post #661 of 829 Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedmeat View Post

What do people do with these plate amps? I'm under the impression that they won't fit into this specific enclosure, so, do most people stick them on a shelf somewhere, build a special box just for the amp or what?

You are correct, you cannot put a plate amp into this horn. I don't know what 'most' people do, but I have seen several build threads where people building tapped horns built a separate box for a plate amp. Then they run the wires from the plate amp box to the horn just like you would with a rack mounted amplifier.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember where they actually put the amp boxes in their setup.

Where are you putting the horns? If you put the amp in a box and finish it like the horn cabinet, you could probably put it on top of the horn.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 829 Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Where are you putting the horns? If you put the amp in a box and finish it like the horn cabinet, you could probably put it on top of the horn.

I was thinking I'd place one on either side of the entertainment center, a few feet away from my front speakers. So one would essentially be in the corner of the room and the other would be on the far end of a wall right next to a hallway. Either way, both would stand out and be pretty visible.
post #663 of 829 Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

You are correct, you cannot put a plate amp into this horn. I don't know what 'most' people do, ...If you put the amp in a box and finish it like the horn cabinet, you could probably put it on top of the horn.

I considered a surface mount; the BASH 300 I used is open in back, but the PWBs line up the wrong way to not affect air flow, and there's a driver in the way. SA70 is closed back, so no way.

I made a bustle, a separate box, attached at driver level, a few inches off the floor. The BASH 300 is 11x7" so I had some room to work on an 8" wide box. The SA70 is 7 1/2 x 8 11/16, so it's a tight fit, but no need for any ventilation. Stand-alone boxes are fine, too - I just saw pics of a dual BASH 300 system with boxed amps.

The top of the horn is where I put the speakers...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #664 of 829 Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

I considered a surface mount; the BASH 300 I used is open in back, but the PWBs line up the wrong way to not affect air flow, and there's a driver in the way. SA70 is closed back, so no way.

I made a bustle, a separate box, attached at driver level, a few inches off the floor. The BASH 300 is 11x7" so I had some room to work on an 8" wide box. The SA70 is 7 1/2 x 8 11/16, so it's a tight fit, but no need for any ventilation. Stand-alone boxes are fine, too - I just saw pics of a dual BASH 300 system with boxed amps.

The top of the horn is where I put the speakers...

HAve fun,
Frank

Hi Frank,

Any chance you could link me to some pics? It sounds like this could still be feasible for me, but I'd like to see a few of these separate boxes.
Thank you!
post #665 of 829 Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 10
The SA70 only puts out 45w at 8 ohms, which isn't enough for one of these subs. At a minimum, I'd use the SA100 for one or the SA240 for two.
I went with the shelf mount SA230 for my two subs and it works well. The built in 18 hz crossover is a bit too low if your are driving the subs moderately hard with base heavy movies. A 25 hz crossover fixed that problem.
post #666 of 829 Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
I've been really thinking about building 4 of these for my room. Anyone know how they compare to an older SVS 25-31 PCi sub? Might be a great choice to go with the Arx towers, they use 5.25" XBL2 woofers almost looks like a 5.25" version of the Anarchy.
post #667 of 829 Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Ok, build finished and getting ready to order the amp and the fmod high pass - can I get away with the 20hz or do I have to get the 30?

Spongebob quote - "But Squidward, we already played babble like an idiot."
post #668 of 829 Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What amp are you considering? PE's BASH 300 has a nice LF roll-off that works well with this design, without the complexity of external filters like fmods. It's documented somewhere above as it wasn't my idea, just passing it on.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #669 of 829 Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM

The Audiosource 100. http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AM.../dp/B00026BQJ6 I looked at the BASH but didn't feel like messing with a plate amp.

post #670 of 829 Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM

photo-2.JPG 1471k .JPG file

Well, the twins are finally hooked up and powered (they're the twin, black towers under the front wide speakers). Even with a quick and dirty calibration they sound great. Thanks for all the info and support for a great project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-2.JPG (1.44 MB, 98 views)

post #671 of 829 Old 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejfK View Post

Ok, build finished and getting ready to order the amp and the fmod high pass - can I get away with the 20hz or do I have to get the 30?

They look good, what high pass did you end up using?
post #672 of 829 Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 PM

I have the 30 on order, but I couldn't wait to hook things up. I'm not pushing them too hard right now. I'll through them in later and feel less worried about blowing them up. If they're even cleaner sounding with the high passes, great.

post #673 of 829 Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LejfK View Post

I have the 30 on order, but I couldn't wait to hook things up. I'm not pushing them too hard right now. I'll through them in later and feel less worried about blowing them up. If they're even cleaner sounding with the high passes, great.

Is there a reason you went with a 30 Fmod instead of a 25? Curious is all. lilmike suggests a high pass filter of 25 with this sub.

Edit: There isn't a 25 hz Fmod available. Either 20 or 30. So 20 must be too low, I assume.
post #674 of 829 Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Actual frequency of the Fmod depends on the equipment it is in line with. There are more details about this on their website.

