I'm bringing this thread back from the grave as it has some information that I am finding very useful in my first DIY sub project. I'm impressed with the technical knowledge being offered, but, I must admit that most of it went straight over my head. I was hoping someone could help me read between the lines to determine what drivers to go with.
Here is my criteria:
1. Want a sealed design.
2. Two separate cabinets..
3. 15" drivers
4. Each enclosure with two drivers in a dual-opposed design.
5. No limit on size of cabinets
6. I have no amplifier yet so that can be purchased to best meet the needs of the driver/cabinet design.
7. I have no room or interest in an IB design.
8. I want quality drivers, but, not necessarily a "cost no object" choice. If there is a driver that is 95% performance of the best, but at a price 20% less than the best, that is what I prefer to purchase. I have no desire to chase after that last 5% of performance. Once I choose the drivers I am hopeful the cabinet design and amp selection will just be a matter of proper modeling.
I have considered the Fi Q series, Dayton Titanic, TC sounds LMS, and others. It seems they are all good drivers, but, each performs best in certain cabinet designs or with a certain level of power. I am hoping that considering the criteria above I can get some suggestions for a quality driver. If price were no option, which it is, I would go with the LMS ultra 18". However, since I am not limited on cabinet size, perhaps a lesser priced 15", in a dual opposed design, will equal the performance of an ultra.
My room is an open family room, 5,000 to 6,000 ft3. My speakers are Aerial Acoustics LR5's (three LCR)crossed over to the subs at 80 hz. I am 90% home theater, but, want quality bass to complement my Aerials when I do listen to music. Before drinking the DIY kool-aid I was about to pull the trigger on one (or two) Seaton Submersive HP's.
Thanks for any input
Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.