Difference between horn loaded sub and front loaded? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whats the difference between THT horn loaded sub, and say a front loaded sub? Is there a musical or sound difference or do you just get more bass? Does it fill the room better or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Let me see if i can explain it properly haha. The horn load of the sub puts pressure on the cone in turn helping the drivers cone to move less to produce HIGH SPL's. And in turn less cone movement means less mechanical noise from the driver. Horns in general produce much lower distortion than a conventional ported or sealed alginment. Its a completely different sound IMO. I prefer the sound of the horn and am not sure ill ever go back to a conventional ported or sealed alignment. This is my personal opinion and that of some others. A horn takes much much less power to produce high spl's versus the same driver in a ported or sealed box. The THT fills a room really well. My rooms 6900+cuft and the sub is placed over 16' away from my LP and it fills the space just fine. Could i use a second one of course! But its much better than any multiple sub setup ive had. Theres alot more horn design out there than the THT that you can look into if you so choose. But the THT isnt built by many people for no reason.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Could you possible tell me of other horn builds. Also how low of a frequency can the THT hit and will putting in a better more powerful driver give it more bass extention or will it just throw off the tuning of the box. Thanks.

Also I have a AV123 MFW-15, is it a safe bet to say that the THT will be more powerful and go lower than this sub.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvo View Post

Could you possible tell me of other horn builds. Also how low of a frequency can the THT hit and will putting in a better more powerful driver give it more bass extention or will it just throw off the tuning of the box. Thanks.

Also I have a AV123 MFW-15, is it a safe bet to say that the THT will be more powerful and go lower than this sub.

Thanks.

The THT was designed with a specific driver. There is no need to change it.

an MFW-15 isn't even in the same realm of performance as a THT
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The THT will eat that sub for a snack. Its safe to say the THT will be flat to 20hz. Mine with room gain is flat to 16hz. Some are around the same to 15hz and some to only 20hz depends on your room. As far as other horn builds the onyl one thats i know that truley tested it the DTS-10 offered by danley. One of those will run you about $1400-$1500 shipped, built, and amplified oppossed to the THT $400 built, finished, and amplified. Other than that and the THT's the rest of them i have seen are more great idea's and concepts than actually have been built and tested when it come's to something for HT usage. Now there's a few decent designs that are only good at about 30hz-40hz but i wouldnt even consider one of those unless it was for a musical setup only.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page