Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 402 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 506Likes
post #12031 of 12035 Unread Today, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 172
^Google baffle wall whitepaper:

This has some good info:

http://www.procella.citymax.com/f/Pr...n_v2.5_Web.pdf

While elaborate baffle wall construction techniques exist and are employed with great success. The major attributes which must be addressed on the baffle wall are to make the baffle approximately equal to or larger than the half wavelength of the frequencies that you want to contain into half space(2 pi) and to construct such containment to be of adequate mass and rigidity to contain the wave. I have found 2x4 studs covered with 3/4 MDF to be substantial enough to contain the wave, but some transmission to the back space occurs and should be addressed.

If the space behind the baffle wall is to be sealed you should consider damping it with absorption to reduce any resonance/transmission.

It is recommended to cover the face of the baffle wall with some form of absorption, especially behind the screen assuming it will be a front PJ AT screen.

If doing a curved wall remember that the screen is flat and all that accompanies that scenario unless employing a curved screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 12035 Unread Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm noticing some differences from my old coaxial based speakers (JTR Quintuple 8) and the new waveguide/seos based speakers and am not sure if I'm mistaken.

There are 3 differences (in order of most noticeable compared to a speaker that costs 6x more):
1. Sound stage (Mostly the height) - Feels like sitting up or slouching a little big can make the sound less enveloping. The width/imaging seems to be less sensitive but still more susceptible to alterations (ie. toe in, listening position.)

2. Top end vs upper mids - I feel like the top end clarity is a bit rolled off or less sharp. Still very clear but some things I know can have more "sizzle" are just not 100%. Also, the upper mid area (my term not sure of the range) seems to almost be pushing out more because of the top end. Not sure which is causing which to be noticeable.

3. Mid-bass/"fullness" - This is totally expected... 1 10" vs 5 8"...

I know I am not the best builder and I know these speakers COMBINED cost barely over HALF of ONE of the JTR... So over all it is VERY impressive...

My question:

Is the sound stage I am noticing a general property of waveguide speakers or could something else be causing it?

The sound stage and upper end have me considering if the 1099 would be a better fit for the sound I am use to.
post #12033 of 12035 Unread Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Which SEOS speaker do you have?

Do you have any measurements?

All large format two ways with only two drivers have vertical nulls. Your JTRs were probably better in that regard due to their WCW alignment. You should measure and make sure your not sitting in a null. The WCW would probably be better at mitigating floor and ceiling bounce which matters a lot. Is you room treated at all?

The high frequency stuff your talking about sounds like a voicing thing to me.
post #12034 of 12035 Unread Today, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
I'm noticing some differences from my old coaxial based speakers (JTR Quintuple 8) and the new waveguide/seos based speakers and am not sure if I'm mistaken.

There are 3 differences (in order of most noticeable compared to a speaker that costs 6x more):
1. Sound stage (Mostly the height) - Feels like sitting up or slouching a little big can make the sound less enveloping. The width/imaging seems to be less sensitive but still more susceptible to alterations (ie. toe in, listening position.)

2. Top end vs upper mids - I feel like the top end clarity is a bit rolled off or less sharp. Still very clear but some things I know can have more "sizzle" are just not 100%. Also, the upper mid area (my term not sure of the range) seems to almost be pushing out more because of the top end. Not sure which is causing which to be noticeable.

3. Mid-bass/"fullness" - This is totally expected... 1 10" vs 5 8"...

I know I am not the best builder and I know these speakers COMBINED cost barely over HALF of ONE of the JTR... So over all it is VERY impressive...

My question:

Is the sound stage I am noticing a general property of waveguide speakers or could something else be causing it?

The sound stage and upper end have me considering if the 1099 would be a better fit for the sound I am use to.
I would have been very surprised if you hadn't noticed some specific differences ( considering the component types & their layouts ) when comparing the two designs .

An MTM setup ( based around a point-source coax ) ought to give much better imaging depth ( assuming the design is properly implemented ) . Sound-stage width should be broader ( though shallower ) with the SEOS waveguide . The T8 should give a taller more coherent image ( that holds together longer as a person changes their vertical position ) .

If JTR used a coax in their T8 housing a metal diaphragm ( & I don't know if they did ? ) , then that could play into an audible difference ( at least for me ) compared to the plastic diaphragmed drivers ( I find the metal types a bit crisper ) .

post #12035 of 12035 Unread Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
Oh goodness! I am sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I just figured that rather than clog up the forum with a bunch of questions, that it would be better to use PM. Perhaps I am wrong, sorry for that.
That is what forums are for. Any questions, and subsequent answers/information to those questions make the forum stronger for all. A PM is selfish... like only you are privileged to the info. PM should be for "private" conversations only. Sorry to come off like a jerk, not my intention. I think I am just a little sensitive to the PM thing. I've been raped a bunch of times with it.

Sounds like you got some great info already (even though this thread isn't about baffle walls). I think if you dig up a search in the dedicated forum you'll find everything you need, and if you have a question start a thread asking it, or bump a thread on the the topic of baffle walls.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page