Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 407 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 561Likes
post #12181 of 12206 Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakishlyTall View Post
Honest question: Have a missed a public, "here's a screamin' cheap, simple, all-parts-readily-available way to get the intellectually and philosophically super-cool SEOS12 into your life" design?
Part of the problem is that finding an inexpensive 12" woofer that will do the job isn't easy. If anyone can find a $25 woofer that performs like the "budget" Eminence drivers ($85?) and somehow gets by on a simpler crossover then your low budget build will be a reality. PE's current pro 12" buyout drivers are ~$50 so that doesn't save much. Hmmmm...then there are the 15" buyouts...

It would be nice to see an "ewave" package with the SEOS components and a generic crossover (with adjustable L-pad) for those that want to experiment with vintage (or budget) woofers since about the only way to really save $ is to get a "free" woofer and cabinet. Of course those of us inclined to do this already ordered the SEOS 12 and DNA-360 and have been hacking away with the assistance of many of the fine folks here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 12206 Old 02-20-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Erich any word on if you will get any DNA-150 cd's in?

I need some screw mount CD's still and the 150 is perfect. BUT if this is still not possible I will just look at using something else.
post #12183 of 12206 Old 02-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Any reason a pair of the Fusion-6 Vibe speakers wouldn't be good desktop computer speakers? Would raise the speakers so the tweeter is at ear level. Will be using them with a subwoofer.

Matt

Last edited by SilverSPL; 02-21-2015 at 09:12 PM.
post #12184 of 12206 Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSPL View Post
Any reason a pair of the Fusion-6 Vibe speakers wouldn't be good desktop computer speakers? Would raise the speakers so the tweeter is at ear level. Will be using them with a subwoofer.
No those are great speakers. One of my favorite diysg builds.
post #12185 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
CD and waveguide not ideal for near field IMO.

They are better for larger theater distances.

I'd reccomend one of the smoother dome tweet style builds. You want something to sound nice at low levels and close distances, the fusions are opposite of that.
post #12186 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think Tux mentioned before the coaxial Volts would make great nearfields like computer speakers. Their even wide off-axis response should mean you can move chair anywhere or collaborate with another user at the desk.
post #12187 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Check out the helium's in the parts express project that at tech talk.
post #12188 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post
I think Tux mentioned before the coaxial Volts would make great nearfields like computer speakers. Their even wide off-axis response should mean you can move chair anywhere or collaborate with another user at the desk.
The Hitmakers and Dunham's are supposed to be great kits for this application.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits.html

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #12189 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
CD and waveguide not ideal for near field IMO.

They are better for larger theater distances.

I'd reccomend one of the smoother dome tweet style builds. You want something to sound nice at low levels and close distances, the fusions are opposite of that.
In general I agree. However I do own the Fusion Vibe and have used them in a medium size bedroom setting and also on my desk in my office. They work great in either setting and are on of my favorite sounding DIYSG speakers. They are small speakers for use wherever you would use small speakers IMO.
post #12190 of 12206 Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks for all the replies. I will check out some other speakers without waveguides.

Matt
post #12191 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Update:

It turns out that making changes to the site didn't really cut down on the emails and kit questions as much as I thought. I'm sure a good chunk of that is my fault for not being able to better explain the speakers and what they are best designed to do.

I've decided to move forward with the AVS subforum that we were talking about a few pages ago to see how that goes. My thought was to make 'sticky' threads for things like:

Fusion Kit's
Coaxials
Cabinet Assembly
Crossover Assembly
Photo Gallery
What is SEOS
Upcoming Items
Help choosing a kit
FAQ's

Basically they're going to be locked threads that can slowly gather information as people post in this forum and in the subforum. When people post helpful info or pictures in their builds I will copy/paste things into the subforum's 'sticky' threads so that it's all consolidated for easier access. If people post questions in the subforum they can be answered and then myself and/or a few chosen mods can put that question and answer in the FAQ's section, then delete the original question. That way it won't get clogged up with the same questions over and over. I think this will eventually help everyone out so there's no more hunting for info or pictures on specific kits.

Lots of people have offered to help in the past and I think there are a lot of people here that can help explain things or layout things much better than I can. So if anyone has input on what the main sticky threads should be or how to organize things better, please let me know. I believe they allow for a moderator or two, so if anyone is interested, I'll see what can be done.

This will hopefully lower emails so I can spend more time working on neat speaker kits.
post #12192 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

One requirement was that AVS needed a name and logo for the subforum. Obviously the current logo for the DIY Sound Group page just wasn't going to cut it.

Lucky for me forum member Mr. LikeLinus was willing to help out with a new logo (I haven't figured out how to put it on the current website yet).

After he made up a crazy number of different examples we narrowed things down and he kept tweaking until this was the final product:

I'm not sure how everything else will work out with the subforum yet, but it should get started soon.

I'm open for any ideas at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIYSG Logo - Color  (Medium).gif
Views:	213
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	582345  
post #12193 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot something else. AVS wanted a quick description of the subforum. This is pretty much where I stink at explaining things without getting long winded.

Maybe something along the lines of:

'A community driven (network or organization) set up to bring you high end sound.......bla bla bla save money, bla bla bla."

You can see that I stink at that. Any ideas?

Oh, and I also wanted to remember to put up a Recognition Page so that everyone that has helped with any aspect of the SEOS project, kits, site, photos, logos, etc can be listed using their screen names or real names. I think that's important to do.

We might need a Group Buy page too.
post #12194 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
One requirement was that AVS needed a name and logo for the subforum. Obviously the current logo for the DIY Sound Group page just wasn't going to cut it.

Lucky for me forum member Mr. LikeLinus was willing to help out with a new logo (I haven't figured out how to put it on the current website yet).

After he made up a crazy number of different examples we narrowed things down and he kept tweaking until this was the final product:

I'm not sure how everything else will work out with the subforum yet, but it should get started soon.

I'm open for any ideas at all.
Erich,

Sorry that the email portion of this endeavor remains such a challenge.

That said; the plan described above sounds like a great approach, and although I lked the previous logo; this new one is pretty catchy, props to Mr. Like Linus ! Hopefully; this plan will help you move forward with more satisfaction from your tremendous (and appreciated) efforts!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #12195 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There was a logo made up for the actual SEOS waveguide a couple years ago which will go somewhere. But the logo used on the DIY Sound Group home is the one that will be replaced.
post #12196 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Good luck ... I doubt the emails and kit questions will stop with the subforum, but I hope I am wrong
post #12197 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Maybe something along the lines of:

'A community driven (network or organization) set up to bring you high end sound.......bla bla bla save money, bla bla bla."

You can see that I stink at that. Any ideas?
Shorter is better.

The DIY Sound Group is a community of speaker designers and builders who are devoted to building loudspeakers with the best design and technology available, while keeping costs within budgets any enthusiast can afford.
doc5150 likes this.
post #12198 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 69
it seems too obvious to mention that an FAQ page and or glossary with active links could allow visitors / inquiries for initial searches wrt the general sections etc.

my denon X5200 manual does this. The process of someone thinking ahead of me gets informed results much faster,
let me walk my way thru it . . .

and a search, how many keywords could there possibly be ? . . .

if a valid question wrt keyword not anticipated appears, some editing can add it in

call me linear thinking

small businesses need lots of hats . . .

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU
Klipsch FL/FR: F3 , Center: G-28 , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR :Icon 36 Towers, TF & TR: SLX
FH :RB51's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
SHARP 80" LED/LCD, Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #12199 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This will hopefully lower emails so I can spend more time working on neat speaker kits.
Every email to you should generate an auto-reply that includes something like this..

Thank you for your interest....blah blah blah...I simply cannot read and reply to every email in a timely manner....blah blah blah...please expect a delay of 5-7 working days for a response.

However, great minds think alike and your question or something similar has been asked before and you are quite likely to find the answer in our FAQ section in a few minutes....maybe it will take you an an hour or two...but much faster than waiting days on me.

FAQs and other stuff...(obviously copied from your earlier post and perhaps much more focused on answering the time killing routine questions you get)

Fusion Kit's
Coaxials
Cabinet Assembly
Crossover Assembly
Photo Gallery
What is SEOS
Upcoming Items
Help choosing a kit

Home Theater fans vs Audiophiles....two men enter, one man leaves...or can we all just get along?
Can I use a ButtThumper 5,000 watt woofer instead?
Do you ship to Australia, Canada, Europe...alternate sources?
Why kits instead of parts?
Obsolete, NLA, and kits that never were and never shall be
Why won't someone design a custom crossover just for giggles?
Exotic SEOS designs...bring your credit card and your cabinet building skills
Reuse of vintage woofers and/or cabinets
Posting while intoxicated...it happens here too.

Active user forums...(add links..maybe)

General speaker design questions (toss them back to PE Tech Talk Speaker Building Bible?)

...and then somehow end with DIY SoundGroup is all about about the DIY part...and that means YOU have to do some of the education on your own since that is what seperates DIY from Best Buy.
post #12200 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

^

nicely expanded and expounded upon, Sir

h3lluva organized mindset . . .

Klipsch FL/FR: F3 , Center: G-28 , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR :Icon 36 Towers, TF & TR: SLX
post #12201 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post
Every email to you should generate an auto-reply that includes something like this..

