MiniDSP - Page 80 - AVS Forum
First ... 78  79  80 81  82  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > MiniDSP
steveting99's Avatar steveting99 07:28 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post
Can I just use my microphone to record right into REW?

Dan
If your microphone is directly connected to Mac and it's recognized by the OS, then it should be seen available on REW. I'm not that familar with the Mac and you may have to play around with the settings to enable this.

It's recommended to carry out a SPL check using a handheld radio shack meter (or equivalent) as outlined in the REW guide written by AVS member Jerry Austin. You can download it via the thread, have a read of it as it contains treasure load of information.

Jerry also did a comparison of various microphones and found that for low frequency sweeps (15Hz to 300Hz) there isn't much of a difference. See post # 4926 for the graphs.

laeriq's Avatar laeriq 05:53 PM 06-25-2014
Ended up with a 2x8 board from ebay. Built a small box for it and got everything hooked up today. One question.. the power supply the seller sent works but the cord is short... anyone know a decent place to get them with about a 6 foot cord? Anyway my first Omnimic run with it... 4 subs and Denon 4311 doing the XT32 thing. This was a -3 on the receiver which is about as loud as I'll go.
Attached: 6-25 after mdsp -3.jpg (44.9 KB) 
artur9's Avatar artur9 12:45 PM 07-13-2014
I have an unbalanced 2x4 MiniDSP and I'd like to experiment with stereo subs.

Ideally, I could feed in a full range L+R signal, low pass L to the left sub, low pass R to the right sub but also sum to a 3rd sub. Doubly ideally I could also sum the LFE into that 3rd sub but I don't see that happening with only 2 inputs.

I haven't found any HOWTOs or posts that suggest how to do this. Anyone know of one out there?
steveting99's Avatar steveting99 11:58 PM 07-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I have an unbalanced 2x4 MiniDSP and I'd like to experiment with stereo subs.

Ideally, I could feed in a full range L+R signal, low pass L to the left sub, low pass R to the right sub but also sum to a 3rd sub. Doubly ideally I could also sum the LFE into that 3rd sub but I don't see that happening with only 2 inputs.

I haven't found any HOWTOs or posts that suggest how to do this. Anyone know of one out there?
artur9,

Neutro did a great write on on dual sub integration using the 2x4 MiniDSP here:Tutorial: Dual sub integration using the MiniDSP, think this would give you the idea on how to do multiple sub setup.
artur9's Avatar artur9 06:25 AM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
artur9,

Neutro did a great write on on dual sub integration using the 2x4 MiniDSP here:Tutorial: Dual sub integration using the MiniDSP, think this would give you the idea on how to do multiple sub setup.
That was a multi-sub setup but it wasn't stereo subs as I am interested in.

I did my initial setup using that guide but the results were not satisfactory for reasons not related to the guide.

I think what I'll need to do is set L+R to be full range and then I'll get LFE through the L+R. Then I would route the L+R through the minidsp with appropriate crossover settings in the minidsp.

My prepro has quirks so I need to confirm that the subwoofer still functions as expected for the other channels.
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 07:08 AM 07-14-2014
So if you want a stereo subwoofer setup, how would it work out, say...if you were to run each sub in line with the Left main and then another sub in line with the Right main, not using an LFE connection, and then setting the Left + Right mains to be full range?

I would imagine that it would be optimal as then you could run them in direct mode with no additional processing and get the truest signal quality as music does not have an LFE channel.

I have no idea how this would work connection wise. Perhaps you could use a plate amp with speaker level inputs and outputs?
Alan P's Avatar Alan P 12:13 PM 07-14-2014
Why run stereo subs? Are you planning on running high crossovers?

You won't get any benefit unless you are running crossovers at a high enough setting to reveal audibly locate-able frequencies (i.e. above 80hz). Even then, the benefits are negligible.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 01:03 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
That was a multi-sub setup but it wasn't stereo subs as I am interested in.

I did my initial setup using that guide but the results were not satisfactory for reasons not related to the guide.

I think what I'll need to do is set L+R to be full range and then I'll get LFE through the L+R. Then I would route the L+R through the minidsp with appropriate crossover settings in the minidsp.

My prepro has quirks so I need to confirm that the subwoofer still functions as expected for the other channels.

Set AVR to large speakers. Set AVR to LFE plus Mains. Often times called double bass. Route LFE channel to third sub. Route left main to channel 1 input on MiniDSP. Tie output 1 and 2 on MiniDSP to channel 1 input. Low pass channel 1 and run to left sub. High pass channel 2 and run to left main.

Route right main to channel 2 input on MiniDSP. Tie output 3 and 4 on MiniDSP to channel 2 input. Low pass channel 3 and run to right sub. High pass channel 4 and run to right main.
Bud Heavy's Avatar Bud Heavy 04:18 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

It's recommended to carry out a SPL check using a handheld radio shack meter (or equivalent) as outlined in the REW guide written by AVS member Jerry Austin. You can download it via the thread, have a read of it as it contains treasure load of information.
Do you have link to the REW guide? I can't find anything when I do a search on Jerry Austin and/or REW.
andyc56's Avatar andyc56 04:35 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Heavy View Post
Do you have link to the REW guide? I can't find anything when I do a search on Jerry Austin and/or REW.
It is here. The user is AustinJerry. His nick refers to where he lives (Austin, TX).
artur9's Avatar artur9 06:30 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Why run stereo subs? Are you planning on running high crossovers?
Just experimenting. Planning on using an xover at least 100Hz probably higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You won't get any benefit unless you are running crossovers at a high enough setting to reveal audibly locate-able frequencies (i.e. above 80hz). Even then, the benefits are negligible.
I would like to hear these benefits. All in the name of tweaking.

BTW, what do you think the benefits would be?
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 12:19 PM 07-15-2014
I have a Minidsp that I havent got to use yet but I will be installing it in a rack box.

I was wondering: Can you leave the USB cable hooked up to the minidsp and computer while its in use? I was considering hooking up minidsp to my HTPC in the back of the rack and leaving it connected. Will this work?
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 12:27 PM 07-15-2014
Yes. The miniDSP - well, my 2x4, anyway - needs either an active USB port or an AC-to-DC converter / wall-charger with USB connector for power.
89grand's Avatar 89grand 12:29 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
I have a Minidsp that I havent got to use yet but I will be installing it in a rack box.

I was wondering: Can you leave the USB cable hooked up to the minidsp and computer while its in use? I was considering hooking up minidsp to my HTPC in the back of the rack and leaving it connected. Will this work?
Yeah, that works, in fact it needs to be connected in some way or another to actually work. I didn't want my laptop connected to mine unless I was tuning so I have a USB wall charger plugged into my power center, and that powers the Minidsp 24/7 unless I'm tuning it, and then it gets plugged into the laptop again.
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 12:36 PM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Yes. The miniDSP - well, my 2x4, anyway - needs either an active USB port or an AC-to-DC converter / wall-charger with USB connector for power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Yeah, that works, in fact it needs to be connected in some way or another to actually work. I didn't want my laptop connected to mine unless I was tuning so I have a USB wall charger plugged into my power center, and that powers the Minidsp 24/7 unless I'm tuning it, and then it gets plugged into the laptop again.
OOOOH OK. Thanks, I didn't know it would receive power over USB also.... Cool.

