Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10771 of 10792 Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 21,517
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
You could do something like the guys over at BrewPi have done. I just built one of these and it's kinda cool.



Where can I get more info on this?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10772 of 10792 Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Where can I get more info on this?
http://www.brewpi.com

The plastic case was laser cut. The direction were fantastic and it was super easy to put together. It's a Rasberri pi and an Arduino to control fermentation temperature.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
pgwalsh is online now  
post #10773 of 10792 Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Noman74656's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
You could do something like the guys over at BrewPi have done. I just built one of these and it's kinda cool.



Something like that was what I had in mind. I really think it is a classy look how some tube amps have a lot of the components exposed, but very cleanly assembled.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Noman74656 is offline  
post #10774 of 10792 Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post
Something like that was what I had in mind. I really think it is a classy look how some tube amps have a lot of the components exposed, but very cleanly assembled.
The way that case fits together is great, but I'm definitely not one that has mastered the soldering skill and I'm afraid my crossovers wouldn't do a case like that justice. I know there are a few on here that could make it look amazing.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
pgwalsh is online now  
post #10775 of 10792 Old 07-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
absolootbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SW OH
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Couple more examples of exposed and/or external crossovers. There's plenty out there if you look around a bit.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...nal-Crossovers

Stentorian build

absolootbs is offline  
post #10776 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 21,517
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I like external crossovers. They just seem cooler. And easier to upgrade or tweak later.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #10777 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Why build a crossover when you can just go fully active! Lol, I wish I could, I just don't know how to set it up.
Ugh, still waiting to hear back on selling all my speakers so I can pick up 2 Tux-1099s. It's traumatizing, I just want to hear the magic words "Yes, I'll buy all of your speakers, and EVEN the subwoofer too."

I noticed the Karma-10s are taken down. That's a shame, now that I understand EricH's idea behind them, I've recommended them to countless numbers of people across other forums. I hope he keeps the Karma line, great for the other forums I go to where people aren't necessarily enthusiasts, but still should be able to experience the SEOS design and they generally want to hop in as cheap as possible. Better this than the BOSE speakers that people were recommending...
tential is offline  
post #10778 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Erich H is online now  
post #10779 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Member
 
niktak11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Why build a crossover when you can just go fully active! Lol, I wish I could, I just don't know how to set it up.
Ugh, still waiting to hear back on selling all my speakers so I can pick up 2 Tux-1099s. It's traumatizing, I just want to hear the magic words "Yes, I'll buy all of your speakers, and EVEN the subwoofer too."

I noticed the Karma-10s are taken down. That's a shame, now that I understand EricH's idea behind them, I've recommended them to countless numbers of people across other forums. I hope he keeps the Karma line, great for the other forums I go to where people aren't necessarily enthusiasts, but still should be able to experience the SEOS design and they generally want to hop in as cheap as possible. Better this than the BOSE speakers that people were recommending...
Aware?
niktak11 is online now  
post #10780 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 3,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
There are still plans for the Karma Line.
You're killing me! I keep hitting refresh waiting on the Fusion-15 to pop back up, but stuff keeps disappearing instead

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is online now  
post #10781 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hey Erich, Parts-Express has some buyouts on 15" woofs, for $50, and $65.

Do you think Cheap Thrills II's might be in the works? For you guys wanting a Karma 15, this might be your ticket: Original Cheap Thrills thread

http://www.parts-express.com/communi...4-ohm--299-544

http://www.parts-express.com/communi...8-ohm--299-525

http://www.parts-express.com/communi...4-ohm--299-532

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice

Last edited by wvu80; 07-24-2014 at 08:50 PM.
wvu80 is offline  
post #10782 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
The new Fusion-15 hasn't been posted yet. There were some very slight tweaks that the designer wanted to make before it was 100% done.

I got pictures of the new 8" dual woofer models last weekend, but still haven't had time to get them posted. Packing up the 1099's kept me busy.

Teaser photos.....







There is another one, but I'll wait to post that photo. You might be able to figure it out though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alchemy_tower2.jpg (47.5 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Alchemy_MTM.jpg (50.1 KB, 241 views)
Gary Lightfoot and Noman74656 like this.
Erich H is online now  
post #10783 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
Hey Erich, Parts-Express has some buyouts on 15" woofs, for $50, and $65.

Do you think Cheap Thrills II's might be in the works?

I've seen those, but they don't have enough to justify a design. Under 100 pieces for each one.

If one of those woofers is good, people will start buying and they wouldn't last very long.
Erich H is online now  
post #10784 of 10792 Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I've seen those, but they don't have enough to justify a design. Under 100 pieces for each one.

If one of those woofers is good, people will start buying and they wouldn't last very long.
I'm not a numbers guy, but what I was wondering is if one of the buyout 15" woofs would simply "drop in" in place of the Celestion?

I was just curious. It's probably not worth spending a lot of time wondering about.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
wvu80 is offline  
post #10785 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Unfortunately the chance for that to work would be very slim. The past Celestion buy out was kind of an unusual woofer.
Erich H is online now  
post #10786 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
erwinfrombelgium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The old Fusion 15" was 2.5 cubic ft. I hope the new one is of similar size?

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and SEOS-24 LCR.
erwinfrombelgium is offline  
post #10787 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by niktak11 View Post
Aware?
Very.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The new Fusion-15 hasn't been posted yet. There were some very slight tweaks that the designer wanted to make before it was 100% done.

I got pictures of the new 8" dual woofer models last weekend, but still haven't had time to get them posted. Packing up the 1099's kept me busy.

Teaser photos.....

There is another one, but I'll wait to post that photo. You might be able to figure it out though.
Any preliminary specs on these?

And I pick the top design.
---
On the Alpha, it seems 3 way high end designs (That can be converted to center channels) make the most sense for the "high end" line. You already have Fusion, Karma (Lowest Price Point Possible while retaining your quality level with simple crossover), and Alpha feels like it should be differentiated from the Fusion line.
2 way speakers with no sub/center channel doesn't seem like that many people here are running systems like that (most posts here are running surround sound usually). 3 way high end drivers seems the best way to separate the 3 lines so they all have their own purpose.

Last edited by tential; Yesterday at 03:01 PM.
tential is offline  
post #10788 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
That's sort of the way I was leaning on the Alphas. But possibly not using expensive $500 woofers in the bottom. I was debating which way it should go a few pages back, but after lots of thinking, 3 way designs that can be converted to center channels fairly easy seemed like the best idea for now.
Mfusick, chalugadp and Jag Gill like this.
Erich H is online now  
post #10789 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
That's sort of the way I was leaning on the Alphas. But possibly not using expensive $500 woofers in the bottom. I was debating which way it should go a few pages back, but after lots of thinking, 3 way designs that can be converted to center channels fairly easy seemed like the best idea for now.
Woah.... Expensive man, not break the bank! Happy to hear that. They'll be using the new Compression Driver then?
tential is offline  
post #10790 of 10792 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Woah.... Expensive man, not break the bank! Happy to hear that. They'll be using the new Compression Driver then?
What is "the new comprerssion driver?"

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
wvu80 is offline  
post #10791 of 10792 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Does anyone know the ports that Erich uses in the Tempest kit?

I like the look and thinking of using them in my TD12M/SEOS build.

Is it this one?

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...3-4-l--260-409
smokarz is online now  
post #10792 of 10792 Old Today, 10:20 AM
Member
 
niktak11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
what is "the new comprerssion driver?"
fl-450
niktak11 is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off