*****The 42's: Maelstrom 21" sub box (NEO Dan design).....dual box build***** - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 111 Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great work ! Dual Maelstrom 21's! Massive sealed monsters, you should have plenty of fun testing.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What happened with this build? Listening impressions? I'm thinking of doing something very similar to this build, and would love to hear some listening impressions...

I think we're the demons.
post #93 of 111 Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Big sealed sub + Bigger amp + BASSIS + PARTY = What's that smell?

I was thinking these were going to be some sort of HT/SQ subs, now I wonder if they survived the "party".

Regards,
Dan
post #94 of 111 Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post

Getting closer......lots of help today from my buddy. One almost complete......try to get the other one semi complete tomorrow.

Then Sun. attaching woofer, wire, solder, etc........

Marchand Bassis

Lots to do today.........flush trim router work, mounting woofers, wiring, soldering etc.....

Everything should be completed today. Everything except the final finish. Gonna get them broken in and "field tested" this coming week with 4 nights of house parties starting Wed. night.

I would love to see the bassis with the cover off.
I was bummed to hit their site and find they no longer offer kits anymore, it was a great kit. I converted mine to balanced output with a "that" chip. It works great, but I would like to see how they did it.

One issue I ran across with the bassis I came across recently => Socked chips! Wish I built it with the chips soldered directly to the board! I bent the pins and re-installed the chips, and all is well, but for a relatively simple circuit like the bassis, I should have just soldered the buggers in directly.

Was the balanced option a special order?

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #95 of 111 Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
If you don't mind my asking, how much were the 1" sheets of Baltic birch. I was pricing 4'x8' sheets of the 3/4" stuff here in Dallas and it was $125 a sheet
post #96 of 111 Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The Bassis is definitely still available in Quality Kit form, there are 2 full kit versions available besides Mono & Sterio versions as I only built A custom Sterio 46db Balanced bassis kit a couple of months back (WM-8-46-KK)...

Full WM-8- EZK: kit is where all the boards are pre assembled by Marchand and you just install them into the chassis & wire it up (Approx 80% of full assembled list price)
Or the full WM8- KK: kit that requires full assembly (approx60% of full assembled list price)..

You can get the Bassis in to flavors
unbalanced 24dB or 46dB or Balanced version 24/46dB

http://www.marchandelec.com/kits.html

digital Desire I have pics of my Bassis Balanced ver inards ?,
Cheers..
post #97 of 111 Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

If you don't mind my asking, how much were the 1" sheets of Baltic birch. I was pricing 4'x8' sheets of the 3/4" stuff here in Dallas and it was $125 a sheet

Your best bet would be to contact a local cabinet builder and ask them where they buy there stock from. I asked my cabinet builder and he directed me to a supply house that sells 3/4" 13 ply Baltic Birch in a 4'x8' sheet for $58.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #98 of 111 Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

The Bassis is definitely still available in Quality Kit form, there are 2 full kit versions available besides Mono & Sterio versions as I only built A custom Sterio 46db Balanced bassis kit a couple of months back (WM-8-46-KK)...

Full WM-8- EZK: kit is where all the boards are pre assembled by Marchand and you just install them into the chassis & wire it up (Approx 80% of full assembled list price)
Or the full WM8- KK: kit that requires full assembly (approx60% of full assembled list price)..

You can get the Bassis in to flavors
unbalanced 24dB or 46dB or Balanced version 24/46dB

digital Desire I have pics of my Bassis Balanced ver inards ?,
Cheers..

Hmm. I was basing that on this from them:
But did not see prices in the price list.
Where it states that they are moving away from kits. Awesome kits btw.

I would love to see their balanced solution, if you have a pic on hand either on this thread, or PM. Thanks.

post #99 of 111 Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem digital desire,

The Kits are of very high quality IMO inc Circuit Boards & components inc Highend attenuators..

If required im sure The Balanced line driver receiver board "LDR29" would be available as A seperate kit, I have the assembly manual for the LDR29?
its not shown on the website..

Heres A couple pics of my bassis LT.

Hope this helps mate
Cheers..
LL
LL
post #100 of 111 Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
so how much of a SQ difference between this and a digital EQ?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #101 of 111 Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mad, they are the highest quality you can get I think. I love mine.

That in/out board is quite impressive, compared to my (single channel out) solution pictured above. I must say, the "that" chip is completely noise free, and as far my ears are concerned, pretty spiffy. But certainly an amateurs solution!

Interesting, the bassis boards are missing the mute relay, I assume that function is taken over by the LDR29 board? Did you build yours Mad?

Penn, I always like a analog solution if I can. Going back and forth digital to analog multiple times is never a good thing, but I may talking out my butt! Their certainly is no noise artifacts or distortions in the bassis though. High quality op amps are used, and Marchand would never sell anything that was not top notch.

post #102 of 111 Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep I puchased the KK kit from Phil that requires total assembly of boards inc the High end attenuators and so on..

I consider myself pretty lucky as Phil told me that my 46db/Balanced ver Bassis was A total revision & was the first to use the highend Attenuators as shown in the pic..

The Balanced ver of the bassis has the relays, diodes Etc removed on the WM-8 LT boards due to the relays on the LDR29, also some resistor values on my WM-8 LT boards are different than the Stock WM-8 unbalanced ver boards..

My original design goal was to model & build Sealed alignment's paired with an LT & Flat response in the Single digits..Thats Just not possible with my DCX in LT config. The Bassis certainly delivered the goods well above my expectations after switching over from the DCX..

The + of superior SQ, no AD-DA conversion & as Bosso points out you can config the Bassis on the fly.. IE For music playback 0.5 Critically damped and for Movies playback 0.707 Maximally Flat is A big deal IMO...

Thanks in part to the Bassis My design goals where achieved above what I thought possible..

Cheers..
post #103 of 111 Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=28
post #104 of 111 Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

First off...let me apologize for abandoning the thread.

Here's my short story:

Between the bassis being delayed and a few other things taking longer than expected, I was running out of time until we needed to leave with the subs and all the equip.

Get everything packed up and leave for our meet. 6 hours later, we arrive and begin setting everything up to test. Here's my car audio buddy while he was still hooking everything up. All the electronics bassis, amp, reciever, etc...are on the table to the left. Don't know if I got any pics of that.

Check and double check and then fire everything up. One sub had/has what I think is an air leak and the second sub, my audio dude thinks is a voice coil problem.

Not to be dramatic...but, there was so much build up on my part (I was very excited) that it was just a huge disappointment. It was all I could do to keep from chopping them up and building a bond fire.

Brought them home, unloaded them in my "man room" and haven't touched them since May.

I've told myself I'm gonna start taking things apart and diagnosing either this weekend or next.

All was not lost that weekend, while waiting on everything (parts) to arrive prior to leaving for our trip, we'd build a pair of Zilch's EconoWave's that performed flawlessly for four days straight. I've really enjoyed these speakers.

I imagine over the next couple of weeks I'll be asking lots of questions trying to figure out what is going on.
post #105 of 111 Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post
beautiful. simply beautiful. thats the first time Ive seen those subs and liked the look of them, them enclosures are perfect. Well done!
post #106 of 111 Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hope you them up and running as they look great and eventually will sound great.

It is so cool to see the frequency response on my computer of my sealed subs. They rolled off around 36hz. I then setup the BASSIS and you could just watch the response extend as you crank up the boost. This all took a total of about ten minutes to set up, you will be very pleased with your hard work in the end.

It took me a while to get use to real bass and how different it sounds and feels than your typical powered subwoofer.

Keep us posted and keep the faith !!!
post #107 of 111 Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ive spent a lot of time, energy, and effort on my van. Things werent at all like I expected. I have been tweaking and modding and fixing for months and it is just about there. Youve got the main part done, dont let it go to waste!
post #108 of 111 Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a link to some test signals?
post #109 of 111 Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
REW is a great tool for measurement

Regards,
Dan
post #110 of 111 Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter