Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 822 Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, my first post here, im all the way from Sweden

Thanks for all the effort you´ve done on making these subs, impressive!

Thinking about making me a couple... ho makes the anarchy speakers?
I hope there is a seller in Europe, will be expensive with taxes and shipment
from the US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 822 Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"I hope there is a seller in Europe, will be expensive with taxes and shipment
from the US"

Originally Posted by lilmike
The Tang Band W6-1139SI is a pretty good fit, is that available?

The original driver is the Exodus Anarchy 6.5 in. The Tang Band is a good substitute.
post #543 of 822 Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

"I hope there is a seller in Europe, will be expensive with taxes and shipment
from the US"

Originally Posted by lilmike
The Tang Band W6-1139SI is a pretty good fit, is that available?

The original driver is the Exodus Anarchy 6.5 in. The Tang Band is a good substitute.

I think i can get hold of the tangband but the exodus looks so exciting
Been googling a bit but i cant figure out what exodus homepage is?
post #544 of 822 Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Found out that diycable is the maker of that little beast,
mailed them and ask if its available in Europe.
post #545 of 822 Old 04-16-2011, 04:39 PM

I brought the first of these I have built into the house this afternoon and have been giving it a small workout. What a great design! Tight, quick, responsive. I used the Tang Band driver that was on sale last week for $40 and it has really impressed me. I have a couple of the Exodus Anarchy drivers to put in cabs for the living room. These will find their way into my downstairs theater for use when the bigger ones are just too much. Alot of my wife's friends and the little kids that come to visit just cannot take too much. These are very well mannered, and sound very nice with electronic music.

Once I get my hands on a couple of 30hz high passes I will punish them a bit and see how they handle it.

I don't see how I could ever buy another subwoofer again. These are just too cost effective and fun to build.

Happy
post #546 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Hey Rob,

Have you done any bass sweeps with the subs? I just finished my first one and it rattles/resonates down in the 20s. I will also be putting a highpass on them ~30 so it should not be an issue. Just wondering if I screwed up the construction.
post #547 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Hey Lilmike,

I'm not to smart when it comes to horns. I have no idea what parameters define the design. But I have 4 of these kicking around:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-164

The parameters look similar to the Anarchy, except the xmax is way less. However, sensitivity is a bit up and I could go easy on them. I know it's a long shot, but any chance these are a suitable replacement?

Thanks for any help.
post #548 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
That driver is not the best fit in this tapped horn. It runs out of excursion at 10 watts. The bigger issue is that it may not physically fit into the horn, as it has that large bucking magnet on the back.

Sorry for the negative news.

On a positive note - if you're willing to accept the driver's power limits and ~100 dB as the limit, I do have a larger fold that these should work just fine in, but that data is all on my PC at home.
post #549 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Hey no problem. It's what I expected. Thanks anyways
post #550 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomepete View Post

Hey Rob,

Have you done any bass sweeps with the subs? I just finished my first one and it rattles/resonates down in the 20s. I will also be putting a highpass on them ~30 so it should not be an issue. Just wondering if I screwed up the construction.

I haven't done anything but put a high pass filter on them and abuse them like they owe me money. Very solid. The one with the Tang band sounds really good, and the other with the Anarchy Exodus just plain smokes. I wonder what one of these in the car would sound like. It would fit in the boot of the Volvo but I don't think the wife would approve of my shenanegans.

I will eventually get off my duff and test some stuff but right now I am too busy with a remodel of the master bathroom in the house and 3 different horns I am trying to build right now.

btw, lilmike, the 8" Tang Band is just plain ferocious. I finally got it sealed up and it is not at all polite to anything I own in the room. I think my wife is going to put it in time out. The dog fears it, the kids avoid it, the friends dig it. It seems to me to be a near perfect trade off of size and output.
post #551 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Flanery View Post

btw, lilmike, the 8" Tang Band is just plain ferocious. I finally got it sealed up and it is not at all polite to anything I own in the room. I think my wife is going to put it in time out. The dog fears it, the kids avoid it, the friends dig it. It seems to me to be a near perfect trade off of size and output.

Yup....I like this one too. The failed beta units I built a few months back rocked, (115 dB at the couch in room, from one....) even though I made some serious mistakes with that fold and build. Now that I've fixed that, the new ones are considerably better. I have wood cut for four of them....

For the beta builders - I'll have a thread started soon. When I do, please chime in with your builds and results. For the rest of you - plans and details are coming.

This is the Cinema T-6.
post #552 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike, you know I have the Fosgate amp and it dawned on me that I have the option of using it as dual bridged. (1 sub to 1 bridged output) It's rated at 200w at 8ohms. So, keep the SS filter at 30hz and full volume or there's a chance of blowing the driver? Or the SS filter will protect it no matter what?

Evil is Good
post #553 of 822 Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no need. 200 W is more than the voice coil can take, and you'll run past excursion limits at around 100 watts.

With a 200 Watt amp and a 100 watt driver, even if the excursion is OK, you'll melt the coil if you run it wide open. Excursion is only one limit, the coil's long term thermal limit is the other. Thermal failure is not pretty, and it smells pretty bad too.....

I cut the surround and spider to perform the autopsy. The coil still had continuity, but I think I found the problem.

I've driven the Anarchy hard enough to hear bad noises, and it took less than 200 watts to get there. Headroom is good, but only if you have it through the entire system, otherwise you just find the weakest link.
post #554 of 822 Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, 1/2 volume then. Reason is that's it's 60w per channel normally and I figured to go dual bridge and play with volume, let's say half way and get around 100w. Does that make sense?

Evil is Good
post #555 of 822 Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The volume knob does not limit the power of the amp per se.

As long as your highpass is functioning properly, and you're not overdriving things, you should be alright. It is just that the amp has more headroom than the speaker, so you could burn the speaker's coil up. Tapped horns will warn you a little bit that they're being overdriven, but not nearly as much as a sealed or ported cabinet. As long as excursion is not an issue, I smell warm coils long before I hear drivers complain. Excursion is another story altogether. With sine waves, you can hear suspension noises, but I've not clanked one yet. I've not noticed this at all with music, and I have driven an Anarchy hard.
post #556 of 822 Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Flanery View Post

I brought the first of these I have built into the house this afternoon and have been giving it a small workout. What a great design! Tight, quick, responsive. I used the Tang Band driver that was on sale last week for $40 and it has really impressed me. I have a couple of the Exodus Anarchy drivers to put in cabs for the living room. These will find their way into my downstairs theater for use when the bigger ones are just too much. Alot of my wife's friends and the little kids that come to visit just cannot take too much. These are very well mannered, and sound very nice with electronic music.

Once I get my hands on a couple of 30hz high passes I will punish them a bit and see how they handle it.

I don't see how I could ever buy another subwoofer again. These are just too cost effective and fun to build.

Happy

Is there a very noticeable difference in sound quality between the Tang Bands and the Anarchies?
post #557 of 822 Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post
Is there a very noticeable difference in sound quality between the Tang Bands and the Anarchies?
Rob posted some initial comments over in the group buy thread.

I feel similarly.
post #558 of 822 Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 AM

The Tang Bands are sloppy by comparison.

That's not to say they sound bad because they don't. They sound very good. But the Anarchy's are just better in all respects. they get plenty loud and sound very tight. I will use both for different tasks at home. The Tang Bands will spend time in the garage playing music while the Anarchy's will reside in the living room upstairs.

Neither of them will go to waste. You would be pleased with either I suspect. If not you will probably need to spend a LOT more money to build something else. Or perhaps a T6?
post #559 of 822 Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I look at it this way. Mike designed the damn thing with the recommended Anarchy driver. WHY settle for less?

Do it right the first time.

Evil is Good
post #560 of 822 Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

I look at it this way. Mike designed the damn thing with the recommended Anarchy driver. WHY settle for less?

Do it right the first time.

