Warpdrv's Dual Opposed 18" LMS's..... "The XLerators" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My buddy helped me, I was running Xbox's with XBMC for so long and it was time after I got that RACK I figured what the hell.... I'm running Popcorn Hour units in both systems and I'm pretty darn happy with them, just waiting on that next update that will have every file streaming with HD audio from blurays, BluRay folders, MKV's and M2TS files... PCH has some issues from time to time but mostly they are awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 638
That's why I got the Dune Prime 3.0. It plays all those over the network. We like to rip to ISO (it's easiest to work with) and have those streamed straight to the Dune 3.0. These are straight ISO's so it's like having the disc right there in your room but it's not. Full HD audio support, BDLive, everything. The best part about the player is that it is actually really good too. Almost like a good OPPO but with even more features. So far everything we have thrown at it plays. It's awesome!

Now I am just trying to figure out how to get a whole video jukebox thing going. A slick graphical interface like Kaleidescape or something. We have been using Zappiti but there is a learning curve to it I haven't quite mastered. Might also try MyMovies next.

Here's a cool vid of what we are trying to get: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvwgJpoZsEs

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #93 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool.... I'm running yamj "Yet Another Media Jukebox" and its awesome.... Very nice GUI

Here is a link you can try it out and view my entire library, it'll be a bit slow as your outside the network, but you get the idea...

http://warpdrv.kicks-ass.org/yamj

The Background image is me driving my Yamaha FJR on the Moon !!!!

You can click the bottom right, area to page down... "page 1 of 26" click the 26 to go down and backspace to go back up
post #94 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 638
I've read about YAMJ but haven't seen any pics of it yet. That's cool, I like your background. Don't zip off into orbit now.

I'll have to take a better look at YAMJ. IIRC, it works with the Dune player as well. Was it a free program?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #95 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I've read about YAMJ but haven't seen any pics of it yet. That's cool, I like your background. Don't zip off into orbit now.

I'll have to take a better look at YAMJ. IIRC, it works with the Dune player as well. Was it a free program?

Yes, free --- bit of a learning curve - my buddy aaron takes care of all of that for me, traded his services for a SMS-1, he's a great guy and really helps me out with it and loves doing it.

You can click on all the cover art and get the info from there as well...

When he was running Yamj server - you could seriously go into the album art and click on any of the cast members that are in a movie, and it will link you to any movie on your server that they are in also, very well written database format...

Plain ol yamj is not as powerful as the server version... but server is much more complicated to get up and running.
post #96 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Ha.... I got 1 extra just in case 1 need some service or repair, but they are pretty bullet proof thus far. I will be ripping that Mic2200 out, no need for that anymore and maybe using the extra for rear TC-3000 instead of the EP2500.

Not sure how things will pan out just yet....

Oh BTW, don't assemble the driver until you got all your box measurements and driver mounting holes drilled. You don't want to be doing measurements with that freakin motor on there.....

I was having fun rolling that heavy wheel around. Easier then carrying it at times....

You do0n't need the MIC2200 for the high pass, but what about boost down low? I know your boxes are pretty big, but would the sub still not benefit from some boost?
post #97 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Cool.... I'm running yamj "Yet Another Media Jukebox" and its awesome.... Very nice GUI

Here is a link you can try it out and view my entire library, it'll be a bit slow as your outside the network, but you get the idea...

http://warpdrv.kicks-ass.org/yamj

The Background image is me driving my Yamaha FJR on the Moon !!!!

You can click the bottom right, area to page down... "page 1 of 26" click the 26 to go down and backspace to go back up

Nice collection.

I've been building a HTPC with XMBC looking at the Aeon frontend. Gorgeous. I think it may be something you can get on PCH or Dune players.

post #98 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

You do0n't need the MIC2200 for the high pass, but what about boost down low? I know your boxes are pretty big, but would the sub still not benefit from some boost?

