AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Welcome to my LP THT build thread. Here's my progress thus far:

Quote:

Thanks for your order.

Your plans and model files are attached. To view the model go to http://sketchup.google.com/download.html to download a free program that allows you to view the model, turn the x-ray mode on and off, rotate the model in space, and print different views of it.

For any help and advice you may need building your speaker, please go to our on-line forum at:
www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Save a copy of this email as your proof of purchase for ordering future updates.

Thanks again. Bill Fitzmaurice.

Quote:

INTERNET ORDER DETAILS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QTY PartNumber Product Price Ext. Price
1 260-335 Speaker Grill Cloth Black Yard 70" Wide $7.25 $7.25
1 260-367 Heavy Duty Grill Guides 12 Pair $3.25 $3.25
1 340-255 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive 24 fl. oz./16.75 oz. Net Wt. $11.95 $11.95
1 CATALOG FREE CATALOG $0.00 $0.00
1 260-776 Cast Frame #10-32 Speaker Mounting Kit $3.39 $3.39
1 260-542 Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 1/2" x 50 ft. Roll $6.48 $6.48
1 295-468 Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm $159.90 $159.90
1 260-283 Round Speaker Terminal 2-7/8" Gold Binding Post $4.98 $4.98
1 Economy Shipping $0.00 $0.00

Ok that's about it so far...gotta start somewhere.

I'll be powering with one channel of a QSC RMX850 - 280W @ 4 ohms, so should be plenty. Looking for a used FBD too.

I don't even have a working theater yet, so hopefully I don't slow down my progress on that too much. Couldn't resist the temptation to get started on this. My current subwoofer is a pretty ancient Velodyne VA-1215X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow, that is an ancient sub .....I still have mine, although it hasn't been used in a long time! Your THT should be quite an improvement. I've only owned 3 subs since '94 and have all 3. Velodyne VA-1215X, SVS PB12-NSD and now the Danley DTS-10.

Good luck with your build!
post #3 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mmm, DTS-10, nice! Yeah I've been needing an upgrade for a long time, I had the Velodyne in the living room, just brought it to the HT to test out the new receiver, once I have the THT done, the Velodyne will go back inside I guess, or maybe sell, but probably can't get much for them these days.
post #4 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

elapsed time: 10 days.
progress: parts order arrived, bought plywood (arauco)/PL/screws, cut 4 pieces from the first supply sheet.

Yes, I am ripping right along.
post #5 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Yes, I am ripping right along.

Hey, I had my THT plans in hand for three months (!!!!) before I started making any sawdust, so you're on track...
post #6 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I have the plans and a bunch of new clamps. A project this good you don't want to rush into all at once.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hush. I've been at the 'salivating on my keyboard' phase for a couple years now... Somehow life always gets in front of the fun-money.

We love overkill. -- gperkins1973
My fuse box is my HPF. -- kryptonitewhite

2x18 Ficar IB3 Infinite Baffle Manifold Install
post #8 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

Hey, I had my THT plans in hand for three months (!!!!) before I started making any sawdust, so you're on track...

Same here, received the plans on June 7th, created this thread 3 months later. Oh well, noone can accuse us of not taking the time to adequately digest all the nuances of the plan before diving in. Looks like I'm in good company with my pace. How'd your THT work out for you (I read your build thread, just wondering whether the results were what you were looking for / expecting)?
post #9 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:

How'd your THT work out for you (I read your build thread, just wondering whether the results were what you were looking for / expecting)?

I'm very happy with the results. Quite impactful for both HT and music. Doesnt require much power to blow you out of the room.

Sonically, one of the best & enjoyable $400 investments I've made. My fourth sub in a series of upgrades ( CSW Basecube 12-sub > BIC F12 > SVS PC12 > THT)...

One NOTE: With the THT, I realized how many items in my room buzz or rattle so I spent quite bit of time padding cabinet latches, securing window frames & window covering, secure items on shelves.
post #10 of 54 Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I will be building mine in the next month.

I have had my plans and driver and everything else for about 1 year now. Then I saw Bill made the small profile version so I thought I would try this instead of the massive footprint original.

I was going to start a long time ago but received the wrong amplifier 110vac but needed 220vac. PLUS I dont have any tools. I do now have a few tools and am finally trying to finish my SLA's and then start my THT lp.

I will be buying a stepdown transformer so I can use the amp. But that is another 65 dollars right now I dont have yet.

So hopefully by the time I learn some more from this build I will then be able to start my build.
post #11 of 54 Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Might be cheaper to eBay the 110 ac amp, and buy a 220?
post #12 of 54 Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Shipping is what kills. SO I was just stuck with what I have and the place was going to have me pay the shipping both to them and back to me. SO I have just had it collecting duct.

The step down I needed cost over $100. I have now found one around 60 that I will be using. If I was back home I could get one for around $35-40. But shipping to OZ is expensive so it ended up being around the same price as the ones here.
post #13 of 54 Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

What width are you going to make?

Are your sheets of plywood 4x8 or 5x5 or is 5x5 just Baltic birch?

I just have my 2 sheets of 1/2 ply and need one more to get started or atleast to finish......man I guess I could have started mine. Dang it.... Well I still have to finish the SLA LCR. I am almost done with the L/R and need to start building the center channel. I have to work out the crossover also. But atleast I can watch your build and then build mine.

What finish are you going to do? Any ideas?
post #14 of 54 Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

>> What width are you going to make?

24.5", the suggested size to minimize plywood waste - that size also works out well as far as dimensions that I can accommodate behind my screen wall, laying on its side, while still leaving room for LCRs at appropriate height.

>> Are your sheets of plywood 4x8 or 5x5 or is 5x5 just Baltic birch?

4x8 1/2" Arauco from Lowes - they didn't show it online at my store, but when I visited there, they had it. I don't have a truck, so I had to rent the Lowes truck to get it home.

>> What finish are you going to do? Any ideas?

Just basic black, maybe the Duratex stuff I hear about unless I can find something cheaper. Mine is going to be hidden, so no need to make it look too nice - plus the grain on the Arauco isn't all that nice looking IMO anyway.

Tonight I got panel 1 cut for the driver, attached, and got one of the sides attached woo. I'll take the obligatory pictures tomorrow to show my mediocre carpentry. Full disclosure!
post #15 of 54 Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

24.5" will be the same as I am wanting to build.

I too dont have a truck and had to borrow a truck also. SO look forward to the pics
post #16 of 54 Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Just basic black, maybe the Duratex stuff I hear about unless I can find something cheaper. Mine is going to be hidden, so no need to make it look too nice - plus the grain on the Arauco isn't all that nice looking IMO anyway.

Since it's going to be hidden, I'd recommend you save yourself $50+ (+rollers, etc) by going basic black vs the duratex. Unless its on display, in plain view or you plan on taking it with you on roadtrips, best save a few $$ were you can. In hindsight on my THT, I probably would've been just as happy keeping it flat black versus the cost & labor of using duratex. It all looks the same in the dark! Sounds the same too!

Flat black finish (much darker in person): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...flatblack2.jpg

Duratex finish: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...THT_finasl.jpg
post #17 of 54 Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you use a smooth finish foam roller you can get a much more subtle texture effect with the Duratex. I also put on two coats of Auto sandable primer first. That should help hide the grain if it is a problem. Don't forget the sanding sealer before the primer. Of course if you are never going to see them you could just roll on a couple of coats of black wall paint and call it a day.

post #18 of 54 Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Love that finish BigmouthinDC.
post #19 of 54 Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished precutting all the sheets earlier this week after work (thanks to whoever it was who posted the link to CutList btw, invaluable). Cut the driver hole (used jigsaw and then wood file to clean it up; followed by and angled router bit to give some relief on one side for the driver surround to clear), got the hurricane nuts set, and installed panel 1 on Thursday. Then went at it and made good progress yesterday after work (thankfully I telecommute on Fridays, so as soon as I ended work, I went at it and got in about four hours).

The plywood in the background is for something else - nicely warped 1/4" plywood. Actually one of the sheets I used for the THT was pretty warped too, hence the pipe clamps straightening it out.

I got a little overzealous trying to compensate for the warped panel, and was working a bit too fast, and ended up shoving the 2/8 braces in a bit too far / hard, resulting in a somewhat pregnant bulge on one side. On the left side you can see the panel curving out a bit, I think it won't be too bad once I mount the last panel and pull it in before screwing it down.

CutList printout in the background, and some more braces marked and clamped, ready to work some more today after I get back from my son's soccer game, and from the supermarket (having people over tonight, need to get cooking stuff - going to make some crockpot pulled pork and some seasoned fries and onion rings). The pile of panels and braces is getting significantly smaller, yay!

Looks like I have some scraping to do to cleanup the extra PL. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the messiness of PL, I didn't find it that hard to get off my hands with soap and water.

Hitting 1/2" plywood on edge with a screw is kind of hit and miss - here are a couple of the misses.

Thanks for the feedback on finishes. I'll look for something cheap, Duratex seems pretty pricey, maybe I'll just get a can of primer and black latex paint at Home Depot. I wonder if a quart or would be enough, or if I should just get a gallon.
post #20 of 54 Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the top on, the last bracing, installed binding post. Still have to mount the driver, wire, check for leaks, attach the chamber cover, test, fill holes, prime, paint. Need to remember to pick up some auto body filler, truck camper shell weather strip, 3' plastic / latex tubing. Oh also going to make a speaker grill for the front to keep it from filling up with random debris.

post #21 of 54 Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Lookin good! Great pics!

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #22 of 54 Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 930
not sure how to "pimp it", as it looks like it is coming along just fine.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #23 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Great progress, Are you breaking in the driver? Is there any leftover pulled pork?
post #24 of 54 Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

Lookin good! Great pics!

dbl

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

not sure how to "pimp it", as it looks like it is coming along just fine.

Thanks LTD02. Its my first speaker build, so far the only mistakes have been recoverable/cosmetic, crossing my fingers the rest of the way. I got a little excited to put the top on, and mounted it upside down before I noticed (good side to the inside - outside isn't too bad though, just some knots, but I'm painting it anyway). So much for predrilling all the little pilot holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Great progress, Are you breaking in the driver? Is there any leftover pulled pork?

No, and yes, respectively. I was having too much fun building the coffin to break in the driver - did download some test tones last night though, maybe I'll set that up tonight. I'll need to clean up the HT room before I drag it in there to test it though, floor still covered with sawdust and drywall mud dust. Really must get a shop vac one of these days.

The pulled pork turned out good, still have some leftovers, probably will throw it on some rice tonight. 4 lbs pork, 1 1/2 bottles of bbq sauce, 2 cans of rootbeer, in the crockpot for 6 hours on high, yum.
post #25 of 54 Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 930
"Thanks LTD02. Its my first speaker build, so far the only mistakes have been recoverable/cosmetic, crossing my fingers the rest of the way. I got a little excited to put the top on, and mounted it upside down before I noticed (good side to the inside - outside isn't too bad though, just some knots, but I'm painting it anyway). So much for predrilling all the little pilot holes."

lol...you think you are the first to f' that one up....you are doing just fine man. it is look'n more bad arse with every pic. can't wait 'till you fire them up.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #26 of 54 Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

4 lbs pork, 1 1/2 bottles of bbq sauce, 2 cans of rootbeer, in the crockpot for 6 hours on high, yum.

And I'm sitting here with my Jimmy Dean turkey sausage and eggwhites breakfast bowl. It's not fair.
post #27 of 54 Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well at least your cholesterol is probably trending better than mine after the pulled pork fiesta - time to mix in some salads.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the holes patched, sanded, primed, and painted.

Hopefully will get the cables I ordered from monoprice on Monday, so I can wire it up and test - not to mention break in the driver which I haven't done yet.
post #29 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's looking great so far. BTW, that paint is the exact same that I spray on before using the Duratex. A gallon of Duratex will cover several speakers so if you divide out the cost it really isn't too expensive. I have coated a THT, 2 TLAH's, 1 SLA, 2 small surrounds, and an entertainment rack with the same gallon. By using the base coat you can stretch it pretty far.
Keep up the good work, looks nice!!!
post #30 of 54 Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks ts - interesting about the Duratex. As I mentioned, mine will be behind the screen at least initially, so went the cheap route (quart of the primer was about $10, same for a quart of the paint). If I decide to move it into the room, I'll probably pop for the Duratex, as it seems to cover the surface imperfections a bit better.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page