Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #8281 of 10627 Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I didnt see any more posts from him about that CD. I saw that mention and wondered more. I had been looking at the Radian 951 1.5" for my SEOS 24's. SO I am still interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 10627 Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yeah, Al (USSpeaker) swears that the 951 is gonna be a world beater. It's actually just started shipping this week. It's a bit more expensive than the 4594 drivers, but if it truly is what they say, it should be worth it. I have been pondering one over the last week, just to try. The only concern I have is the midrange...the claim on the 950, side by side with BMS was that the Radian mid range was better and the BMS top end was better (all subjectively of course). I am just curious if the mid range on the 51 series has the same performance now with the new diaphragm or did they sacrifice a bit of midrange for top end. I would think it's still top notch, but it's a thousand dollar experiment for one of them.
post #8283 of 10627 Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny things is I never saw a good price on the BMS 4594ND. So thats why I was looking at the Radian. I know John(AE) and Ivan(DSL) have both have said great things about the BMS. SO I think either will be a win for me. It will be more of a "what fits in my budget." So essentially what ever is the cheapest is the one I will buy.

Chop what was the price for your BMS?

I think I asked this before. Sorry if I did.
post #8284 of 10627 Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Funny things is I never saw a good price on the BMS 4594ND. So thats why I was looking at the Radian. I know John(AE) and Ivan(DSL) have both have said great things about the BMS. SO I think either will be a win for me. It will be more of a "what fits in my budget." So essentially what ever is the cheapest is the one I will buy.

Chop what was the price for your BMS?

I think I asked this before. Sorry if I did.

Sent ya pm.

Lots of experienced folks love the 4594, which is what drove me to try it. It's significantly less than the Beryllium Radian.
post #8285 of 10627 Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Any chance for a Radian group buy or BMS group again?

Secondly, what is needed to order a WG from Erich?

I only ask because I know Erich is busy and he was not able to respond back from my PM. I am hoping to get a pair of SEOS 24's on this GB. I just dont know what I need to do on the DIY site. I dont want to miss out either. And lastly how long does the order take to come in?

I am in no hurry but want to have some sort of idea. Thanks to anyone who can help.
post #8286 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Erich would have to give you the time line, but usually a couple of months or more...depends on how quickly the pallet fills up and is ready to ship. All you need to do is go to diysoundgroup and place your order. I would pm Erich on there and just ask if he's ready to start the order to Poland first.

We can absolutely do a group buy on Radian, and I'd be happy to organize it. BMS, group buy is an option, but the distributors requirements make it a bit difficult and I don't have the ability to collect $$ from everyone and make one lump sum payment as he requires. The other difficulty on BMS is that the shipment needs to be broken down once received at port and then shipping costs assessed to each buyer from there. It seems like a good opportunity to do a Radian buy and give them a shot. Again, I'd be happy to handle that one, I have a good relationship with the distributor for them. If for any reason the BMS distributor decides to lighten the load on the customer for a group buy, I'd be happy to organize that one too.
post #8287 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd imagine that there would only be a handful of people ordering on the Radian GB. Mainly for their 951 CD's. Anything smaller and Erich has those covered. BUT I could be wrong. I myself will have to settle for the 951Pb and not 951BePb. But thats ok with me. biggrin.gif My pockets are shallow compared to most on this DIY section.

Also I only see on the DIY website a preorder for the SEOS-10, 12 and 15. Nothing else. BUT on the GB section you can see who is getting what sent on the pallet. SO IDK where to go from here.
post #8288 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I sent Erich an email as well. I don't believe there is a current GB. The list that is on there is the last one I believe.

I can't decide if I just want SEOS 18's to max out the 1.0" CD offering or step it up to the 24 and look at the BMS 4595 or larger CD offerings like the BA. You guys are getting to me!

If I hear anything back I will let you know. I am in the same area as Erich (I am in Indy) and it has been ideal conditions for grass to grow and everything else, so I am sure he is buy with his day job. He did mention that he would get a Poland GB going when the SEOS 15's were coming in though a few pages back so I would guess it would be organized soon.
post #8289 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I am more intrigued with the RADIAN 475BePB offering. I have a pair of the 950BePBs. However, the biggest drawback of CD's are typically the top end. The throat diameter limits the top end regardless of the driver, so I am particularly intrigued with how the 1" berrylium drivers stack up.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #8290 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

I sent Erich an email as well. I don't believe there is a current GB. The list that is on there is the last one I believe.