I agree. I love my cabs with the anarchy's installed in them
post #561 of 822 Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
OK, OK....I'm going with the Anarchies.
post #562 of 822 Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With the small footprint of this design, has anyone tried this tapped horn in their car?

I'd think this would be a nice combo for an efficient, small formfactor sub
post #563 of 822 Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 AM

What sort of output should we expect from these guys? I have one that is pretty good but the other has a nasty rattle if pushed.
post #564 of 822 Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

In a groundplane setting with an Anarchy at full tilt, one should do close to 105 dB at a meter. 86 dB plus ~19 dB (with 75 watts applied) = 105 dB

Rattling is not a typical sound, especially from the Anarchy driver.
post #565 of 822 Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I got my first (of 2) installed in the HT last night, and it works as advertized.

Sensitivity
Audyssey set the 6.5 at -13dB. PE BASH 300 amp set at 12 o'clock.
Audyssey also sets my Tempest X at -13dB, sealed 3 cu ft, OAudio 500 amp also set at 12 o'clock, 16Hz boost setting.
Yes, the 15 has a lot greater power capacity, but no greater sensitivity.

Extension
Before running Audyssey, I did some A/B comparisons at the Tempest settings. The 6.5 was a litle boomy, as expected given the EQ, and it was clearly missing the bottom octave. Dark Side, On the Run, the heartbeat was missing the rest of the wump. I know the Tempest is good to 10Hz, and suspect I'm hearing the extension limited by the horn's design limit. Clearly, I'm spoiled.

Bottom line
I wanted a sub to go with a second room set-up, aimed more at music than theater. These things will be great in that sort of application. Thanks for a very nice design!

HAve fun,
Frank
post #566 of 822 Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Hi I am looking at building at least one of these subs. i need some help with the amp side. I am thinking of using a plate amp as they seem simple (this is my first sub build.) I have seen that the foster amps are now no longer available. I have seen one from jaycar as i live in oz or the dayton from parts express . If I use one of these do I still need any crossovers. Eg the high pass @ 25hz.

i would add hyperlinks but cant as this is my first post. damn spamers
Thank You
post #567 of 822 Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoley View Post

Hi I am looking at building at least one of these subs. i need some help with the amp side. I am thinking of using a plate amp as they seem simple (this is my first sub build.) I have seen that the foster amps are now no longer available. I have seen one from jaycar as i live in oz or the dayton from parts express . If I use one of these do I still need any crossovers. Eg the high pass @ 25hz.

i would add hyperlinks but cant as this is my first post. damn spamers
Thank You

Something like this might work for a pair. This one does not look too bad either. You may be better off sourcing an amp that has more information available than this one though, I could find no information about a subsonic filter. I strongly suggest a subsonic at ~25 Hz with this cabinet. Can you source an old stereo receiver? Some of the nice older ones have plenty of power to drive these.
post #568 of 822 Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I got PE's 300W BASH, and mounted it in an outboard box. It's about the same price as the one's mike linked, and possibly more power than you need. Attached is a pic of the box hanging on the access plate before finishing. The amp is rated 300W @ 4 ohm, but 150 @ 8 ohms, almost too much power for this horn, plus it's got an appropriate SS roll-off. I mounted the amp with terminals on the outside, so I can run a second horn from it.

I need to take some finished pictures....

Have fun,
Frank
LL
post #569 of 822 Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM

i can get my hand on a NAD 3020b. but i only plan to build one sub for now as i live in a flat and just want to see how it goes. by subsonic filter is that the same as a high pass.

i have seen a Hypex DS2.0 Plate Amplifier AUD $269.00 so a $100 more than the other plate amps. also i have seen you all talk about Behringer A500 amp. i can buy it for aud$219.

Also so i think i could get my hands on a Yamaha sub. would be around the 15y old mark. maybe i could use the plate from that?
post #570 of 822 Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
hmmm - I want one!

I have a jtr captovatpor but was thinking of running this right behind my couch as an MBM.

Is there any cheap way to incorporate a delay into the closer sub?

what about phase issues?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page