Tritrix corner surrounds finally finished - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I *finally* finished my Tritrix corner surround speaker build. I picked up the kit way back when they started selling it as the "Recession Destroyer" (I've now built the Recession Buster and Recession Destroyer kits... don't say I'm not doing my part to help the economy )

Until now I've been using AV123 X-LS as surrounds but because of my room I had them shelf mounted and above head - FAR from optimal. Because of the poor placement option for surrounds I decided to build these in triangular enclosures. This cuts down on the amount of real estate taken up by the speakers and allows me to mount them further away from the listeners and lower - much closer to ear level.

The cabinets were built with scraps left over from previous builds. I had some birch ply left from my main speaker build so I decided to use that for the top/bottom and try to make something that looks nice for a change. I painted the baffles black (Rustoleom textured black) and stained the top/bottom Pecan using Minwax Polycrylic I had left from a different project. They turned out pretty good. The only problem is I put a couple layers of Minwax Polycrylic over the whole thing to protect the paint on the baffles and it did not settle very well at all, if you look at them closely you can see major brushstrokes in the finish. It's not something that stands out though unless you're inspecting them.

I emailed CurtC when I was planning this build to see what I should do with the XO to remove most of the BSC since they will be built right into the corner. He recommended removing the resistor from the tweeter network and replacing the 2.5mH inductor on the woofer network with a 1.3mH inductor. I didn't really want to buy another part and decided to attempt to unwind the 2.5mH inductor to a 1.3mH inductor. I used my drill and a pencil and made quick work out of unwinding the inductor

Since they're surrounds I don't have too much to say about the sound. When I first set them up I turned off the amps for the mains, set the AVR to All Channel Stereo and did some listening - they sounded great and really fill my room nicely for their size (with a sub - crossed at 90hz). I ran Audyssey on them and it came up with a 40hz XO so I at least didn't unwind too much inductor (I overrode this with the 90hz XO of course).

Now comes the empty feeling... Time to find a new project to start. Maybe something for the office

Before:

After:

Closeup of finish (I tried my best to hide the bad stuff but you can still see it a bit ):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Troll

Liked: 44
i might be mistaken, but i thought surrounds should be mounted above ear level.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They look to be a bit above ear level. Not much, but enough.

They look great, lennon! Nice work.

"Measure twice, then measure again. Only then should you even THINK about cutting."

post #4 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm certainly not the expert on that stuff but Ezcl's right they're now about 1.5' above ear level. My old surrounds were about 3' above ear level plus on a shelf extended into the room... This put the right/left seating positions about 80' off axis from the surround on their side, plus the shelf jutted out a bit between ear and speaker... not good at all!

I re-listened to my SACD's of Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral and Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon today and the surround imaging was much much better. Especially in Dark Side of the Moon where there's lots of effects panning from back-front, side-side, etc.

-
post #5 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Looks good. I love my TT, great sounding for pretty cheap.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I much prefer my surrounds to be almost ear height.
Looks like a good build. Much better setup than the old speakers!

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #7 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
looks to me, and i can see pretty good, that the shown speaker is going to BLAST the person sitting in that left seat. idk how anyone would consider that "good"

i would take the av123's mount em on the wall about at the top of the tripod. and aim them at the center of the seating.

or. raise up the diy's at least 1' .

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #8 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM

3 feet above ear height is recomended by Dolby and such.
Nice build buy the way! How much was the kit to build a pair of these?
post #9 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Troll

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94hondaprelude View Post

Nice build buy the way! How much was the kit to build a pair of these?

hah so thats why i said above ear level before, knew i saw it somewhere.

saw war of the worlds today, i believe i know why now. i heard dripping noises in some scenes from the surrounds, and the height added some realism to it.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Really?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
nice work man. your surrounds appears to have many of the bases covered and they definitely look much better than the tripod/guitar stands that you had before. :-) can you flip the mounting hardware so that it disappears too?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM

I could not find it on Dolby's sight again but THX says 2 feet or higher.

"Surround Left & Right Speakers (SL & SR): Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The SL & SR speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you experience in the cinema."
In my opinion they should be a few feet to the left and right of the seating also. this isn't always possible and with recievers ability to compensate for placement not much of an issue really, the above ear level height is key.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I could not find it on Dolby's sight again but THX says 2 feet or higher.

The best I could find on Dolby site was 'just above'. Mouse over them on the link I provided.

Quote:

"Surround Left & Right Speakers (SL & SR): Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The SL & SR speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you experience in the cinema."

That may be the case for THX specified speakers, but will not be universal. What will the vertical polar response of lennon's surrounds look like 3' above LP, when measured at the LP?
Quote:

In my opinion they should be a few feet to the left and right of the seating also. this isn't always possible and with recievers ability to compensate for placement not much of an issue really, the above ear level height is key.

AVRs can compensate for distance, but I'm yet to see one that can for height for surrounds.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Its recommended by AVR manufacturers as well. IMO it's more important to have them higher up the closer they are to you. Again it comes down to personal preference and what works best for you. I know i have read this multiple times, and it may be that is more universal for to work well with multiple surround formats since each has their own slight variation.....
Being as close as the OP is to his surround speakers I fell like he could benefit from the 3 feet above suggestion. Again all speaker placements are a "suggestion" and will very from person to person and room to room.
From Denon 1910 manual....
Surround Left & Right Speakers (SL & SR): Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The SL & SR speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you experience in the cinema.

I was saying that since they can't compensate for height it is more important when placing them to get the height right
post #15 of 17 Old 06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i don't understand the debate.

mounting them lower. people and furniture get in the way of the sound & and don't let the sound disperse & are to close.(most of the time).

mounting them higher. they are farther away to let the sound disperse. and the sound goes over obstructions.

now. if your in a 1 chair room, with a low back chair. then low mounting would work.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #16 of 17 Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

nice work man. your surrounds appears to have many of the bases covered and they definitely look much better than the tripod/guitar stands that you had before. :-) can you flip the mounting hardware so that it disappears too?

Yeah that's been bugging me lately. That was kind of a quick - just get them up so I can listen to them - type of moment. I'm thinking of doing a french cleat on them so the mounting is transparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

i don't understand the debate.

mounting them lower. people and furniture get in the way of the sound & and don't let the sound disperse & are to close.(most of the time).

mounting them higher. they are farther away to let the sound disperse. and the sound goes over obstructions.

now. if your in a 1 chair room, with a low back chair. then low mounting would work.

The problem with mounting them higher is vertical off-axis response. Because of how my room is laid out the surrounds have to be right on top of the seats (just one of those compromises of using the living room as a HT). If I mount them higher the angle to the listeners is too extreme and they end up in a null around how XO. True I could mount them properly and point them but still because of the room I can realistically only point them properly for 1-2 of the seats. Mounting them lower allows me to better cover all of the seats without any of them being too off-axis. The seat most off-axis (and therefore the one with the largest dip in response) is the one closest to the speaker which helps so it isn't blasting in the ear too bad (or at least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it ).

-
post #17 of 17 Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM

The off axis response makes sense...... really it comes down to whatever works best for your room and you would know that best as well
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page