post #2371 of 2467 Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell View Post
Can I just use my microphone to record right into REW?

Dan
If your microphone is directly connected to Mac and it's recognized by the OS, then it should be seen available on REW. I'm not that familar with the Mac and you may have to play around with the settings to enable this.

It's recommended to carry out a SPL check using a handheld radio shack meter (or equivalent) as outlined in the REW guide written by AVS member Jerry Austin. You can download it via the thread, have a read of it as it contains treasure load of information.

Jerry also did a comparison of various microphones and found that for low frequency sweeps (15Hz to 300Hz) there isn't much of a difference. See post # 4926 for the graphs.
dftkell likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2467 Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ended up with a 2x8 board from ebay. Built a small box for it and got everything hooked up today. One question.. the power supply the seller sent works but the cord is short... anyone know a decent place to get them with about a 6 foot cord? Anyway my first Omnimic run with it... 4 subs and Denon 4311 doing the XT32 thing. This was a -3 on the receiver which is about as loud as I'll go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-25 after mdsp -3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	135753  
post #2373 of 2467 Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have an unbalanced 2x4 MiniDSP and I'd like to experiment with stereo subs.

Ideally, I could feed in a full range L+R signal, low pass L to the left sub, low pass R to the right sub but also sum to a 3rd sub. Doubly ideally I could also sum the LFE into that 3rd sub but I don't see that happening with only 2 inputs.

I haven't found any HOWTOs or posts that suggest how to do this. Anyone know of one out there?
post #2374 of 2467 Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I have an unbalanced 2x4 MiniDSP and I'd like to experiment with stereo subs.

Ideally, I could feed in a full range L+R signal, low pass L to the left sub, low pass R to the right sub but also sum to a 3rd sub. Doubly ideally I could also sum the LFE into that 3rd sub but I don't see that happening with only 2 inputs.

I haven't found any HOWTOs or posts that suggest how to do this. Anyone know of one out there?
artur9,

Neutro did a great write on on dual sub integration using the 2x4 MiniDSP here:Tutorial: Dual sub integration using the MiniDSP, think this would give you the idea on how to do multiple sub setup.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2375 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
artur9,

Neutro did a great write on on dual sub integration using the 2x4 MiniDSP here:Tutorial: Dual sub integration using the MiniDSP, think this would give you the idea on how to do multiple sub setup.
That was a multi-sub setup but it wasn't stereo subs as I am interested in.

I did my initial setup using that guide but the results were not satisfactory for reasons not related to the guide.

I think what I'll need to do is set L+R to be full range and then I'll get LFE through the L+R. Then I would route the L+R through the minidsp with appropriate crossover settings in the minidsp.

My prepro has quirks so I need to confirm that the subwoofer still functions as expected for the other channels.
post #2376 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 168
So if you want a stereo subwoofer setup, how would it work out, say...if you were to run each sub in line with the Left main and then another sub in line with the Right main, not using an LFE connection, and then setting the Left + Right mains to be full range?

I would imagine that it would be optimal as then you could run them in direct mode with no additional processing and get the truest signal quality as music does not have an LFE channel.

I have no idea how this would work connection wise. Perhaps you could use a plate amp with speaker level inputs and outputs?
post #2377 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Why run stereo subs? Are you planning on running high crossovers?

You won't get any benefit unless you are running crossovers at a high enough setting to reveal audibly locate-able frequencies (i.e. above 80hz). Even then, the benefits are negligible.
post #2378 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
That was a multi-sub setup but it wasn't stereo subs as I am interested in.

I did my initial setup using that guide but the results were not satisfactory for reasons not related to the guide.

I think what I'll need to do is set L+R to be full range and then I'll get LFE through the L+R. Then I would route the L+R through the minidsp with appropriate crossover settings in the minidsp.

My prepro has quirks so I need to confirm that the subwoofer still functions as expected for the other channels.

Set AVR to large speakers. Set AVR to LFE plus Mains. Often times called double bass. Route LFE channel to third sub. Route left main to channel 1 input on MiniDSP. Tie output 1 and 2 on MiniDSP to channel 1 input. Low pass channel 1 and run to left sub. High pass channel 2 and run to left main.

Route right main to channel 2 input on MiniDSP. Tie output 3 and 4 on MiniDSP to channel 2 input. Low pass channel 3 and run to right sub. High pass channel 4 and run to right main.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2379 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

It's recommended to carry out a SPL check using a handheld radio shack meter (or equivalent) as outlined in the REW guide written by AVS member Jerry Austin. You can download it via the thread, have a read of it as it contains treasure load of information.
Do you have link to the REW guide? I can't find anything when I do a search on Jerry Austin and/or REW.
post #2380 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Heavy View Post
Do you have link to the REW guide? I can't find anything when I do a search on Jerry Austin and/or REW.
It is here. The user is AustinJerry. His nick refers to where he lives (Austin, TX).
Bud Heavy likes this.

Last edited by andyc56; 07-14-2014 at 03:41 PM.
post #2381 of 2467 Old 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Why run stereo subs? Are you planning on running high crossovers?
Just experimenting. Planning on using an xover at least 100Hz probably higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You won't get any benefit unless you are running crossovers at a high enough setting to reveal audibly locate-able frequencies (i.e. above 80hz). Even then, the benefits are negligible.
I would like to hear these benefits. All in the name of tweaking.

BTW, what do you think the benefits would be?
post #2382 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I have a Minidsp that I havent got to use yet but I will be installing it in a rack box.

I was wondering: Can you leave the USB cable hooked up to the minidsp and computer while its in use? I was considering hooking up minidsp to my HTPC in the back of the rack and leaving it connected. Will this work?
post #2383 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Yes. The miniDSP - well, my 2x4, anyway - needs either an active USB port or an AC-to-DC converter / wall-charger with USB connector for power.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 07-15-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #2384 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
I have a Minidsp that I havent got to use yet but I will be installing it in a rack box.

I was wondering: Can you leave the USB cable hooked up to the minidsp and computer while its in use? I was considering hooking up minidsp to my HTPC in the back of the rack and leaving it connected. Will this work?
Yeah, that works, in fact it needs to be connected in some way or another to actually work. I didn't want my laptop connected to mine unless I was tuning so I have a USB wall charger plugged into my power center, and that powers the Minidsp 24/7 unless I'm tuning it, and then it gets plugged into the laptop again.
post #2385 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Yes. The miniDSP - well, my 2x4, anyway - needs either an active USB port or an AC-to-DC converter / wall-charger with USB connector for power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Yeah, that works, in fact it needs to be connected in some way or another to actually work. I didn't want my laptop connected to mine unless I was tuning so I have a USB wall charger plugged into my power center, and that powers the Minidsp 24/7 unless I'm tuning it, and then it gets plugged into the laptop again.
OOOOH OK. Thanks, I didn't know it would receive power over USB also.... Cool.

So I know there is a thump at power on if the amps are already powered on, is the same for power off?
post #2386 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 553
My subs thump when I power my Dayton amps on/off, so I'm not sure whether the miniDSP also affects them. Where I do notice a very mild thump from the miniDSP is when I synchronize the software (the plug-in) to the unit.
post #2387 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yeah, I get some mild thump connecting and disconnecting it and synchronizing it, but typically is just stays powered up unless I'm going to do some tuning with it.
post #2388 of 2467 Old 07-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have mine plugged into the USB on my receiver and it thumps when the receiver is turning on or off. I am probably going to change to a wall charger and leave it powered up, since I don't want to turn the power amp for the subs on and off as I use the system.

post #2389 of 2467 Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Hey gents!!! I have a fun new OpenDRC-an heading my way and wanted to see what you guys using y splitters are getting for voltage to your units? I would need to use a y splitter out of each output for a total of 4 sub amp channels, but was told elsewhere that the minidsp folk are not suggesting splitters as a viable option due to voltage situations. I have one other avenue to loop the subwoofer amps, but wanted to consider this option first as I think it might work a little better.

Fire away guys!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #2390 of 2467 Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey gents!!! I have a fun new OpenDRC-an heading my way and wanted to see what you guys using y splitters are getting for voltage to your units? I would need to use a y splitter out of each output for a total of 4 sub amp channels, but was told elsewhere that the minidsp folk are not suggesting splitters as a viable option due to voltage situations. I have one other avenue to loop the subwoofer amps, but wanted to consider this option first as I think it might work a little better.

Fire away guys!
You mean you want to power a bunch of them off the same plug ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #2391 of 2467 Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I have to close and re-open the plugin to be able to sync to the box every time I want to change settings. Even if the unit is connected to the computer the whole time. Is this normal? Is there a work around?

Thanks,
post #2392 of 2467 Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Fire away guys!
Yo B!!

I have mine hooked up like this: 4311 >RCA to XLR adapter cable>DRC>single XLR cable to custom 4into1 splitter> 2 IPR7500 amps. If you need me to measure anything let me know where and I can do that tonight.
post #2393 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW I mounted a Balanced 2X4 into a rack mount enclosure. I learned a lot on this project especially about interconnects and grounding.

DIY Rack Mount Minidsp Balanced 2x4 Enclosure

Here is how i handled grounding the shield(pin1) on each input and output:

One short jumper wire from pin1 to body pin.

popalock likes this.
post #2394 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
Yo B!!

I have mine hooked up like this: 4311 >RCA to XLR adapter cable>DRC>single XLR cable to custom 4into1 splitter> 2 IPR7500 amps. If you need me to measure anything let me know where and I can do that tonight.
Heydude! Are you getting enough voltage to the peaveys to still be able to see those DDR lights without having to do any crazy boosting of the signal in the mini software? Are you boosting the voltage in or out at all actually?

I don't think a simple y splitter would cause that large of an issue but I just want to confirm before I try it out The opendrc should be here any day now so I am stoked to finally play around with the software for the first time
Mfusick and popalock like this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #2395 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Nick that case looks awesome. Great wiring job also.
Mfusick likes this.
post #2396 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Heydude! Are you getting enough voltage to the peaveys to still be able to see those DDR lights without having to do any crazy boosting of the signal in the mini software? Are you boosting the voltage in or out at all actually?

I don't think a simple y splitter would cause that large of an issue but I just want to confirm before I try it out The opendrc should be here any day now so I am stoked to finally play around with the software for the first time
No problems with the voltage here bro. I don't have anything boosting it, nor are any of the levels crazy high. It pretty much has been working right out of the box.

You're gonna love the software man! Super easy to use!!
post #2397 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Thanks man! I am assuming you did the BJC custom splitter?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #2398 of 2467 Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup. BJC 4-1 splitter.
post #2399 of 2467 Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Made this for my 8x8 since I'm constantly changing things around:

chrapladm and beastaudio like this.
post #2400 of 2467 Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

alright, so I am trying to figure out how to take a single input on the open DRC and make it output to both outputs....How do you do that?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page