What books to buy for first time DIY speaker building? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
subadrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rolla, Missouri
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What books would you recommend for a person getting ready to start DIY speaker building? Everything from full-range to sub-woofers, and help picking the correct crossovers and amplifiers. I don't necessarily need to know how to build xovers, just basic info on them. I am not interested in the electronics side, but more on the proper building procedures and selections of speakers and sub-woofers.

I bought this, then when I received it I realized I had bought a 14 year old book.
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Buil...4050966&sr=8-1

Thanks
subadrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Grandarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can start with a kit. For example, this: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8307 (Zaph, designer, has a good rep!) Parts Express also has a decent selection.

So basically, you'll have to make the cabinets, which is a big part of the game. Gets you started pretty quickly and isn't too hard, basically have nothing to mess up. That's what I'd do for first build.

Or, you could do a subwoofer, buy driver, amp, again, the cabinet is again the main thing, not much to screw up Either way, I wouldn't try to design the thing myself, just go with a tried and tested design, have fun!


Oh but you asked for books...... :\\ Well, you get get A LOT of info online. The book shouldn't be too bad, should give you the basics on crossovers, don't think they've changed that much, maybe some new types, for such as MTM, but 1st/2nd order, Ryley, etc. I think have been there for a while.
Grandarf is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
tlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think a good basic audio book before you even get into the DIY aspect is Toole's "Sound Reproduction" book, as it gets into a lot of practical basics and debunks some widely held beliefs. All very empirically based, and not too much dry math and/or theory for its own sake. Because if you don't know what it is you really want, how are you going to know when you see it? And what will you build? I think many will be surprised to find information they didn't know to look for. I know I was... Not saying it necessarily has all the right answers for everyone, but it's a great start.
tlag is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lilmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is a good choice to start with - it covers the "whys" pretty well.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=82245165

There are certainly other choices, but as I look at my bookshelf, I have the Toole book mentioned earlier (Which is excellent), an old Colloms book, and three (yeah, three) editions of the LDC (no - they are not that different....).

Oh - by the way - I got started with that same Weems book, just a few editions older.....mine was the 2nd edition, and I read and reread it until it fell apart. It is a good place to start, and the fundamentals will be there for you to learn and build from. The forums are a great place to learn too, but you've got to have a grasp on the fundamentals.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lilmike is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
tlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is a good choice to start with - it covers the "whys" pretty well.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=82245165

There are certainly other choices, but as I look at my bookshelf, I have the Toole book mentioned earlier (Which is excellent), an old Colloms book, and three (yeah, three) editions of the LDC (no - they are not that different....).

Oh - by the way - I got started with that same Weems book, just a few editions older.....mine was the 2nd edition, and I read and reread it until it fell apart. It is a good place to start, and the fundamentals will be there for you to learn and build from. The forums are a great place to learn too, but you've got to have a grasp on the fundamentals.

I actually like Dickason's LDC, but it doesn't get into room interaction and psychoacoustics much. And that stuff really matters. Before getting into the "how," having some idea of the "what" and "why" helps...
tlag is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 6,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Another endorsement of Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Make sure you get the 7th Edition.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Gary McCoy is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 9,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Another endorsement of Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Make sure you get the 7th Edition.
What's the gotta have additions in the 7th edition?
Stereodude is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subadrew View Post

What books would you recommend for a person getting ready to start DIY speaker building? Everything from full-range to sub-woofers, and help picking the correct crossovers and amplifiers. I don't necessarily need to know how to build xovers, just basic info on them. I am not interested in the electronics side, but more on the proper building procedures and selections of speakers and sub-woofers.


I bought this, then when I received it I realized I had bought a 14 year old book.
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Buil...4050966&sr=8-1



Thanks

+1 on both

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms. This is Floyd Toole's summary of what we know about those subjects, drawing on decades of AES papers. It'll give you hints about what design targets should be (many speaker designers both commercial and otherwise ignore this out of market considerations or ignorance)

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092

and

The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. It gives some ideas on how to realize those design goals

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580478
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off