Dcx ftw
post #99 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Dcx ftw

I saw that later, but you beat me.
post #100 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Wow, those turned out really nice. Don't fire them up too loud tonight; you might wake me up!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #101 of 507 Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
MMm... those boxes sure do look tasty... and this Aeon skin... I must learn more about it, that's even more eye candy than XBMC by itself... I have both PM3 and Confluence skins. ( different hardware )

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #102 of 507 Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Wow, those turned out really nice. Don't fire them up too loud tonight; you might wake me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

MMm... those boxes sure do look tasty... and this Aeon skin... I must learn more about it, that's even more eye candy than XBMC by itself... I have both PM3 and Confluence skins. ( different hardware )

They are working nicely !!!
Can't wait to get the 3rd one - then I can really stretch the legs and see what this system can do... Not having to be concerned about over excursion.
post #103 of 507 Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
my god that is incredible!!!
post #104 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
So what material have you played so far that has made you go HOLY S#%T! that's awesome. Love the new subs and the whole setup in general. One day I keep telling myself, one day.
post #105 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just going through my bass music and movies the usual suspect movies that are well known for heavy bass.

Bass I love you... MTX bass stuff, Basstronics,

Finding Nemo, - Darla
Kung Fu Panda
Master and Commander
Toy Story 2
Lord of the Rings

List goes on with with some of the favorites found in "The master list of DVD"

I'm trying to not to push things too far before I start taking measurements and get everything dialed in, but so far - pretty darn impressive...
post #106 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well plop in WOTW already would you!?

Can you take a pic of the terminal cup? Don't recall seeing it ...

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #107 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Well plop in WOTW already would you!?

Can you take a pic of the terminal cup? Don't recall seeing it ...

Yeah, I'll get there on the WOTW, in fact we were using that scene to get all the input and output clipping setup for the Anthem, Amps and DCX right.... I'm sure there is a better way, maybe someone can give their thoughts... I think Mike said to use test tones around 60hz or something like that, can't remember.

No terminal cup - Speakon connectors on the bottom of the Subs. NL4FRX & NL4MP-ST - 4 pole 30amp rated
There is a pic at the beginning of the thread

post #108 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Just going through my bass music and movies the usual suspect movies that are well known for heavy bass.

Bass I love you... MTX bass stuff, Basstronics,

Finding Nemo, - Darla
Kung Fu Panda
Master and Commander
Toy Story 2
Lord of the Rings

List goes on with with some of the favorites found in "The master list of DVD"

I'm trying to not to push things too far before I start taking measurements and get everything dialed in, but so far - pretty darn impressive...

I watched Cloverfeild for the first time last night and was quite impressed with LFE, my wimpy little Sub 15 did pretty well. Where are you noticing the biggest difference? Down low or midbass etc? I know your setup is still not complete and you can't give a final verdict yet but seeing those works of art makes me wonder what I'm missing.
post #109 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

I watched Cloverfeild for the first time last night and was quite impressed with LFE, my wimpy little Sub 15 did pretty well. Where are you noticing the biggest difference? Down low or midbass etc? I know your setup is still not complete and you can't give a final verdict yet but seeing those works of art makes me wonder what I'm missing.

1st thing I noticed was the bump in power of the down low stuff. The drivers are the same as before so SQ is pretty much unchanged from my perspective. Hadn't been able to feel that kind of output before, I had to dial those new subs down a couple db's to match the others obviously. I would have to push the single drivers too hard and remove the HP I had on them. I still need to be a bit careful so I don't push the still "single driver" closest to the mains too hard. When I get that last box, I can fell more at ease pushing things a bit harder, but everything needs to be EQ'd to see what is going on... right now I have no clue and am just speculating.
post #110 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You want to schedule a day of EQ'ing and tweaking? In other words, a day of fun!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #111 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

You want to schedule a day of EQ'ing and tweaking? In other words, a day of fun!

Yeah but it almost seems pointless to start and then redo the whole thing when I still have to get that last sub from John. I got a message in to him. Waiting on a reply.

You got a handle on the new REW yet ?
post #112 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

You will play Bass I Hate You on your system! Tell me where you are I will bring a 24lbs sledge and end the Ultra suffering.

If I ever hear that BS again I am going zulu on the first person I see playing this over used abused excuse for noise.

Thst is NOT music fake birds,some other fake sound and then FART FART look ma the cones move.

LOL

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #113 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok gimme a list of awesome bass songs to play my friend
post #114 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 606
Sting's A Brand New Day in 5.1 DTS, track #3 "Small World, Big Lie":

The whole disc has great tunes and bass/drums.

Also, Steely Dan's Gaucho on SACD is my reference subs-with-music SQ disc. I've not heard better recorded drums/jazz bass by anyone. Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go on DVD-A are also reference discs, IMO.

I also enjoy the heck outta Celebrating The Music Of Weather Report on SACD. Some of the best bass players in the world on that disc; Victor Bailey, John Patitucci, Marcus Miller, Will Lee and Mike Pope.

Bosso
post #115 of 507 Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talking Heads, Speaking in Tongues, dualdisc, with DVD-A or DD 5.1. Burning Down the House is my best test of drum kicking your butt, and I have listened to it so much that I can tell when things aren't set correctly, and adjust with this track. Many great songs on the album, and many are a good test of your system.

BTW, we just watched the Percy Jackson movie, and it is chock full of bass, perhaps one of the most bass-filled movies I have heard in a long while.
post #116 of 507 Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'll get there on the WOTW, in fact we were using that scene to get all the input and output clipping setup for the Anthem, Amps and DCX right.... I'm sure there is a better way, maybe someone can give their thoughts... I think Mike said to use test tones around 60hz or something like that, can't remember.

What do you mean by getting the "input and output clipping setup"?

I.e., what exactly does that entail?

Didn't do anything myself as of yet to check for clipping.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #117 of 507 Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

What do you mean by getting the "input and output clipping setup"?

I.e., what exactly does that entail?

Didn't do anything myself as of yet to check for clipping.

You should be setting up your gain structure across the board. I don't think there is a thread about this and there should be, I know it has been discussed before, but there isn't a "How to properly setup Gain structure Guide" I know what we did, but I'm sure there are better methods to do this.

Maybe someone can start this thread and write up a quick thorough guide on the subject.

Penngray discussed it here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1252882&page=2
post #118 of 507 Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a bit more time now....

Basically what we did was play the WOTW scene which is pretty well documented for having really heavy low bass over and over again (we probably could have used test tones for this). First we turned off all the amps (subs and speakers) and set the D2v at the highest volume it would ever go to, which is adjustable, I can set it to what ever I want. (0db to +20db, or whatever) Then we adjusted the sub out gain to get the DCX input clip lights to just about red. Then we adjusted all the DCX outputs to the same and then the Sub amps gains to show the same so we are getting max non clipping output.

I'm not sure how you would do that with an AVR, but it looks like they covered some of that in the post I linked. Are you using the DCX?

Then after that we started EQing individual subs from that point
post #119 of 507 Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Yes, using the DCX. But simply left it's gain/level control on "0", and then used the gains on the pro-amp to get to 72 to 73db with pink noise on the AVR and the AVR's sub level slightly below 0 (has a range of -10 to +10 IIRC or thereabouts).
Yeah, didn't follow that thread overly well!

Hmmm ... let's see if I have this right:

1. Remove all the speaker wire from the terminals on the back of the AVR (as I don't think I can just turn them off?)
2. Turn the pro-amp for the sub off
3. Play a low test tone (20hz/40/60hz??) over and over
4. Turn up the main volume knob on the AVR (I assume you mean the main "volume" knob?)
5. Use the sub trim level in the AVR and adjust upwards until the DCX input lights clip to almost red

Wait, what does "adjust the DCX outputs to the same" mean?

Clearly I'm missing a few steps!

Quote:

post #120 of 507 Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 840
"gimme a list of awesome bass songs to play my friend"

the last few posts seem to be going off 'track'. warp, how about playing *your* favorite music and movies as a test. if your system kicks arse on *your* content, then...you are done!

finding a track with a 5hz pulse and then blasting it, comparing it with all others, and arguing over whose system is "best", makes no sense to me. if your system kicks arse or fails on content that you never play or don't care about, who cares?

your system doesn't seem to have any compromises, but the discussion brings up a point that seems to be increasingly missing...not everybody has the same goals...one man's hovel is another man's castle.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page