Gasp... Wolfie's getting stuff done. Uh-oh!
Not a cloud in the sky today, so I was out there making sawdust. Unfortunately, I only managed to get two of the three sheets chopped up today. I don't know about you guys, but when I've been out in the sun and I stop sweating, I also stop working in the sun.
Cutting the two biggest panels for this project is hard enough. Doing it when I haven't been able to exercise properly since last June due to knee issues only makes things harder. I need to work on my cardio.
That said, I am pleased to report that 4 of 12 panels are done and they are accurate to +/- 1mm. You know the saying "measure twice, cut once?" I'm a little more OCD than that. I measured 4-5 times for each cut. Took 3 hours that way, but at least I now have panels way more accurate than the last tapped horn had.
Something else I learned - the new "saw guide" is actually less accurate than the two piece metal straightedge. It's bowed 4mm out in the middle. I had to mount a scrap board to it and clamp it down for tension to make it accurate. As a result, I'm going to have to use the two piece on the final sheet. Those cuts have to be as accurate as I can make them, and I don't see any other way to do it. The two piece has one section that's bowed inward by 1mm. That's acceptable, I think. I'll clamp a stiffening board to it, like in the below picture of my new saw guide - should keep it from bowing inward.
One last thing before pictures. The 40 tooth carbide tipped saw blade is the best thing I ever did. Thanks go to lilmike for the suggestion. Way faster than the plywood blade was, and just as clean cutting.
First cut of the day. Much, much better.
One of the big side panels done.
Working on the mouth side. That masking tape was a suggestion by someone to keep the birch layer from chipping. It didn't work. The saw ripped the tape right off the wood. Ah well... I'm not building a work of art, here. I picked this wood because it was cheap, but good quality.
Four pieces done, in their place of final assembly in front of the projector screen. Tomorrow, I hope to be recovered enough to finish off that last panel.