56Likes
post #2881 of 2890 Old Today, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Exactly. Somewhere between the XLR end and the RCA end, the cable undergoes a transition, going from the two-wire + ground to whatever is required on the RCA end. I am not sure why the OP was using the XLR-to-RCA cable to begin with.
I said 2 times already (post 2860 and post 2875) on this page alone that I had a unbalanced minidsp 2x4 before i got the balanced version because it wasnt enough output for my FB14K. Their manual says for unbalanced connection to jump the negative and shield.

Edit: i will cut up one to see if your right about the transition. Think the cable is 3ft long? If not ill just order some new cables. Best place for xlr to xlr male ends? Seems sweetwater doesnt have both ends as male on their site. Closet to me for shipping why i like that site.

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; Today at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2890 Unread Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMafia05 View Post
I said 2 times already (post 2860 and post 2875) on this page alone that I had a unbalanced minidsp 2x4 before i got the balanced version because it wasnt enough output for my FB14K. Their manual says for unbalanced connection to jump the negative and shield.

Edit: i will cut up one to see if your right about the transition. Think the cable is 3ft long? If not ill just order some new cables. Best place for xlr to xlr male ends? Seems sweetwater doesnt have both ends as male on their site. Closet to me for shipping why i like that site.
I normally buy from Monoprice. Good cables at a reasonable price. Strange that both ends would be male. My pre-pro uses male, but my XPA-7 uses female.
post #2883 of 2890 Unread Today, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I normally buy from Monoprice. Good cables at a reasonable price. Strange that both ends would be male. My pre-pro uses male, but my XPA-7 uses female.
I thought maybe there would be cables with 2 male ends.. so i just needed 1 cable and cut it in half but if thats not the case ill order 2 cables.. i took the xlr apart. Pin 1 is jumped and solders to pin 3.

Edit. Here the manual

Last edited by MagnumMafia05; Today at 04:13 PM.
post #2884 of 2890 Unread Today, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought maybe there would be cables with 2 male ends.. so i just needed 1 cable and cut it in half but if thats not the case ill order 2 cables.. i took the xlr apart. Pin 1 is jumped and solders to pin 3.

That is not a standard balanced cable. Clearly it was meant for a balanced to single-ended conversion. Since you can't get any output to your subs, I recommend you purchase conventional balanced cables, which I am reasonably confident will get you up and running.
post #2885 of 2890 Unread Today, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That is not a standard balanced cable. Clearly it was meant for a balanced to single-ended conversion. Since you can't get any output to your subs, I recommend you purchase conventional balanced cables, which I am reasonably confident will get you up and running.
I have said its a unbalanced cable before. I even should you how minidsp shows how to wire that cable.

Anyways.. my dmm hooked up to the mini, i get 2.9 on DCV continously even if i move the output level on the mini around and even of i click mute if i have the positive in the + and negative in the - with the jumper from - to shield. Otherwise if the jumper isnt in, i get no reading.

Even if i soldered a new wire from pin 1 and took the jumper off from pin 1 and pin 3, it be the same thing with the jumper on the dsp like they even show on the manual.
post #2886 of 2890 Unread Today, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have said its a unbalanced cable before. I even should you how minidsp shows how to wire that cable.

Anyways.. my dmm hooked up to the mini, i get 2.9 on DCV continously even if i move the output level on the mini around and even of i click mute if i have the positive in the + and negative in the - with the jumper from - to shield. Otherwise if the jumper isnt in, i get no reading.

Even if i soldered a new wire from pin 1 and took the jumper off from pin 1 and pin 3, it be the same thing with the jumper on the dsp like they even show on the manual.
I understand all that, and don't have an explanation why it isn't working. Are you saying you are not willing to get standard balanced cables to resolve your issue, or am I misunderstanding you?
post #2887 of 2890 Unread Today, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I understand all that, and don't have an explanation why it isn't working. Are you saying you are not willing to get standard balanced cables to resolve your issue, or am I misunderstanding you?
Lol no im willing to order the cables. I just dont see why it isnt working with this cable. Like is this a faulty dsp?

Here is my dmm on with a 40hz test tone

Here i have the channel muted. I tried to get everything in the picture. Same voltage.

Now i broke the jumper on the xlr from pin 1 and 3 and soldered a brand new wire pin 1. No its wired like a balanced cable. Im going to hook this up and see if it works. If not then i think i have a bad minidsp and i got it last week but finally got the power souce few days ago and now im here.

post #2888 of 2890 Unread Today, 05:25 PM

Well i hooked it up.

And end result.. nothing.. again.
post #2889 of 2890 Unread Today, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Your multimeter is in DC mode. It needs to be in AC mode to measure an AC signal.
post #2890 of 2890 Unread Today, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
Your multimeter is in DC mode. It needs to be in AC mode to measure an AC signal.
I'll retest it in the morning. I did both settings. If i recall both were the same. Thanks for the input I'll post up what i find. Hoping is just the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page