Software based Active Crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought some of my first drivers for some experimentation and DIY projects. Having studied a number of crossover designs, kits, pre-built products, and active crossovers they tend to be static, complicated, or expensive.

In addition, as I understand it crossover design should take into account the frequency response after the enclosure design and not the drivers on their own.

Ideally, I'd like something that lets me adjust the crossover frequencies and tune the system without having to replace, buy, and re-solder components.

MiniDSP seems neat and relatively inexpensive. http://www.minidsp.com/index.php

There are also some ~$100 active 2/3 way crossovers I'm looking at, but functionality seems to be limited to just that. It would also start to get expensive for a complete HT solution.

I can't help but keep returning to my desktop PC, which is the center of all my multimedia from blu-ray to radio. In fact, I don't own a single disk player of any sort, my PC controls nearly all media in the house. A software based crossover would give me unparalleled control over modeling and designing crossovers with no limitations.

Looks like the solution is presented as the kX project
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

I was just wondering if anybody here has used it for crossover implementation?

Are there any other hardware/software solutions I have not considered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Having studied a number of crossover designs, kits, pre-built products, and active crossovers they tend to be static, complicated, or expensive.

You mean passive XOs right?

active XOs are not static.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

THis thread has some PC based discussion.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243091

This thread on diyaudio does too

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2188394

Diyaudio has also a couple other PC XO threads.

I did research on this myself a couple of years ago.

The only possible advantage of using a PC over something like the DCX2496 is something about linearization but I think its as subjective as talking about different cables. There is a question of audibility (based on the person and the content).

The cons are....
- More latency unless you spend huge $$$.
- Sound cards are expensive.
- The ability to run other sources through the PC becomes a hassle (PS3, XBOX360, etc).
- No Dolby processing (PLIIx, PLIIz) but that could be just not understanding how it would work since there isnt any HDMI inputs for PCM or bitstream.
- Im aware we could do analog in and analog out so the above 2 points are kind of moot in that respect.

Conclusion....
A $400 DCX will allow you to have 3 2-way speaker designs or 2 3-way speaker designs with all the functionally you could imagine. You can not even get close to that price with a good PC solution.

Why waste time with the extra complexities and possible nightmares of using a PC??

If you believe in the subjective opinion saying the DCX isnt audiophile quality then spend around $1100 on a BSS omnidrive solution (if you can source one).

post #4 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links! That helps a lot. Guess I'm not using the right search terms...

I'm not convinced it would be so expensive. the kX drivers are free and all I need is a compatible sound card. I don't have one right now or I would be playing with it...
Many of the compatible sound cards are dirt cheap. Most are 5.1, but that's good enough for me too.

An example of a compatible card is the SB0240 Audigy 2 Platinum 6.1

It can be found used for about $20.00

That would give me 6 channels out for two 3 way crossovers. I believe the actual signal processing is done on the sound card hardware, so it should not be processor intensive or create any considerable lag. It's worth testing anyway.

The trick would be using an array of sound cards with the kX driver. I'm fairly certain this is possible, but have not found the documentation yet. I did run into documentation for an array of sound cards for input...
post #5 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its the sound card and PC that adds up to $$$.

I doubt a $20 sound card is going to work very well at all. I have Maudio Delta 410 and M-audio 7.1 cards. I have 2 custom built HTPC. One does Music simultaneously to 4 different zones. I know all about the PC side of HTPC. I have tried the dirt cheap appoarch. You really do get what you pay for most times and its pointless to do great DSP stuff with you are trying to get buy with the lowest cost components. Its all your choice though, I hope it works out but I have yet to read a thread of a successful dirty cheap PC XO solution.

My "All phase" thread is sort of a similar discussion Linear phase stuff. There is definitely interest in the PC based DSPs because of how they improve the phase .

Have been to http://www.thuneau.com/ many times.

and I really like those miniDSPs, Im waiting for some other members to give me feedback on them.

post #6 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi, I read penngray's thread about phase correction too and I downloaded the sound samples to see if I can hear a difference.

Maybe a small PC dedicated to the XO could work.
I tried a LADSPA crossover (IIR filters I think) "Frankenstein" setup with onboard sound. It was Linux based using Pulseaudio and actually easy to set up.
My tests seemed OK, after all the software wasn't optimized for it. It was 95% stable but on the same machine I had a complete desktop running too. It was a 3-way speaker with sub and subsonic filter and parametric EQs and delays. The steeper the crossover, the heavier the CPU load was. I used 24dB/oct filters. It was not stable when I increased the data format from 41kHz/16bit to 96kHz/24bit for example.

Brutefir for Linux would be another free solution (but is harder to get working, since there isn't much documentation available) which has heavily optimized FIR filters. They don't mess with the phase as far as I understand it but they introduce a minimum delay, as any phase correction would too I believe (phase=delay?). IIR are as fast as your CPU allows.

