post #10621 of 10627 Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
This is the same story every time I've heard the Klipsch brought up, and since I orignally was shopping the Klipsch Reference Series vs the SEOS I specifically have looked for those comparisons.

The best way I've been able to sum up comparisons after looking at them for so long is that once you build an SEOS build you won't look back at most commercial brands.
My Klipsch - vs - SEOS 2 cents worth:

I was quite pleased with my budget RF35s.
Then fired up my SEOS12's with Deltalight 2512s :

• Nice rich "mid-low range", drums etc..
  • and the biggest PLUS: Having them toed-in to the recommended 45 degrees resulted in a very wide sweet spot for all 4 front row seats (~8 away from my mains)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10627 Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
My Klipsch - vs - SEOS 2 cents worth:

I was quite pleased with my budget RF35s.
Then fired up my SEOS12's with Deltalight 2512s :

• Nice rich "mid-low range", drums etc..
  • and the biggest PLUS: Having them toed-in to the recommended 45 degrees resulted in a very wide sweet spot for all 4 front row seats (~8 away from my mains)

I'll throw in my two cents worth as well. I've compared my Seos Tempests to my father's Klipsch Forte II's which I think were the last truly great Klipsch speaker made - nothing has even come close to it in quality since. That being said, I feel the Seos is the clear winner from 80hz and up. I'm usually not a horn person in general and think most Klipsch sound extremely harsh and also have a "honky" type sound which none of the Seo's design's I've heard have. From 80hz down the Forte is the winner with more bass then the Tempest. I'm not sure if this is because the Eminence driver needed more breaking in or not but it didn't compete at all in that department.

Listening to music, the Forte became fatiguing very quickly with some music due to the honky/bright highs - the Tempests do not. The Tempests sound great with all types of music where as the Forte's really only shined with a rock/jazz type sound.

For movies it's the same old dance, both speakers are very dynamic and sound great but the Forte's simply hurt leaving me tired and fatigued after too long. The Tempest seem to have more mid bass kick then the Forte's and might be a tad cleaner as well.

Overall both speakers are great but the Seos Tempest wins in all categories except deep bass. I don't think either speaker excels in the midrange though both are still very good.
saginawjuggalo likes this.
post #10623 of 10627 Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 395
The Tempest aren't meant for full range and were designed to be used with a subwoofer. They were tuned to give more midbass than the lower bass provided by your subwoofer.

Last edited by Erich H; 07-07-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #10624 of 10627 Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post
Question: How well do the SEOS kits like the Fusion series do with recreating sound stage depth?

Years ago I recall BMW 801 Matrix speakers doing a spectacular job of creating a deep layered sound stage with orchestral music.
The interesting thing about them is the depth seems dipole-like. Width isn't anything staggering but that's controlled by moving the speakers apart.

Controlled directivity speakers when toed in to cross in front of the listener gets rid of anything that would have hit the side walls and actually can have more reflected off the rear wall. If the speakers are more than 4' from the rear walls, they can have the delayed rear reflection that increases depth. That is how I hear it. I have owned the Apogee stage which had depth mastered. It appears I have that characteristic as good as I had it before.

I doubt you will find a bad SEOS design. If you can fit the 12" then you have several great designs to choose from. I built a SEOS10/BMS 4550 with a TD10M. I'm loving life.
post #10625 of 10627 Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
The interesting thing about them is the depth seems dipole-like. Width isn't anything staggering but that's controlled by moving the speakers apart.
What is dipole-like depth?
post #10626 of 10627 Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The Tempest aren't meant for full range and were designed to be used with a subwoofer. They were tuned to give more midbass than the lower bass provided by your subwoofer.
I'm definitely aware of this but I thought it was a valid test to run them both full range considering all the reviews stating how much bass they have. Like you and many said, they need a subwoofer to really fill in the lower frequencies.
post #10627 of 10627 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post
What is dipole-like depth?
Dipoles reflect 1/2 the radiated sound off the rear wall exaggerating depth of image.
post #10628 of 10627 Old Today, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Hey,
I have had a 5.2 system for quite awhile.. Never had the space/ desire to go to 7.2.

The only spot I could place the back surrounds would be 1-2' behind me and 4' above me. If I put the volt 10 up there would it be a decent spot. I can't put them any lower. I don't want to buy another amp and speakers if its such a poor spot.

I'm posting here cuz I like the crowd
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page