post #2461 of 2467 Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Now once you sync a minidsp to the PC (after you have it setup with your desired settings)... You can disconnect it, and then plug another one in, and sync it to whatever settings you want , correct? Once you setup one speaker... Do you just copy the settings to the other speaker or do you need to run REW on that one individually too? In otherwords... Once you have the minidsp setup you no longer need a PC, you just need power to them, correct?.

Yes, pull the USB of the Mini you've finished working on (don't forget to save the config to file), plug in the USB to the other Mini, load the appropriate config file for it and synch.

I do the fronts separately to see at how similar they look. Some areas of the FR might be different for left than for right, but they should be fairly close to each other if their placements are good.
Whether you can copy to the other speaker depends on if the deviation is there for both. IOW, you shouldn't copy it over if one speaker has a dip and the other has a peak at or near the same freq.
The subs are EQ'd together, as they don't (usually) handle directional cues.
Start by working on the large amplitude and broadband deviations in the bass, they'll be readily apparent. You may find that is all you need.

It can get a bit fiddly when you work on the XO region, as you'll be pulling the USB to the front's Mini (save to file), plugging in the USB to the sub's Mini, loading a new config file and synching, before working on the subs. You may have to do this more than once. Alternatively, you could use a second PC with a copy of the plugin installed. :shrug:

Yes, once you're done, you no longer need the PC.

Hopefully, you enjoy doing such things and all goes smoothly for you.
ellisr63 likes this.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2467 Old 09-06-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post
Yes, pull the USB of the Mini you've finished working on (don't forget to save the config to file), plug in the USB to the other Mini, load the appropriate config file for it and synch.

I do the fronts separately to see at how similar they look. Some areas of the FR might be different for left than for right, but they should be fairly close to each other if their placements are good.
Whether you can copy to the other speaker depends on if the deviation is there for both. IOW, you shouldn't copy it over if one speaker has a dip and the other has a peak at or near the same freq.
The subs are EQ'd together, as they don't (usually) handle directional cues.
Start by working on the large amplitude and broadband deviations in the bass, they'll be readily apparent. You may find that is all you need.

It can get a bit fiddly when you work on the XO region, as you'll be pulling the USB to the front's Mini (save to file), plugging in the USB to the sub's Mini, loading a new config file and synching, before working on the subs. You may have to do this more than once. Alternatively, you could use a second PC with a copy of the plugin installed. :shrug:

Yes, once you're done, you no longer need the PC.

Hopefully, you enjoy doing such things and all goes smoothly for you.
Thanks for the help... Hopefully it will go smoothly.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #2463 of 2467 Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Do any of the plugins allow for more than 7.5ms of delay per channel, or is this a hardware limitation?
post #2464 of 2467 Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I've found a workaround with the 2x4 if you don't need more than 3 channels of EQ/gain/crossover:

Loop from output 1 to input 2 and then you will have 7.5ms on output 3 and up to 15ms on outputs 2&4.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #2465 of 2467 Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've found a workaround with the 2x4 if you don't need more than 3 channels of EQ/gain/crossover:

Loop from output 1 to input 2 and then you will have 7.5ms on output 3 and up to 15ms on outputs 2&4.
That's a clever idea. Wouldn't this mean that the signal would go through two sets of A/D-D/A conversions? Are there any Minidsp units or plugins that allow for more than 7.5ms of delay?
post #2466 of 2467 Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
The "rear center" plug-in has 27 ms of delay on the 2x4, that is the only one that isn't 7.5 ms.

For the 2x8 and 8x8 they are 9 ms, the 10x10 plug-in can do 15 ms.

post #2467 of 2467 Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
The "rear center" plug-in has 27 ms of delay on the 2x4, that is the only one that isn't 7.5 ms.

For the 2x8 and 8x8 they are 9 ms, the 10x10 plug-in can do 15 ms.
Ok thanks. That's very helpful.

I had a DCX2496 but the display was flickering and the unit was power cycling so I sent it back. The delay feature did the most to flatten response and improve the sound. The magic number was 10 ft. on my front subs, which I believe amounts to about 9 ms of delay.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page