I can't decide if I just want SEOS 18's to max out the 1.0" CD offering or step it up to the 24 and look at the BMS 4595 or larger CD offerings like the BA. You guys are getting to me!

If I hear anything back I will let you know. I am in the same area as Erich (I am in Indy) and it has been ideal conditions for grass to grow and everything else, so I am sure he is buy with his day job. He did mention that he would get a Poland GB going when the SEOS 15's were coming in though a few pages back so I would guess it would be organized soon.
I believe the SEOS-18 will also be available with a 1.4" throat this time around.

Mike
post #8291 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
"... I'd imagine that there would only be a handful of people ordering on the Radian GB"

Radian makes some very respectable cone drivers as well. For example their coaxial 10 inch has my respect! If the GB was opened up beyond CDs I expect that there would not be a problem pulling in $10K or more for the buy. Just my thoughts ...
post #8292 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Ok thanks. I just re-read Erichs post and he mentions there that there is GB on the SEOS 10, 15, Anarchy woofer and CD's. SO I guess the SEOS 24's are not ready for preorder yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post

"... I'd imagine that there would only be a handful of people ordering on the Radian GB"

Radian makes some very respectable cone drivers as well. For example their coaxial 10 inch has my respect! If the GB was opened up beyond CDs I expect that there would not be a problem pulling in $10K or more for the buy. Just my thoughts ...

Well thats good to hear Carl. I dont know much about their lineup other than CD's. So maybe there is a chance at getting the GB. Chop.....biggrin.gif
post #8293 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly, plus the Radian distributor is really cool to deal with, so I imagine it wouldn't have to be an obscene amount to get significant discounting.

Quote:

Ok thanks. I just re-read Erichs post and he mentions there that there is GB on the SEOS 10, 15, Anarchy woofer and CD's. SO I guess the SEOS 24's are not ready for preorder yet.
Well thats good to hear Carl. I dont know much about their lineup other than CD's. So maybe there is a chance at getting the GB. Chop.....biggrin.gif

The seos24 won't be on a preorder for a long, long time I would assume, if ever. You can order anytime (fiberglass) and have them shipped from Poland. There could be a group buy coming up that Erich hinted at, which would make shipping a bit better, but I don't think at the moment it makes sense to spend the amount of money it would cost for plastic production 24s....I'd love it if they did though smile.gif
post #8294 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post

I am more intrigued with the RADIAN 475BePB offering. I have a pair of the 950BePBs. However, the biggest drawback of CD's are typically the top end. The throat diameter limits the top end regardless of the driver, so I am particularly intrigued with how the 1" berrylium drivers stack up.

+1

Good point, and I'm intrigued wrt the Radian as well, academic interest, but interest nonetheless.

Either way (BMS, Radian), I'm guessing one could be quite happy.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #8295 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

How hard would it be to make the SEOS 24's matte black?

I like black over white. So matte would be best but if not gloss is fine also.
post #8296 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Radian makes some very respectable cone drivers as well. For example their coaxial 10 inch has my respect!

Perusing the offerings, the Radian coax that really sticks out is the mega-expensive 5312BeNeo, a fascinating mix of elements. I'm in awe of what's been created here in the SEOS effort, and being well aware of what the CD approach has to offer, I'm a huge fan here and appreciative to all involved. However, as a Seaton Catalyst owner, I'm also fully aware of the benefits of a coaxial throw of the image energy into the room. An entirely different approach, but somewhat similar to the CD, one enjoys the off axis benefits utilizing a coaxial MF/HF.

Anyway, anytime I see an interesting coax, I'm always thinking what could be made from it ..., and I'd really enjoy a well executed SEOS comparo to the Cat12s.

Thanks

post #8297 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

How hard would it be to make the SEOS 24's matte black?

I like black over white. So matte would be best but if not gloss is fine also.
I believe it's only available in gloss, but in a variety of colors.

