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

I am working on a pair of THTs for a friend, using an Infinity 12" 1252W in each cabinet.

Working on them for a friend huh? Mmmm-hmm...............a likely story. I'm sure your "friend" will love these *wink*.

Quote:

I know there have been a lot of THT builds already, but I thought I'd try to take a lot of pictures. Hopefully, I didn't overdo it.

Excellent build thread so far!! You stop with the photos, and I'm a' gonna' have to come down there and cut'cha.

I wish I had your skills (...and tools...), those THT's seem to be coming along quite swimmingly. As expert craftsmanship interests me to no end, I look forward to following this thread as it progresses.

Keep it up you "Geppetto", you.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Goku--These really are for a friend, but of course I will have to run some FR tests before I hand them over.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'll be interested to see how they measure. Hornresp said they'd be pretty smooth to ~60Hz, and them begin the rippling that you see on all the front-loaded horn graphs...

JSS
Old 01-16-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Loving the pics! Keep em coming. The more the better.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Another good build thread. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Man, I love that table saw, it's a beast. I don't think they look quite that neat in the store, I guess they just look better sitting in a garage with saw dust around.

What blade do you have in it? And also, what are those "Grip Tite" accessories? Do they have magnets on the base to hold the wood down? Nice.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 AM

Liked: 10
Man I'm jealous of your setup

I have two of these subs myself in a sealed build and I've been thinking about doing a different enclosure so I'll be following this closely.

If you don't mind my asking what kind of response are you expecting out of these? Also, if I were to want to go this route how would I go about getting plans for this specific build? From what I've read you buy the THT plans from the guy who came up with this design but your post sounds like you're working off a different design?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys.
I like the saw, so far at least.
I built a mobile base for it, by edge-joining some 2 x 6s, using dowels.
Rather than strengthening the base to accomodate the weight of the saw, I just put another set of wheels in the center to eliminate sag.
Soon, I intend to build an outfeed table for it, which folds down when not in use.
Then, I plan on adding some cabinets with drawers.

Erich--The blade is the Freud LU79R010 Thin Kerf Ultimate Plywood & Melamine Saw Blade 10 inch x 80t Hi-ATB 5/8 inch arbor Perma-Shield Coated, currently $69.99 at Amazon.
I went with the thin kerf version, because the saw has a mere 1 3/4 HP motor.

The Grip Tite magnetic hold downs are a good solution for me, since I don't have a miter track to the left of the blade, which is pretty annoying. This saw has the sliding miter table, instead. Personally, I don't see why Jet couldn't put both on this saw, but that's just me.

FastForward--I'm not sure what to expect on the response, but I already had the drivers collecting dust on a shelf--not the $49 sale price some places offered a few months back, or even now at Crutchfield. I happened to beat the heck out of that sale price. Right place at the right time.
Tests will follow in a few days.

Bill Fitzmaurice designed the Tuba Home Theater subs.
Here is a link to the THT page at his site.
And here is a link to info on ordering any of his plans.
You can get more info from the discussions at his forum.
Mynym's build thread is particularly informative, as are the others.

This build is not a modification or adaptation of Bill's design, though it might seem so at first glance.
The THT is 36" tall x 36" deep.
What varies is the width.
Varying the width is called for in the plans--it's part of the plan.
When MaxMercy helped me out by running the numbers on these drivers in Horn Resp, he found the ideal width for them and advised me accordingly.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cutting the deflectors
Setting the fence.

45 Degree Bevel, cutting a deflector.

Routing a dado in a panel.
This seemed like a good idea, because the dado will straighten a bowed panel.

Routing the driver through hole.

Preparing to mark the driver mounting holes.

Marking the 8 pilot locations.

Piloting the driver mounting holes.

Boring Details.

Press-in threaded inserts, caulked for an airtight seal.

Pressed in.

Split-ring locks and flats on 1/4" hex head bolts, plus some LocTite thread locker.

Stay tuned for more.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Passing, your work never seems to amaze me! About as close to perfection as I have seen and they are not even done yet!
Are you going to use spacers with those bolts or are they an optial illusion? Seems like they would be too long or I am totally missing something.
Can't wait for the pic's of the final product and the sound review...I am staying tuned alright!

A bigger hammer is only better until you hit your thumb with it.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
+1! Beautiful work!!! Can't wait to see the finished product and your measurements!

Seeing other people's projects and techniques is definitely an inspiration. I have the tools and most of the know-how, but I never seem to get results that actually reflect that...

Waitaminute - that means I'm the problem.....
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys!

lacrojx--The bolts are 1 1/2 long. The unthreaded portion of the shaft is 5/8". I think that was the part that concerned you. The ply is nearly 1/2" thick. The driver has a rubber gasket which is something on the order of 1/2" thick, so no problem with running out of threaded shaft when tightening the bolt. The bolts stick out of the threaded insert by a little over 1/4", but there is no interference problem due to the extra length.

lilmike--You may have a setup problem, or alignment problem. Going through the alignment procedures for your equipment is painfully tedious, but it is worth the effort.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1684
If you use threadlocker you'll probably spin the nuts should you ever have to remove the bolts. I'd stay with lockwashers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

Thanks, guys!

lacrojx--The bolts are 1 1/2 long. The unthreaded portion of the shaft is 5/8". I think that was the part that concerned you. The ply is nearly 1/2" thick. The driver has a rubber gasket which is something on the order of 1/2" thick, so no problem with running out of threaded shaft when tightening the bolt. The bolts stick out of the threaded insert by a little over 1/4", but there is no interference problem due to the extra length.

lilmike--You may have a setup problem, or alignment problem. Going through the alignment procedures for your equipment is painfully tedious, but it is worth the effort.

Nah - I'd describe it as more of a patience problem..... It's all me.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Your attention to detail is immaculate!

Nice work.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ohhhh....... your new table saw is so sweet!

Looks like school is back in session.........I am going to send you an apple teach

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 734
PassingInterest, when are you going to rent a small shop and start building/selling your work????
Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If you use threadlocker you'll probably spin the nuts should you ever have to remove the bolts. I'd stay with lockwashers.

Good point. Thanks for the tip, Bill. I hadn't considered that.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys!

Erich--If I could build a THT in a day and a half, instead of a week and a half, it might be worthwhile to start a sideline business. Right now, I'm just too darned slow.

MJAudio--I like apples. You're going to do well in this class.

Mynym--It's all your fault, you know. You're the one who got me interested in building these.

LilMike--Patience is a problem for me, as well. Probably the main thing that keeps me going when part of me wants to say it's good enough, is knowing that it will bug me forever that I gave up too soon.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Internal Brace Template.
At this point, drawing the inner panel positions is unnecessary, but I wanted a means of double checking alignment accuracy.

Marking corners to remove to allow room for the deflectors.

Marked and ready to route.

Routing internal brace panel.
Bill's method of using individual pieces for braces is more economical--you just use cut off pieces, after all--and probably easier to install. But, the idea of installing all the braces as one single panel had a certain appeal. I just had to give it a try.

Routing a slot for the Vertical Stabilizer.

Internal Brace Panel Template.

Look closely and you will see that I just now cut two internal brace panels, using the brace template. Not trying to show off, just showing you how you can speed things up by using templates. To avoid placing too great of a load on the router, I step-plunged a few times. It still was pretty quick to make these brace panels.

Here I'm really just showing off my '97 T-100 again.

It was more economical to buy the larger tubes of this adhesive.

But, I thought it was a little awkward to handle, so I decided to try a makeshift Grout-Bag. Worked very nicely!

Well, it was just getting interesting, but that's where the pictures stopped.
Sorry.
Once I started working with the adhesive, I didn't want to risk getting any of it on the camera.

Stay tuned, there's another box to go yet, so I'll get more pictures.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 AM

I hate you people and your "real" tools!! Only joking and dreaming about finishing some projects with your table saw. Very nice!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

Nice. I'm also jealous of your equipment (especially table saw) and the wood you have. Wow. The cuts look good. Good job.

Table Saw and Wood?? How about the house! Judging by the ones across the street it's likely pretty sweeet!

I can't help but think how easy THT's would be using a CNC, especially guys with the spare change to buy a low-end model but that's a whole other story. Great looking build..but I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish the exterior since I do believe that's your expertise is it not?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sloppiest build ever!

Read the plans!

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM

I can't wait to see how this performs. I've got two 12s that would be perfect to build these with.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

Table Saw and Wood?? How about the house! Judging by the ones across the street it's likely pretty sweeet!

Our house is more on the affordable side, but it is nice having some really fancy houses nearby.

Quote:

I can't help but think how easy THT's would be using a CNC, especially guys with the spare change to buy a low-end model but that's a whole other story.

Honestly, Bill has made it amazingly easy for anyone to build this.
Like AirSupply said, just read the plans.
Bill shows you how you can build the THT with a Circular Saw and a Straight Edge--he even shows you how to make your own straight edge.
You'd still want either a router or at least a jig saw for the driver cutout, but Bill made this build unbelievably easy for anyone to build.

Quote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish the exterior since I do believe that's your expertise is it not?

I don't really have an expertise, but I do have an idea for the finish.
Originally, I thought that I would finish the entire box with a Red Mahogany tint.
But, almost from the first cut I began kicking an idea around in the back of my mind. It has taken shape in my mind, except for one detail I haven't fully solidified yet.
I'll elaborate a bit more on this later.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great thread, and nice, well planned out work!