While anything is an improvement over no highpass at all, I feel that a DSP is the best option, as I can take care of EQ as well as low and highpass, all in one box.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #675 of 829 Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 AM

While I don't doubt that the DSP is the best option, the 30 FMOD seems to be meeting my needs. After listening to the system for a week or so with them in, I still have the full, clean low end that I was looking for. So, based on my fully non-scientific approach, with the Audiosource 100 the FMODs seems to be a decent bare-budget solution. cool.gif

post #676 of 829 Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thinking about building this sub for my cousin and maybe one for my art room but I have a few questions.

What kind of peak SPL should we see from a single sub?

Also, is there a plate amp out there that has a built in HPF at about 25hz?

Trying to keep the build around $250 but seems more like $300+. It doesn't seem like that good of a value if you don't build multiplies.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

post #677 of 829 Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Check lilmike's #39, #43 above; also Radman12's #124. For power, you can see #666 but there are several others.

You can purchase the flat-pack (if you so desire) at www.diysoundgroup.com.
post #678 of 829 Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Thinking about building this sub for my cousin and maybe one for my art room but I have a few questions.
What kind of peak SPL should we see from a single sub?
Also, is there a plate amp out there that has a built in HPF at about 25hz?
Trying to keep the build around $250 but seems more like $300+. It doesn't seem like that good of a value if you don't build multiplies.

First, I just want to make sure you understand that you cannot install a plate amp into this cabinet, the plate amp would have to be external to the cabinet. Now, if you are still interested in a plate amp with built in HPF, several people have mentioned that the Bash 300W plate amp has a HPF that matches up with this horn pretty well.

SPL measurements for a single sub are on the first page of this thread.

The value of a tapped horn like this is that it can produce subwoofeer frequencies with less power than a conventional subwoofer. The disadvantages are that the cabinet is much larger than a conventional subwoofer and the frequency range you can produce is much narrower.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

post #679 of 829 Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM

I built this build, and purchased a dayton 240w plate amp but need a little help. I have the sub connected to my pc's onboard sound in the center/sub connector then straight into the amp, I have the low pass filter set at 100hz. I have a hum or buzz at all times, aIso haven't figured a good gain setting since when I turn up the volume on my swan monitors it's independent of the sub. Do I need a DSP or something else for the signal processing instead of coming right out of the sound card? Please let me know the best way for my Swan monitors, and this sub to play nice, I'm just looking for the best quality sound I can get.
post #680 of 829 Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I see two problems.

Ground loop with the SA-240

Active monitors

Ground loops can be a pain, but can usually be resolved, Lots of others have managed to get their 240s to play well with their systems.

Active monitors are a little tougher - if you don't control the volume with the PC, but rather with the speakers, the PC sub level will not match the speakers. Easy fix is to switch to controlling the volume with the PC, but that may not be practical for you.

post #681 of 829 Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

With the SA-240, quite a few individuals have had good luck with a ground loop isolator
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-012
If in a hurry, get one at Radio Shack.
post #682 of 829 Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 AM

I will try the ground loop isolator thanks man, do I need a high pass filter too?
post #683 of 829 Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

A high pass filter is for limiting excursion at lower frequencies. If you do not have 'too large' of an amp or have a sealed sub in a quite small enclosure, then you likely do not need to worry. You may need to run WINISD to determine what your likely excursion is at different frequencies. The excursion is determined by the T/S (Thiele/Small) parameters of the driver, the size of the enclosure, whether ported, sealed, etc., and the amount of power being supplied by the amp.
post #684 of 829 Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi,

How would these horns do in a FAST setup?
Crossed at around 80-100 Hz, with a Markaudio Alpair 7.3 in a separate sealed box on top of the horn box, both driven by a Hypex AS2.100?
post #685 of 829 Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

WinISD won't model a tapped horn. I recommend a minimum of a 12 dB/octave highpass at 20 Hz for this sub. The driver can be over-driven by out-of-band material.

If you have the SA240, there is a highpass filter in the amp. Depending on the version you have, it might be a touch too low in frequency, but can be modified by changing two resistors. There are lots of how-to's on the web.

post #686 of 829 Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM

hey where did all the docs go?
post #687 of 829 Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the disappearing docs, looks like radman12's server went down.

He's aware of it and will get things operational as soon as he can.

I think I have the plans and cutlists all saved on my home PC, PM me if you need them.

post #688 of 829 Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Also - there is more documentation of this project over at AudioKarma.

The tapped horn data starts about here.

post #689 of 829 Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 AM

Any chance of some more flatpacks being made?? I bought 6 of the Tang Bands the last time they were on sale, and I finally got around to putting together the two flat packs that I ordered - and they ROCK!! I was hoping to buy another two flatpacks but it looks like they are OOS on DIYSoundgroup.com
post #690 of 829 Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard711 View Post

Any chance of some more flatpacks being made?? I bought 6 of the Tang Bands the last time they were on sale, and I finally got around to putting together the two flat packs that I ordered - and they ROCK!! I was hoping to buy another two flatpacks but it looks like they are OOS on DIYSoundgroup.com

Erich orders them in batches, so let him know you are interested (there should be a link on the web site somewhere) so you can get into the queue. This way Erich will know that more people are interested.

He has been swamped with real work (I believe he does professional landscaping) and the SEOS orders. According to another thread, he just received 7 tons of material that needs to be broken up and sent out to people. Just throwing that out there so you understand if he doesn't reply right away.

Chris

--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page