So it's finished, got the whole thing together this evening and start to carry it into position and hear 'clank--clank', left the #@!'ing flashlight in there. So after a quick amp removal and re-install got it set next to the LFE cable (not final position) and gave her a whirl with some reggae vinyl. Nice and clean bass.
DS1510 vs DS1500 Driver side profile.
Driver cones, sadly that nice looking single piece cone is going to be facing the floor (DS1510 left).
Driver In (glued some 1/8" ~60 durometer rubber on for isolation and grip w/ a staple while the adhesive sets)
Amp In (the first time).
Side Profile - Finished!.
See, this is why I stay away from here and elsewhere, I have enough projects going on already. 3 weeks ago I login to try and find an answer for about an amp, start catching up with the goings on and the next thing you know I'm build Lilmike's Exodus TH, I order new Rythmik drivers and build another sub, and then yesterday morning I ended up ordering all this (minus the PC890 had that lying around), this hobbie is a curse.Preamble and Build.....
So I had a Rythmik 600A servo plate amp sitting around from some previous testing. Finally got around to ordering new drivers. First attempt is the new DS5010 driver which is basically a 15"+ version of the original. I usually don't post builds but Nith asked so what the hell.
Basic design is a tapered edge square end table, bottom firing woofer. Box = 3 cuft net after bracing, driver, amp. Core materials is 3/4" baltic birch which I veneered with some QS walnut,with massuranduba legs and trim.
Final cut after veneering.
Loose tenons on the legs and side for easy alignment.
Pre-Fit sides w/legs
Box clamped, screwed, and glued
Top glued and clamped
Anyhow that's my progress so far this week. Tomorrow is bracing and glue the top on. Then comes sanding, sanding... vinyl sealer, sanding, some lacquer, more sanding, some more lacquer..... You know the fun part
The next day...
Cleaned up the glue joints and did a little pre-sanding near the to-be-bonded edges. Used a large cross brace and additional sticks from off-cuts to work around the amp and add glue surface for the top. Last clamped on the top.....
Cross-brace, DS5010 has a 8.5"+ diameter magnet.
Adding the top, using 4x4 to create a parallel clamping surface.
And the next day...
Epoxied the massaranduba edge banding around the driver cut-out and walnut veneer around the amp. Cut the top to final dimensions and rough sanded the edging near flush to the veneer center and then hand scraped it to final.
Edge band glue-up
Top scraped in
And the next next day....
Edge banding flushed up and the whole bit sanded to 240g. 3 thin coats of vinyl sealer on with a little defurring in between.
A few days later.....
So I got 4 coats of lacquer on Sunday, 1st and 2nd tinted with blood red and blue, 3rd and 4th clear. Monday, sanded back, layed down 5th and 6th coat of an amber mix (yellow, red, brown) and then the 7th and 8th coat of original tint. There were a few remaining parts of the top edging that had not filled so I painted in some thick lacquer with an art brush to harden overnight. Finally to today, sanded back the whole cabinet to 400 and then sprayed a 9th and final full wet coat of another amber mix with a blended sheen of 65. Now just have to wait a few hours for the final coating to harden a bit so I can install the driver and amp. Finished pics to come....
After 4 coats
After 8 coats
After final sanding, ready for finish coat.
Finished build at the top.