Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 350 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 348  349  350 351  352  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...
robotbunny's Avatar robotbunny 06:04 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I'm helping with another group buy of waveguides and horns from the guys in Poland.
Do you need 100% payment for the large horns up front for this gb?

-Nate

Erich H's Avatar Erich H 06:22 PM 06-19-2014
If you promise not to change your mind when they come in, you can wait until they get here. At least for guys here on the AVS forum that I know anyway.

But if it's something kind of funky then I'm not sure. Last year when I was helping with that BMS group buy, a new AVS member that doesn't really post here ordered some purple Iwata-300s, then changed their mind and those are still here. They are kind of neat looking, but as soon as I say 'purple', most people aren't interested. And I can't really get a decent picture of them because of how deep colored they are. Someone did the same thing with some big Tractrix 200's in purple as well.

I just don't want to be stuck with any more stuff that I'll never use.
cookieattk's Avatar cookieattk 06:38 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
If you promise not to change your mind when they come in, you can wait until they get here. At least for guys here on the AVS forum that I know anyway.

But if it's something kind of funky then I'm not sure. Last year when I was helping with that BMS group buy, a new AVS member that doesn't really post here ordered some purple Iwata-300s, then changed their mind and those are still here. They are kind of neat looking, but as soon as I say 'purple', most people aren't interested. And I can't really get a decent picture of them because of how deep colored they are. Someone did the same thing with some big Tractrix 200's in purple as well.

I just don't want to be stuck with any more stuff that I'll never use.
seems like u should never trust people who pick purple
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 10:36 PM 06-19-2014
Sorry I never saw but how much are the SEOS 15's?
AudioJosh's Avatar AudioJosh 06:43 AM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post
seems like u should never trust people who pick purple
YouTube (Short URL)

PassingInterest's Avatar PassingInterest 07:11 AM 06-20-2014
Honestly, I think the purple Iwatas would look phenomenal and the Tractrix in purple, as well.

If you still have them by the time I get caught up on old projects--which should be by this Fall, if my wife doesn't talk me into another remodeling project--I will be interested. This gives me time to save up for them, also.

I have no doubt that these would be a major Babe-Magnet! Or, high WAF for us married guys.

Guys are avoiding these? Seriously?
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 08:09 AM 06-20-2014
I am very curious to see some pics of the purple Iwatas now.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 08:11 AM 06-20-2014
It's a deep purple and doesn't look as bad as it's sounds. But getting a photo to prove that is not easy.

I'm trying to set up a new place to take photos and maybe I'll get something that looks okay. I might have a past photo of the smaller Tractrix on my computer, I'll check.

Here's a bad photo that doesn't quite get the full purple color:

Attached: Purple Tractrix.jpg (39.9 KB) 
pokeme's Avatar pokeme 08:22 AM 06-20-2014
Maybe you, me, someone, can assist in setting up a raffle (prepaid!) with any profits sent to the charity of the raffle winners choice for some of the obscure or *cough* rare...items. Darn, I thought I was being cute but now italics are stuck on and it's really quite annoying, because this reads like the thoughts of your favourite protagonist in a novel now.
Face2's Avatar Face2 08:27 AM 06-20-2014

JWagstaff's Avatar JWagstaff 08:57 AM 06-20-2014
that actually looks pretty nice
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 09:12 AM 06-20-2014
Mr. Face, I was looking for that picture and couldn't find it! Thanks.

That's closer to their actual look.
JohnDean's Avatar JohnDean 10:07 AM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post
Want....

Now if only I could find an excuse to buy.
PassingInterest's Avatar PassingInterest 11:04 AM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
Want....

Now if only I could find an excuse to buy.
Babe-Magnet!
Problem solved.

Seriously though, picture that on a black baffle. Yeah!
blah450's Avatar blah450 11:27 AM 06-20-2014
It is pretty cool-looking.
blah450's Avatar blah450 11:28 AM 06-20-2014
I would have opted for that color with my three 1099 wave-guides if available!
JohnDean's Avatar JohnDean 12:22 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post
Babe-Magnet!
Problem solved.

Seriously though, picture that on a black baffle. Yeah!
I'd go with a design that exposes the entire horn. Ugh. What do these cost? Can I get a discount since no one wants them?

Man I don't even have the x-over skill but it sure would look pimp in a 2 channel setup.
PassingInterest's Avatar PassingInterest 01:03 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
I'd go with a design that exposes the entire horn.
Even better! You are so right. That would look killer!
tential's Avatar tential 01:33 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
I'd go with a design that exposes the entire horn. Ugh. What do these cost? Can I get a discount since no one wants them?

Man I don't even have the x-over skill but it sure would look pimp in a 2 channel setup.
They look good man I like them but lol like you said, you need to know what you're doing if you pick something like that up.
onebadmonte's Avatar onebadmonte 01:46 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
They look good man I like them but lol like you said, you need to know what you're doing if you pick something like that up.
Not really. That horn plays low enough to mate to a low distortion subwoofer. On top of that most home receivers have the ability to cross the sub up that high, 200Hz. Those horns on a 100watt receiver, with a pair of subs, one under/behind each of the horns, off a europower 4k, would be rocking. You can use the time delay to align the subs and horns to fine tune. Most modern receivers also come with that option. You'd be surprised on how inexpensive the horn route can be.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 04:06 PM 06-20-2014
That one is a 350 and won't cross low enough to a subwoofer. Of course the same guy ordered the bigger 200 model, and smaller 1000 model......2 of each in light grey and deep purple. That was around 3 years ago and I still haven't opened up the bigger ones.

There's a pallet of stuff like that sitting on the shelves. Kind of a bummer seeing group buy funds just sitting there, but some is my fault for trusting that people will hold up their end.
pokeme's Avatar pokeme 07:19 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
That one is a 350 and won't cross low enough to a subwoofer. Of course the same guy ordered the bigger 200 model, and smaller 1000 model......2 of each in light grey and deep purple. That was around 3 years ago and I still haven't opened up the bigger ones.

There's a pallet of stuff like that sitting on the shelves. Kind of a bummer seeing group buy funds just sitting there, but some is my fault for trusting that people will hold up their end.

They look really neat, too bad the individual couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, they are fiberglass not wood? If wishes were fishes and I was independently wealthy I'd love to see a set of those up on some modern looking lexan DIY speakers. Sexy.
AudioJosh's Avatar AudioJosh 07:54 PM 06-20-2014
I really think the Iwata 300hz would make a killer system....why do I think that? Because I am working on same. Purple isn't bad, not really my cupa tea given the veneer I prefer, but not at all bad...can always paint (use some acid based wash first). The point is, these are super killer horns (both are). I am keen on getting horn loading lower and direct radiator lower in super hi-end systems
lousymusician's Avatar lousymusician 10:40 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:

The big Tractrix and Iwata 300's are too big for my room and my wallet, but if you had a set of Iwata 600's around I'd be seriously interested. Whatever the color.

If not, where is the info on the next GB?

Bill
mrevo2u's Avatar mrevo2u 10:55 PM 06-20-2014
Erich,
Judging from the response to the purple rain horns; I think you could easily sell any unsold GB items if you added a 'limited stock/rare items' section to your website. There's obviously demand.
clausdk's Avatar clausdk 11:16 PM 06-20-2014
That purple looks good. Avantgarde horn speakers have some nice colored horns as well. I like their deep blue marble ones.

Btw! Elusive 1099 up on DIYSG!
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 03:14 AM 06-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
That purple looks good. Avantgarde horn speakers have some nice colored horns as well. I like their deep blue marble ones.

Btw! Elusive 1099 up on DIYSG!
I love the look of the Avantgarde Nano with blue horn. Are there any pictures of the Tractrix horn?
Cocoboo's Avatar Cocoboo 06:19 AM 06-21-2014
Shameless plug for my Minion build,

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i...sg3487#msg3487
klipsch's Avatar klipsch 06:55 AM 06-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoboo View Post
Shameless plug for my Minion build,

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i...sg3487#msg3487
Awesome ... thanks for sharing!
Claybe's Avatar Claybe 09:34 PM 06-23-2014
Erich, just saw the karma 10 and the pure 10 on the website. The designs or baffles look similar. Can you explain the differences? Or recommend one over the other?
First ... 348  349  350 351  352  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop