MiniDSP - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #3121 of 3136 Old 06-28-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Yes. Here is how it works. You take an REW measurement of your subs. You then click on the EQ tab in REW, follow the instructions on how to generate EQ filters, save the filters to a file on your disk, and then load the filters into the 2x4. Works like a charm.

More detailed instructions can be found in my 2x4 guide linked in my sig (Step 7).
I don't use REW for subs i use it for my 2 way pair of speakers.. Does it work like that for 2 way speakers ?

It's all about the magic Beans & sand. Could also be how the heigh of levelling your cables off the floor !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3136 Old 06-28-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
I don't use REW for subs i use it for my 2 way pair of speakers.. Does it work like that for 2 way speakers ?
REW will create DSP filters for any measurement you load into the EQ tool. And if you use the 2x4 to equalize your main speakers, then loading the DSP filters into the 2x4 will then correct your main speakers.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3123 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi all,

So I want to break out of the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 realm, and take a step ahead with proper eq and room correction methods. Currently i've eq'ed my 7.1 setup using the Denon 4311CI AVR which uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Can i just get the miniDSP Balanced 2x4 or do i need to get something more advanced for the 7.1 setup? I was talking to someone who will be helping me tune my theater and he asked me to get the minidsp DDRC-88A or it was a miniDSP 10x10 Hd, true? I forget, or is it something else u need for a 7.1 setup? I dont have a dedicated amp. the speakers are fired off the 4311ci denon avr, and the sub is va a SA1000 Dayton amp.

I have a Tuba HT (THT Sub), i think it would be around 20hz or a bit +/- if tuned properly, so is the minidsp the right way to go, do they have filters for anything below 20Hz? I see a lot of ppl use the Behringer FBD, anyways.. please guide me on the right solution for mysetup. Oh and, the speakers are the Definitive Technology Mythos ST (i use the sub a bit on that as well for lower frequency, the TFR on the specs is (14 Hz - 30 kHz))

Last edited by holyindian; 06-30-2015 at 01:16 PM.
post #3124 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

delete double post.

Last edited by holyindian; 06-30-2015 at 12:08 PM.
post #3125 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Hi all,

So I want to break out of the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 realm, and take a step ahead with proper eq and room correction methods. Currently i've eq'ed my 7.1 setup using the Denon 4311CI AVR which uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Can i just get the miniDSP Balanced 2x4 or do i need to get something more advanced for the 7.1 setup? I was talking to someone who will be helping me tune my theater and he asked me to get the minidsp DDRC-88A or it was a miniDSP 10x10 Hd, true? I forget, or is it something else u need for a 7.1 setup? I dont have a dedicated amp. the speakers are fired off the 4311ci denon avr, and the sub is va a SA1000 Dayton amp.

I have a Tuba HT, i think it would be around 20hz or a bit +/- if tuned properly, so is the minidsp the right way to go, do they have filters for anything below 20Hz? I see a lot of ppl use the Behringer FBD, anyways.. please guide me on the right solution for mysetup. Oh and, the speakers are the Definitive Technology Mythos ST (i use the sub a bit on that as well for lower frequency, the TFR on the specs is (14 Hz - 30 kHz))
I don't think you're going to be dramatically better than Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with the miniDSP 2x4. Audyssey (of that flavor) does a pretty fine job of room correction, and handles subwoofer frequencies well. That being said, moving up to the DDRC-88A gets you DIRAC room correction, which has been described as "better than Audyssey" (mine arrives tomorrow). But, you would need external amplifiers to go down that path.
ellisr63 and holyindian like this.
post #3126 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
I don't think you're going to be dramatically better than Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with the miniDSP 2x4. Audyssey (of that flavor) does a pretty fine job of room correction, and handles subwoofer frequencies well. That being said, moving up to the DDRC-88A gets you DIRAC room correction, which has been described as "better than Audyssey" (mine arrives tomorrow). But, you would need external amplifiers to go down that path.
Thanks, I missed the part that DDRC-88A requires an external amplification, well i am not looking to add additional amp in my current makeshift room, but its in the near horizon.
Earlier on the forum, i was recommended to move to minidsp once i get in sync with the Audyssey, and graduate slowly to dedicated eq and room correction systems. I was under the impression that minidsp does a better job compared to the XT32

Last edited by holyindian; 06-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #3127 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Tuba HT (THT Sub), i think it would be around 20hz or a bit +/- if tuned properly, so is the minidsp the right way to go, do they have filters for anything below 20Hz? I see a lot of ppl use the Behringer FBD, anyways.. please guide me on the right solution for mysetup. Oh and, the speakers are the Definitive Technology Mythos ST (i use the sub a bit on that as well for lower frequency, the TFR on the specs is (14 Hz - 30 kHz))
Audyssey XT32 is a very powerful and sophisticated room correction system. I find it highly unlikely that you would be able to duplicate the Audyssey results with a device as simple as the 2x4.

However, the DDRC-88A is an entirely different story. It has Dirac Live room correction technology, which is also very advanced. Speaking from personal experience, having used Audyssey XT32 for many years on first the Denon 4311, and then the Denon 4520, and finally on the Marantz 8801, I switched to Dirac Live around the first of this year. I find Dirac to produce even better results when compared with Audyssey, especially in the area of reduced room reflections. It is both simple to implement, yet powerful in its ability to create custom curves and store more than one calibration for instantaneous recall. Since the 88A is an analog device which sits between the AVR or Pre-pro 7.1 analog outputs and a power amp, you may need additional hardware to implement.

I can highly recommend the 88A. I also use the 2x4, but only to consolidate multiple subs onto one channel. The 2x4 is somewhat limited in its capabilities when coming to addressing the calibration of an entire system.
ellisr63 and holyindian like this.
post #3128 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Audyssey XT32 is a very powerful and sophisticated room correction system. I find it highly unlikely that you would be able to duplicate the Audyssey results with a device as simple as the 2x4.

However, the DDRC-88A is an entirely different story. It has Dirac Live room correction technology, which is also very advanced. Speaking from personal experience, having used Audyssey XT32 for many years on first the Denon 4311, and then the Denon 4520, and finally on the Marantz 8801, I switched to Dirac Live around the first of this year. I find Dirac to produce even better results when compared with Audyssey, especially in the area of reduced room reflections. It is both simple to implement, yet powerful in its ability to create custom curves and store more than one calibration for instantaneous recall. Since the 88A is an analog device which sits between the AVR or Pre-pro 7.1 analog outputs and a power amp, you may need additional hardware to implement.

I can highly recommend the 88A. I also use the 2x4, but only to consolidate multiple subs onto one channel. The 2x4 is somewhat limited in its capabilities when coming to addressing the calibration of an entire system.
THanks for your replies, this helps a lot. I will keep the DDRC-88A in my wishlist, and within two years when my room theater is ready i will go that route.
For now, with my current 7.1 setup with 1 THT sub, which minidsp setup do you recommend? I was told to make sure to get the minidsp that can use filters to tune LFE.
post #3129 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
THanks for your replies, this helps a lot. I will keep the DDRC-88A in my wishlist, and within two years when my room theater is ready i will go that route.
For now, with my current 7.1 setup with 1 THT sub, which minidsp setup do you recommend? I was told to make sure to get the minidsp that can use filters to tune LFE.
The answer is simple. Stick with Audyssey XT32. As I said, I don't think you will get any better results.
holyindian likes this.
post #3130 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The answer is simple. Stick with Audyssey XT32. As I said, I don't think you will get any better results.
Thanks, you've saved me big bucks.
post #3131 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Thanks, I missed the part that DDRC-88A requires an external amplification, well i am not looking to add additional amp in my current makeshift room, but its in the near horizon.
Earlier on the forum, i was recommended to move to minidsp once i get in sync with the Audyssey, and graduate slowly to dedicated eq and room correction systems. I was under the impression that minidsp does a better job compared to the XT32
You can...theoretically...get better results by EQ'ing your room manually, however you must have the knowledge and tools to do so. If you're not willing or able to put the time into learning a lot of audio theory and then learning how to use the tools, XT32 is a very attractive alternative.

