MiniDSP - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 173Likes

post #3691 of 3711 Old 06-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
On advantage of an outboard processor like the 88A is that it makes you processor-agnostic. As long as you have the features in the processor you need, and the right number of outboard amplification channels, whether you are using the 8802A or the 7702 becomes much less important.
This is what i suspected as I have read here on the forum that there is not a big difference (the law of diminishing returns) SQ wise between the 7702MKII and 8802A. It seems from what I have read that the difference with the Dirac would be larger than the difference between these two processors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3711 Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 4993 Post(s)
Liked: 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
This is what i suspected as I have read here on the forum that there is not a big difference (the law of diminishing returns) SQ wise between the 7702MKII and 8802A. It seems from what I have read that the difference with the Dirac would be larger than the difference between these two processors.
If both processors were running Dirac Live room correction using the same power amps and speakers, you would be hard pressed to hear a sonic difference, IMO.
post #3693 of 3711 Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If both processors were running Dirac Live room correction using the same power amps and speakers, you would be hard pressed to hear a sonic difference, IMO.
I will get to the other thread but I don't have time for the next couple of weeks to read through a gazillion posts so my question is can I set 15Hz HPF filters for all channels and boost the bass in all channels to my hearts content while still enjoying the benefits of Dirac?

post #3694 of 3711 Old 06-24-2016, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
One advantage of an outboard processor like the 88A is that it makes you processor-agnostic. As long as you have the features in the processor you need, and the right number of outboard amplification channels, whether you are using the 8802A or the 7702 becomes much less important.
Can the 88a function as a preamp if your only source was a PC, or something like an Oppo BDP-105? Assuming that you have outboard amplification/dsp.?
post #3695 of 3711 Old 06-24-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
Can the 88a function as a preamp if your only source was a PC, or something like an Oppo BDP-105? Assuming that you have outboard amplification/dsp.?
The recent upgrade to the 88A bass management allows it to function as a preamp, although it will be missing many of the features of a true preamp.
post #3696 of 3711 Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I will get to the other thread but I don't have time for the next couple of weeks to read through a gazillion posts so my question is can I set 15Hz HPF filters for all channels and boost the bass in all channels to my hearts content while still enjoying the benefits of Dirac?
Setting the HPF is not an issue. Boost is limited to 9dB, so if that fits within your definition of boosting to your hearts content, then yes.
post #3697 of 3711 Old 06-27-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I would need absolutely no convincing at all however my pocket book tells me another story LOL! I am already well past my budget with my new speakers that have yet to arrive so this is where I will have to draw the line at the $549 level UNLESS I sell my 8802A and purchase the 7702MKII instead, know that's a thought hmmmmm.
Couldn't you shoot even lower on the prepro line?

Just get the lowest you can. Any cheap avr with the number of channels you need

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
post #3698 of 3711 Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
Couldn't you shoot even lower on the prepro line?

Just get the lowest you can. Any cheap avr with the number of channels you need

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
A receiver based pre-amp/processor is a total waste of not only wall power but the internal amps as well as i already have amplifiers and I wouldn't want to drop any lower in the line than that. Still not sure what I am going to do yet.

post #3699 of 3711 Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
A receiver based pre-amp/processor is a total waste of not only wall power but the internal amps as well as i already have amplifiers and I wouldn't want to drop any lower in the line than that. Still not sure what I am going to do yet.
So you'd rather pay more to have the amps removed and otherwise get the same thing?
post #3700 of 3711 Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
So you'd rather pay more to have the amps removed and otherwise get the same thing?
I would rather save wall power which I pay for and have XLR connections since I own and use all MIT XLR cables.

post #3701 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
I would rather save wall power which I pay for
Do you have any data to support your contention that high-voltage XLR outputs require less power than idling amps and lower-voltage RCA outputs?

Quote:
I own and use all MIT XLR cables.
I'm sorry.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3702 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 283
By the way, if anyone is considering the 2x4 advanced plugin, it should be noted that the already-low maximum delay of 7.5 msec in the 4-way advanced plugin has been reduced slightly to 7.2 msec in the 2x4 advanced plugin. See video below. The documentation of this plugin says 7.5 msec, so that is apparently wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq05...tu.be&t=22m35s

Edit: If the video appears to hang, just manually drag the slider to 22:35 elapsed time.

Last edited by andyc56; 06-29-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #3703 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Curious why they would do that, as is I need more than the 7.5 in the advanced 21 as it is. What would be the reasoning forn keeping it that low?
post #3704 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Curious why they would do that, as is I need more than the 7.5 in the advanced 21 as it is. What would be the reasoning forn keeping it that low?
Maybe they are short of memory or processing power. The 2x4 advanced has an input matrix that the other plugins for the 2x4 don't have. An additional restriction with the 2x4 advanced is that there is a maximum of 5 biquads per channel rather than the 6 of the 4-way.
post #3705 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Do you have any data to support your contention that high-voltage XLR outputs require less power than idling amps and lower-voltage RCA outputs?

I'm sorry.
Bottom line is I plugged in a meter to measure the wattage draw from each as I have an A/V receiver that I use whenever I am waiting for whatever newer pre-amp/pro i am waiting for arrives and the A/V receiver with the built in amps draws FAR more wattage! It was noticed in my electric bill as it had shot up noticeably during that month that the receiver was in use so that's why i took the meter to it as that's the only change and my suspicion was correct, soon as my pre-amp pro arrived my bill went back down to normal, is that convincing enough for you (as if it matters)? Anyways that's enough of that. As far as cables go in any forum it's a stupid and wasted dialogue to get into(for me and quite a few others), I can get things at dealer cost so it saves me a lot of money so even if I didn't think it made a difference sonically then I could sell it for a profit anyways so, for me, i am a winner either way. It's interesting though because when I do read people getting into these conversations about wire and cable I send them a PM and, for them they believe that they do hear better sound quality with certain higher end cables over others and for whoever thinks they do whether there actually is or not is nobody else s business and they do not have to justify it to anyone, period.

post #3706 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Bottom line is I plugged in a meter to measure the wattage draw from each as I have an A/V receiver that I use whenever I am waiting for whatever newer pre-amp/pro i am waiting for arrives and the A/V receiver with the built in amps draws FAR more wattage! It was noticed in my electric bill as it had shot up noticeably during that month that the receiver was in use so that's why i took the meter to it as that's the only change and my suspicion was correct, soon as my pre-amp pro arrived my bill went back down to normal, is that convincing enough for you (as if it matters)? Anyways that's enough of that. As far as cables go in any forum it's a stupid and wasted dialogue to get into(for me and quite a few others), I can get things at dealer cost so it saves me a lot of money so even if I didn't think it made a difference sonically then I could sell it for a profit anyways so, for me, i am a winner either way. It's interesting though because when I do read people getting into these conversations about wire and cable I send them a PM and, for them they believe that they do hear better sound quality with certain higher end cables over others and for whoever thinks they do whether there actually is or not is nobody else s business and they do not have to justify it to anyone, period.
SO what you are saying we both have the same car "BUT" yours is red and mines white BUT yours is better right ?

No difference between Balanced & SE! Unless your going like 100 plus feet.

Jason

Last edited by dashpuppy; 06-29-2016 at 08:16 PM.
post #3707 of 3711 Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
SO what you are saying we both have the same car "BUT" yours is red and mines white BUT yours is better right ?

No difference between Balanced & SE! Unless your going like 100 plus feet.
Dude-wasted and pointless conversation just like the last guy, get back on point to the thread which is miniDSP not cables or balanced vs unbalanced.
Alan P and Soupy1970 like this.

post #3708 of 3711 Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Dude-wasted and pointless conversation just like the last guy, get back on point to the thread which is miniDSP not cables or balanced vs unbalanced.
+1
post #3709 of 3711 Old 07-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Dude, every post in this thread you have posted has been a waste. Talk about calling the kettle black hey !

I put a meter on my amp because I want to consume power /fail !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason
post #3710 of 3711 Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
Dude, every post in this thread you have posted has been a waste. Talk about calling the kettle black hey !

I put a meter on my amp because I want to consume power /fail !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was answering the last persons question that HE brought up not me. Get OFF IT and back on topic, Don't try and add fuel to keep something going that doesn't belong here, be a man and take the high road. Look at yourself in the mirror objectively if you can and be honest with yourself and admit that this post you created is the waste.Again, get back on topic.
dashpuppy likes this.

post #3711 of 3711 Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Bottom line is I plugged in a meter to measure the wattage draw from each as I have an A/V receiver that I use whenever I am waiting for whatever newer pre-amp/pro i am waiting for arrives and the A/V receiver with the built in amps draws FAR more wattage!
Even taking your assertion at face value, the above text is an example of the slipshod reasoning one generally expects from wire-worshipper types.

You compared an unnamed older AVR to"whatever newer pre-amp/pro." Anyone thoughtful will instantly recognize that as a useless and meaningless comparison. What would actually be interesting is numbers to show comparative in-use energy efficiency of ampless AVR and amp'ed AVR from the same generation, used as a pre-pro. For example Anthem MRX720/1120 vs. AVM60, Yamaha 5100 vs. 3050, Denon 7200 vs. Marantz 8802, etc.

I don't know the answer there (are they materially different in terms of energy efficiency or not?) but my hunch is that the differences are very minor at best.
dashpuppy likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 07-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page