So I know there is a thump at power on if the amps are already powered on, is the same for power off?
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 12:39 PM 07-15-2014
My subs thump when I power my Dayton amps on/off, so I'm not sure whether the miniDSP also affects them. Where I do notice a very mild thump from the miniDSP is when I synchronize the software (the plug-in) to the unit.
89grand's Avatar 89grand 12:46 PM 07-15-2014
Yeah, I get some mild thump connecting and disconnecting it and synchronizing it, but typically is just stays powered up unless I'm going to do some tuning with it.
RickD1225's Avatar RickD1225 04:00 PM 07-15-2014
I have mine plugged into the USB on my receiver and it thumps when the receiver is turning on or off. I am probably going to change to a wall charger and leave it powered up, since I don't want to turn the power amp for the subs on and off as I use the system.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 10:28 AM 07-21-2014
Hey gents!!! I have a fun new OpenDRC-an heading my way and wanted to see what you guys using y splitters are getting for voltage to your units? I would need to use a y splitter out of each output for a total of 4 sub amp channels, but was told elsewhere that the minidsp folk are not suggesting splitters as a viable option due to voltage situations. I have one other avenue to loop the subwoofer amps, but wanted to consider this option first as I think it might work a little better.

Fire away guys!
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 05:50 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey gents!!! I have a fun new OpenDRC-an heading my way and wanted to see what you guys using y splitters are getting for voltage to your units? I would need to use a y splitter out of each output for a total of 4 sub amp channels, but was told elsewhere that the minidsp folk are not suggesting splitters as a viable option due to voltage situations. I have one other avenue to loop the subwoofer amps, but wanted to consider this option first as I think it might work a little better.

Fire away guys!
You mean you want to power a bunch of them off the same plug ?
thucker's Avatar thucker 06:00 PM 07-21-2014
So I have to close and re-open the plugin to be able to sync to the box every time I want to change settings. Even if the unit is connected to the computer the whole time. Is this normal? Is there a work around?

Thanks,
edoggrc51's Avatar edoggrc51 06:37 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:

Fire away guys!
Yo B!!

I have mine hooked up like this: 4311 >RCA to XLR adapter cable>DRC>single XLR cable to custom 4into1 splitter> 2 IPR7500 amps. If you need me to measure anything let me know where and I can do that tonight.
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 05:26 AM 07-22-2014
FWIW I mounted a Balanced 2X4 into a rack mount enclosure. I learned a lot on this project especially about interconnects and grounding.

DIY Rack Mount Minidsp Balanced 2x4 Enclosure

Here is how i handled grounding the shield(pin1) on each input and output:

One short jumper wire from pin1 to body pin.

beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 05:40 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
Yo B!!

I have mine hooked up like this: 4311 >RCA to XLR adapter cable>DRC>single XLR cable to custom 4into1 splitter> 2 IPR7500 amps. If you need me to measure anything let me know where and I can do that tonight.
Heydude! Are you getting enough voltage to the peaveys to still be able to see those DDR lights without having to do any crazy boosting of the signal in the mini software? Are you boosting the voltage in or out at all actually?

I don't think a simple y splitter would cause that large of an issue but I just want to confirm before I try it out The opendrc should be here any day now so I am stoked to finally play around with the software for the first time
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 06:36 AM 07-22-2014
Nick that case looks awesome. Great wiring job also.
edoggrc51's Avatar edoggrc51 09:55 AM 07-22-2014
Quote:
Heydude! Are you getting enough voltage to the peaveys to still be able to see those DDR lights without having to do any crazy boosting of the signal in the mini software? Are you boosting the voltage in or out at all actually?

I don't think a simple y splitter would cause that large of an issue but I just want to confirm before I try it out The opendrc should be here any day now so I am stoked to finally play around with the software for the first time
No problems with the voltage here bro. I don't have anything boosting it, nor are any of the levels crazy high. It pretty much has been working right out of the box.

You're gonna love the software man! Super easy to use!!
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 01:16 PM 07-22-2014
Thanks man! I am assuming you did the BJC custom splitter?
edoggrc51's Avatar edoggrc51 02:00 PM 07-22-2014
Yup. BJC 4-1 splitter.
lukeamdman's Avatar lukeamdman 11:28 PM 07-24-2014
Made this for my 8x8 since I'm constantly changing things around:

beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 05:27 PM 07-25-2014
alright, so I am trying to figure out how to take a single input on the open DRC and make it output to both outputs....How do you do that?
First ... 78  79  80 81  82  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop