Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 106 Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks!

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Worth the effort!

A good tool is getting a proper honing.

And it is getting tougher to tweek the outputs. That is a very good sign.

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #33 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I can't get any of the versions to fully work in OpenOffice.

Are you sure the scripts are working? If you scroll down on the first page there will be 3 cells around row 40. The top two should be the same, and the bottom ~0. in one version they were background colored, but they are there. It they are not zeroed out the horn length will be off.

post #34 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM

I'm not home right now but I'll check when I get there tonight. Have you enabled the macro security feature?

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #35 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the main script on the first page that sets the end correction, and length doesn't work automatically in OO.

In a new version of the sheet I added a Button to automate finding the idea HC, as David McBean suggested. When that button is used it redoes the first script, and corrects it when it doesn't work right here. If you use the button it self corrects the non-working script, but you can't manually set your own HC.

In Excel it redoes the calculation every time any open cell in altered. I haven't figured out how to get it to work the same in OO yet.

post #36 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Is the circled area what you were refering to soho?

Attachment 189502

Mark
LL

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #37 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's it. The default is zeroed out, because I saved it that way. If you change any parameter on the page in Excel it will automatically readjust these numbers to zero out again. This is the needed horn length, after mouth correction is added.

In OO for me it will not do this. I can go in, and run the macro manually, and this works fine. The problem seem to be that OO's version of Basic does not allow a Worksheet_Change sensing setting like Excel does. In OO you have to set up a "listener" script to monitor the area of interest, and then it can run another script if it "hears" a change. For the life of me, I can not get it set up properly.

post #38 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM

So I have to install excel I guess.

Unless there is another freeware spreadsheet program that will run this stuff.

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #39 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nah, I'll add a button you can click in OO for the time being. I'll put it up in a bit.

post #40 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm looking for competitive spreadsheets. There are not to many!

I'm trying some java based bean counter thingy. See what it poops out.

But I will greatly appreciate the OO port of the spreadsheet.

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #41 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Master Soho

Gnumeric seems to run this correctly. I just downloaded it and gave it a run. The numbers in the script are at 0

What other checks can I do to make sure it is working correctly?
Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #42 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update v5a is out.

There are Excel, and OpenOffice versions. The OO need Excel macro compatibility turned on until I get full StarBasic scripts going.

This version also adds a push button HC to Fo matching, if you dislike doing it manually. (It auto sets the two orange cells for you )

post #43 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post

Gnumeric seems to run this correctly. I just downloaded it and gave it a run. The numbers in the script are at 0

What other checks can I do to make sure it is working correctly?
Mark

First thing is just to change the LC. E42 should then be 0, and the two cells above it are the same.

The new numbers to the left are the Auto Equalize checks. G40 will hit go to zero after the Auto button is pressed.

The rest of the math is a pretty simple, and done in the cells themselves. As such there shouldn't be any problems with another program using them.

I just downloaded the Windows version of Gnumeric, and it doesn't do macros at all, so it's a no go.

This is why I hate using scripts.

post #44 of 106 Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Well I stand by me being a spreadsheet moron. But the new 0.button for OO does work. So it's hard to complain now!

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #45 of 106 Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, a new version for Excel is up. (In the OP)

Hopefully that is the last one for awhile. I added a new Nd/OD horn profile for giggles. It follows the HYP flare better, as it isn't tied down by the TH needs, or folding considerations.

Mark, the OO version will be up in a bit.

post #46 of 106 Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Now I feel really special!

Thanks Soho.

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #47 of 106 Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The OpenOffice v5b1 is up now.

Remember to hit the manual change button after you change anything. Still learning the StarBasic commands, but I'll get rid of the button as soon as I can.

You can use the new horn profile on a TH too. Just get the horn info in, and alter L12 & L45 to equal the TH section outputs with the HR wizard while S2 Variable is on.

post #48 of 106 Old 10-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Sweet! Thank's Soho.

I just downloaded it. Have a busy day today. But I will take a good look at it and ask some questions.

MArk

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #49 of 106 Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

v5c on both.

Reactance Annulling should really be there in force now.

post #50 of 106 Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Wow just got home and there is already a version to make the last obsolete!