Both Linux (Pulseaudio) and Windows provide a new software audio stack. I believe that this could help since you just need a plugin to insert there and any sound will be played through it. There is no need to have some special player running. Also this means that all functions are available regardless of the sound chip.
I used to have an X-Fi ExtremeMusic but I haven't bothered to put it in again since my install of Windows7. My onboard Realtek 888 provides 8-channels and I can switch each one of the jacks to either input or output.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 PM

The main problem with the cheap soundcards is the quality of the DACs.

If you move to a soundcard with a decent DAC, you lose the kxproject support.

Then you have to buy software to make it work.

Then YOU have to make it work (software config etc.)

I'm currently using a PC based active XO via VST plugins, Plogue Bidule as host, and RME fireface400 soundcard. While it works, and sounds good, it is not without troubles. I've had to write scripts to get everything to work ok with the PC going to sleep, sound card turning on and off etc. Even then I need to reboot sometimes. Another big problem is correlating measurements to the filters needed - unless you pay big bucks for software like Acourate or Audiolense. You also need a soundcard with flexible routing, and a decent bit-resolution for volume control.

Software stability is also an issue - DPC latency problems effect many PCs. This will especially be a problem if you want a TV/DVD etc's audio routed through the PC with no latency issues.

The software audio stack in Windows7 does not allow for custom plugins to be loaded.

I want to move to a hardware DSP platform - I've had enough of the PC version. I'm waiting for the Hypex DSP module to be released (should be this year), then I will choose between the miniDSP solution and the Hypex solution.

Points of interest between the 2:
Hypex is 2 channel in 6 out, miniDSP 2 in 4 out.
Hypex already has filter design software with import measurement function for their DSP, miniDSP does not.
MiniDSP has miniAMP board available.
Standard DACs in miniDSP aren't great.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

fb, I have been following the Hypex DSP thread too. I can not wait for it to be released.

With the Euro down to $1.25 US, Im getting interested in the Hypex amps again.

post #9 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have been working with VST for EQ and the Winamp VST bridge plugin. Unfortunately, Winamp has it's playback limitations and no support for DVD menus for example. Without access to any other players that support VST I started to look elsewhere.

My background is software engineering so I'm not intimidated by the possibility of writing my own software. In fact, I'm looking forward to it given the opportunity.

Bidule looks interesting, looking into it now.

As far as sound cards go, lets set some parameters. Many of the older sound cards were once expensive quality hardware, but there is no demand for used computer equipment to inflate prices. This works in our favor.

What are we looking for in a DAC to pass as "good enough"?

Which cards qualify?

The DAC in the Sound Blaster SB0240 is 24-bit and 106dB SNR. Not good?
post #10 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Don't if you've seen this thread by ShinOBIWAN, who really knows his stuff.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...how-pc-xo.html

John
post #11 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findbuddha View Post

Then YOU have to make it work (software config etc.)

Software stability is also an issue - DPC latency problems effect many PCs.

The software audio stack in Windows7 does not allow for custom plugins to be loaded.

I want to move to a hardware DSP platform

I agree, it's not for everyday use.

About the Windows thing, in speaker properties there is an enhancements tab. My Realtek driver added HRTF filters and whatnot to the list there. There is a loudness effect included with Windows too for example.
I thought it would be possible for some third party developer to create other filters for this. "So it would be a system wide Winamp effect". It's possible that they restrict that to certified driver developers, I don't know and it would be sad.

Groundsound has some variable XO modules too btw.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by infurno View Post

I have been working with VST for EQ and the Winamp VST bridge plugin. Unfortunately, Winamp has it's playback limitations and no support for DVD menus for example. Without access to any other players that support VST I started to look elsewhere.

I use an Asus Essence ST soundcard with the H6 daughtercard for 7.1 channels. My media player is J. River Media Center 15 with the following VST Plugins: VoxengoBMS, Sound Delay (by Voxengo), and GlissEQ (by Voxengo). All these plugins are 8 channel. To use them, I have my output in MC15 set to 7.1 with unused channels silent. For two channel music, this sends the original two channels and opens up the other channels so I can use channel 4 for bass management. I am using ASIO output with bit-matched drivers, but could also use WASAPI or Kernel Streaming. Only ASIO provides automatic bit matching.

The plugins can be ordered and they now work for all sources: music and video. They used to just work for audio sources. They also made changes to the output modes so that one can output in 5.1 or 7.1 with unused channels silent. MC15 supports up to 32 channels. I read on the Audiolense forum that someone is using 16 channels for digital crossovers using Audiolense, Convolver plugin, and MC15.

