Dual Opposed AV15H Subwoofer Build - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 802 Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Slightly OT but I was wondering with lowering your mains if you can tell any difference in the sound quality? I would assume it's removing the tweeter from being at ear level so it seems that you'd lose out on some of those frequencies. I have a similar setup planned and was wondering if I should mount the monitors on the wall or just on the subs.

Very nice job on the subs and they are definitely something I'm looking into replicating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 802 Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I do have the S2s currently on Mopads which angle the tweeters up a few degrees, so I can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Thanks on the comments, look forward to your build!

Has JEJ figured out his surround issues with the AV15H drivers? I don't recall seeing an update?

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #783 of 802 Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Did some more EQ'ing (see this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19755559) and ended up settling on keeping the MiniDSP in the mix instead of the DCX2496 (for now anyhow!) with the following adjustments:

Lowshelf
3db gain, Q of 1.8 at 29hz

Peak EQ
-10 db cut, Q of 5 at 39hz

Peak EQ
-5db cut, Q of 3 at 60hz

With Audyssey, the response (front right speaker and dual subs) looks like this:

Pretty flat to almost 10hz.

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to keep the most current FR in this thread!
LL
LL

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #784 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Been trying to get rid of that nasty dip around 83hz for a while using the distance setting. Managed to reduce it considerably, but never truly get rid of it. So spent a few hours yesterday incorporating the PB13 in sealed tune into the setup. The blue line is before fiddling with the distance control, the purple line is the best I could do using the AVR's distance control (probably should have tried the DCX delay control on each sub individually ... but hey, I'm lazy). The green line below is with the PB13 in sealed tune incorporated.

Not bad? I'm assuming I won't have issues with the PB13 in sealed re: overdriving the sub in my fairly small 1700 cubes or so family room?

LL

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #785 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What causes the 80hz dips anyways?

I got one in my "room" and its not the system as I measured nearfiedl and it was fine.

post #786 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Common room mode of some sort I'm guessing? Or in other cases, incorrect distance/phase settings with systems crossed at 80hz.

I'm crossed at 250hz in the above graphs and prior to adding the PB13 in sealed had to cross at 40hz to eliminate the dip, which wasn't possible given my S2's won't do very well at high volumes crossed so low! Have already blown the woof twice on one of them due likely to having them crossed too low when I first purchased them ...

Edit: BTW, the PB13 is nearfield while the AV15H are positioned near the fronts.

Even nearfield crossed at 250hz the bass isn't localized, likely due to the front AV15H's doing most of the work, can barely hear the PB13 as it's very very low , used it mostly to fill the hole at 80hz.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #787 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I mentioned previously in this thread about the dual opposed reflection off the back wall creating cancellation with the front woofer. Bosso seemed to have some sort of agreement with this while others disagreed. I'm not an expert in this area though.
post #788 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Don't know. But I'm quite pleased with the FR and sound with the PB13 nearfield as a 3rd woof. Provides a tad more "feel" to the system. Just watched How to Train Your Dragon again and it sounded/felt amazing.

Well, except for the main character's voice. It makes me want to throw my CC out the window as it's so annoying and makes my system sound harsh/whiny.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #789 of 802 Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it's improved. More is better
post #790 of 802 Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I mentioned previously in this thread about the dual opposed reflection off the back wall creating cancellation with the front woofer. Bosso seemed to have some sort of agreement with this while others disagreed. I'm not an expert in this area though.

I'm no expert either but we (both TJHUB and I) seemed to come to the same conclusion with the measurements we were seeing in his room with both single and dual submersives..

He has since moved to 2 x 18" LMS's in my old single driver boxes and has much better looking response in the same locations.

My Dual Opposed LMS's aren't facing the walls in my room, they are turned on an angle, plus my super high ceilings I don't really see that issue for my room...

post #791 of 802 Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to know somebody other than pbc and Bosso has experienced this. Was it also in the 80hz range? Or in a range related to the distance to the rear wall and 1/4 wave length? Thanks.
post #792 of 802 Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Just another form of SBIR. Keep the outermost driver at no more than about three feet from the wall and up to an 80hz xo you shouldn't have this problem. Proportionately closer still to the wall is required for increasing xo point.

post #793 of 802 Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
pbc-

Can you just sell me this setup, and you can build out the 8 x Fi 15" in dual opposed boxes with the clone amp and let me know how it turned out?

-Greg

post #794 of 802 Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

I'm just hoping that John starts to build the AV15H drivers again so that eventually when I have a larger basement HT room I can just add another 2 boxes and 4 drivers.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #795 of 802 Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I'm just hoping that John starts to build the AV15H drivers again so that eventually when I have a larger basement HT room I can just add another 2 boxes and 4 drivers.

Me 3. Your thread is great and those turned out really nice. I'm sure the sound quality is through the roof. How do they compare on that end to everything else you have heard?

-Greg

post #796 of 802 Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Having used a AV15X driver and several other 15" drivers such as CSS SDX, TC Sound LMS, etc., I can say that the mid-bass on the AV15X is the best I've heard. On the other hand, due to their 23xmax, they will give up a little in the low bass but if you were to use several of them, you'll be fine.

I wanted more of them but they're not available and who knows when they are going to be back. Right now I'm going with JBL GTI 15" MK's and I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get the amp. They are a high quality low distortion driver that extend high, 20xmax but are a bit expensive.
post #797 of 802 Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
why didn`t you use braces?
post #798 of 802 Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco pasta View Post

why didn`t you use braces?

Not sure what you mean, I did brace the sub..

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #799 of 802 Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A friend of mine has a AV15X sealed & it' the best sub I have ever heard. I would order one today but unfortunately its looking like these are pretty much never going to happen or at least for a very very long time. The last message posted by John was not very "optimistic" but at least he's being honest. I'm jealous of AV owners as they are special collectors item's.
post #800 of 802 Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genelec Man View Post

I'm jealous of AV owners as they are special collectors item's.

Until the driver goes and there is no ability to replace it or fix it and those of us with dual opposed boxes ...

Knock on wood...

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #801 of 802 Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Until the driver goes and there is no ability to replace it or fix it and those of us with dual opposed boxes ...

Knock on wood...

Great build pbc !! they look great !!

Would a Dayton driver something like the RSS390 HO be a good candidate for dual opposed Sub similar to yours ?? or a RSS315 HO for a smaller version ?
post #802 of 802 Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Bumping my own old thread.

Curious, been thinking about the cabinets and possibly refinishing them with a veneer of some sort, but have ZERO experience with veneering anything. A couple questions:

1. How difficult would it be to veneer cabinets like these given a) the 3/4" (or whatever it was) tight round over on the sides and b) the way I have done the stepped in baffle? May consider doing the front baffles in black vs veneering them just in case.
2. Would I need to sand down/off or strip the existing stain, or can veneer be applied right over the top?
3. Parents are in Florida for a few more weeks, are there specific types/vendors of veneer that are recommended for ease of application/staining vs others?

Thanks!

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page