Wayne Parham's Pi 4 Build Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nichol1997,

Sorry to bring up the question on the ports you used on this pair of speakers. I’ve followed your posts and am moving on a similar build in a few weeks. Can’t wait. I saw your testing results on the PISpeakers forum and they look great.

I just wanted to double check a detail with you if you have a moment – For your Tall 4PI speakers each speaker has two ports and each port has an Internal diameter of the port at 4". The length of both ports is 9.25". Correct?

Just wanted to make sure Nichol1997 as I saw another builder of 4Pis do each speaker with one port per speaker at 4" port at 5" long. Wondering if I mis-understood you.

This is the speaker build with the single shorter port - http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=16392&start=0&

Wondering if the single 4” diameter port is doing the same as two longer run 4” diameter ports you are using.

Newbie here. My real question is just confirming the two 4” diameter ports per speaker.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Andy,
You got it right. Both of my ports are 4" internal diameter and each is 9.25" long. On the face of the baffle, I put a slight round-over on each of the ports by using a router with a round-over bit. If you decide not to do this then it will only effect the tuning by a couple hertz which is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. When you build them you can try various port lengths and see what you like best (this is common practice for putting the final tweaks on a speaker).

For the link that you posted, I am not sure what tuning he was going for. It looks like he did a modified Pi4 build as well. For my build, I made the enclosure bigger and increased the length of the ports to lower the tuning (lower F3) to get more bass out of the 2226 driver.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM

I ended up building a pair of speakers using this design. I thought I should post on this thread as the design is not mine. The outcome was excellent and the sound is amazing. I hope Nichol1997 sees this post to know his sharing and helping was appreciated.

I had another thread on this forum where I sort of went off on people. I was stressing as I was mid build and people were advising that the deviation from the design of Wayne was a bad idea. I purchased about 300 bucks worth of CNC cut OKOUME wood and was all in at that point. Things turned out well. All I can say is my ears are happy. Sorry for being a pain in the a$$ on this forum. I think I'm better now biggrin.gif

Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Here is some extra stuff I had that may be of value to someone else thinking of the build.

I wonder what this would have been like using the SEOS horn in place of the Emmenance H290 and B&C DE250.... The JBL 2226H would work either way I think.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM

The above are two cut sheets for 4' X 8' 3/4" Marine Grade Mahogany OKOUME... Any 4' X 8' 3/4" ply could be subbed too... Void free.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantha3 View Post

I wonder what this would have been like using the SEOS horn in place of the Emmenance H290 and B&C DE250.... The JBL 2226H would work either way I think.

SEOS horns cannot be used in the three Pi or four Pi loudspeakers. The threads below discuss why in some detail, but basically the SEOS device is too short. Pi Speakers use the H290C waveguide/horn, which was designed specifically for our loudspeakers. Our waveguide is the best upgrade path for the older Eminence horn.

User Tag List