Impressive!

MArk

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #51 of 106 Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Wow just got home and there is already a version to make the last obsolete!

Impressive!

MArk

Each new day brings an even better way to achieve an excellent horn design

explore the music
post #52 of 106 Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Master Soho

I installed excel. You are doing enough work on this as is. I really appreciate it. So anything I can do to make things easier.

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #53 of 106 Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I finally got around to playing with this today, despite being in a candy induced haze for most of the day.

This spreadsheet is awesome

post #54 of 106 Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, for the kind words guys.

I just uploaded the completely redone v7 to the OP. New look, and a few new bells and whistles.

For now the Horns are output as CON, and the BP/T-TQWT are PAR. The 1/4WL is still based on the straight HYP. I am having trouble getting the program to allow you to switch from one to the other right now, but when I get it going you will be able to select your own poison.

There is also a new auto button to find the flare from the LC and HC.

Re is not necessary at this time. The scripts to run the Mms and Res extra parameters are also not in at this time. I removed them to try and get the segment profile change done first.

post #55 of 106 Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Soho, if we can judge a book by its cover then this version is definitely the coolest! Time to get tweaking again and see what the differences are in hornresp thanks again

explore the music
post #56 of 106 Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 AM

I'm downloading this one and looking before version 8!

What happened to 6?

Thanks Soho!

Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #57 of 106 Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Very nice! But you may have answered this before: Isn't a rectangular cross-sectioned segment of horn with two parallel sides best modeled as PAR vs CON? I have not thought the math through, but I thought this was why McBean added the PAR profile in the first place...

JSS
post #58 of 106 Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What happened to 6?

Version 6 I'm holding. It is pretty much v7, only it is still in the old format. I'm holding it should this one not go over well. It also only has the PAR, and EXP math. It took me a bit longer to get the right CON outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Isn't a rectangular cross-sectioned segment of horn with two parallel sides best modeled as PAR vs CON? I have not thought the math through, but I thought this was why McBean added the PAR profile in the first place...

PAR is the best choice for some, but not all. If you are doing a single flare horn, and are only building with a single rise/run then it is best.

It's all about how close the total volume in the sections are in reality, to what you are modeling.

Here is a demo with a super curved target horn, to make things stand out better. This is what we are after.

OK, now let model it with a single flare rate with CON, and PAR. Then export the horn, and draw it up in a 3D program of some sort, and compare to the original. PAR-black, CON-green

Both leave a lot to be desired, and they will both contain a pretty different volume. If you used the CON(or EXP) flare here you will not get what you simed exactly.

OK, lets go with two flare rates. This is what most HR sims really are. The small changes at the throat some use are a drop in the bucket really. My spreadsheet four section TH defaults are more like this. The others, are the former.

Now the difference isn't so great, and the two different styles of getting there are a lot closer.

What if we used a less ideal center point? Here are two examples.

As you can see this makes a big difference, and is where most trip up. This is what you have to alter in order to get all three flare types to work the same in HR. - Now if you are building a horn around a PAR building style, and are siming the FR to taste, then of course PAR is the best choice.

Let's add one more section.

As you can see, both are pretty good approximations by this point.

All you have to do is understand where/what you are compromising, and then choose from there.

post #59 of 106 Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OH yeah, you can still use this one like the old one by just inserting 1 into the S2 & S4 for 4 sections, and S2 & S3 for 3 section enclosures.

That should be an option again as well. Next time around.

The only functional difference here is a change in the Qms equation. It is the straight equation right now. I had time to run a larger sample group, and the old one didn't average out right anymore.

EDIT: the Re for the Anarchy is also off here. It should be 6.4, so don't let it mess with your head.

post #60 of 106 Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54 View Post

Now if you are building a horn around a PAR building style, and are siming the FR to taste, then of course PAR is the best choice.

Let's add one more section.

As you can see, both are pretty good approximations by this point.

All you have to do is understand where/what you are compromising, and then choose from there.

Cool, that's what I thought. I do use a PAR building style; just wanted to double-check.....

BTW - Great explanation. As soon as our Aussie buds get those TB 8" drivers measured, I'll sketch up some wall-mounted 20Hz horns for 'em....

JSS
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page