MiniDSP - Page 78 - AVS Forum
First ... 76  77  78 79  80  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > MiniDSP
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:27 AM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks..........

First time out of  box..............downloaded plug-in Thursday.  I would assume plug-in is updated........I'll check.  Sounds like you had the same problem I'm facing...........

That was something I was contemplating.................do I have the correct plug-in for USB cable from computer to Open so two could interface.  That seems to be the real issue. 

Yes, solve that and bang you're in business!

doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 01:54 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yes, solve that and bang you're in business!

adobeair is installed..............so plug-in should be good to go.  Have an email to Minidsp............USB ports identify all other devices, but not OpenDRC software.

Tried updating.............firmware..........no go...........

unistalled............reinstalled..........no go.........

I'm losing my hair fast...........:D 

Fattykidd's Avatar Fattykidd 02:20 PM 04-27-2014
When you plug in the open does it try to install any drivers ? When I plug mine in it goes through a couple checks in windows and then tells me " my device is ready for use "..... Do you get this ? Do you have another USB cable laying around to try ?
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 02:45 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post

When you plug in the open does it try to install any drivers ? When I plug mine in it goes through a couple checks in windows and then tells me " my device is ready for use "..... Do you get this ? Do you have another USB cable laying around to try ?

Yeah, have used two different cables....no luck. My OS is windows 8 and no, didn't receive prompt to load drivers for open. I'm perplexed as there is not issue with ports as I've checked for all available driver updates and all are good. I'm re-booting computer and will see if that helps. Interesting......

Could have a bricked Open....
Fattykidd's Avatar Fattykidd 02:53 PM 04-27-2014

Step_by_Step_restore_firmware_to_default_miniSHARC_or_OpenDR.pdf 151k .pdf file

I thought I bricked my open when my computer crashed while updating firmware, the minidsp support team sent me this.... have a look and/or wait for them to respond to your service request. 

Might be better to just wait for their response.....
Attached: Step_by_Step_restore_firmware_to_default_miniSHARC_or_OpenDR.pdf (151.1 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 03:55 PM 04-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post

Step_by_Step_restore_firmware_to_default_miniSHARC_or_OpenDR.pdf 151k .pdf file

I thought I bricked my open when my computer crashed while updating firmware, the minidsp support team sent me this.... have a look and/or wait for them to respond to your service request. 

Might be better to just wait for their response.....

Thanks again for resource.................

Used it.........reset, but still same issue...........

Getting code 43 error on Windows, so the issue lies with driver associated with Open Drc-An.............

I've already installed, uninstalled...................installed several times.................

Will have to wait on MiniDSP to see what they have to say about their driver for Windows 8.....................oh, well...........

Once again...........thanks..............

SeekingNirvana's Avatar SeekingNirvana 02:37 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:

Thanks again for resource.................

Used it.........reset, but still same issue...........

Getting code 43 error on Windows, so the issue lies with driver associated with Open Drc-An.............

I've already installed, uninstalled...................installed several times.................

Will have to wait on MiniDSP to see what they have to say about their driver for Windows 8.....................oh, well...........

Once again...........thanks..............

Any luck??
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 10:12 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Any luck??

I'm waiting to hear back from MiniDSP.

Windows 8 is not recognizing USB port from Open.......why, I don't know. I can run REW from same port so it has to be the MiniDSP software.

I have all four subs hooked up but need DSP to elevate <20 hz. Drivers are barely moving and SPL meter is close to 121 db's........and I' not pushing them.......nowhere near xmax.
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:18 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:

I'm waiting to hear back from MiniDSP.

Windows 8 is not recognizing USB port from Open.......why, I don't know. I can run REW from same port so it has to be the MiniDSP software.

I have all four subs hooked up but need DSP to elevate <20 hz. Drivers are barely moving and SPL meter is close to 121 db's........and I' not pushing them.......nowhere near xmax.

