Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

For me the fun, excitement, and joy is catering my system to my listening needs. I wouldn't need a graph to know carp is bass heavy if i listened to his system. I honestly have no idea why one has 6, or 12, or 18 subwoofers. I may not understand why anyone would want to listen to sub 15hz material , but I can appreciate someone shooting for a goal and achieving it. I frankly have heard (well felt) strong sub 15hz but i don't enjoy it. It makes my stomach quesy. Just like going down a roller coaster which I never do either.

I am guessing here... but I think midbass kick for some goes back to a concert experience. I have only gone to about a dozen concerts but when I went to metallica , acdc, and even rush, I remember the chest thumping bass. I don't really remember (concerts where awhile ago now) deep down sub 30hz bass much. If we graphed the concert my guess is they are running 15-20db louder at 70-120hz then 25hz. Maybe someone here has worked the sound for a concert and can chime in.
The concert aspect has definitely influenced some of my pursuit for extreme midbass. I love the FEEL of drums kicking me in the chest but at the same time I don't want the vocals ripping my head off. That's where house curves, midbass modules, and lots of overhead both in amp power and cone area come into play. Some would greatly prefer flat but as Carp had mentioned depending on how some material is recorded, flat might not convey the impact as one would experience live, and if live is your reference it'll take some work to achieve that at home.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I would remind some of you guys wanting that "live" concert sound, is what you are really listening to is "live" being run through giant sets of speakers in a large auditorium! To me, "live" is actually listening to the drum kit for instance, up close and personal, so I know what a snare drum and ride cymbal is supposed to sound like. They don't melt your ears, and a kick drum doesn't really thump your chest. For the most part, that is my frame of reference for listening.

That being said, the best speakers are actually the ones that YOU like when playing YOUR music/movies in YOUR house, at the volume of sound YOU like!

And what others think sounds "best" might be irrelevant. We are all alike, but we are also all different. cool.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

I would remind some of you guys wanting that "live" concert sound, is what you are really listening to is "live" being run through giant sets of speakers in a large auditorium! To me, "live" is actually listening to the drum kit for instance, up close and personal, so I know what a snare drum and ride cymbal is supposed to sound like. They don't melt your ears, and a kick drum doesn't really thump your chest. For the most part, that is my frame of reference for listening.

That being said, the best speakers are actually the ones that YOU like when playing YOUR music/movies in YOUR house, at the volume of sound YOU like!

And what others think sounds "best" might be irrelevant. We are all alike, but we are also all different. cool.gif

To me, what you're describing sounds more like 'acoustics unplugged'...

Live to me is, yes, giant auditoriums with giant speakers... and yes, KICK in the Chest! tongue.gif

Semantics... heh!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Customs fees, duties, customs entry fees, bond fees, more fees, extra fees.......$2,478.32 over the cost of shipping fees. rolleyes.gif

The container is indeed in Cincinnati but I just got that bill today. The broker, forwarder, or what ever is in California (91748). Tomorrow I'll do a 2 day FedEx on a cashiers check to get it there quicker. But I don't think they will get the payment until Friday, and for some reason, they'd rather not do wire transfers.

Obviously they won't release the container until they get the custom's payment, so now I'm doubting it will get delivered to my place this week. Bummer. I guess that might mean Monday on the 23rd, but they only leave the container for a day before charging a lot of money to "rent" it. So looks like Christmas Eve will be a busy day of unloading large boxes.....hundreds of them. biggrin.gif

Erich

I have offered before, so I will again. I just live in Indy, so would be happy to pop over and help however I can. Just let me know!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Erich

I have offered before, so I will again. I just live in Indy, so would be happy to pop over and help however I can. Just let me know!

I would help too. I'm just outside Chicago so probably a 4-5 hour drive for me, but I'd come down for a few days to help out too. I would love to help.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 348
if I lived closer id just move into the warehouse and sleep in a tent
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 744
There was a vacant one bedroom 'apartment' above part of the front warehouse. But early this year a friend of a friend knew a couple that needed a place to stay. I told them if they fixed it up they could live there for free for a year or two. I could always tell them time was up....and we could just have a free revolving 1 week stay at the DIY Sound Group compound for AVS members! Come help for a week and leave with your choice of 7 free flat packs. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Okay, I couldn't kick them out, but it would be a funny situation.

It might sound neat to come by and help, but I'm not so sure it would be too exciting, plus it's not a classy place yet. And you guys would think I've lost my mind if you saw all the audio gear and flat packs. I've gathered up quite the collection, and even MTG90 was a bit surprised when he came here.

Truth be told, the past couple months have shown that I really need to hire someone full time to help package, build neat stuff, and do audio experiments. There's really no way I can handle much more by myself once all the new stuff arrives. There is someone that stops down on occasion to help package the heavier flat packs, but that's just not going to cut it for what I want to do. It's hard to believe, but there are over 7 new designs right now that I can't even get on the site. That's not helping anyone, or giving enough credit to the designers. So I've got to get some things figured out very soon to really get this moving.
Gary Lightfoot likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was a vacant one bedroom 'apartment' above part of the front warehouse. But early this year a friend of a friend knew a couple that needed a place to stay. I told them if they fixed it up they could live there for free for a year or two. I could always tell them time was up....and we could just have a free revolving 1 week stay at the DIY Sound Group compound for AVS members! Come help for a week and leave with your choice of 7 free flat packs. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifOkay, I couldn't kick them out, but it would be a funny situation.
Oh, you don't have to kick them out. Just let them know from time-to-time there will be "visitors," that these "visitors" might be a little "different" than regular folk with their obsessive loud music playin' and whatnot, and that they might stay a while.

Who knows, this might even provide a little incentive for your guests to get motivated to find their own, more suitable accommodations at some point. wink.gif

and we could just have a free revolving 1 week stay at the DIY Sound Group compound for AVS members!
The "DIY Sound Group Compound?" Jeez, it sounds like you train terrorists there! DIY people seem to name every other DIY speaker, project or person with some goofy name, so somebody can surely come up with a better name than that! biggrin.gif
[/quote
+++
Edited: And just so everyone knows, I'm the one who gave Sibuna the "+1" for his post further upstream for making me laugh so hard that I nearly spewed my Pepsi on the computer screen after he posted this:

if I lived closer id just move into the warehouse and sleep in a tent (Sibuna)

Man, that was funny. ROTFL!

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 AM
eXa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Heck, i would come from Norway to do that..
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm thinking of retiring soon, and that sounds like a neat place to do it - I'm in the UK but willing to move. smile.gif

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was a vacant one bedroom 'apartment' above part of the front warehouse. But early this year a friend of a friend knew a couple that needed a place to stay. I told them if they fixed it up they could live there for free for a year or two. I could always tell them time was up....and we could just have a free revolving 1 week stay at the DIY Sound Group compound for AVS members! Come help for a week and leave with your choice of 7 free flat packs. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Okay, I couldn't kick them out, but it would be a funny situation.

It might sound neat to come by and help, but I'm not so sure it would be too exciting, plus it's not a classy place yet. And you guys would think I've lost my mind if you saw all the audio gear and flat packs. I've gathered up quite the collection, and even MTG90 was a bit surprised when he came here.

Truth be told, the past couple months have shown that I really need to hire someone full time to help package, build neat stuff, and do audio experiments. There's really no way I can handle much more by myself once all the new stuff arrives. There is someone that stops down on occasion to help package the heavier flat packs, but that's just not going to cut it for what I want to do. It's hard to believe, but there are over 7 new designs right now that I can't even get on the site. That's not helping anyone, or giving enough credit to the designers. So I've got to get some things figured out very soon to really get this moving.

Erich

We know you are a nut job and who cares what the place looks like. There are many here that I know would help. There was another that contacted me from Indy and I am sure he would come up with me and we could knock out whatever you need done. I would not come up there to be entertained. I have benefited from this effort from you greatly and I want the chance to give back in whatever way I can.

Heck, I will go shovel or plow snow so you can work on this stuff if you want me to.

You just gotta let me know, cause I don't know where or when. It's inly 1.5 hour drive for me.

It would be more for me than for you honestly. I don't like buying from you because you choose not to make money. It is not good for the market, so this would be a way to make me feel better about it.

Plus, I could pickup my SEOS 15's! One less packing and shipping to do there! Maybe even pickup a couple of coax flat packs (Wink wink), pay with cash, saves paypal fees, and not have to ship. I also need to give some money to you for shipping and handling the bms cd's that you so graciously took care of.

Where and when? PM me if you want to.
wvu80 likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Im in Columbus, I could help a few weekends no problem! The wife is out of the country until late February!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

Erich

We know you are a nut job and who cares what the place looks like.
There are many here that I know would help. There was another that contacted me from Indy and I am sure he would come up with me and we could knock out whatever you need done. I would not come up there to be entertained. I have benefited from this effort from you greatly and I want the chance to give back in whatever way I can.
You silver tongued devil.

(respectful snip!, for brevity)

It would be more for me than for you honestly. I don't like buying from you because you choose not to make money. It is not good for the market, so this would be a way to make me feel better about it.

Where and when? PM me if you want to.

Plus 1 for your entire post! What he said, Erich.

Nater 1, if you decide to go, give me a call and we can ride down together from Columbus. I live near Marietta, OH in southeastern Ohio so it's 2 hours to Columbus for me.

Erich, I can give you a couple of days over the holidays just after Christmas, which would include an overnight stay. I can get a room somewhere, you don't have to put me up with your house guests. rolleyes.gif

Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I would totally volunteer for a couple flat packs! Plus just the opportunity to learn about speaker design a bit and how the whole process Erich goes through would be worth it in itself.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

Quote:

and we could just have a free revolving 1 week stay at the DIY Sound Group compound for AVS members!
The "DIY Sound Group Compound?" Jeez, it sounds like you train terrorists there! DIY people seem to name every other DIY speaker, project or person with some goofy name, so somebody can surely come up with a better name than that! biggrin.gif
[/quote

Yes, I know you are not supposed to reply to your own post, but I had to immortalize this in the Hey Guys thread before this random thought left my head.

Since Batman lives in Gotham City, shouldn't Erich live in...SEOS City

Great name, right? rolleyes.gif

Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys are kind of crazy. biggrin.gif Obviously I appreciate the offer to help, but without knowing when the container will actually arrive, it would be difficult to set something up.

I sent the cashiers check to the freight forwarder with the 2 day A.M. FedEx thing so it would get there Friday before noon.......she didn't get it. I sent her the tracking number so she knew it was coming but the FedEx site gives some odd excuse. She wrote me back:
Quote:
"I have been waiting for your payment the whole day, but your envelope is still not showing delivered. The ETA for this shipment is 12/20. The last free day is 12/23. We will clear customs on Monday and if there is any additional charges occur, we will let you know. Thank you!"

So now I don't know when it will be here. She's in California. If FedEx tried to deliver again before noon on Monday she might get the check, then call here to Cincinnati and release the container. I'm guessing the container could then be delivered it Monday, unless it's too late in the day. If FedEx doesn't deliver the check and holds the envelope for them to come pick up, I'm not sure the company would drive to get it.

Who knows. What stinks is that she says the last "free day" is the 23rd (Monday). I believe that's the last day they will hold the container at their yard before delivering it. Then I have a day to unload. If I recall from last year, after the free time is up, it's like a $500 per day fee to hold that container. rolleyes.gif

The good news is that I have cleared room at the shop that should be big enough to store everything.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Like I say, I am an hour and a half away and already near my fill of "Family time"!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Erich H has pm

DIY Sound Group boot camp will soon be in session

AE GB $$$ sent 10-18-11; TD15M arrive 01-16-13, ...454 days
Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it would appear that FedEx has dropped the ball so far. I sent the cashiers check for customs fees, taxes, etc. using '2 Day AM' so the broker would get the money last Friday. It never showed up.

I called FedEx and they think the check is out for delivery today, but they also said 'it might have been delivered on Saturday'. But as of right now, the broker doesn't have the check. Obviously without the check, they won't let it clear customs. The problem is that the "last free storage day" is today. I've heard bad stories of storage fees that can be up to $500 per day for shipping containers. Hopefully things clear customs, but if the freight/delivery company is not open due to Christmas, I'm not really sure how many days they would charge for storage if it doesn't get cleared today or tomorrow. Even if it gets cleared, if the freight company isn't open to deliver the container, I might still get charged storage fees.

I called the broker and asked her is I could just do a wire transfer for the amount and then she could return the cashiers check to me once she gets it. She's going to call back. They preferred a cashiers check earlier, so who knows.

That's where everything currently stands. Basically......no idea. rolleyes.gif
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Annoying. Hopefully they cut you a break if there are fees over the Christmas days off.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hope you get it sorted. Had my fair share of storage fees in customs when shipping car parts from Germany. Luckily they took pay by phone to end the madness. Wasn't a whole container but even so was $150/day eek.gif

Merry Christmas

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

They let me wire the money yesterday because FedEx hadn't delivered the cashiers check by noon again. But that was afternoon in California, so about 3:30 here. It was too late to clear customs.

FedEx ended up delivering the cashiers check at the end of the day and they were suppose to return it back to me. The broker says they are going to cash the check instead of sending it back so they can pay any extra fees.....then they will send me a check for whatever is left over. Basically the broker can now make up any fees they want and just send me back a fraction of the initial cashiers check if they wanted to. rolleyes.gif That really stinks. I asked them to give me an invoice from any company that actually charges extra fees, not all fees on one single invoice that looks made up. She said they might not be able to do that. In other words, they will just tack on any fees they want and blame it on the other companies. The same thing happens with the pallet from Poland and why I've likely lost money on each one of those group buys. There's no way to calculate shipping correctly.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with the broker. The container didn't clear customs yesterday because it was too late, but it will today. So there will be at least a 1 day storage fee from customs. The freight company isn't going to deliver today because they don't have time, and tomorrow they are not open. She said I'll get the container 'after the holidays'. I don't know if that means Friday, or Monday. But she also said that there will be storage fees from the freight company per day as well. All of these fees add up so fast because they know you will have to pay it to get your stuff. Last year they actually charged me $125 per day for rental....as a 'chassis fee'. The chassis is the flat trailer that the container gets delivered on. You pay for the delivery quote, but they add in a fee for the actual trailer that's needed to deliver it.

All of this because FedEx couldn't get a cashiers check delivered properly when they said they would.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you considered cancelling the check?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Seems like an extortion scheme to me. mad.gif They can charge you whatever "fees" they want and you have little recourse.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ View Post

Have you considered cancelling the check?

It's a cashiers check made out to the brokerage firm. Likely already cashed anyway.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Man that's shady, got the money wired and still gonna double dip.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Time to hire some guys and go break some legs. Next time you wont have any extra fees. eek.gif
Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I also 2nd the idea of;
cancelling that check that FEDEX sat on (and hosed up).

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 12-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I also 2nd the idea of;
cancelling that check that FEDEX sat on (and hosed up).

Guys...I'm pretty sure that you cannot stop a cashiers check. It is better than cash, thats why mortgage companies require one at closing.

Erich...This really sucks , reminds me of all the unplanned expenses I had when starting up a business years ago...chalk it up to experience. Good Luck