VoxengoBMS
This plugin is very flexible and allows the bass to be moved, mixed or monitored. Moving removes bass from one channel and combines it with the LFE channel. It is like a Small speaker setting. Mixing keeps the original channel fullrange and copies the bass to the LFE channel. It is like a Large speaker setting with duplicated bass. Monitoring allows you to listen in the original channel to just the bass that is being moved. This is useful for comparing the bass in the mains to the subwoofer to hear audible differences and to listen how each reproduces it. The original LFE and the redirected bass can have their gain changed separately even though both end up in the same channel.
The crossover can be set from 40-150 Hz with a 1 to 48 db/octave rolloff. The rolloff on the high pass is set at 12 db/octave. The crossover has a linear phase design so the frequency response and the phase remain flat.

Sound Delay
This plugin allows for delay to be set for each channel in msec, meter, or foot. It has a granularity of .01. You can also set the gain separately for each channel. Using the group delay function in V5 of Room EQ Wizard, you should be able to dial in the exact acoustic distance setting for all speakers.

GlissEQ
Although this has many dynamic filters for mastering, the Peaking Plain and Hi/Lo Pass filters are not dynamic. The Peaking Plain is what is used to reduce peaks in the bass response. It can go down to 1 Hz, has a bandwidth of .01 to 7, and a gain of +/1 15 dB.

With these plugins you can do the following:

* Route all bass below the crossover to the LFE channel
* Use some speakers as Large and some as Small
* Route all bass below the crossover to the LFE channel and put Hi-Pass filters on other channels at a different frequency so you can cascade bass in those channels over the LFE channel (similar to Geddes method)
* With a 5.1 system you can use the extra channels of a 7.1 soundcard for more subwoofers. You could then use Hi or Lo-Pass filters for each subwoofer. You could also EQ all subs together.
* Perform parametric EQ on individual channels or you can group channels together for EQ.
* Accurately set your distance (delay) and gain for all channels
* You can A/B between various settings and listen to the bass either in its original channel or in the subwoofer channel. This is helpful for determining slope and crossover frequency.

I have setup filters in GlissEQ for fun, but haven't made any measurements yet with REW because I keep thinking I'm going to upgrade my subwoofers. One of these days I'll get around to measuring.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

fb, I have been following the Hypex DSP thread too. I can not wait for it to be released.

With the Euro down to $1.25 US, Im getting interested in the Hypex amps again.

Seems like they're finally actually making progress on the DSP now

Their amps are very low noise, by their datasheets. Still too expensive for me unfortunately. Perhaps we could find a source for their OEM modules? I've seen the UCD2kOEM for sale on a webshop somewhere.

Quote:

As far as sound cards go, lets set some parameters. Many of the older sound cards were once expensive quality hardware, but there is no demand for used computer equipment to inflate prices. This works in our favor.

What are we looking for in a DAC to pass as "good enough"?

Which cards qualify?

The DAC in the Sound Blaster SB0240 is 24-bit and 106dB SNR. Not good?

That sound blaster card may well have good enough SNR - depends on the rest of your signal chain I suppose. My RME is 110db unweighted - but then I've got it routed through the dodgy ADC of my Panasonic receiver.

What are your amps?

How are you going to do volume control?

Are you able to ensure that every time you turn the system on you (and your family if you have one) will turn it on/off in the correct sequence, to avoid frying your tweeters when your soundcard pops on it's outputs?

How are you going to do measurements?

The miniDSP is pretty good value for $100, if the base board fits your needs.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are there any other hardware/software solutions I have not considered?

If you have a NVidia GPU and a few spare CUDA cores there's a nice CUDA based FIR xover out there:

http://koonlab.com/CUDA_RealFIR/CUDA%20Real%20FIR.html

Then there's also a VST plugin running on CUDA:

http://www.nilsschneider.de/cms/inde...id=29&Itemid=1

However it seems to be limited to convolution only at the moment, no idea if one can load other VST plugins into it.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #15 of 22 Old 05-17-2010, 06:06 AM

Actually another thing that could work really well is using a motherboard, graphics card or sound card that does 8 channel LPCM over HDMI. Hook this straight into your HT receiver of choice - particularly one of the all digital models like the Panasonics. Avoid all AD/DA, no problems with popping on/off, volume control nicely integrated, plenty of cheap amplifier channels.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Seems like they're finally actually making progress on the DSP now

Their amps are very low noise, by their datasheets. Still too expensive for me unfortunately. Perhaps we could find a source for their OEM modules? I've seen the UCD2kOEM for sale on a webshop somewhere.

Yeah, that is awesome. I hope it does happen this year.

