Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 340 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #10171 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's a Lowther horn. The mouth can be any variety of flares depending on the frequencies you're trying to achieve, and its design produces longer wavelengths with the least number of folds. Doubt that is chopped, as the mid driver and horn baffle is resting between the first fold and mouth. I'd love to build a big tractrix like that. Oh, I know what you mean Bill. Lol, definitely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you look closely at the 2 pics, it's 2 different speakers.
post #10173 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sorry if it is posted but what is the fusion 15?

And Erich has anyone bought the 88 special?

If they are available I am looking at buying one depending on shipping. Do they get pretty loud like all the other SEOS designs?

I only ask because I was thinking about getting a pair of the cabinets and then just using them as PA L/R speakers also. I know they are not meant for this but I will only be setting up the center channel when watching movies. Then I will be packing it up. I also planned on a cheap PA for outdoors. Budget is always somewhat low so I figured if I could use these outdoors with a sub then I will have them perform double duties. I am sure they will be fine but I didnt know if I was missing something when it came to a dual woofer below a Horn for outdoors.

Thanks again Erich.
post #10174 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How well would a Fusion-8 kit (non-MTM) fare in a horizontal orientation used as a center channel? I am very limited by space requirements. Thanks.
post #10175 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Probably better than the MTM.
post #10176 of 10627 Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Tux, what are you doing reading the forums?!? I thought you were supposed to be working on the fusion 10 xover??? Ha ha....no but seriously how is that coming?!?
post #10177 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

actually..?
post #10178 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I would have pulled the trigger on the 88 special the other day but since they don't have an assembled crossover option it's holding me back.
post #10179 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

actually..?

Probably. Well, the single woofer will have less output, which is important in a center channel. But it'll have better off axis response. Either one will have a hole it's off axis response. The TM will just have less of a hole.
post #10180 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Sorry if it is posted but what is the fusion 15?

If they are available I am looking at buying one depending on shipping. Do they get pretty loud like all the other SEOS designs?

I only ask because I was thinking about getting a pair of the cabinets and then just using them as PA L/R speakers also. I know they are not meant for this but I will only be setting up the center channel when watching movies. Then I will be packing it up. I also planned on a cheap PA for outdoors. Budget is always somewhat low so I figured if I could use these outdoors with a sub then I will have them perform double duties. I am sure they will be fine but I didnt know if I was missing something when it came to a dual woofer below a Horn for outdoors.

Thanks again Erich.

I bought one chrapladm....I'll let you know once I have it in hand. I was going to wait for the tux1099 to become available again, but decided this would probably blend better with the Cheap Thrills I have already and I like how it's a little more compact and hopefully has a bigger sweet spot from the larger horn.
post #10181 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post

I would have pulled the trigger on the 88 special the other day but since they don't have an assembled crossover option it's holding me back.

Lots of people around that can help you with that.
post #10182 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Have any suggestions?
post #10183 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Erich, it looks like it is 8 parts in the crossover, right? Does the kit come with the schematic or is it buried in this thread somewhere?

Quote:

Have any suggestions?

I can help. Would you need them actually built for you or just need to be walked through while you're building?
post #10184 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Have any suggestions?

crossovers are really nothing special to assemble u literally just line the components up as they are in the schematic and connect the metal leads and your done if u order and need any help just make a post someone will drop in and tell u how to do it if u need help i think a lot of people are afraid to do the xo wrong that they end up getting stressed out and then end up doing it wrong its super easy.
post #10185 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

Erich, it looks like it is 8 parts in the crossover, right? Does the kit come with the schematic or is it buried in this thread somewhere?
I can help. Would you need them actually built for you or just need to be walked through while you're building?

I'd like them built so I don't need to worry about it. I'm planning on ordering 6 of the coaxials as well so it would take me forever for everything!
post #10186 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I would buy the speaker and when you get the crossover parts and diagram lay them out as best you can and pm one of the pro's here with pics. Tux, mtg, anthony, and several others are awesome at this.
post #10187 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 486
Quote:

I'd like them built so I don't need to worry about it. I'm planning on ordering 6 of the coaxials as well so it would take me forever for everything!

Are you in the gta? I'd be happy to help..

Nvm, checked your profile
post #10188 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

crossovers are really nothing special to assemble u literally just line the components up as they are in the schematic and connect the metal leads and your done if u order and need any help just make a post someone will drop in and tell u how to do it if u need help i think a lot of people are afraid to do the xo wrong that they end up getting stressed out and then end up doing it wrong its super easy.

It's not the complexity, it's the time. I'd like to work on the box, receive the parts and be done with it so I can enjoy the front 3 speakers while I build the surrounds... I'm usually very busy so any time saved would help out greatly.
post #10189 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you referring to the Volt coaxials? If so, those come with circuit boards all laid out for you. All you'd need to do is solder the components on. I had my two Volt crossovers done in about 20 minutes.

If you do end up ordering, I'd be willing to help. biggrin.gif
post #10190 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 486
Quote:

It's not the complexity, it's the time. I'd like to work on the box, receive the parts and be done with it so I can enjoy the front 3 speakers while I build the surrounds... I'm usually very busy so any time saved would help out greatly.

It's literally a 5 min job to lay out the components and another 5 to glue and solder them.
post #10191 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

I can understand the time factor very much. My Tux-1099 x-overs took a while to get done. Those are more complicated than the 88 Specials though.
I still have to finish wiring one of my 1099 boards but that's ok because I'm several weeks away from being able to start the cabinets.
post #10192 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

How well would a Fusion-8 kit (non-MTM) fare in a horizontal orientation used as a center channel? I am very limited by space requirements. Thanks.

Quote:

Interesting. So even though the orientation of the Fusion-8 speaker is horizontal and the waveguide is now sideways it still is decent? My assumption was that the waveguide had to remain in the same wide-mouth orientation to be effective.
post #10193 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The fusion 8 mtm is very good to listen to when it's horizontal. I have it and have done extensive listening. A four seat coverage is all clear and equal. If you have more then four seats across then the off axis quality starts to go off by a bit. I'd say it has about 10' of good listening coverage.
post #10194 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

The fusion 8 mtm is very good to listen to when it's horizontal. I have it and have done extensive listening. A four seat coverage is all clear and equal. If you have more then four seats across then the off axis quality starts to go off by a bit. I'd say it has about 10' of good listening coverage.

With some polar plots, you can map out where the nulls are in a room and see if the sitting position is good or not smile.gif As long as you are within the nulls by enough, horizontal is ok
post #10195 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

With some polar plots, you can map out where the nulls are in a room and see if the sitting position is good or not smile.gif As long as you are within the nulls by enough, horizontal is ok

Don't need polar plots. I've listened to a hundreds of movies in all four seats. The only problem areas are more then six feet out from centre.
post #10196 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

How much would aligning the waveguide horizontally in the Fusion-8 Alchemy MTM(or any other design) improve the off-axis response?

I was intrigued by that choice and wondered if doing something differently would have a positive impact.

post #10197 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

Yes, that would be me. biggrin.gif

I know this will come as a surprise to many of you, but many of us don't know how to read schematics. I spent untold HOURS fretting about my Cheap Thrill XO's and Fusion 10 Pure XO's, and I STILL manged to screw it up. Tux saved me.

Thanks, Tux. cool.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #10198 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

This is always a tricky subject. You can easily sit in a mild null and not realize it yet not experience the full fidelity available. It's not until the null is severe that you notice it. Ultimately orientations the waveguide horizontally probably wouldn't help. Best person to ask is Jeff. I can post measurements of a similar speaker and try to explain it.
post #10199 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried the fusion mtm vertically and it did extend the listening radius outward. No measurements but at id say you could put six seats across. I rarely have more then my wife and I and kids watching. My wife couldn't tell the difference if I put mute on.
post #10200 of 10627 Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is always a tricky subject. You can easily sit in a mild null and not realize it yet not experience the full fidelity available. It's not until the null is severe that you notice it. Ultimately orientations the waveguide horizontally probably wouldn't help. Best person to ask is Jeff. I can post measurements of a similar speaker and try to explain it.

I understand what your saying tux but here's my question. How many of us on the diy forum weekly have people over to watch movies. When we do have someone over (once a month or so) I always let them sit in the centre spots. We don't have a huge group over. If you regularly had 4 to 6 people over then I get how you would want great off axis sound. Maybe I'm in the minority with not a tonne of friends smile.gif
I look at it like the back seat of car. I rarely have adults back there so leg room isn't important to me.

Any Updates tux on whether the 1099 will be at the GTG at Joe's. Really want to hear your creation.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page