Mike
post #8298 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well gloss it is then. No problem.
post #8299 of 10627 Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'll be updating the group buy page in the next couple days so people can make sure they're on the list.
post #8300 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Perusing the offerings, the Radian coax that really sticks out is the mega-expensive 5312BeNeo, a fascinating mix of elements. I'm in awe of what's been created here in the SEOS effort, and being well aware of what the CD approach has to offer, I'm a huge fan here and appreciative to all involved. However, as a Seaton Catalyst owner, I'm also fully aware of the benefits of a coaxial throw of the image energy into the room. An entirely different approach, but somewhat similar to the CD, one enjoys the off axis benefits utilizing a coaxial MF/HF.

Anyway, anytime I see an interesting coax, I'm always thinking what could be made from it ..., and I'd really enjoy a well executed SEOS comparo to the Cat12s.

Thanks

The 5312beNeo looks fantastic. I'd love to get a listen to it for comparison with something like my TD15M seos12/dna360. Of course, the Radian, even with discount is twice the cost of each of mine....not saying that will mean anything performance wise, but should be considered. I may experiment with the 951Be in the mains over the winter, if so, I'd grab one of these to play with too.
post #8301 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Basically, I'm not sure it would be a BA-750 anymore with a total swap of the diaphragm because I'm not sure what beryllium diaphragms can handle. And the whole point of that model is to be a 1" CD that can handle low crossover points.

Assuming the same thickness / concavity etc, I imagine there is no reason a Be would be any less effective - Be is a much stiffer material than Ti.
post #8302 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'd be worried that it would take quite a few custom samples to get everything to match up with the original BA-750 diaphragm.
post #8303 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

The 5312beNeo looks fantastic. I'd love to get a listen to it for comparison with something like my TD15M seos12/dna360. Of course, the Radian, even with discount is twice the cost of each of mine....not saying that will mean anything performance wise, but should be considered. I may experiment with the 951Be in the mains over the winter, if so, I'd grab one of these to play with too.

Chop, sounds great.

If one had the wherewithal, it would be fascinating to assemble a multi-box, modular vertical stack of cabs. With ample DSP and amp channels, the ability to mix and match specific sections, measure, align and voice the system from the LP (we hear so dramatically different than we measure*). In addition to fleshing out differing tonal presentations and driver to driver polar match ups, it'd be interesting to determine the subjective appeal of a SEOS based top end, vs. a coaxial based approach, vs. a Beyma pleated ribbon, etc. Who knows, but I'm guessing it'd be tough to beat a quality compression driver/SEOS, mated to quality LF support, those curves are so smooth.

Wth, nothing but wherewithal, proper tools, time and of course the technical chops, standing in the way. tongue.gif

But seriously, getting a grasp on how impactful these high end drive units are, and how much they matter at typical residential room SPLs, would be something I'd be interested in. More specifically, where one needs to focus their financial efforts, and where one can save a buck or two. Also, the manner in which the different approaches affect the sidewall contributions if of interest to me.

*(I don't know much, but I do know we have the ability to discriminate, whereas the mic sums all the complex direct/reflected energy dependent on phase and amplitude)

Anyway, if you do experiment, keep us informed.

Thanks

post #8304 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I would love to do it, but the seosr frankenstein project will take all I have for time through the winter I;m sure. Matt is fine tuning the dual woofer version and once that's done, I'll have more than enough work. I got bit by the bug bad and can't help myslef from buying more gear when I haven't even finished what I have biggrin.gif

I have to agree FOH, having heard many seos designs, they are great. They were really my first experience into diy audio and high efficiency products....now I can't stop spending money biggrin.gif
post #8305 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Anyone here try any of the FaitalPro Keyton polymer compression drivers?

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #8306 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Will someone please link me to more info on the Karma-10. I dont seem to be able to find anything AFA builds(detailed) or a published FR.....

Thanks,

Nick

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #8307 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 807
^^ That's because all the action is in one model up. :-)

more seriously...i'm not aware of them either.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8308 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 90
LOL, im looking at them for surrounds ;-P

They look like a good fit for me. High sensitivity, SEOS12 so voicing should be sumilar to my mains and low price ;-)

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #8309 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 807
ah, touché.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8310 of 10627 Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I think that's the one Erich fiddled with. He sent me the goods and I had a look. He says it was a total fluke but it was some nice work. Has a highesh XO which can be good and bad. That's partly how he kept costs down I think.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page