post #2851 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
No I do not use my laptop to play content, it is a laptop that is dedicated for my system.....REW, Mini-Dsp, Inuke software...etc. This is the first Ive heard of measuring a signal from the source. I have 3 sources in my system, a PS3, Xfinity cable box, and a CD player....so which one do I check the voltages on? Im sure they will all be different. Ive always heard to measure the output from the AVR.....

During this test everything was coming from my laptop.....HDMI cable into the AUX input on my AVR for REW, and a USB cable into the Mini. I was running he 60hz sine wave, and at the same time had the Mini software open to see the meters. So even with just the laptop it was clipping.

Having the MV @+6 is a rare occasion and is really only for Demo's. So I just want to make sure when I go that high I won't bottom my subs, hence setting my gains to this level.

My main question is why is the mini even clipping when I am below the rated 8v input?? And also the rated 2v out?? I planned my purchase around the 8v input, and just don't understand why I am having problems. I thought I did enough research to not have this problem. I really don't want to have to adjust all the trims in my AVR to make something work that shouldn't be an issue to begin with, but I guess if I have to do it then there is no choice.

Thanks for the reply...
I only specify that you should use the actual player to rule out any gain settings on the laptop and player.

You measure the voltage the same way at the input of the minidsp.

For example some players have internal volume which affects the output signal. Was your laptop MV set to maximum? A simple way around that is to burn a 0dbfs signal to BR or DVD or get a test disc. This ensures no errors. I know the PS3 has internal volume so you might want to check and see that its not turned up above reference.

If the signal went to AVR via HDMI and MV on the laptop was set to max you should be ok to use the REW signal generators. I would think you would want a 0dbfs signal though and not a -3dbfs?

What are the trim settings for your mains? For your subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
I would think you would want a 0dbfs signal though and not a -3dbfs?
REW uses an rms value in the generator so -3 for a sine wave is 0dBFS peak
NicksHitachi likes this.
post #2853 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

^Oh, ok. I wasn't aware of that. Ive never used that function.
post #2854 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
REW uses an rms value in the generator so -3 for a sine wave is 0dBFS peak
You beat me to it......In REW the top of the -3dbfs wave is at 0dbfs

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...0-build-4.html
post #2855 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
I only specify that you should use the actual player to rule out any gain settings on the laptop and player.

You measure the voltage the same way at the input of the minidsp.

For example some players have internal volume which affects the output signal. Was your laptop MV set to maximum? A simple way around that is to burn a 0dbfs signal to BR or DVD or get a test disc. This ensures no errors. I know the PS3 has internal volume so you might want to check and see that its not turned up above reference.

If the signal went to AVR via HDMI and MV on the laptop was set to max you should be ok to use the REW signal generators. I would think you would want a 0dbfs signal though and not a -3dbfs?

What are the trim settings for your mains? For your subs?
You bring up a good point with the PS3, it does have a internal volume. I will need to see where that is set, just wondering how to measure the output of the PS3 since it is HDMI out.

While using REW I have the output volume in my laptop set at max.

post #2856 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

@NicksHitachi and @3ll3d00d , thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out.

Reading the last few pages and seeing that it is recommended to set the input to max on the Mini threw me off. I didn't realize that the open went up to 12db of gain, and the 2x4 only went to 0. I am still leaning all this stuff and its nice to have guys help.

Im going to redo the gain on my system and hopefully i get it right.

post #2857 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
just wondering how to measure the output of the PS3 since it is HDMI out.
You measure the same way as when you use your computer to play the reference signal, at the cable connected to the input of the mini.

The only difference is you play the 0dbfs signal through the actual player instead of generating the signal with the computer and REW.

Anyways, it sounds like you have found your issue. Good luck.
post #2858 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Will someone with the 10x10 do me a favor?

The DC power supply that was included, what brand is it and how many amps is the output rated for?

Thanks!
post #2859 of 2880 Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Will someone with the 10x10 do me a favor?

The DC power supply that was included, what brand is it and how many amps is the output rated for?

Thanks!
lukeamdman likes this.
post #2860 of 2880 Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So i have my unbalanced minidsp 2x4 in the classifieds since it can't power my FB14K past the -4db light. gains all the way up and settings in the back at max.

Took the plunge and ordered the balance version today (without the power supply) and found none of the ones i had were 12vdc so i ordered a Thomson A21220N AC Power Supply Charger Adapter
Item# A21220N from EMTC for 9.95 free shipping.

What does 2Vrms (5.6Vpp) mean for output? My avr at 0db for volume and -2 sub trim im exactly at 2v output. So if i have the 2v to the input of the balance version with the 2.0v jumper will it output 2vrms. Not sure what 5.6Vpp is?

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; 02-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #2861 of 2880 Old 02-21-2015, 09:52 AM

So got my balanced version today. Did they change/update it? This is how it came for the power input which is not like what is pictured on their website.

I like that i dont have to cut up my power supply!
post #2862 of 2880 Old 02-21-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMafia05 View Post
So got my balanced version today. Did they change/update it? This is how it came for the power input which is not like what is pictured on their website.

I like that i dont have to cut up my power supply!

Nice! Definitely and updated/improved design for the power connection.
post #2863 of 2880 Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The 2x4 I purchased a few months back looks exactly like yours.

Mike
post #2864 of 2880 Old 02-21-2015, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Mine looks like that too. I bought mine 3 months ago.

On a side note, I had an issue with my mini-dsp. Everything was working for 2 months and then it stopped working. It started making a thumping noise with no music coming through about 4 weeks ago. I eventually tried restoring the factory default programming and then loading my config back in and that fixed it. I was just wondering if anyone else had such an issue or if my situation was a fluke. It sounded like a turn on thump every second or so. At first I thought it was the power supply (its in my truck).
I post this only for a data point in case it happens to others.
post #2865 of 2880 Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subscribed
post #2866 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

I get no sound from amp from the balanced minidsp. I cut my hosa xlr to rcas "rca" end off. I used the middle wire for positive and the outside wire that seemed to sheild the inside wire to the negative and used a jumper wire to the neg and shield slots.

I get my inout level on the dsp to move.. same as the output. Nada. Confused and now bassless.
post #2867 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
I get no sound from amp from the balanced minidsp. I cut my hosa xlr to rcas "rca" end off. I used the middle wire for positive and the outside wire that seemed to sheild the inside wire to the negative and used a jumper wire to the neg and shield slots.

I get my inout level on the dsp to move.. same as the output. Nada. Confused and now bassless.
Testing for understanding. Here is the XLR cable configuration:

And here is the Phoenix connector on the 2x4:

Please check to make absolutely sure you have positive-to-positive, negative-to-negative, and ground-to-ground ("S" on the 2x4 diagram). I built cables exactly like you did--cut a cable in half and inserted the stripped wire ends into the Phoenix connectors, so I know it works. Assuming, of course, that you don't have a hardware problem.

Edit: Here is the stripped cable:

Last edited by AustinJerry; Yesterday at 05:14 PM.
post #2868 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

There is only 1 actual wire which is dead in the middle (like a speake wire. Then around the wire there is wire wrapped around like it's a shield around that middle wire. It's not 3 like my rca from my av.

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; Yesterday at 05:45 PM.
post #2869 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 157
Quote:
There is only 1 actual wire which is dead in the middle (like a speake wire. Then around the wire there is wire wrapped around like it's a shield around that middle wire. It's not 3 like my rca from my av.
That makes sense as you cut off a RCA connector, a conductor and a shield. The one that went to the center pin of the RCA was likely the positive and the shield negative. You don't want to jumper anything in the XLR, you have only 2 wires to work with.

Do you have any type of meter that you can verify the continuity between the wires and the pins on the XLR?
post #2870 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
That makes sense as you cut off a RCA connector, a conductor and a shield. The one that went to the center pin of the RCA was likely the positive and the shield negative. You don't want to jumper anything in the XLR, you have only 2 wires to work with.

Do yobu have any type of meter that you can verify the continuity between the wires and the pins on the XLR?
I have a multimeter. I jumped the negative to the shield on the minidsp like it says to do.

Edit: i had the middle wire to the positive and the outside shield wire to the neg and then a jumper to the shield on the minidsp

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
post #2871 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a multimeter. I jumped the negative to the shield on the minidsp like it says to do.

Edit: i had the middle wire to the positive and the outside shield wire to the neg and then a jumper to the shield on the minidsp
Sorry, working from a mobile device on a slow connection, but are you building an input or output cable? This picture above of the Pheonix connector is labled 'output'...

Last edited by Al Sherwood; Yesterday at 06:34 PM.
post #2872 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, working from a mobile device on a slow connection, but is the XLR end of this now going to XLR input on your power amp?
Yes. Have a FB14K. I knew i shouldnt of cut both xlr to rca right away.
post #2873 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. Have a FB14K. I knew i shouldnt of cut both xlr to rca right away.
Then you should be OK, head out for dinner, but I would verify the connections with the meter before doing anything else.
post #2874 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am confused. I thought you had a balanced 2x4. A balanced cable has two wires plus a ground. Obviously, since I don't know what you are doing, I can't be of any further help.
post #2875 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am confused. I thought you had a balanced 2x4. A balanced cable has two wires plus a ground. Obviously, since I don't know what you are doing, I can't be of any further help.
A xlr to rca is not a balanced cable. Hence i said i used a jumper wire from shield to negative on the balanced minidsp just like they have illustrated

Edit: few posts up from when i posted about this problem i had a unbalanced minidsp and wasnt enough to power the FB14K fully. Why i got a balanced version

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; Yesterday at 07:01 PM.
post #2876 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A xlr to rca is not a balanced cable. Hence i said i used a jumper wire from shield to negative on the balanced minidsp just like they have illustrated

Edit: few posts up from when i posted about this problem i had a unbalanced minidsp and wasnt enough to power the FB14K fully. Why i got a balanced version
I have an XLR to RCA cable connected to my DDRC-88A. I had to cut the cable in order to connect it to the Phoenix connectors on the 88A. The cable looked exactly like the one I showed in a pic earlier, with two wires and a shielded ground. So I am still confused. Since my connections work and yours don't, do you think there might be some truth in what I am saying?
post #2877 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I have an XLR to RCA cable connected to my DDRC-88A. I had to cut the cable in order to connect it to the Phoenix connectors on the 88A. The cable looked exactly like the one I showed in a pic earlier, with two wires and a shielded ground. So I am still confused. Since my connections work and yours don't, do you think there might be some truth in what I am saying?
What end did you cut? The rca or xlr? No idea what your trying to say so no idea.

Guess ill just order some new cables and wait a week
post #2878 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What end did you cut? The rca or xlr? No idea what your trying to say so no idea.

Guess ill just order some new cables and wait a week
Actually, I cut the cable in the middle, since I needed one half on the 88A input side, and the other half on the 88A output side. I guarantee a balanced cable has two wires and a ground shield. Perhaps something happens inside of the cable when it transitions from balanced to RCA that is confusing us, especially if you cut the cable right at the RCA connector.
post #2879 of 2880 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, I cut the cable in the middle, since I needed one half on the 88A input side, and the other half on the 88A output side. I guarantee a balanced cable has two wires and a ground shield. Perhaps something happens inside of the cable when it transitions from balanced to RCA that is confusing us, especially if you cut the cable right at the RCA connector.
That is what I said earlier, a XLR to RCA cable would only have two conductors at the RCA end, that is why I suggested using a meter to determine where each went back to on the XLR.

Suffice to say what Magnum needs is a XLR to XLR cable cut to expose all three conductors, then connect them to the Pheonix connectors as required.
post #2880 of 2880 Unread Today, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is what I said earlier, a XLR to RCA cable would only have two conductors at the RCA end, that is why I suggested using a meter to determine where each went back to on the XLR.

Suffice to say what Magnum needs is a XLR to XLR cable cut to expose all three conductors, then connect them to the Pheonix connectors as required.
Exactly. Somewhere between the XLR end and the RCA end, the cable undergoes a transition, going from the two-wire + ground to whatever is required on the RCA end. I am not sure why the OP was using the XLR-to-RCA cable to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page