I sure hope it gets fixed quick man. I love what the unit does for me. Although the more I go I realize the milder house curve I am preferring. I think it is just room specific. But lots of nice little options. Individual gain, polarity button, mirror the channels to EQ as one, and of course the filters. I have a page bookmarked for having REW suggest to mini dsp the filters. I am gonna try that one next. I got to 112 db down to 8 hz and that was intense! I am not in a concrete bunker though!
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 10:33 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I sure hope it gets fixed quick man. I love what the unit does for me. Although the more I go I realize the milder house curve I am preferring. I think it is just room specific. But lots of nice little options. Individual gain, polarity button, mirror the channels to EQ as one, and of course the filters. I have a page bookmarked for having REW suggest to mini dsp the filters. I am gonna try that one next. I got to 112 db down to 8 hz and that was intense! I am not in a concrete bunker though!

With four UXL's in a sealed, dampen room........I can let'er rip........if I can actually get the damn thing to sync! smile.gif
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 12:32 PM 04-29-2014
Sorry to hear of this issue. It’s indeed very odd. I wonder if the issue is related to a faulty USB cable. Did you try to swap USB cables?
One little detail worth checking if you don’t mind is to confirm if the issue is with the IO card. You can easily do so as follow:
1) Open the box and make sure you disconnect all USB cables from the outside (don’t have 2 USB cables)
2) Connecting a miniUSB cable (the type used on phones maybe you have one?) directly to the miniSHARC (center board inside the box).
3) See if you can connect now.

Thanks for the update, we hope to solve your problem asap!

Best Regards

miniDSP Ltd

Well.........

That is MiniDSP's response in a nutshell.......
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 04:13 PM 05-02-2014
Well MiniDSP stepped up to plate..........

Tried sync-ing OpenDRC-an with my Son's Mac......same issue.......box not being recognized. Will be receiving new Open being rush shipped on Monday. Since my new computer has only been used for one month, I restored computer to original settings......still didn't sync box. Two conclusions......software issue with Windows 8 or Open has issues. MiniDSP decided to switch out open.

Still receiving 43 error from Windows 8........in other words USB peripheral is not compliant. Will see how new Open works.
Fattykidd's Avatar Fattykidd 04:22 PM 05-02-2014
Glad to hear minidsp is gonna send you another unit to rule out faulty hardware on their end.
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 01:06 AM 05-03-2014
Has anyone ever had phase issues with the mini dsp? I have the Open DRC and has always worked great. I have recently got the WORST graphs ever known to man tonight and am baffled. I am not well versed pass the basics and am at a dead end of what to do. So I am here asking in hopes of answers. check out my recent posts in the REW thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs/9720#post_24677481
pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 01:23 AM 05-03-2014
I answered in the REW thread. I don't think it's phase issues.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 05:58 PM 05-09-2014

Well,  Minidsp customer service came through................after a week emailing back and forth, Minidsp decided to send another unit.  Unit was sent on Monday, which just arrived today. 

Immediately hooked up unit to sync up and my jaw dropped!  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! 

Minidsp sync-ed the very first time!  Evidently, I had a bad unit......................now to begin eq tomorrow!

Whew......................

No more sync light...................and now have master volume available.............SWEET!!!!!!

cookieattk's Avatar cookieattk 06:24 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:

Well,  Minidsp customer service came through................after a week emailing back and forth, Minidsp decided to send another unit.  Unit was sent on Monday, which just arrived today. 

Immediately hooked up unit to sync up and my jaw dropped!  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! 

Minidsp sync-ed the very first time!  Evidently, I had a bad unit......................now to begin eq tomorrow!

Whew......................