The 2 ch amp isnt that bad considering it comes with a DSP (great XO software too) and its < EUR $300. Its hard to match that price even with a 2 ch amp alone.

post #17 of 22 Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarD View Post

Don't if you've seen this thread by ShinOBIWAN, who really knows his stuff.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...how-pc-xo.html

John

Yeah, I posted above there are some good threads on Diyaudio. Shino's thread is a great one but again he spend a fortune on his PC XO build. Shino does not post anywhere any more too. I wonder what happened to him.

post #18 of 22 Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Last few posts have really given me a lot to think about and research.

Quote:

Actually another thing that could work really well is using a motherboard, graphics card or sound card that does 8 channel LPCM over HDMI. Hook this straight into your HT receiver of choice - particularly one of the all digital models like the Panasonics. Avoid all AD/DA, no problems with popping on/off, volume control nicely integrated, plenty of cheap amplifier channels.

That sounds like a good idea. I may order an HDMI sound card and see what I can do with my Denon AVR-1610.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

I use an Asus Essence ST soundcard with the H6 daughtercard for 7.1 channels. My media player is J. River Media Center 15 with the following VST Plugins: VoxengoBMS, Sound Delay (by Voxengo), and GlissEQ (by Voxengo). ...

Thanks for bringing J. River Media Center 15 to my attention. I have been really happy with it so far, especially with the VST support. I'm experimenting with both GlissEQ and Redline EQ.

http://www.112db.com/redline/equalizer/
post #19 of 22 Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Thanks for bringing J. River Media Center 15 to my attention. I have been really happy with it so far, especially with the VST support. I'm experimenting with both GlissEQ and Redline EQ.

I'm glad you are liking MC15. In Tools > Options > Video, you have to set Playback Device to "Same device used in audio playback" in order for the VST plugins to be used with video sources. That might be the default, but I can't remember.

Regarding EQ, I needed something that supported 8 channels which GlissEQ does (it looks like Redline EQ is 2 channel). If I put a 2 channel VST plugin in the chain, I lose my other channels and can only use the plugin on the L & R channel. I want to do EQ on the LFE channel.

In GlissEQ, you can edit the spectrum's frequency range with the Edit button in the bottom right. By lowering the spectrum down from 20 Hz, you can then use filters that go lower, too. I use a spectrum of 1 to 2000 Hz (the lowest possible) for my LFE channel.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I have what may be a crazy idea. The major problem with two sound cards appears to be sync. The solution on professional cards is a special cable or spdif to connect the two. Professional cards are also expensive.

I ran into this site: http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/el-cheapo/

What I'm thinking about doing is buying two identical x-fi titanium sound cards and turn one into a slave by bridging the quartz crystal.

I think I see it on the x-fi titanium.

The worst thing that could happen is it won't work and I'll have an extra x-fi card. I'm no electrical engineer. If anybody has any experience with this modification or knows it won't work please let me know.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Asio4All on windows allows creating aggregate sound cards, you may want to try this before trying hardware mods.
post #22 of 22 Old 10-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
Hi all.

I thought I would post on this thread as Im looking to do use a similar setup to desertdomes using J river 16 and the now improved inbuilt functions for eq and crossovers.

Im just about to apply eq to the sub (calculated via REW) in my 5.1 system running through JRMC.

At the moment, it seams easyest to do this in text format- a laborious process, but its not a big ask really.

First up, some background.

Off the top of my head, there are several reasons I feel JRMC is the answer for me.

1) As a music player, in my experience its now the ultimate- 64bit floating point dsp for all processing, automatic 2.1 sub crossover settings for 2 channel audio that is applicable for 2 channel only- so you can have different settings for video.

2) Its also the ultimate for hd video- upscaling of the highest standards possible at present, Highly configurable in terms of picture settings (calibrate screen etc) and audio (delay/advance lip sync)

3) constantly in a state of evolution for improvement.

4) all hd audio formats are output over analogue out or hdmi.

5) Its capable of all the room eq stuff I used to do in my receiver- speaker distance, level, eq, crossover freq to sub- everything, and again- this is out of the box. No VST plugin download/hacking stuff needed.

6) Very supportive and helpful developers

7) VST plugin support, so external developers can add features they wish to JRMC!

8) you can play bluray straight off the disc (once anydvd is downloaded). You can also play almost any video file.

9) It will reclock the audio or video to match your displays refresh rate + all without effecting the pitch or dropping the audio- no more jittery framerate because your display is 24 or 25 fps instead of 23.976!

10) the most important one- ITS EASY TO USE! The new red october settings work right out of the box with most of the feature the masses will want.

For me, this also means that I can build digital active crossovers in the digital domain before it ever gets converted to analogue, and keeping the HD audio intact. Also, at last I can have one player/source for music and video without compromising something.

My speaker build thread-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1346577

Questions on setting room eq-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21030013

More info (post 207 onwards)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1352282&page=7

In short, Ive sold my dacmagic, bluray player, squeezebox and av receiver.

Exciting times.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs