Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 394 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > DIY Speakers and Subs > Hey guys...we need a little rallying here...

DIY Speakers and Subs

doc5150's Avatar doc5150
09:56 AM Liked: 15
post #11791 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 79
Erich, I would agree with suggestions that emails directly to you have to stop, give access to someone you trust to sort them out. Important ones should only come to you. That is just way too many emails to sit and read/answer. This is DIY and people cant expect you to do every little thing for them. BTW, great job on what you already do, I will be buying your speakers when I can.
CodyO's Avatar CodyO
11:16 AM Liked: 13
post #11792 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 64
I'd also like to help out. Being in Atlanta puts me a little to far out for the grunt work, but I can put together CAD drawings of anything you need, from enclosure layouts to connect-the-dot crossover layouts for designs without a PCB. (I did them for the Karma-8 I built last year.) From some of the previous posts, it sounds like those may help out with the questions. If its something you'd like to do all I would need is a bag of crossover parts and the schematic. (Even if it's just hand drawn.) After I put it together I'll ship the parts back to you for use in a kit.

Also, I plan on documenting my Volt V-6 build as I work on it this week and can put together a good quality video on assembling the crossover if you'd like (my roommate's hobby is short films). I'm also putting together a layout for a standard enclosure and can easily shoot you pdf's (and CAD files) of the layout and a rendering of the final enclosure if you'd like them.

Basically, let me know what you'd like to have on the Volt V-6 build process and I can put it together for you.
wvu80's Avatar wvu80
11:36 AM Liked: 102
post #11793 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I will volunteer as a FREE employee (for lack of a better word). I am retired with business experience. I.T. senior network admin, Director or I.T. with knowledge in Photography and basic electronics. If you need anything, let me know. I live about 4 hours away, we could meet on a weekend and go from there. I can assist with Photographs and documentation. Perhaps create a structure to cut down on questions. (snip)
What a great resume, and a great offer. Speaking for the DIY community, I will say thanks to you for that gracious offer. In my opinion, you are offering the Priority #1 in terms of support that Erich could benefit most from. I sincerely hope he takes you up on your offer.
+++

If we all ran a large scale DIY business as a hobby and knew what Erich knows, and felt what Erich feels, I suspect we might come to the same conclusion and just shut things down for a while to try to stop the feelings of being overwhelmed and frustrated. Erich would not feel that way if he didn't care so much, and try so hard for others.

Erich, all of us here who have benefited from knowing you through emails or from the service you provide to the DIY community wish you nothing but success and happiness. And if there is anything you need that we as a group might be able to supply to "pay it forward", please ask.
Boxozaxu's Avatar Boxozaxu
12:30 PM Liked: 92
post #11794 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 393
I checked out the FAQ at DIYSoundGroup and it looks good but I would never have known it was there/updated if I didn't read about it here. I think it's a good idea to take the site down and address all this now.

I echo the recommendation for a crowd sourced model to create the documentation. It's a lot of work for one person to do. May even be impossible considering the breath of info that one person would have to gather. I was shocked how much work it required just gathering sizes/specs for a few enclosure diagrams. Everything spread across multiple websites and dozens of threads and I still got a few things wrong. While the DIY site is down someone with strong organization skills should work with you to come up with a documentation template (or start a thread to come up with the template) and then start a thread for each speaker, gather the info and then transfer it to the DIYSoundGroup wiki. Going forward each new speaker design would get a new wiki page based on the template and a new thread.

Most importantly, having a process to refer emails to the wiki and FAQ page is critical otherwise nothing will change. I think coolgeek nailed it on the head with his process but that's your call. FYI: I posted a question in the DIYSoundGroup forum early this year because I had yet to purchase something and I didn't want to bug Erich. The only reply to my question was a suggestion to send Erich a PM for the answer.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
01:26 PM Liked: 1251
post #11795 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I will volunteer as a FREE employee (for lack of a better word). I am retired with business experience. I.T. senior network admin, Director or I.T. with knowledge in Photography and basic electronics. If you need anything, let me know. I live about 4 hours away, we could meet on a weekend and go from there. I can assist with Photographs and documentation. Perhaps create a structure to cut down on questions. ie. The fusion line is designed for bla bla bla. The Volt line is designed for bla bla bla. etc. A brief summary of each design. You really need structure and documentation and that takes time. Set up the web pages just like the large retailers do. While also stressing this is a DIY and items/plans are subject to change. You know, the standard disclaimer.
The generosity of guys on the AVS forum never ceases to amaze me.
DotJun's Avatar DotJun
07:42 PM Liked: 61
post #11796 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 1,012
Let's have a contest. Everyone interested go ahead and put together an instruction packet on how to build a crossover from kit form. Do this in any manner you wish, cad, video, crayon drawings...

Post them up here and poll for the winner. Highest poll obviously gets submitted to Erich for final approval.

Sounds like a fun AND helpful project if you ask me
artyusmce's Avatar artyusmce
08:48 PM Liked: 13
post #11797 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 209
Just an idea from DIY sub stalker; Erich and chalugadp you could both go the BFM route I would think beteween the DIY sound group and the MArty cubes it would be enough to draw interest.

then again more work but with some reward and ability to control the interaction.

LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast
09:18 PM Liked: 303
post #11798 of 11801
Yesterday | Posts: 4,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Everyone interested go ahead and put together an instruction packet on how to build a crossover from kit form.
Easy as can be:
Pay $21 for an assembled one.

Michael
DotJun's Avatar DotJun
12:35 AM Liked: 61
post #11799 of 11801
Today | Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Easy as can be:

Pay $21 for an assembled one.

Michael

Oh I agree, but some people don't want to pay for that.
coolgeek's Avatar coolgeek
03:25 AM Liked: 148
post #11800 of 11801
Today | Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Oh I agree, but some people don't want to pay for that.
I would and I am willing to bet lots of ppl would.
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm
04:02 AM Liked: 105
post #11801 of 11801
Today | Posts: 3,006
If a budgeted for it I wouldnt mind paying for it. I just have a much smaller budget than everyone else on these forums.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Subscribe to this Thread