Quote:
Personally, I have XT32 and also use a MiniDSP 2x4 on the subs (post-Audyssey, to boost ULF in my room). However, I would say unless you have a specific issue in your post-Audyssey response you need to address (that can't be fixed by sub placement alone), the MiniDSP isn't really a necessary piece of HT gear.
post #3132 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You can...theoretically...get better results by EQ'ing your room manually, however you must have the knowledge and tools to do so. If you're not willing or able to put the time into learning a lot of audio theory and then learning how to use the tools, XT32 is a very attractive alternative.

Personally, I have XT32 and also use a MiniDSP 2x4 on the subs (post-Audyssey, to boost ULF in my room). However, I would say unless you have a specific issue in your post-Audyssey response you need to address (that can't be fixed by sub placement alone), the MiniDSP isn't really a necessary piece of HT gear.
Alan, the reason i want to take a step ahead and look into MiniDSP is cos i have a pro-calibrator coming over to help me with this. Infact i remembered someone mentioning me about this few years back on the forum, that manual eq with the minidsp will help me achieve better results compared to the XT32
So you still think in my setup, with a pro-calibrator's help with just one sub (the THT) the minidsp would do better compared to the XT32 with manual eq'ing?
post #3133 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alan, the reason i want to take a step ahead and look into MiniDSP is cos i have a pro-calibrator coming over to help me with this. Infact i remembered someone mentioning me about this few years back on the forum, that manual eq with the minidsp will help me achieve better results compared to the XT32
So you still think in my setup, with a pro-calibrator's help with just one sub (the THT) the minidsp would do better compared to the XT32 with manual eq'ing?
Since the pro calibrator is likely charging you a fee for his services, would you expect him to deny that he can do a better job than Audyssey? While Alan may be correct that a manual effort may produce better results than Audyssey, I would claim that this is the exception, not the rule. It would take a lot of skills, good measurement equipment, and a well-treated room.

Unless you are really unhappy with the Audyssey results, save your money. If you are having issues with Audyssey, start a discussion in the Audyssey thread.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3134 of 3136 Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:

What Jerry said.

Quote:
Since the pro calibrator is likely charging you a fee for his services, would you expect him to deny that he can do a better job than Audyssey? While Alan may be correct that a manual effort may produce better results than Audyssey, I would claim that this is the exception, not the rule. It would take a lot of skills, good measurement equipment, and a well-treated room.

Unless you are really unhappy with the Audyssey results, save your money. If you are having issues with Audyssey, start a discussion in the Audyssey thread.
post #3135 of 3136 Old 07-01-2015, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
If the pro calibrator is just coming over to only audio, I'd cancel his services and save the money now by using just Audyssey XT32. Do the sub crawl test as shown in the
to find some optimal locations for your single sub and place it there. Then run Audyssey XT32 auto calibration and you're done.

Later on you're going to find that multiple subs are better than one, so save up for it.

After a while and once you're used to Audyssey XT32, there's going to be an up-grade bug that's going to bite. Look at room treatments and measurement options as a cost effective means to satisfy the sound quality itch. In Jerry's signature is a guide for carrying out REW room measurements using a USB mic.
holyindian likes this.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300 (on order).
post #3136 of 3136 Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
If the pro calibrator is just coming over to only audio, I'd cancel his services and save the money now by using just Audyssey XT32. Do the sub crawl test as shown in the Axiom Audio youtube video to find some optimal locations for your single sub and place it there. Then run Audyssey XT32 auto calibration and you're done.

Later on you're going to find that multiple subs are better than one, so save up for it.

After a while and once you're used to Audyssey XT32, there's going to be an up-grade bug that's going to bite. Look at room treatments and measurement options as a cost effective means to satisfy the sound quality itch. In Jerry's signature is a guide for carrying out REW room measurements using a USB mic.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. But a 36x36x36 inch sub that has to be corner loaded cannot afford a sub crawl test. Plus it's hard to put another sub of this same size in the same room. It's a monster sized sub. The THT subs are really large. But I get your point I think i will buy everyone's opions and stick with xt32 and wait till I get my theater ready and plan to build a wall of multiple 18" lms ultra, get additional amps and go the minidsp way.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs