Troels Gravesen DTQWT - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 62 Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaccoustics View Post

Hello troels,

Thanks for joining.

I dont know what to say. Ive had my ears tested and I can here to 19/20khz which is very good. I also have no particular dips in my hearing of interest either, but I just find to my taste that running the trebble a little hot sounds more exciting and 'right'.

And I crave dynamics/excitement!!

what can I say....Im a simple person.

On a side note.- I must say that I feel that waveguides as a whole are the answer for domestic audio reproduction. Im convinced of it now. Having made the waveguide on the dtqwt and its variants, what do you think?

Hi,

I've visited Troels and listened to the DTQWT. There's no doubt that Troels is knowing what he is doing. The DTQWT does not sound laid back at all to my ears.
We played all kinds of music for hours at 100dB+ and I had no listening fatigue at all. This tells me the speaker is perfectly designed.
More treble (and distortion) will make my ears bleed so Troels did this very right IMHO. Change one resistor to adjust the level of the tweeter, easy and cheap.

Look into the Hørning Agathon Ultimate which is the inspiration for the DTQWT I think. I've not heard the Agathons but the Euprodite at Tommy Hørnings place in Brabrand/Århus. I was very disappointed about the Euprodite. The modified Lowther was too colored for my taste and the bass was lacking punch and power ten fold! They played deep, yes, but who want such big headphones!?

The DTQWT is another story. So clean, uncolored and neutral! And dynamics in spades! And the bass? Deep, clean, detailed, powerful and scale the acoustic bass to have a true life like size! Wow! :-D

Very few can make crossovers that really blend the sound from multiple drivers together so it really works. Troels is one of those very few masters. I'm indeed impressed.

Happy to be building my own pair of the DTQWT, and now in MKII, check troelsgravesen.dk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaccoustics View Post

I like the aesthetics of a 3 way with a big horn and a little one on top, but Im not sure it would be worth the added complexity and cost. Considering the price of the 2" radian, This could get realy expensive.
Unless a cheap supertweeter can be had that performs well in the top range.

Looking at the FR data, the driver is good out to 20k, I assume people dont run the driver up that high in a horn due to the horn itself rolling the top end off.-but presumablly, this would be the same regardless of the sise of the mouth used, so even the 1.4" would perform the same in a 400hz horn.

I dont have any FR data on the horns im looking at yet, and likely im not going to untill I actually get them here to test.

I once had the 2" Radian 950PB. The very best compression driver I've heard. Clearly better than TAD, BMS and all the Altec drivers I've heard, including the 288...

The Radian driver sounded so smooth, dynamic and right.
The major problem is, for me at least, how impossible it's to make neutral sounding system using multiple horns.
And the fuzz about coaxial drivers does not make it better IME/IMHO.

A friend are using the 950PB in a 400 Hz horn, a super tweeter and open baffle bass (four 15" Eminence alpha 15a) each side. Properly the best way to go using compression drivers?

Build the DTQWT MKII and don't worry about loudspeakers for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page