post #2461 of 2480 Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Now once you sync a minidsp to the PC (after you have it setup with your desired settings)... You can disconnect it, and then plug another one in, and sync it to whatever settings you want , correct? Once you setup one speaker... Do you just copy the settings to the other speaker or do you need to run REW on that one individually too? In otherwords... Once you have the minidsp setup you no longer need a PC, you just need power to them, correct?.

Yes, pull the USB of the Mini you've finished working on (don't forget to save the config to file), plug in the USB to the other Mini, load the appropriate config file for it and synch.

I do the fronts separately to see at how similar they look. Some areas of the FR might be different for left than for right, but they should be fairly close to each other if their placements are good.
Whether you can copy to the other speaker depends on if the deviation is there for both. IOW, you shouldn't copy it over if one speaker has a dip and the other has a peak at or near the same freq.
The subs are EQ'd together, as they don't (usually) handle directional cues.
Start by working on the large amplitude and broadband deviations in the bass, they'll be readily apparent. You may find that is all you need.

It can get a bit fiddly when you work on the XO region, as you'll be pulling the USB to the front's Mini (save to file), plugging in the USB to the sub's Mini, loading a new config file and synching, before working on the subs. You may have to do this more than once. Alternatively, you could use a second PC with a copy of the plugin installed. :shrug:

Yes, once you're done, you no longer need the PC.

Hopefully, you enjoy doing such things and all goes smoothly for you.
ellisr63 likes this.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2480 Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post
Yes, pull the USB of the Mini you've finished working on (don't forget to save the config to file), plug in the USB to the other Mini, load the appropriate config file for it and synch.

I do the fronts separately to see at how similar they look. Some areas of the FR might be different for left than for right, but they should be fairly close to each other if their placements are good.
Whether you can copy to the other speaker depends on if the deviation is there for both. IOW, you shouldn't copy it over if one speaker has a dip and the other has a peak at or near the same freq.
The subs are EQ'd together, as they don't (usually) handle directional cues.
Start by working on the large amplitude and broadband deviations in the bass, they'll be readily apparent. You may find that is all you need.

It can get a bit fiddly when you work on the XO region, as you'll be pulling the USB to the front's Mini (save to file), plugging in the USB to the sub's Mini, loading a new config file and synching, before working on the subs. You may have to do this more than once. Alternatively, you could use a second PC with a copy of the plugin installed. :shrug:

Yes, once you're done, you no longer need the PC.

Hopefully, you enjoy doing such things and all goes smoothly for you.
Thanks for the help... Hopefully it will go smoothly.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #2463 of 2480 Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do any of the plugins allow for more than 7.5ms of delay per channel, or is this a hardware limitation?
post #2464 of 2480 Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I've found a workaround with the 2x4 if you don't need more than 3 channels of EQ/gain/crossover:

Loop from output 1 to input 2 and then you will have 7.5ms on output 3 and up to 15ms on outputs 2&4.
post #2465 of 2480 Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've found a workaround with the 2x4 if you don't need more than 3 channels of EQ/gain/crossover:

Loop from output 1 to input 2 and then you will have 7.5ms on output 3 and up to 15ms on outputs 2&4.
That's a clever idea. Wouldn't this mean that the signal would go through two sets of A/D-D/A conversions? Are there any Minidsp units or plugins that allow for more than 7.5ms of delay?
post #2466 of 2480 Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The "rear center" plug-in has 27 ms of delay on the 2x4, that is the only one that isn't 7.5 ms.

For the 2x8 and 8x8 they are 9 ms, the 10x10 plug-in can do 15 ms.
post #2467 of 2480 Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
The "rear center" plug-in has 27 ms of delay on the 2x4, that is the only one that isn't 7.5 ms.

For the 2x8 and 8x8 they are 9 ms, the 10x10 plug-in can do 15 ms.
Ok thanks. That's very helpful.

I had a DCX2496 but the display was flickering and the unit was power cycling so I sent it back. The delay feature did the most to flatten response and improve the sound. The magic number was 10 ft. on my front subs, which I believe amounts to about 9 ms of delay.
post #2468 of 2480 Old 11-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Looking to EQ my Buttkickers and trying to decide what type of EQ to get. Looking at an ART EQ 351 or Mini DSP. They are in the same price range so that is why I am considering the Mini DSP instead of just trying to grab a 351 off ebay. My goal is to keep my 20hz and above shake the same, but reduce my below ~15-20hz shake to keep the kickers from bottoming on that deep ULF content. The 351 is self explanatory and I don't need anything else, but what exactly would I need to download for the mini dsp to get EQ, HPF, etc....? Any thoughts on which way to go here would be appreciated. I plan to just stick whatever I buy between my preamp and BK amp. I kind of like the idea of delay on the Mini DSP in case I need some to get my subs/kickers to match up perfectly as far as hitting at the same time (I assume I could do this with the Mini which I cant do with the 351?).

EDIT: One other question, but what is the range/flexibility with the HPF on the MiniDSP? I can go down to 10hz on the 351, but I assume the Mini can go even lower into the single digits? Also have read of some having voltage issues with the unbalanced Mini DSP and going with balanced. Would the unbalanced Mini be fine voltage wise for my BK amp or should I get the balanced version? The input sensitivity on the BK amp is 160 mV.......what does this mean in relation to needing balanced or unbalanced as far as the Mini DSP?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 11-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.
post #2469 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The MiniDSP has a "slider" in the GUI that only goes down to 10Hz, but you can use Advanced Programming and use a Excel sheet (Bi-Quad calculator) from MiniDSP for even lower frequencies.
post #2470 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The MiniDSP 2x4 housed option looks intriguing, however, one thing concerns me about the specs. It seems the max output voltage is under 1 volt. My Crown amps need 1.4V to work their best. I have my Crowns connected directly to a DAC (no preamp) which has 2.0V unbalanced and 4.0V balanced outs.

Is this going to be a problem? Am I going to have to get another doodad to boost the voltage?

- Unbalanced inputs switchable with a jumper between 0.9Vrms and 2Vrms
- Unbalanced outputs: Max 0.9Vrms

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub
post #2471 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
The MiniDSP 2x4 housed option looks intriguing, however, one thing concerns me about the specs. It seems the max output voltage is under 1 volt. My Crown amps need 1.4V to work their best. I have my Crowns connected directly to a DAC (no preamp) which has 2.0V unbalanced and 4.0V balanced outs.

Is this going to be a problem? Am I going to have to get another doodad to boost the voltage?

- Unbalanced inputs switchable with a jumper between 0.9Vrms and 2Vrms
- Unbalanced outputs: Max 0.9Vrms
you have to get the minidsp 2x4 balanced, the 2x4 unbalanced like you said only does 0.9V so it can only get the full power out of consumer amps and inukes. It can't drive your crown amps to full power.
post #2472 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
you have to get the minidsp 2x4 balanced, the 2x4 unbalanced like you said only does 0.9V so it can only get the full power out of consumer amps and inukes. It can't drive your crown amps to full power.
Thank you.

EDIT: Holy cow! That thing has some funky connections.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Emotiva XDA-2 > Emotiva Control Freak > Crown XLS2000 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs
2: Computer > Parasound Zdac > Emotiva Control Freak > Acurus A150 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; Yesterday at 12:14 PM.
post #2473 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there a simple way to convert the inputs/outputs on the balanced to RCA?

post #2474 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Is there a simple way to convert the inputs/outputs on the balanced to RCA?
The easiest way would be to use an adapter (like the one fro Hosa).

The best would be to get a converter from Rolls, Art, Samson....

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
post #2475 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
The input sensitivity on the BK amp is 160 mV.......what does this mean in relation to needing balanced or unbalanced as far as the Mini DSP?
It means you're fine using the unbalanced version. The input sensitivity is the RMS value of a sinusoidal input voltage required to drive the amp to full rated output. As long as the maximum output voltage of the device feeding it (0.9 Volts RMS in this case) is larger than the input sensitivity of the buttkicker (0.160 Volts RMS), you'll be able to drive the amp to full power.

IMO, "sensitivity" is a bad name for this specification, as the larger the number, the less sensitive it is, unlike speaker sensitivity ratings.
Toe likes this.
post #2476 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
The easiest way would be to use an adapter (like the one fro Hosa).

The best would be to get a converter from Rolls, Art, Samson....
Thanks rms8! Do you have a link for the Rolls, Art, Samson coverter? Sorry, not sure what you are talking about here.

post #2477 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks rms8! Do you have a link for the Rolls, Art, Samson coverter? Sorry, not sure what you are talking about here.

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/.../cleanbox_pro/

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
post #2478 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 240
This is what I did with my balanced miniDSP's:

Fatshaft, Toe, Face2 and 2 others like this.
post #2479 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
It means you're fine using the unbalanced version. The input sensitivity is the RMS value of a sinusoidal input voltage required to drive the amp to full rated output. As long as the maximum output voltage of the device feeding it (0.9 Volts RMS in this case) is larger than the input sensitivity of the buttkicker (0.160 Volts RMS), you'll be able to drive the amp to full power.

IMO, "sensitivity" is a bad name for this specification, as the larger the number, the less sensitive it is, unlike speaker sensitivity ratings.
That's great news since using the unbalanced Mini will be easier since it already has the RCA inputs! Thanks for the great explanation.

post #2480 of 2480 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. Looks like the unbalanced version will be perfect for my needs, but I appreciate the info for future reference as I might grab a balanced Mini down the line for my subs.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page