Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #3901 of 3928 Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I'm about to order a pair of balanced 2x4 units. On the MiniDSP site they offer the option of including a power supply, but since I'm in Canada and ordering from Solen.ca, I don't have that option. Based on what I've read in this thread and elsewhere, it seems that for the balanced unit I'm looking for a 12VDC 150mA power supply. Is there anything else I should be looking for? The MiniDSP devteam stated on their site that "12VDC 5A is more than enough and will work perfectly fine. The 150mA is only a recommendation for the minimum. Higher amperage is better." I assume that's legit, as long as I maintain 12VDC?

I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of setting this up just to have a poorly selected power supply introduce noise or damage the unit.

I think I have also seen some units with an actual power socket, and some with the terminal block type. Does anyone have any details on what size the plug should be? I've seen barrel sizes around 5.5 x 2.1 mm; 5.5 x 2.5 mm; and the smaller 3.5 x 1.8 commonly.

EDIT: I just had a reply from Solen (very quick, actually), and they recommend this power supply. I don't mind spending $16 on it if it looks like it will last without issue. Thoughts? I remember reading a bunch about having protection built into the PSU being important, and it looks like theirs has it.

Last edited by OJ Bartley; 06-02-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3928 Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I didn't see the power supply option at the miniDSP site for the 2x4. Madisound still has it for now. I think most people are just using old phone chargers since a lot of us have a few laying around collecting dust. I would have gotten the PS had Partsexpress had the option.
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #3903 of 3928 Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered the recommended ones from Solen, just to give myself a little more assurance that they won't go poof.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

post #3904 of 3928 Old 06-02-2017, 03:14 PM

I'm going to use a high joulel surge suppression power strip for all my electronics. Got a dual USB slot plugin fast charger for my old Samsung phone. Glad we have options
post #3905 of 3928 Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So going back to my question on the previous page, I have attempted to get a response on the MiniDSP forums to no avail.

I am looking at utilizing a MiniDSP 8x8 with the DA-FP. The DA-FP provides S/PDIF and TOSLINK inputs, which is not really a huge thing to me, though it does mean for critical music listening I can bypass the redundant DAC on my Marantz SR5010 and simply run TOSLINK in from my ASUS Xonar STX. One less conversion in the signal chain can't hurt.

The main reason I want to use the DA-FP with the 8x8 is that it also provides 2 XLR analog outputs, which would be perfect for adding subwoofer control.

Looking at the product data sheet for the DA-FP it seems to suggest it is compatible with the 2x8, 8x8, and MiniSHARC platforms. I have attached the DA-FP datasheet.

However, what has me concerned is this question posed on the MiniDSP FAQ page: http://support.minidsp.com/customer/...-kit-and-da-fp

If this issue was a few years back, I would have thought they fixed the problem, since the DA-FP datasheet still says it is compatible with the 2x8, but the date on the question is April 2017. If the DA-FP has issues with the 2x8, does it also have issues with the 8x8?

If it is compatible, I am assuming I would need to use the 10x10 plugin in order to get the extra input/output options in the software? However, when watching videos showing the 10x10 plugin, the extra outputs are labeled as 'Digital Output 1 and 2'. I assume this is because the 10x10 HD hardware uses the DIGI-FP which has S/PDIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU outputs instead of the XLR analog on the DA-FP. When the DA-FP is used, are these switchable to 'XLR' or 'Analog Outputs'?

Does anyone here have experience with this combination or any thoughts at all?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Product Brief-DA-FP.pdf (359.2 KB, 9 views)
post #3906 of 3928 Old 06-08-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewp29 View Post
So going back to my question on the previous page, I have attempted to get a response on the MiniDSP forums to no avail.

I am looking at utilizing a MiniDSP 8x8 with the DA-FP. The DA-FP provides S/PDIF and TOSLINK inputs, which is not really a huge thing to me, though it does mean for critical music listening I can bypass the redundant DAC on my Marantz SR5010 and simply run TOSLINK in from my ASUS Xonar STX. One less conversion in the signal chain can't hurt.

The main reason I want to use the DA-FP with the 8x8 is that it also provides 2 XLR analog outputs, which would be perfect for adding subwoofer control.

Looking at the product data sheet for the DA-FP it seems to suggest it is compatible with the 2x8, 8x8, and MiniSHARC platforms. I have attached the DA-FP datasheet.

However, what has me concerned is this question posed on the MiniDSP FAQ page: http://support.minidsp.com/customer/...-kit-and-da-fp

If this issue was a few years back, I would have thought they fixed the problem, since the DA-FP datasheet still says it is compatible with the 2x8, but the date on the question is April 2017. If the DA-FP has issues with the 2x8, does it also have issues with the 8x8?

If it is compatible, I am assuming I would need to use the 10x10 plugin in order to get the extra input/output options in the software? However, when watching videos showing the 10x10 plugin, the extra outputs are labeled as 'Digital Output 1 and 2'. I assume this is because the 10x10 HD hardware uses the DIGI-FP which has S/PDIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU outputs instead of the XLR analog on the DA-FP. When the DA-FP is used, are these switchable to 'XLR' or 'Analog Outputs'?

Does anyone here have experience with this combination or any thoughts at all?
Try posting your question over here

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/index
post #3907 of 3928 Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Try posting your question over here

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/index
Thanks for letting me know I am not just talking to myself!

I actually already have a thread on the official MiniDSP forums, here: https://www.minidsp.com/forum/hardwa...-8x8-and-an-fp

I initially was interested in using the AN-FP, based on the I/O expansion possibilities, but they apparently never got around to adding the functionality into the 8x8 firmware. After they shot that idea down, I decided the DA-FP would also work for what I am thinking, and it adds some extra digital input options as well. If you can't tell by a couple of the posts, I am pretty frustrated with their lack of responsiveness on the forums. This is a common opinion in a lot of the postings. Some of the questions go unanswered entirely. It's looking more and more with each passing day like they are going to ignore my question until I just go away.

I realize this combination is not widely used, but it baffles me as to why it is not more common. If I was doing 7.1 channel DSP, the ability to have 2 more analog outputs would allow a 7.3 set-up, which is not rare at all. As active DSP crossover networks become more accepted by the stuff shirted audio snobs (an uphill battle I know), more and more people will be looking at using their existing gear with a unit that will allow future expansion possibilities. Most of these people are using amplifiers with analog I/O, not pro gear set up for digital input. Besides, most pro amplifiers with digital I/O are starting to incorporate DSP into the amps themselves, and will have no use for a MiniDSP type unit.

It just seems to me that MiniDSP should be working on expanding their analog I/O line-up a bit more.

But I digress, I am typing too much again...
post #3908 of 3928 Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most people wont respond if they cant help. Honestly, I think their silence at miniDSP should give you your answer. I agree their interface is clunky and the way they come off is somewhat different at times. I chalk it up to cultural differences and different way of doing business.

I grasp what your trying to do, but cant give you any help in that regard.
post #3909 of 3928 Old 06-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Considering they state in the DA-FP product brochure that it is compatible with the 2x8 and 8x8 platforms, then in the FAQ an actual buyer states that the 2x8 is not compatible with the DA-FP is worrisome on all accounts, and should be reason enough for them to give a response one way or the other.

All I need is a 'Yes, it is compatible, and the plugin will handle routing in the same manner as the other analog outputs' and I'll push the PayPal transaction through. It shouldn't be that difficult.

If the answer is 'No, our best attempts to incorporate the DA-FP into the 8x8 firmware and 10x10 plugin have not been successful. Our apologies for having incorrect information in our product brochure.' then I will get a balanced 2x4 to go along with the 8x8 and figure out how to power them both with one power supply. I have enough power cords to strangle an elephant already!

It sucks that they dance around things instead of shooting straight.

Silence is not an acceptable answer, just ask my girlfriend!
post #3910 of 3928 Old 06-10-2017, 04:41 PM

I bought two miniDSP 2x4 units. Can you use the same mini 2x4 app for both units to set them up?
post #3911 of 3928 Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7313 Post(s)
Liked: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hanna View Post
I bought two miniDSP 2x4 units. Can you use the same mini 2x4 app for both units to set them up?
Yes, the plug-in is not tied to any specific serial number.
post #3912 of 3928 Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Awesome! I'll buy the 3-4 way advaced plugin while I'm at it.
post #3913 of 3928 Old 06-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 190
If I get a miniDSP 10x10, do i need to get the Phoenix to Male XLR to be able to use it with amps like the SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT?

Do they send 10 Phoenix to Male XLR cables? Or? I'm confused on that...

Thanks!
post #3914 of 3928 Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to confirm which plugin to use for the MiniDSP 2x4 (balanced) for my setup. Receiver with 2 LFE outputs will be fed in some manner to the MiniDSP which will be distributed to 2 front sealed subs that will be EQ'ed, and also to a Buttkicker LFE setup.

I've read the guide by @AustinJerry (thank you for that!) and I think what I will want to do is use one of the AVR's outputs for both subs into a single MiniDSP input. If I configure all of my EQ to fix nulls, set up a house curve, and fine tune distance before running Audyssey... does that mean I can then use the second sub out (directly to the BK amp, bypassing the MiniDSP) for the Buttkickers and theoretically have less processing applied to them by the AVR? (@asarose247 is this how you have yours set up?)

The plugin recommended in the guide (and recently to Cichlid109) is the 4 way advanced, so my very long winded question is: is this still the best plugin for my application? My unit came with a coupon code for a free plugin, so I want to make sure I use it on the right one.

I think I'll have to run Audyssey before enabling the 2nd sub out and connecting the Buttkickers, because unless I'm mistaken, Audyssey would attempt to calibrate it and not have any audible feedback to work with, which I'm assuming would be bad.
post #3915 of 3928 Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
If I get a miniDSP 10x10, do i need to get the Phoenix to Male XLR to be able to use it with amps like the SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT?

Do they send 10 Phoenix to Male XLR cables? Or? I'm confused on that...

Thanks!
cut the end of the xlr and put into phoenix
post #3916 of 3928 Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
I've read the guide by @AustinJerry (thank you for that!) and I think what I will want to do is use one of the AVR's outputs for both subs into a single MiniDSP input. If I configure all of my EQ to fix nulls, set up a house curve, and fine tune distance before running Audyssey... does that mean I can then use the second sub out (directly to the BK amp, bypassing the MiniDSP) for the Buttkickers and theoretically have less processing applied to them by the AVR? (@asarose247 is this how you have yours set up?)
Do not apply the house curve before running Audyssey because it will try to flatten out your house curve.

You can effectively reverse Audyssey's EQ on the subwoofer output in the MiniDSP for the buttkickers if you want. You'd just connect the output from the MiniDSP to your USB audio interface and sweep the system with REW (HDMI in to your receiver in the LFE channel) and have REW calculate the filters to flatten it out and apply those filters only to the output correlating to your Buttkicker amp.
post #3917 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Do not apply the house curve before running Audyssey because it will try to flatten out your house curve.

You can effectively reverse Audyssey's EQ on the subwoofer output in the MiniDSP for the buttkickers if you want. You'd just connect the output from the MiniDSP to your USB audio interface and sweep the system with REW (HDMI in to your receiver in the LFE channel) and have REW calculate the filters to flatten it out and apply those filters only to the output correlating to your Buttkicker amp.
Thanks Stereodude! I never would have thought of reversing it like that, that's a great idea.

So I'll order the 4 way advanced and start playing around, see what else I can get confused with.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #3918 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, you have two subs and one or more buttkickers, and you want to EQ the subs but not the buttkickers. Is this right? If so, you could put each sub on a separate channel of the miniDSP, and the buttkicker(s) on other channel(s). Then, when you figure out your EQ for the subs using REW, you could load the same biquad coefficient file into both individual sub channels so they get the same EQ. The miniDSP with 4-way plugin has shared EQ and individual channel EQ. By using only the individual channel EQ for the subs, but having the same coefficients in both sub channels, you can avoid having unwanted EQ on the buttkicker(s) (because there is no shared EQ using this method).

Last edited by andyc56; Yesterday at 04:41 PM.
post #3919 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
If I understand you correctly, you have two subs and one or more buttkickers, and you want to EQ the subs but not the buttkickers. Is this right? If so, you could put each sub on a separate channel of the miniDSP, and the buttkicker(s) on other channel(s). Then, when you figure out your EQ for the subs using REW, you could load the same biquad coefficient file into both individual sub channels so they get the same EQ. The miniDSP with 4-way plugin has shared EQ and individual channel EQ. By using only the individual channel EQ for the subs, but having the same coefficients in both sub channels, you can avoid having unwanted EQ on the buttkicker(s) (because there is no shared EQ using this method).
That's exactly it Andy, thanks. So in this case, would it be best to use a single LFE out with a y-splitter, or to keep the BK's using their own LFE out?

post #3920 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quote:
So in this case, would it be best to use a single LFE out with a y-splitter, or to keep the BK's using their own LFE out?
I don't think that will work. Audyssey will not detect the buttkickers when trying to calibrate and will get hung up. If you try to turn the 2nd LFE output on afterward, doesn't changing the speaker configuration after running Audyssey cause it to be disabled?
post #3921 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's exactly it Andy, thanks. So in this case, would it be best to use a single LFE out with a y-splitter, or to keep the BK's using their own LFE out?
Unless you're using more than 1 miniDSP box, you shouldn't need a y splitter. The 4-way plugin leaves 1 input unused and routes the other to all 4 outputs internally, after it undergoes a shared EQ (which in this case you wouldn't use).

Thinking about this a bit more, I think you may still need to do what Stereodude suggested to the BK channel in order to undo what Audyssey does to the sub out. Kind of a pain.
post #3922 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

I use the Advanced 2-way plugin in mine. Right now I'm only 1 input and 1 output though. I've only got 1 sub amp and nothing else on the LFE chain though.
post #3923 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I use the Advanced 2-way plugin in mine. Right now I'm only 1 input and 1 output though. I've only got 1 sub amp and nothing else on the LFE chain though.
That might be a better idea - more flexibility for this application.
post #3924 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

I think @asarose247 has a setup very similar to what I want to do, and I just noticed my previous shout out to him didn't work due to unfortunate brackets. Lol.

It sounds ds like there are a few ways to make things work so I'm not TOO worried about it.

post #3925 of 3928 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 578
My X5200 has 2 sub outs.
Sub 1 feeds the 2x4HD, and it's 4 outputs run each to the inputs of my 2 inukes and > 4 subs . . .

Sub 2 runs thru a BASH 300 for my 2 Clark shakers.

after tooling around with REW for each sub, then run XT32 for subs . .

then turn the BASH 300 for the shakers and use the AVR gain for that.

LPH is 120 or 150, iirc.

HTH

non balanced unit, straight outta da box, there's been a few up dates since last Feb '16
OJ Bartley likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #3926 of 3928 Old Today, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
My X5200 has 2 sub outs.
Sub 1 feeds the 2x4HD, and it's 4 outputs run each to the inputs of my 2 inukes and > 4 subs . . .

Sub 2 runs thru a BASH 300 for my 2 Clark shakers.

after tooling around with REW for each sub, then run XT32 for subs . .

then turn the BASH 300 for the shakers and use the AVR gain for that.
How do you get around Audyssey not hearing the shakers when the 2nd sub out is enabled when you run XT32?
andyc56 likes this.
post #3927 of 3928 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 578
2nd output to the BASH, ...

when running XT32, I simply turn the BASH OFF,

no interference,

the BASH has a gain, built in HPF (can be modded with soldering . .) phase

Not expecting much fine tuning for shakers . .

but willing to listen and learn

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #3928 of 3928 Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
2nd output to the BASH, ...

when running XT32, I simply turn the BASH OFF,

no interference,

the BASH has a gain, built in HPF (can be modded with soldering . .) phase

Not expecting much fine tuning for shakers . .

but willing to listen and learn
You turn the amp off, or you turn the 2nd output off in the speaker setup? I'm guessing you mean the latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs