post #2281 of 2499 Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Sounds like a possible setup problem. My Denon 4311 also has dual independent sub outputs and I'm able to send test tones to all my subs via the MiniDSP with the 4-Way Advanced plug-in.

Yup. The AVR should be configured as single-sub when using the four-way advanced miniDSP plugin. Then one cable connects the AVR sub out to the miniDSP in. If the AVR is configured for two subs, Audyssey will try to ping both of them, and with the miniDSP 4-way plugin, only one input is active and it will ignore the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2499 Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

Is it normal to get what sounds like heavy 'white noise' buzzing if you turn the Mini's output channels over -30? I have my RCA's jumped from - to S and out to 4 XLRs. I've played with Onkyo's sub level, EP4K's input attenuators (all the way up), I've played with all the settings within the Mini's software. If I boost AVR's sub channel and put a "High-Shelf filter" under 'Parametric EQ Channel 1' I gain some volume. Something is way off. I'm really trying to keep a cool head here. My subs might as well be turned off at this point. mad.gif

What am I missing here? Help frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Are you using the .9v or 2.0v jumper settings? If you are using the 0.9v jumper setting then you may very well not be putting out enough voltage to drive your EP4000 to its full strength.

I had them jumped. I finally figured out the source of the problem! After searching around the web I ran into this problem and figured I'd try swapping power supplies and moving it away from the power strip I had it hooked up to. It turns out to only make that "white noise" when hooked up to USB. With the noise gone I can finally bump the Mini gains up were they should be! I'm going to try my laptop (independent power supply) next in hoops that it's some odd group loop (a know problem) and not a defect in the Mini. I loved the idea of simply opening up the software, syncing and playing in real time. My PC is also my media center. I'm bummed about that!

Outside of all that, I gotta say I'm one happy camper with my sub setup!

I just got done playing "Bassotronics - Curtain Shaker" and my god is it ever WICKED. I'm pressuring EVERTHING now! Doors are violently shacking, my dual monitors are bouncing, plastic bags are pulsating and this is only with 2600 RMS (without fully pushing it). I can't wait to untap the 4000RMS waiting for me when I hook up my other 4 Stereo Integrity HT18 D2's. I'm a happy camper now! eek.gif'

Edit: I traced the USB "white noise" buzzing to the IR shield on the back of my PC's motherboard! All is well now. Again, thanks to those that helped. Now to learn REW lol smile.gif

HD DVD [R.I.P. 02/19/08] :(
Blu-Ray: 900+

post #2283 of 2499 Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

Yup. The AVR should be configured as single-sub when using the four-way advanced miniDSP plugin. Then one cable connects the AVR sub out to the miniDSP in. If the AVR is configured for two subs, Audyssey will try to ping both of them, and with the miniDSP 4-way plugin, only one input is active and it will ignore the other.

I stand corrected. Maybe I have mine setup differently. I have the 4-Way Advanced and can have both subs configured in my AVR. I'll have to pull my rack out sometime and trace the cables.
post #2284 of 2499 Old 04-13-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post

I had them jumped. I finally figured out the source of the problem! After searching around the web I ran into this problem and figured I'd try swapping power supplies and moving it away from the power strip I had it hooked up to. It turns out to only make that "white noise" when hooked up to USB. With the noise gone I can finally bump the Mini gains up were they should be! I'm going to try my laptop (independent power supply) next in hoops that it's some odd group loop (a know problem) and not a defect in the Mini. I loved the idea of simply opening up the software, syncing and playing in real time. My PC is also my media center. I'm bummed about that!

Outside of all that, I gotta say I'm one happy camper with my sub setup!

I just got done playing "Bassotronics - Curtain Shaker" and my god is it ever WICKED. I'm pressuring EVERTHING now! Doors are violently shacking, my dual monitors are bouncing, plastic bags are pulsating and this is only with 2600 RMS (without fully pushing it). I can't wait to untap the 4000RMS waiting for me when I hook up my other 4 Stereo Integrity HT18 D2's. I'm a happy camper now! eek.gif'

Edit: I traced the USB "white noise" buzzing to the IR shield on the back of my PC's motherboard! All is well now. Again, thanks to those that helped. Now to learn REW lol smile.gif

I am just curious as to how you figured out where the "white noise" was coming from? How did you know that it was being caused by the IR shield on the motherboard, and also. How did you fix it?

The reading that I ask is because I have a hum in my EP1500 that powers my mains at the moment, and for the life of me, I can not figure out what to do! I was told that it was most likely the cable box, so I had a tech from my local cable company come out and put a ground rod in, and still the hum persist! Any ideas?
post #2285 of 2499 Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Try one of these Marty

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002E4YI8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397399770&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #2286 of 2499 Old 04-13-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:

I am just curious as to how you figured out where the "white noise" was coming from? How did you know that it was being caused by the IR shield on the motherboard, and also. How did you fix it?

The reading that I ask is because I have a hum in my EP1500 that powers my mains at the moment, and for the life of me, I can not figure out what to do! I was told that it was most likely the cable box, so I had a tech from my local cable company come out and put a ground rod in, and still the hum persist! Any ideas?

He used a separate ground from the house's ground? From the little I've read the problem can often be the separate grounds installed by cable/sat guys....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #2287 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Guys,

I've just jumped onto the MiniDSP band wagon to do some EQing the sub. Got the unbalanced 2x4 (Rev.B) in the following signal chain:

AVR sub pre-out ---> MiniDSP ---> sub amp

I've only got one sub for the time being and ran Audyssey set-up to see what the delay was. Came out to an additional 1ft with everything on bypass.

Will be carrying out an REW measurement of the sub without Audyssey. Plan is to address the peaks by implementing cuts only using the EQ function available in REW, import across to the MiniDSP on the output and then re-measure to confirm. If satisfactory, then run Audyssey to see what the room correction is. Last step is to apply a low shelf filter with a gentle rising slope from 100Hz to 20Hz at about 6dB to taste at the MiniDSP input.

Would like to know if anyone has followed this method and if the results are satisfactory. If not, what are the issues?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2288 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

Guys,

I've just jumped onto the MiniDSP band wagon to do some EQing the sub. Got the unbalanced 2x4 (Rev.B) in the following signal chain:

AVR sub pre-out ---> MiniDSP ---> sub amp

I've only got one sub for the time being and ran Audyssey set-up to see what the delay was. Came out to an additional 1ft with everything on bypass.

Will be carrying out an REW measurement of the sub without Audyssey. Plan is to address the peaks by implementing cuts only using the EQ function available in REW, import across to the MiniDSP on the output and then re-measure to confirm. If satisfactory, then run Audyssey to see what the room correction is. Last step is to apply a low shelf filter with a gentle rising slope from 100Hz to 20Hz at about 6dB to taste at the MiniDSP input.

Would like to know if anyone has followed this method and if the results are satisfactory. If not, what are the issues?

I believe many folks have gotten good results from the MiniDsp! You should have got the balanced version as the unbalanced version might not jive well with your sub amp, especially if it's a pro-amp.
post #2289 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I believe many folks have gotten good results from the MiniDsp! You should have got the balanced version as the unbalanced version might not jive well with your sub amp, especially if it's a pro-amp.
Quote:

Or you can use the unbalanced with a bump box like this one:
http://www.parts-express.com/art-cleanboxpro-stereo-balanced-unbalanced-converter--245-868

Makes level matching easier as well. It goes between the minidsp and the amp. Converts it to balanced and you can control the signal level

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #2290 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

^Guys,

I thought that the 2V input to the unbalanced MiniDPS can be managed with a simple line level attenuation cheaply available from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J226O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24EU3OAH32MB9&coliid=I3SEHI7UWY4ZGO

The AVR that I'm using has its's LFE sub-output a maximum of 1.2Vrms using unbalanced RCA connection.

As far as the output from the MiniDSP to the sub amp, I don't have any pro audio gear that needs an XLR connection (the cable run is very short) and only have unbalanced RCA line level input. The sub I've got on order only requires 0.4Vrms to reach full output.smile.gif

The purpose of getting the MiniDSP is to tackle the sub EQ. My understanding is that vast majority of consumer AVR with LFE output and subs use unbalanced RCA connections. Provided that I've done the homework and matched the input/outputs within the signal chain, the unbalanced MiniDSP is fit for purpose.tongue.gif

I'm sure others will disagree with the above logic and think that balanced is the only way to go, would like understand why. Especially in the signal chain where the source is unbalanced RCA and sink is also unbalanced RCA. Cable run is short, less than 6 ft.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2291 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The purpose of getting the MiniDSP is to tackle the sub EQ. My understanding is that vast majority of consumer AVR with LFE output and subs use unbalanced RCA connections. Provided that I've done the homework and matched the input/outputs within the signal chain, the unbalanced MiniDSP is fit for purpose.tongue.gif.

What is the value of the input sensitivity of your subwoofer's power amp?
post #2292 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

^ Hi andyc56,

The sub amp model I'm going to get is A370PEQ3. According to Brian of Rythmik the sensitivity is 0.3Vrms (not 0.4Vrms as I had previously thought - sorry for the misinformation!) to drive the amp to full power. The question was asked by AVS member dstew100 who wanted to match the MiniDSP to his Rythmik sub and it's in post # 6463 in the Rythmik audio thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread/6450#post_22042992

There is also the ability to parallel connect to A370PEQ via the L + R (would need a Y split from the MiniDSP output) RCA inputs that effectively increases the sensitivity of the amp to 0.15Vrms to reach full power. A great feature I reckon.

I didn't research many other consumer sub amps on the above feature, but increasing the sub amp sensitivity by a parallel connection seems a doable and neater solution to the 0.9Vrms output limitation given by MiniDSP. The sub's amp must be designed to sum the two RCA inputs (or even XLR inputs for the pro amps) for this to work. If sub's amp don't have this feature and more volts are required to reach full output, either increasing the sub gain or the external art cleanbox maybe the work around.

post #2293 of 2499 Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ Hi andyc56,

The sub amp model I'm going to get is A370PEQ3. According to Brian of Rythmik the sensitivity is 0.3Vrms (not 0.4Vrms as I had previously thought - sorry for the misinformation!) to drive the amp to full power..

Ahh, good. The unbalanced miniDSP puts out 0.9 Volts RMS maximum, which is quite low and often trips people up. You should be fine.
post #2294 of 2499 Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 267
An unexpected benefit of my Open DRC. I took it out the the signal chain only to find my two Submersives humming pretty loudly. Put it back in and quiet.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #2295 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

An unexpected benefit of my Open DRC. I took it out the the signal chain only to find my two Submersives humming pretty loudly. Put it back in and quiet.

I wonder how the Open DRC could have any sort of effect on reducing the hum that you experienced? Also, I have been curious...why did you go with the Open DRC instead of the regular 2 by 4 MiniDsp?
post #2296 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have a Open DRC as well, but have yet to use it. I'm now wishing I got the 4x10 instead. I don't know maybe the Open will work fine.......

The reasons I purchased the Open were.....

1) it has actual inputs, not the Phoenix connectors. I wanted to just plug something in and not have to jimmy rig some cables.

2) it came with its own power supply! Imagine that, a unit that you buy and plug in, instead of trying to find the right power supply. I don't even think MDSP recommends a particular type for the 2x4.

3) It has a input VRMS of 8v. I am running a Onkyo 3009 and it is known to have a hot sub out. So I went with the 8v input to avoid clipping.

4) It was also recommended by a few other members.

When I was doing research on the Mini I looked at the 4x10 and it was to expensive at the time. Now that I have recovered from buying all the equipment for my build...I think I want the 4x10. It has all the things I wanted in the Open and then some. Plus it is a more familiar unit on this forum. I feel there is more support for the 4x10 since it uses a similar plugin as the rest of the MDSP line. The Open has it's own plugin and if I need help I might not get it. I'm not sure if one is better then the other as far as EQ ability, but I think just having the support of a common unit is better.

There may be a Open DRC showing up in the classifieds soon if I find it difficult to use. Or maybe I can get help from the few guys that own the Open.

Can anyone comment of the differences between the 4x10 and the Open DRC? As far as EQ functionality.

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...0-build-4.html
post #2297 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 87

opendrc is more powerful solution as it has the horsepower to run 12k tap FIR filters in a convolution engine as opposed to the IIR biquad filters the minidsp uses. Their site has an explanation of the difference here.

The key difference is that FIR allows you to do phase correction, for example using rephase or AcourateDRC

There is a good guide to the sort of thing you can do on the jriver forum. FWIW it can get quite complicated if you go down this road (I run acourate on my PC).

post #2298 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

I read the link about the differences, and kinda grasp what is going on. (I'm still leaning all the EQ jargon)

I will be using the Open to EQ 2 subs, and from what it sounds like....the Open isn't really the tool to do so. It states that the resolution on the Open isn't that good at low frequency's, and this is where I will be using it. It sounds more like a tool for a speaker with multiple drivers?

post #2299 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Now that I read more......I don't think the Open is really intended for sub EQ. I could be wrong though....

post #2300 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 87

Using FIR to correct LF chews up a lot of taps yes. The benefit is that, given the processing power, you can implement almost arbitrarily steep & deep filters. The cost is latency though. If all you are doing is sub eq then the standard minidsp looks a better option.

post #2301 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've been using an OpenDRC on my quad LMS's for some time now it works just fine. smile.gif

Like SeekingNirvana posted above, I also went with this unit for its XLR connections and having the power supply included. I also liked the RF feature it has as you can select 1 of 4 presets on the fly.
post #2302 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Yea I blew my load a little early on the Open.....I do want the 8v input though so the 4x10 seems to be the one.

post #2303 of 2499 Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder how the Open DRC could have any sort of effect on reducing the hum that you experienced? Also, I have been curious...why did you go with the Open DRC instead of the regular 2 by 4 MiniDsp?

XLR in and out. I like having them. Also I have two Submersives and two channels is perfect. I also like the little box cosmetically. It has worked flawless for me. I don't remember exactly but I also think it has a better processor in it? Could be wrong. But those are the reasons smile.gif

N8dogg also went with them for XLR in and out as well. Of course he has numerous with his 20+ subs!

My Setup Thread
post #2304 of 2499 Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

XLR in and out. I like having them. Also I have two Submersives and two channels is perfect. I also like the little box cosmetically. It has worked flawless for me. I don't remember exactly but I also think it has a better processor in it? Could be wrong. But those are the reasons smile.gif

N8dogg also went with them for XLR in and out as well. Of course he has numerous with his 20+ subs!

Did you have any issues with the Open not able to sync?  I've tried everything...............tries to link up, but after several attempts computer doesn't recognize Open.

And I thought I was computer savvy...........:rolleyes:

post #2305 of 2499 Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Did you have any issues with the Open not able to sync?  I've tried everything...............tries to link up, but after several attempts computer doesn't recognize Open.

And I thought I was computer savvy...........rolleyes.gif

Shoot! I know exactly what you are going through as I couldn't get any subwoofer reaction to any changes I made. I thought I had a dud at first. But I promise it is just clicking a button but I forget as it has been awhile now. Let me think on it and it will come to me. Seriously, it's just a click...Report back soon

My Setup Thread
post #2306 of 2499 Old 04-26-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shoot! I know exactly what you are going through as I couldn't get any subwoofer reaction to any changes I made. I thought I had a dud at first. But I promise it is just clicking a button but I forget as it has been awhile now. Let me think on it and it will come to me. Seriously, it's just a click...Report back soon

Thanks..................it's far worst than that!  I can't even initiate downloading filters from REW until the darn thing syncs up....................yeah, click the green circular arrow button which supposedly initiates sync.........NOT! 

No rush, Parts Express delayed my speaker wire for my rear two UXL's...........was supposed to arrive Friday, but delayed until Monday.  I'll wire up Monday evening and try to take measurements with all four.  I was trying to get things ready, but the

proverbial fail!  The Green button is my enemy! 

Here is the error I'm getting

Plug in the board..............

post #2307 of 2499 Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks..................it's far worst than that!  I can't even initiate downloading filters from REW until the darn thing syncs up....................yeah, click the green circular arrow button which supposedly initiates sync.........NOT! 

No rush, Parts Express delayed my speaker wire for my rear two UXL's...........was supposed to arrive Friday, but delayed until Monday.  I'll wire up Monday evening and try to take measurements with all four.  I was trying to get things ready, but the

proverbial fail!  The Green button is my enemy! 

Here is the error I'm getting

Plug in the board..............

Have you tried updating the firmware on the open ? I couldn't get mine to sync either until I updated it.
post #2308 of 2499 Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Double wing. I can see your audio button is muted there. Not the issue though I know. But do you have mac? I do and I had to download an Adobe plugin to make the Open interface work with my computer. Even a windows based may be the same?

My Setup Thread
post #2309 of 2499 Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post

Have you tried updating the firmware on the open ? I couldn't get mine to sync either until I updated it.

Thanks..........

First time out of  box..............downloaded plug-in Thursday.  I would assume plug-in is updated........I'll check.  Sounds like you had the same problem I'm facing...........

Quote:

Double wing. I can see your audio button is muted there. Not the issue though I know. But do you have mac? I do and I had to download an Adobe plugin to make the Open interface work with my computer. Even a windows based may be the same?

That was something I was contemplating.................do I have the correct plug-in for USB cable from computer to Open so two could interface.  That seems to be the real issue. 

post #2310 of 2499 Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks..........

First time out of  box..............downloaded plug-in Thursday.  I would assume plug-in is updated........I'll check.  Sounds like you had the same problem I'm facing...........

That was something I was contemplating.................do I have the correct plug-in for USB cable from computer to Open so two could interface.  That seems to be the real issue.

are you using a mac or pc ? When I downloaded the 2x2 plugin and installed it on my pc it installed all adobe extras itself. The usb cable that came with the open was sufficient for me to connect..... Under the restore tab is the update option. Make sure the software is running before you plug in the open, this was one of my problems too.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page