Thank you for your interest....blah blah blah...I simply cannot read and reply to every email in a timely manner....blah blah blah...please expect a delay of 5-7 working days for a response.

However, great minds think alike and your question or something similar has been asked before and you are quite likely to find the answer in our FAQ section in a few minutes....maybe it will take you an an hour or two...but much faster than waiting days on me.
Do I sense a "tone" in this post?
post #12202 of 12206 Unread Yesterday, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

with so many heaping (much deserved) praise on DIYSG for customer service ,
it would seems that things could only get better with a future customer having well organized info wrt to purchase decisions
more involved doing it yourself . . .

post #12203 of 12206 Unread Today, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Do I sense a "tone" in this post?
Yes. Frustration? I can't speak for Erich but I suspect an inbox full of mostly routine (or open-ended) questions would be frustrating. I would call it a reaction to the "I want information now" mentality that causes many folks to ask a routine question via email (and expecting a prompt response) rather than spend a few minutes reading the FAQs and trying to educate themselves a little bit on a very deep subject. The key, in my mind, is having very useful links the auto-reply. Perhaps the first one should be "Why did I get an auto-reply telling me where to find more information?"
post #12204 of 12206 Unread Today, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
It turns out that making changes to the site didn't really cut down on the emails and kit questions as much as I thought.
While not surprised, I'm sorry to hear it. If I weren't such a NewbIdiot, I'd volunteer to watch an Inbox for an hour or so a day. If "responding to people and helping them make decisions" isn't one of the -fun- things of the day, turf it!

Quote:
Every email to you should generate an auto-reply that includes something like this...

*I* (my own, NewbIdiot worthless opinion) think even that is too generous. Since DIYSG is a one-man show not (yet?) built for profit and riches, why bother at all, unless it's _fun_?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to walk a line between politely dismissive and helpful, and it can be done without impinging on "customer service." Every publicly available email address could have an auto-response something like:

"Thank you for your questions and interest in DIYSG. Unfortunately, as basically a one-man show working hard to bring audio awesomeness to the DIY world, I simply don't have time to respond to every individual email right now. Please check out the resources below (list of links / forums), and if you still have questions, feel free to post in [forum]. If you have questions about an order already placed, please use the email address provided in the order confirmation. Thanks again, and happy speaker building!"

Then, maybe, *maybe*, leaf through the Inbox when there's nothing better to do, looking for actually interesting questions and deleting everything else, about once per week.

Concrete rules adhered to are likely to be more pleasant and successful overall than squishy gray guidelines that will only allow some people a way to find themselves disappointed. That is, "I don't respond" doesn't even allow the dissatisfaction of "5-7 days! Why is it soooo sloooow?!" to arise.

Quote:
Obsolete, NLA, and kits that never were and never shall be
I'd second this addition: There is frequent mention of past designs (Karma kits, to pick just one obvious example) that could still be relevant, and I bet some might enjoy reviving/modifiying NLA-parts designs. Even if DIYSG and the designers wanted to keep the designs private, they could be sold and electronically order-fulfilled to those interested in the discussions? And to put my keyboard where my mouth is, I'd happily volunteer to send out XOs and parts lists by email after purchase through DIYSG.

Quote:
Yes. Frustration? I can't speak for Erich but I suspect an inbox full of mostly routine (or open-ended) questions would be frustrating
*Especially* given that it's a one-man show (I know may designers have contributed and there's the occasional extra help, but it sure seems like most of the grunt work and money investment is one guy!), and one that has seen not only substantial personal investment but also *loss* on some projects. I'd have a different opinion if Mr. H were posting frequently about how much joy the relentless onslaught of emails brings him (e.g. "I love solving so many people's simple problems" or something), but since that doesn't seem to be the "fun part" of it all for him, it should be minimized -- or eliminated!

< end long-winded ramblings of a high-wpm newb >
post #12205 of 12206 Unread Today, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I think it's been said, but I think it would be appropriate to have a link to AVSForum where if people have questions, they can ask on the forums. I think that's the purpose of the links Erich is putting together and it makes sense. This sounds similar to the problem John from AE is experiencing where the plethora of questions hold up other things and it makes getting through the day a lot harder.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #12206 of 12206 Unread Today, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakishlyTall View Post
< end long-winded ramblings of a high-wpm newb >
Newb or not, that was some well thought out stuff. If answering emails isn't where Erich wants to be spending his time (It obviously isn't, and I think we'd all rather he spent his time contributing to speaker development and kit creation.), then passive dismissal is a perfect approach for questions not about ordering. There are resources available for getting questions answered. Politely pointing them out should be sufficient. Anybody shopping at DIYSG should have a certain willingness to Do It Himself. (Those letters didn't work out quite right, but I think you get the point.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page