MiniDSP - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz View Post
I would get the balanced and make some cables, but if you have to get the unbalanced I'd get the one with the greater output.
so get the RevB/2Vrms Max?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
so get the RevB/2Vrms Max?
They are the same hardware with a jumper in different positions. More importantly though, one needs to be very careful before choosing an unbalanced miniDSP 2x4. It's a flawed design that is incapable of driving most sub amps used by members here to full power. See this post for clarification. I looked up your sub, and it does not specify the input sensitivity of its power amplifier. However, it does say that it has a balanced input, so I'd say to get the balanced version of the miniDSP 2x4. In any event, do not get the unbalanced version unless you contact the manufacturer of your subs to verify that their amplifier input sensitivity is less than 0.9 Volts RMS.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
They are the same hardware with a jumper in different positions. More importantly though, one needs to be very careful before choosing an unbalanced miniDSP 2x4. It's a flawed design that is incapable of driving most sub amps used by members here to full power. See this post for clarification. I looked up your sub, and it does not specify the input sensitivity of its power amplifier. However, it does say that it has a balanced input, so I'd say to get the balanced version of the miniDSP 2x4. In any event, do not get the unbalanced version unless you contact the manufacturer of your subs to verify that their amplifier input sensitivity is less than 0.9 Volts RMS.
is there a guide on how to make the cable for balanced miniDSP 2x4?

Thanks
Femi
Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
It can be found in this thread, but I'd have to do the same work you would to find it. Part of miniDSP's business model is to offload support onto unsuspecting forum participants. I get suckered into it on occasion, if only to prevent people from buying something that won't work properly for them.

I'd suggest you post in their forum to insist they provide such a guide. It's long overdue.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5467 Post(s)
Liked: 3126
Quote:

Thanks
Femi
The balanced 2x4 has Phoenix connectors. Typically, to connect to the Phoenix, you would take an audio cable, cut it in half, strip the wires, and insert it into the connector. If you are using balanced connections from the AVR to the 2x4, and from the 2x4 to the sub, then instructions on how to make the cables can be found here.

If, however, the connections on both sides are unbalanced, then I personally don't know how to wire the connections. Perhaps someone else will offer advice.

I have a guide linked in my sig that explains various aspects of setting up the 2x4, if you are interested.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The balanced 2x4 has Phoenix connectors. Typically, to connect to the Phoenix, you would take an audio cable, cut it in half, strip the wires, and insert it into the connector. If you are using balanced connections from the AVR to the 2x4, and from the 2x4 to the sub, then instructions on how to make the cables can be found here.

If, however, the connections on both sides are unbalanced, then I personally don't know how to wire the connections. Perhaps someone else will offer advice.

I have a guide linked in my sig that explains various aspects of setting up the 2x4, if you are interested.
Would a XLR to RCA cable be consider a balanced connections?
The reason i ask is, I have a Denon 4520, if i strip the wires off the XLR end and insert into the Phoenix connect of minidsp 2x4 and then insert the RCA end to my Denon 4520 will that be ok/consider a balanced connections?

Thanks
Femi
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The reason i ask is, I have a Denon 4520, if i strip the wires off the XLR end and insert into the Phoenix connect of minidsp 2x4 and then insert the RCA end to my Denon 4520 will that be ok/consider a balanced connections?

Thanks
Femi
I believe so, yes.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
is there a guide on how to make the cable for balanced miniDSP 2x4?i
I wrote one here:

http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com...s-for-2x4.html

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks
Femi
On minidsp.com you can download the user manual for your version of the minidsp. but basically you would use the positive wire only on the rca side to the minidsp input and the ground wire and you would use a small cable to jumper both negative and ground, on the xlr side you would use all 3 positive negative and ground

Alain

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quick question for you guys when using 2 subs with a 2X4 balanced, do you use both input and set the minidsp in stereo or just use 1 input leave it in mono and let the minidsp act as the splitter for both sub ?

Alain

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4054 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post
Quick question for you guys when using 2 subs with a 2X4 balanced, do you use both input and set the minidsp in stereo or just use 1 input leave it in mono and let the minidsp act as the splitter for both sub ?

Alain
Depends on whether or not your AVR/Pre-pro can calibrate 2 subs individually or not (i.e. XT32 + SubEQ HT).

If it can, use both inputs...if it can't, you can just use one.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post

Alain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Depends on whether or not your AVR/Pre-pro can calibrate 2 subs individually or not (i.e. XT32 + SubEQ HT).

If it can, use both inputs...if it can't, you can just use one.
If using an AVR with SubEQ HT, I question whether the 2x4 is even needed. What is the 2x4 doing that Audyssey XT32 can't do?

However, if you don't have XT32, I recommend using the 4-Way Advanced plug-in and only one of the 2x4's inputs. You can see how I did it by reading the guide linked in my sig.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
If using an AVR with SubEQ HT, I question whether the 2x4 is even needed. What is the 2x4 doing that Audyssey XT32 can't do?

However, if you don't have XT32, I recommend using the 4-Way Advanced plug-in and only one of the 2x4's inputs. You can see how I did it by reading the guide linked in my sig.

Well i am using the 2X4 because i needed to add a HPF to my 2 subwoofer which are vented. I purchased the 2X4 advanced21 plugin to go with it. My avr is Anthem MRX300 which uses ARC for EQ. Came across your previous guide on minidsp website and figured i could follow your guide prior to run ARC

In your new guide version 1.2 you state to connect a single output cable from the AVR's Sub1 to the input 1 connection on the minidsp but if using the 2 way advanced plu-in then to use a Y-cable to input the single subwoofer signal to both sides of the 2X4 so should i understand that iether way i need to use a Y connection to connect the single output of my AVR to both input of the 2X4 ??

Alain

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hopefully you guys can help me pick a model. i have a sanway fp1400 that is going to be running 2 hzhorns . i also have an emotiva xpa3 and a ipr300 that will be running my l and r 1099s with the new diysoundgroups mbms. the avr is a yamaha rxa820. should i run 2 of the 2x4s or 1 of the bigger ones
Old 11-17-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
In your guide, you give instructions for a hooking wires from a power supply? The balanced 2x4 seems to come with a power supply - why can't you use that or can you?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked: 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
In your guide, you give instructions for a hooking wires from a power supply? The balanced 2x4 seems to come with a power supply - why can't you use that or can you?
They don't automatically come with a power supply, you can buy one with the unit from miniDSP or use your own.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure, use it. Mine are an older version that just had a Phoenix connector for power. The new ones have a standard-size jack as well as an adapter.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure, use it. Mine are an older version that just had a Phoenix connector for power. The new ones have a standard-size jack as well as an adapter.
Thanks for helping me. Another question please. I found this product - a female RCA to mini-phoenix contact http://www.williamssound.com/catalog/wca-105

Picture:

The manufacturer confirmed that the "S" and "-" are bridged together. So the ground/wiring should be fine.

What I am wondering is if phoenix contacts are standard size/fittings and these adapters should just snapped into the MiniDSP phoenix inputs/outputs - I would hate to order a MiniDSP and these connections and find out they do not fit into it. It is the same pale green but the picture makes it looks like they are more spaced out than the openings on the MiniDSP.

Do you know - should it just snapped into the MiniDSP phoenix inputs/outputs?

Last edited by checker9; 11-18-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
Do not buy the unbalanced miniDSP 2x4 unless the power amp you're using for the sub(s) has an input sensitivity spec (input voltage required for full output power) of 0.9 Volts RMS or less. Very few pro amps meet this requirement. The maximum output voltage of the unbalanced miniDSP is 0.9 Volts RMS, regardless of the setting of its input sensitivity jumper (0.9 vs. 2.0 Volts). In the former case, it will produce a maximum of 0.9 Volts RMS output for an input voltage of 0.9 Volts RMS. In the latter case, it will produce a maximum output voltage of 0.9 Volts RMS for an input of 2.0 Volts RMS. In this latter case, it is acting as a 7 dB attenuator in the signal path (0.9 Volts RMS out for 2.0 Volts RMS in).
Wish I had saw this 2 days ago... D: I will play with it. May end up giving it to my dad as an xmas gift xD

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I need to order a balanced MiniDsp 2x4 sk that I can add a hpf to my subs, but, I seriously hate the idea of having to hack up a cable as I have nerve damage in my fingers and that makes working on stuff like this tough. Can anyone tell me if there are existing premade cables that you could buy so as to not have to hack up a cable? Connection will be to an older Yamaha AVR andan iNuke3000
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4054 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
I need to order a balanced MiniDsp 2x4 sk that I can add a hpf to my subs, but, I seriously hate the idea of having to hack up a cable as I have nerve damage in my fingers and that makes working on stuff like this tough. Can anyone tell me if there are existing premade cables that you could buy so as to not have to hack up a cable? Connection will be to an older Yamaha AVR andan iNuke3000
Take a look at the post two above yours.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
MiniDSP

Adorama has the wca-105 listed above at $15 each (25% off) right now. An expensive option but a viable one if you can't or don't want to diy your own adapters.

Best,
- C.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for helping me. Another question please. I found this product - a female RCA to mini-phoenix contact http://www.williamssound.com/catalog/wca-105

Picture:

The manufacturer confirmed that the "S" and "-" are bridged together. So the ground/wiring should be fine.

What I am wondering is if phoenix contacts are standard size/fittings and these adapters should just snapped into the MiniDSP phoenix inputs/outputs - I would hate to order a MiniDSP and these connections and find out they do not fit into it. It is the same pale green but the picture makes it looks like they are more spaced out than the openings on the MiniDSP.

Do you know - should it just snapped into the MiniDSP phoenix inputs/outputs?
I don't know but I suspect it won't work. Even if the pins fit the body looks too wide.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
Old 11-20-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know but I suspect it won't work. Even if the pins fit the body looks too wide.

Thanks. Last night, I got reply from MiniDSP about this. MiniDSP stated the same thing - they said it looked like 3.5mm pitch and the MiniDSP housing needs a 5.01mm pitch. I think I might go the unbalanced 2X4 route.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. Last night, I got reply from MiniDSP about this. MiniDSP stated the same thing - they said it looked like 3.5mm pitch and the MiniDSP housing needs a 5.01mm pitch. I think I might go the unbalanced 2X4 route.
I don't get it. What is your reluctance to cutting the cable and inserting the stripped wire ends? It is a very simple process.
DS-21 likes this.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't get it. What is your reluctance to cutting the cable and inserting the stripped wire ends? It is a very simple process.
I tried cutting up some old RCA cables, and the ground line where just a few slivers of line, and the core was not many strands either. It did not seem like that cable would work. I would not want to go through a trial and error of a bunch of cables to find one.

If someone would list some known cables that would work that would be great. Also, what is wrong with the balanced version. My subwoofer manufacturer confirmed that 0.9Vrms could power it to maximum output I would just need to adjust gain accordingly and/or use Y adapter etc.
Mixdoctor likes this.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I tried cutting up some old RCA cables, and the ground line where just a few slivers of line, and the core was not many strands either. It did not seem like that cable would work. I would not want to go through a trial and error of a bunch of cables to find one.

If someone would list some known cables that would work that would be great. Also, what is wrong with the balanced version. My subwoofer manufacturer confirmed that 0.9Vrms could power it to maximum output I would just need to adjust gain accordingly and/or use Y adapter etc.
Your previous attempts was probably with some low grade cable that they use on the mass produced cables. Get some good shielded microphone cable and build what you need:
You will need a few feet of this:
https://www.parts-express.com/mogami...1-ft--103-1012
Or this, it has larger size wire so eaiser to strip, but more $$ and a harder to deal with braided shield:
https://www.parts-express.com/belden...per---102-1250

And some of these:
https://www.parts-express.com/rca-ma...ector--090-102
For a no soldering simple build. Can probably build custom cables for your need for less than $20 and will be good.

Or if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, you can add solder on RCA's at the end of the cable.

Either option you can make custom length cables that use quality reasonable gage wire

Another option for wire, probably the eaisest to work with:
https://www.parts-express.com/belden...-usa--102-1262 But you have to buy 100'

Last edited by BSHuff; 11-20-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added wire options
Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are confusing me. You ask what is wrong with the balanced 2x4, when in your last post you said you were considering purchasing the unbalanced one. And you say you cut up a RCA cable, when you should have been cutting up a balanced XLR cable. There is a selection of inexpensive balanced cables on Monoprice.com that work perfectly well. And the balanced 2x4 is the better choice in my opinion because it offers more output voltage flexibility.

BTW, the "slivers of wire" you mention is what is called the "drain wire". Even on balanced cables, there is usually a drain wire mixed in with the braided shield, which in combination provide the ground connection. I usually separate the drain wire from the braided shield, twist the several strands together, and insert them in the ground connection on the Phoenix block. Let me know if you would like a link to a post with pictures of the procedure.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 11-20-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHuff View Post
Your previous attempts was probably with some low grade cable that they use on the mass produced cables. Get some good shielded microphone cable and build what you need:
You will need a few feet of this:
https://www.parts-express.com/mogami...1-ft--103-1012
Or this, it has larger size wire so eaiser to strip, but more $$ and a harder to deal with braided shield:
https://www.parts-express.com/belden...per---102-1250

And some of these:
https://www.parts-express.com/rca-ma...ector--090-102
For a no soldering simple build. Can probably build custom cables for your need for less than $20 and will be good.

Or if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, you can add solder on RCA's at the end of the cable.

Either option you can make custom length cables that use quality reasonable gage wire

Another option for wire, probably the eaisest to work with:
https://www.parts-express.com/belden...-usa--102-1262 But you have to buy 100'
Thanks. How would you wire the RCA screw adapters with the 3 wires?

Last edited by checker9; 11-20-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Thanks. How would wire the RCA to screw adapters with the 3 wires?
I would use the Red as + (Center conductor RCA) and Black as - (assuming the cable as red/black, exchange color as necessary per what color is in your cable). Connect the bare shield drain wire to the "S" on the MiniDSP. On the RCA end, just use the red/black and trim back the shield/drain wire. The shield wire is there to reject any interference that gets induced on the cable. With a shield drain wire, I only connect to a single end. You can create ground loop and other issues (like hums) if you terminate the shield at both ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement