I *finally* finished my Tritrix corner surround speaker build. I picked up the kit way back when they started selling it as the "Recession Destroyer" (I've now built the Recession Buster and Recession Destroyer kits... don't say I'm not doing my part to help the economy
Until now I've been using AV123 X-LS as surrounds but because of my room I had them shelf mounted and above head - FAR from optimal. Because of the poor placement option for surrounds I decided to build these in triangular enclosures. This cuts down on the amount of real estate taken up by the speakers and allows me to mount them further away from the listeners and lower - much closer to ear level.
The cabinets were built with scraps left over from previous builds. I had some birch ply left from my main speaker build so I decided to use that for the top/bottom and try to make something that looks nice for a change. I painted the baffles black (Rustoleom textured black) and stained the top/bottom Pecan using Minwax Polycrylic I had left from a different project. They turned out pretty good. The only problem is I put a couple layers of Minwax Polycrylic over the whole thing to protect the paint on the baffles and it did not settle very well at all, if you look at them closely you can see major brushstrokes in the finish. It's not something that stands out though unless you're inspecting them.
I emailed CurtC when I was planning this build to see what I should do with the XO to remove most of the BSC since they will be built right into the corner. He recommended removing the resistor from the tweeter network and replacing the 2.5mH inductor on the woofer network with a 1.3mH inductor. I didn't really want to buy another part and decided to attempt to unwind the 2.5mH inductor to a 1.3mH inductor. I used my drill and a pencil and made quick work out of unwinding the inductor
Since they're surrounds I don't have too much to say about the sound. When I first set them up I turned off the amps for the mains, set the AVR to All Channel Stereo and did some listening - they sounded great and really fill my room nicely for their size (with a sub - crossed at 90hz). I ran Audyssey on them and it came up with a 40hz XO so I at least didn't unwind too much inductor (I overrode this with the 90hz XO of course).
Now comes the empty feeling... Time to find a new project to start. Maybe something for the office
Closeup of finish (I tried my best to hide the bad stuff but you can still see it a bit