Is there any way to use this sub for HT? Pics and specs inside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a few of these im not using in my car anymore, but by looking at the TS specs, I really dont think they would make a good HT sub, and that i might have some serious trouble with 20 hz tuning... But ALOT of the way it sounds is gonna be the enclosure so I guess anythings possible, what do you guys think?\\

specs

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html

Mine are the Level 3 12s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bad link redo
post #3 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Seem to work decently in a tapped horn if the specifications are legit.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Is that a spl driver mostly? It has pretty high bl and very small vas. Xmax is good and fs is pretty decent too. Can't model it right now but it may work. It would probably fit in a tiny enclosure.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, Yea its a "mild" spl driver I used it for one season in spl db drag and Meca spl shows, just to try them out, but they are a daily street sub.. The Bl is pretty high yes, its a pretty stiff suspension, and is capable of being a very good driver, But I didnt know for sure.. Alot of you guys are better at plotting and figuring out what "might" work, so I just thought I would give it a shot.. I have 2 of them so if its possible i would like to try a dual enclosure.. Subs are Dual 2 ohm btw ..

So yea if you guys have a chance to plot these out it would help me out a ton, instead of just wasting $100 on materials and probably quite a few hours to just find out they suck ass and i made a big mistake
post #6 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just to make sure, The link was kind of tucked below, But mine are the 12" level 3s
post #7 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Specs posted appear to be for a dual 4. Re is too high.

I ran a quick TH model already, it is decent. Runs out of excursion with too much power, but plays 20-80 pretty flat. Box is pretty big though. Honestly - if the specs are off - all bets are off.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Specs posted appear to be for a dual 4. Re is too high.

I ran a quick TH model already, it is decent. Runs out of excursion with too much power, but plays 20-80 pretty flat. Box is pretty big though. Honestly - if the specs are off - all bets are off.

Ahhh damn i didnt even notice that.. Im sorry mine ARE dual 4.. Sorry every other VC configuration Ive had for the past 5 yrs has been dual 2..

But yes mine is dual 4,. Do you think the Bl is to high or is that not the biggest issue.. If there is ANYway you guys could help me or figure out something that might work Ill build it no problem.. But if its just not gonna work being as it is more SPL orientated then thats ok too.. I just want a good winter project now that im layed off work
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Biggest issue that I see is with the specs provided, the excursion limits are reached long before the power limits in the quick tapped horn model I threw together. Think I was seeing xmax at only 300 watts applied, but the SPLs were decent for a single 12 (over 115).

Might be an issue for you, might not.

Box is about 12 cubic feet - pretty big. Again - might be an issue, might not.

This model was a five minute effort, not at all tweaked or optimized properly. Several of us have pretty spelled out what to look for and how to do your own modeling in the tutorial thread (link in sig).

Manufacturer provided specs are not something I'd hinge a complicated enclosure on. Stick to a sealed or ported box. No - they wont dig down into the teens, but you have a lot more leeway in getting them to sound decent when you don't know the actual specs of your drivers.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Biggest issue that I see is with the specs provided, the excursion limits are reached long before the power limits in the quick tapped horn model I threw together. Think I was seeing xmax at only 300 watts applied, but the SPLs were decent for a single 12 (over 115).

Might be an issue for you, might not.

Box is about 12 cubic feet - pretty big. Again - might be an issue, might not.

This model was a five minute effort, not at all tweaked or optimized properly. Several of us have pretty spelled out what to look for and how to do your own modeling in the tutorial thread (link in sig).

Manufacturer provided specs are not something I'd hinge a complicated enclosure on. Stick to a sealed or ported box. No - they wont dig down into the teens, but you have a lot more leeway in getting them to sound decent when you don't know the actual specs of your drivers.

Thanks for checking that out for me man.. Ill get a little more info when I talk to the guys at DC tomorrow.. If it doesnt work, I guess Its off to buy the Tempest X2.. A horn might really be to much for this sub too, Maybe a large sealed /ported like you were saying, but its hard to tell
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page