fschris's Avatar fschris 07:54 PM 04-26-2012
more pics...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
fschris's Avatar fschris 07:55 PM 04-26-2012
wanted to glue up back and bottom today... ran out of time.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 04:09 AM 04-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

wanted to glue up back and bottom today... ran out of time.

Its frustrating the way it all goes together and the inablity to clamp and move on makes this build a long process........

I think end result is worth it though..........
fschris's Avatar fschris 12:42 PM 04-27-2012
I'd love to see how these were manufactured and built on one of those "how its made' shows on Discovery.
fschris's Avatar fschris 08:07 PM 04-30-2012
coming along.

got it all sanded up

installed terminals

installed acoustic treatment
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
fschris's Avatar fschris 08:09 PM 05-01-2012
Got the Hurricane nuts installed. With my ghetto drill press guide!

Finished 2 coats of 50/50 tite bond / water

Before I did the sanding I ran some wood filler over all the seems then sanded hoping to blend the seams.

If that does not work well... Next time I will use Bondo car filler or something!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 04:16 AM 05-02-2012
Nice Drill press! :P
fschris's Avatar fschris 08:28 PM 05-03-2012
almost DONE!
LL
LL
LL
fschris's Avatar fschris 06:34 AM 05-06-2012
Big thanks to the OP who was able to get me started on this project.

Now I have some Towers to build!
LL
airliner's Avatar airliner 09:46 AM 06-03-2012
Is the volume behind the internal brace a second area or is just part of the inner volume, in other words, can I change the shape mantaining the same inner volume and vent domension and length?
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 10:13 AM 06-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airliner View Post

Is the volume behind the internal brace a second area or is just part of the inner volume, in other words, can I change the shape mantaining the same inner volume and vent domension and length?

Its part of the sub enclosure, the window brace is just there for bracing.
airliner's Avatar airliner 12:50 PM 06-03-2012
So as long as I understood from all my reading on the forum if I mantain the same vent dimension, the same volume, and adequate bracing, the response shouldn't be so jeopardized, am I correct? Marco
And thanks!
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 02:13 PM 06-03-2012
Quote:

So as long as I understood from all my reading on the forum if I mantain the same vent dimension, the same volume, and adequate bracing, the response shouldn't be so jeopardized, am I correct? Marco
And thanks!

Your logic is sound, but mileage may vary.....
airliner's Avatar airliner 02:20 PM 06-04-2012
???????
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 03:57 PM 06-04-2012
Quote:

???????

If you mean building as close as possible to the original design and keeping to the aforementioned parameters as close as possible, yes your results should be good.

If your considering radically changing dimensions while keeping enclosure volume and port tuning the same, it might be similar it might not.......

Main Important Variables:
  1. Enclosure volume.
  2. Port volume, shape, length, and flare characteristics.
  3. Bracing.
Sorry I wasn't sure how radical a departure your considering. If your building as close as possible to the original then your results are ensured, the more you variate so will your results.
airliner's Avatar airliner 12:04 PM 06-09-2012
MFW long vers.pdf 52k .pdf file
I did design the sub maintaining the same internal volume, as stated on the first page 2.75/2.9cft, The port, same width 16 3/4 by 1 1/2, same lenght.
airliner's Avatar airliner 10:12 AM 06-13-2012
Ok, my result building on a shape similar to the one I posted are: volume with no brace and no speaker 2.8cft, vent 44.6". It should make quite similar.
I'm building one in the next few days and will let you know
Marco
fschris's Avatar fschris 08:38 PM 06-15-2012
airliner keep us posted and post some pics
airliner's Avatar airliner 03:57 AM 06-18-2012
Problem: I was taking my MFW driver home from Newark airport, unfortunately TSA opened my suitcase and did not replace everythingh correctly in. Now the driver cone has a few dents, not holes. Is it going to work still? If not I have to find a new driver or a substitute one.
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 04:03 AM 06-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by airliner View Post

Problem: I was taking my MFW driver home from Newark airport, unfortunately TSA opened my suitcase and did not replace everythingh correctly in. Now the driver cone has a few dents, not holes. Is it going to work still? If not I have to find a new driver or a substitute one.

It should work fine.  Is the dent in the dust cap(center bubble)?  If thats dented you can use a vacuum cleaner to attach and suck it back out.  You really won't see that much pressure on the cone of a ported sub so if there are dents elsewhere they should be fine.  I guess technically it could affect the T/S parameters of the driver, especially resonance, but In this application i don't think it will be appreciable.

airliner's Avatar airliner 04:20 AM 06-18-2012
thankyou:)
airliner's Avatar airliner 08:26 AM 06-19-2012
I am home:)
I was checking again the cone, and in one of the dent, the stiffness of the paper seems to be damaged, I'm building anyway the sub, but in case wich driver can substitute the MFW?
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 09:14 AM 06-19-2012
fschris's Avatar fschris 11:42 AM 07-12-2012
Nick,

What do you think about doing some mods to the MFW clone. You have any idea if something like this would be able to get lower and deeper and stronger bass?

I wonder If I could drop into the baffle.

TC Sounds Axis 15Q1 15" Quad VC Subwoofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-642

Chris
NicksHitachi's Avatar NicksHitachi 12:07 PM 07-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

Nick,

What do you think about doing some mods to the MFW clone. You have any idea if something like this would be able to get lower and deeper and stronger bass?

I wonder If I could drop into the baffle.

TC Sounds Axis 15Q1 15" Quad VC Subwoofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-642

Chris

Hi Chris,

Model it in 3.0ft3 tuned to 18-19Hz and see how it looks.  The TC drivers are tanks but take some juice to get them to move so youll have to factor that into their total cost.  I have modeled the Titanic 15 in this enclosure and it looks pretty good and takes a lot of power staying under excursion limits, the HF and HO would be good options too, but I can't remember how they look in the model with respect to excursion etc.

One cheap mod you could do is glue in some MDF bracing strips on edge between the baffle and window brace.  That is a rather large unbraced panel.  Also I found I preferred the sound of the MFWs with quite a bit of stuffing, Polyfill is what I used.  I stuffed the entire cavity behind the window brace pretty full, but not tight.  You could add a little on the bottom shelf under driver where port comes out front too if you wanted.  It seemed to tighten it up a little and sounded a bit deeper to me.  I didn't measure the differences and I don't think it affects extension all that much, I just preferred the sound.....  Or maybe it was psychoacoustics.

You try it and let me know what you think!

fschris's Avatar fschris 12:30 PM 07-12-2012
Thanks , poly fill sounds like a nice cheap mod to try. After I get My zaphs built, i will invest in a MIC to do some testing.
First ... 2  3  4

Up
Mobile  Desktop