Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54 View Post

Stop editing your posts to add things after the fact. Haha.. are you serious? A vented loudspeaker is not a Helmholtz radiator, but it employs a Helmholtz resonance.

As for your reed instrument examples you are just showing that you have no clue how they work. The air flow has nothing to do with the sound. The air flow is used to modulate the reed, which acts as a diaphragm here. Ya know like a speaker diaphragm. If you had ever had anything to do with instruments you would know that just blowing through and instrument gets you no sound at all. Just an amplified blowing sound. It works like Tom Danley's sonic boom generator, or somewhat like the Rotary Sub.

I beat there is a link at that site that will go into the mechanics for you.

I'll be at RMAF. Perhaps if you're going as well, we can meet up and you can show me how much a transmission line speaker possesses Helmholtz resonance by blowing across the terminus vent hole.....
post #123 of 141 Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's funny, I don't remember ever saying anything about a TL with a Helmholtz resonance.
post #124 of 141 Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by villastrangiato View Post

I'll be at RMAF. Perhaps if you're going as well, we can meet up and you can show me how much a transmission line speaker possesses Helmholtz resonance by blowing across the terminus vent hole.....

How would exciting the resonance at the terminus indicate what the resonance mechanism is?

Noah
post #125 of 141 Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

Thanks Doug.
One day I'll find someone in this hemisphere .

cheers,

AJ

p.s. I see Villastrauricle is here. Oh joy :-)

AJinFLA....Damn dude, you have been here a long time but you never post. It always reminds me how many members from other forums lurk elsewhere.

What we need is one overall site engine that combines all threads forums....one big DIY sharing website

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #126 of 141 Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

What we need is one overall site engine that combines all threads forums....one big DIY sharing website

I like it.

Noah
post #127 of 141 Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ZL,

I see you have a price guide for the Nao Note, but the web page for the NN states "he NaO Note is speaker currently under development at Music and Design". Is the speaker design close to completion?

Thanks,
Raul

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #128 of 141 Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Liked: 12
The Nao Note seems to be complete last time I looked. Pricing is on the products page.

explore the music
post #129 of 141 Old 10-16-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antripodean View Post

The Nao Note seems to be complete last time I looked. Pricing is on the products page.

That is interesting, when I visited the web page it stated the speaker was still in development even though there was a price schedule in the Options and Pricing page.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #130 of 141 Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought he was now working on the Nao Note II so the Nao Note has been out for a bit. John K posts on DIYAudio.com all the time so you can just ask in the multi-speaker forum.

post #131 of 141 Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is probably the source of my confusion. Thanks Pen. It is the NN II I'm waiting to find out about.

post #132 of 141 Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The nao note was just released this month. There is a nao note II already? The polar measurements for the Note look great. I'd love to hear it.
post #133 of 141 Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

The nao note was just released this month. There is a nao note II already? The polar measurements for the Note look great. I'd love to hear it.

I don't post here but came upon this message and wanted to clear things up. The NaO Note was released October 1, 2010. There are no updates or a "II" version. I do not anticipate any changes in the immediate future unless feedback from builders indicates a consistent area where improvement could be made.

There were some earlier "preview" web pages that I failed to delete from my site. They were of the preliminary design efforts. The released version of the Note is documented on the current pages of my site.

I hope this clears things up.

John k....
post #134 of 141 Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks John for signing up and clarifying everything. My confusion comes from the NAO II link on your site but that is not the Nao Note.

Sorry for any confusion on this topic.

For everyone else here is John K's site

Great info and links on this page....lots of topics that will make your head spin over speaker building.
http://www.musicanddesign.com/Old_Home.html

http://www.musicanddesign.com/products.html

post #135 of 141 Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for confusing me Pen I guess I should try and find out about the NN. John, has anyone near NJ or better yet, Ontario (Canada) constructed the speaker yet?

Thanks

post #136 of 141 Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

Thanks for confusing me Pen I guess I should try and find out about the NN. John, has anyone near NJ or better yet, Ontario (Canada) constructed the speaker yet?

Thanks

So far I have sold plan sets to builders in Europe and Australia. None have been completed. Plans have only been available for 3 weeks though. I don't really promote my stuff. It's just a hobby and I happy to share wnat I do and cover my development cost.

The only completed system to date (and Lord knows I'll be tinkering with it to try and make it better) is the one in my home in Connecticut. I'll be at the NE DIY event with it this weekend.
post #137 of 141 Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk... View Post
I don't post here but came upon this message and wanted to clear things up. The NaO Note was released October 1, 2010. There are no updates or a "II" version. I do not anticipate any changes in the immediate future unless feedback from builders indicates a consistent area where improvement could be made.
All the pretty polar pictures are nice to look at but knowing and having worked with the tweeter you've selected over several years, I think it would be a lot more beneficial to those considering building this design if you posted information about the limited vertical window in which high frequency tonal balance will be maintained. The tweeter chosen, although superb in many respects, was primarily intended for line array use and has very limited vertical dispersion. Unlike the Orion's SEAS Millenium Excel, there will most definitely be a significant difference in tonal balance from sitting to standing position. If you haven't built an adjustment into the base of the enclosure to produce some tilting, perhaps it should be considered.
post #138 of 141 Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villastrangiato View Post

If you haven't built an adjustment into the base of the enclosure to produce some tilting, perhaps it should be considered.

Would he not risk reducing performance in the seated position?

post #139 of 141 Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

Would he not risk reducing performance in the seated position?

Not sure why. My most recent build has some design cues from Wilson's Alexandria but incorporates tilting adjustment at the speaker's base instead of up above. If using a planar driver like the NEO 3 solo, it makes sense to put adjustability somewhere, whether tilting the entire speaker or a subset of the drivers to maintain the desired geometry.

If I'm reading you correctly, tilting for listening while standing is likely to compromise seated listening and tilting for seated listening is likely to compromise listening while standing - unless you have Napoleon's physical stature. A small array would be a better approach with this driver in terms of reduced distortion, dynamics, bandwidth, and dispersion. But that would require a little more design ingenuity, testing, and enclosure construction skills.
post #140 of 141 Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM

I've owned and listened to Gedlee Summas for close to half a decade. Some thoughts:

1) I don't think they sound much like dipoles. Dipoles tend to exhibit a lot of 'bloom'. They have a 'spacious' sound. I think a lot of this is due to reflections off of the back wall.
2) I'm definitely a fan of dipole designs. Actually found this thread while trying to find someone who'd compared the Kreskovsky or Linkwitz kits to the Geddes kits. I've heard the Vanderstien and Alon dipoles.
3) While people tend to fixate on the waveguide of the Geddes speakers, I'd argue that the midbass and the imaging are possibly it's strongest suit. That 15TBX100 is a heck of a driver. I wish the speaker was smaller, but I cannot deny that the dynamics are to die for.
post #141 of 141 Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik6 View Post

While people tend to fixate on the waveguide of the Geddes speakers, I'd argue that the midbass and the imaging are possibly it's strongest suit. That 15TBX100 is a heck of a driver. I wish the speaker was smaller, but I cannot deny that the dynamics are to die for.
Would the imaging not be a result of proper implementation of the waveguide with the woofer? Also, do the dynamics benefit from the use of the waveguide?

Thanks for your info.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page