No more sync light...................and now have master volume available.............SWEET!!!!!!

what program are u using for generate fir filters ?
steveting99's Avatar steveting99 06:35 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

cookieattk,

I use a free program called Room Equalization Wizard (REW) that's available from Home Theater Shack here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

If you have a calibrated USB microphone ($100 from Cross Spectrum Labs) a laptop with HDMI port and a microphone boom stand, you can measure your room response. I did that for the low frequencies from 15Hz to 300Hz. REW has an automatic filter generator that will apply cuts to tame the room peaks. Details on how to can be found here: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 06:49 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

cookieattk,

I use a free program called Room Equalization Wizard (REW) that's available from Home Theater Shack here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

If you have a calibrated USB microphone ($100 from Cross Spectrum Labs) a laptop with HDMI port and a microphone boom stand, you can measure your room response. I did that for the low frequencies from 15Hz to 300Hz. REW has an automatic filter generator that will apply cuts to tame the room peaks. Details on how to can be found here: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

What steveting99 said! 

cookieattk's Avatar cookieattk 06:56 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

cookieattk,

yes but rew doesn't output fir filters just regular iir filters u could use something like rephase to make fir filters from the output of rew.
steveting99's Avatar steveting99 07:07 PM 05-09-2014
^cookieattk,

Yes, you're correct that REW just outputs IIR filters. You might want to post the question to the programmer at HTS if he can implement FIR feature in a future beta release of REW. Don't know how difficult it would be program wise.

I have the MiniDSP 2x4 which can only use IIR filters and so REW is the right fit.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 12:50 PM 05-10-2014

Trying to iron out the filters recommended by REW before I apply to Minidsp Open..........would be nice if Open could receive filters from REW with just one click.

Just checking..................

Filters from REW just don't seem right....................most definitely beginner issue.

Any suggestions on these filters from REW?  Thanks...........

pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 01:30 PM 05-10-2014
Quote:

Trying to iron out the filters recommended by REW before I apply to Minidsp Open..........would be nice if Open could receive filters from REW with just one click.

Filters from REW just don't seem right....................most definitely beginner issue.

DW-

You can export the filters from REW into a file that you in turn import into the MDSP software and possibly be done. It's not a perfect process. If you need a step by step let me know and I'll fire up my software.

BUT better yet (I like it better)

Sync the MDSP so changes are made in real time.
Turn your AVR to reference or close to
Take a measure sweep as normal (optional step)
Go to REW RTA feature and play pink noise using the tone generator. This displays your rooms FR in real time
With Pink noise playing, and RTA running, make filter adjustments in the MDSP interface. They will be applied real time.
Get your response flat, then verify it with another sweep.
3ll3d00d's Avatar 3ll3d00d 01:45 PM 05-10-2014
Quote:

you have a -44 (!) dB gain cut stacked on top of a +6dB boost, same Q and basically same frequency. This is pointless, you could just have a -38dB cut instead. However that's a massive amount to cut, have you clicked "set target level" first? The screen shows 75dB as target level but the sweep looks like it is aiming for 90dB or so.

pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 01:48 PM 05-10-2014
^^ thats just one reason why I prefer RTA and pink noise.......
pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 01:51 PM 05-10-2014
Oh by the way.... Bypass the FIR filters. Use PEQ peak filters on the input side. Then you can use the PEQ shelf filter to boost your low end on the out put.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 02:22 PM 05-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Oh by the way.... Bypass the FIR filters. Use PEQ peak filters on the input side. Then you can use the PEQ shelf filter to boost your low end on the out put.

Thanks,

That's what I'm doing ie. bypassing the FIR filters and using PEQ peak filters on input side..............there are only two. I'm not importing from REW, but manually inputting the two to each input 1/2.  Makes sense raising low end at output level.

Edit:

Low shelf is on input for Open...............................

pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 02:41 PM 05-10-2014
There is no shelf filter on output?
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:03 PM 05-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

There is no shelf filter on output?

No, shdelf is on input.........................well, here is my days work: 

Have a few more issues to deal with................but I'm getting there.  Minidsp in chain sure helped clean up some issues. More work to get it right tomorrow.

pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 08:08 PM 05-10-2014
Looks real good with exception of that dip at 35hz. Is there any smoothing applied?

Where are you crossing over at? Huge dip past 100.

Is that graph of just the subs or subs and right left mains?
First ... 76  77  78 79  80  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop