Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
On the patent issue, unless you are a profitable target, you will only receive a cease and desist letter. Nobody is going to spend six figures in legal fees to sue a small target. They will just tell them to stop. You can probably sell flat packs of horns with no issues, especially since it's not a complete product. If an issue arises, it will most likely be a letter informing you to stop violating the patented design, you'll stop, and that will be the end of it.
I have to get 100 of them cut to keep the price low. On the second run they did allow for 75 simply because that's all the wood they had. My worry is if I get 100 done and I'm told to stop selling them after just 10 are sold, and I have 90 left over.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Probably could pay a patent attorney a few hundred dollars and have all the answers. Might be a good idea, especially if in the future some company decides to patent the waveguide, etc...

Also, I'm not sure how the Creative Commons law works with this sort of thing too.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I have to get 100 of them cut to keep the price low. On the second run they did allow for 75 simply because that's all the wood they had. My worry is if I get 100 done and I'm told to stop selling them after just 10 are sold, and I have 90 left over.
If you sold them for, say $100/pack, how many would you have to have pre-orders for to make it worth assuming the risk of being left with some stock if you had to stop selling them? Or maybe there is some other balance that could work.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what the smallest number of them could be cut without the price getting up around $100. It's been 2 or 3 years since those were cut, so I'd have to ask.

It would be much better to just get permission from Tom Danley, but he's a pretty busy guy and I doubt I would get an email reply. I sent him an email a couple years ago but didn't hear back.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'd really like to see these brought back. Have a secondary room i'd like to get at least 4 of them. Also great as a PC set up subwoofer and car audio these things rock.

I would pre-order 4 of them if they are going to become available.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent Danley Sound Labs another email last night to see if it was okay.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I built two, one a flat pack, the other from scratch. Building from scratch is not the barrier folks make it out to be. Better for Erich to get the business, but not a good reason to change your plans.

For me, the key was understanding that the internal panels form two assemblies based on the two horizontal walls. Get them right, and all you do is locate the corners of each assembly, one of which is shared (they connect). A brad can help keep things in place. Final assembly was done sitting on an undersize box, so I could clamp the edges while using mass (cinder blocks) to clamp the internal panels.

The other nice thing is that these internal panels are the same width, a width that fit on my table saw, so I could cut all exactly the same. I can tell which is which, by eye but not by ear.

HAve fun,
Frank
Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Just get 100 preorders, problem solved. I know I'd be in for 4, and someone else mentioned they want 4, and I'm sure there are countless others who would want a few. I bet you could pre-sell 100 of them pretty easily. And as someone else mentioned, all you're doing is selling cut up pieces of wood. What people decide to do with that wood when they get it is up to them. Although, the dadoed joints for all of the pieces may poke a hole in that defense. LOL.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:12 AM

Out of curiosity, and maybe placement flexibility, would it change this speaker acoustically if the mouth were moved to the short side by blocking the mouth and cutting an equally sized one on the adjacent side? I'm guessing it would, since it would effectively shorten the last section, but I thought I'd ask.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousburke View Post
Out of curiosity, and maybe placement flexibility, would it change this speaker acoustically if the mouth were moved to the short side by blocking the mouth and cutting an equally sized one on the adjacent side? I'm guessing it would, since it would effectively shorten the last section, but I thought I'd ask.
I did mouths through the side with my T-6s, which was based on this design, but is designed to be a one-sheet build - all the horn I could get out of a single sheet of plywood.

There were some changes in the response vs. what the model predicted, but they still worked well enough for me to use them for several years which says something.

Make sure you cut the hole in the right place, without compromising the seal on any of the remaining horn, and make sure that the area of the mouth you cut through the side is appropriate.
klipsch likes this.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Thanks lilmike!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All:

My first post here. After reviewing this lengthy thread I am excited about the possibility of building two of the tapped horns using the anarchy drivers. Before I get started, however, I want to make sure a pair of these subs will work for my application.

I am in the process of a major home remodel, including the media room. Unfortunately, the room is not a dedicated HT room. A portion of the room will be dedicated to a home office.

A diagram of the room is attached. The room is 14x 21 feet. For speakers, I have build five 4.5 liter boxes that will each house a single Jordan Eikona driver. The Jordans in this configuration will naturally bottom out at around 80-85 Hz. The R, C and L boxes will be recessed into the wall with the flat panel and the rears will be placed in the ceiling above the couch.

The proposed position (the red rectangles) of the tapped horns is also shown in the diagram.

The goal here is to design a system that has more of an emphasis on musical sound quality than THX levels and shaking the house. I realize, after reading many posts in this thread, that four tapped horns is best/ideal for HT. But that is just not practical in my situation.

My hope is that two tapped horns will work for my needs. Would appreciate some feedback from anyone with practical experience in whether my plan will work or not.

Also any comments regarding the proposed placement would be helpful.

One last thing... I am also considering a TBI Magellan sub. But my sense is a pair of tapped horns will provide more bang for the buck. Would appreciate any feedback of the tapped horns vs. the TBI sub as well.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen Shot.pdf (92.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Two Picowreckers would be better for that big of a room. About the same cost but about twice the size. Still relatively small though.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 AM

Liked: 28
I have two of them in a 12' x 13' space, so my 2¢: ...they do a nice job of filling in the bottom end, but there's no breaking the Iron Triangle- you get "small" and "low", but it takes more box to get "loud".

There is no Honor in Mediocrity
Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Thanks Samps and ejh2852 for posting.

Seems like you are both lukewarm on my plan.

That raises another question in my mind. Perhaps I would be better off going a more traditional route and just building a pair of sealed square boxes and using some drivers from parts express or the like. I am curious as to how the anarchy tapped horns will compare?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejh2854 View Post
I have two of them in a 12' x 13' space, so my 2¢: ...they do a nice job of filling in the bottom end, but there's no breaking the Iron Triangle- you get "small" and "low", but it takes more box to get "loud".
I'd say you get "small" and "loud," but not "low"...

I compared one of mine with a 15" sealed sub in 3 cu ft., about twice the size. Similar for music, but no one would miss the difference playing Dark Side of the Moon, or watching a bass-heavy (i.e. modern action) movie. The infra-sonic octave is missing, by design in the Anarchy tapped horn. The also have limited power handling, a 10x difference in this comparison. Infrasonic frequency reproduction requires power.

But the TH is half the size... and I have real questions about the claims from TBI, but for $1250, they may deliver a little more low end than the Anarchy TH. It just doesn't compare to a $125 part cost for the TH.

Have fun,
Frank
Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Frank:

Thanks for the great feedback. Glad to hear that the anarchy TH's are somewhat comparable to a large sealed box.

In my situation, the goal is to fill out the bottom end, but not shake the house *he wife actually finds earth-shaking bass annoying). Aesthetics are also an issue. Plan to have the TH cabinets painted to match the cabinet below the TV to match.

Anymore comments on these issues are welcome.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM

I've decided to go forward with this project and build two of the TH using the anarchy drivers.

The next items up is selecting the electronics. I don't have any spare amps hanging around so a new amp and hp filter need to be purchased. My budget is around $300.

After looking around online, I've narrowed my choices down to:

- A miniDSP 2x4 and Dayton SA230 amp

- Crown XLS 1002

- Inuke1000DSP

Couple of questions please.....

1. Is there any consensus on whether a conventional class A/B or the Class D amps offer better SQ?

2. Is the DSP functionality more robust on the miniDSP vs. either of the pro amps? Does it really matter for 2 (and at some point possible 4) anarchy THs?

3. For my surround processor, I will be using an old McIntosh MAC-3, which has only a single LFE output. The plan is to use a splitter so I can drive two the channels (If I really like these subs, I may build two more and run a pair in parallel per channel). Will there any LFE voltage compatibility issues with either of the pro amps?

Kind of leaning toward the miniDSP/Dayton solution followed by the Crown over the Inuke because regular RCA cables can be used. But would like to get some advice before making any purchases. Thanks.....
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This would work great for two Anarchy: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails. Even has a subsonic filter at 20 hz. Probably dont want the Anarchy playing that low anyway.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by steste1122 View Post
This would work great for two Anarchy: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails. Even has a subsonic filter at 20 hz. Probably dont want the Anarchy playing that low anyway.
I agree. My brother uses one to run his IB 15s and they sure do fill the room with plenty of bass.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by steste1122 View Post
Even has a subsonic filter at 20 hz. Probably dont want the Anarchy playing that low anyway.
Agreed, they'll start making ugly sounds if you go too low. I slid a miniDSP between the AVR and amps, which made adding a steep low cutoff simple.

There is no Honor in Mediocrity
Old 05-18-2016, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick question on this build.

I did not flush mount my driver. I surface mounted it on the inside of the fold. Will this have a large effect on performance?

I just finished my build, I hope I don't need to break it open.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM

Liked: 1
Has anyone tried this box with the Tang Band W6-1139SIF? (Ferrite version)

It has a lower xmax than the Tang Band W6-1139SI (11.5mm vs 13mm) but it's the only one I can get my hands on in the UK...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement