Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 408 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 563Likes
post #12211 of 12217 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Maybe something along the lines of:

'A community driven (network or organization) set up to bring you high end sound.......bla bla bla save money, bla bla bla."

You can see that I stink at that. Any ideas?

Erich, I sincerely appreciate you and all the guys contributing to your site.
Maybe not in the opening statement, but early on could there be an explanation of the goals? I think I understand that there is a trade off between bass extension vs linear response and output. So since most builders are using subwoofers the speakers are tuned to roll off around 80hz in order to maximize output and linear response above 80. Is that right? And then I think I understand the enclosure height is so a center channel can sit below the screen. Is that right? Murray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12212 of 12217 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
The DIY Sound Group is a community of speaker designers and builders who are devoted to building loudspeakers with the best design and technology available, while keeping costs within budgets any enthusiast can afford.
I like this.

Mentioning community suggests the synergy; the peer-to-group, group-to-peer, peer-to-peer help that people give; and egalitarian nature of "if you come up with a good design, that people want, you can get it listed in DIYSG for better of all.

The multi-tiered pricing/quality system is handled by saying that "keeping costs within budgets".

And the eminent design and quality parts sourcing on models is represented by "best design". Plus the community is never afraid to say, "Can we do better?" and "Why is this better?"
post #12213 of 12217 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 877
I like that too but made a slight change. How does this sound:

"A community of speaker designers and builders devoted to bringing you the best loudspeaker design and technology available, while keeping costs within budgets any enthusiast can afford."

They wanted a subforum title so I just told them:

DIY Sound Group - Loudspeakers and Subwoofers

Maybe that should be shorter because I'm not sure it will fit on one line.

They asked for the logo to be 140 x 140, so that needs some modifications. They also asked for a banner type ad? No idea how to go about doing something like that. Honestly, I'm not really concerned if there's one of those anyway.

They also asked if there were going to be any admins or moderators. If anyone wants to try that out, let me know.
post #12214 of 12217 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Erich what do you need the Admins/Mod's to do for that forum?

I am a mod on HTS so it would be very easy to do the same on this forum also. Let me know.

Last edited by chrapladm; Today at 06:28 AM.
post #12215 of 12217 Unread Today, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I like that too but made a slight change. How does this sound:

"A community of speaker designers and builders devoted to bringing you the best loudspeaker design and technology available, while keeping costs within budgets any enthusiast can afford."

They wanted a subforum title so I just told them:

DIY Sound Group - Loudspeakers and Subwoofers

Maybe that should be shorter because I'm not sure it will fit on one line.

They asked for the logo to be 140 x 140, so that needs some modifications. They also asked for a banner type ad? No idea how to go about doing something like that. Honestly, I'm not really concerned if there's one of those anyway.

They also asked if there were going to be any admins or moderators. If anyone wants to try that out, let me know.
I just sent you an email. Don't sweat the banner or logo, I can create all of that.
post #12216 of 12217 Unread Today, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I should say that I don't actually mind getting emails and answering as many as I can. The problem is that there's no way I can get to all of them and I'm sure some people think I'm being a jerk, which isn't the case.

I just checked the number of emails I've sent out since Sunday night to Wednesday at noon......183. That's about 2.5 - 2.75 days and 66-73 emails per day. That's a lot of computer time. I have no doubt that it takes up 2-3+ hours per day at this point. A good hour in the morning, some at lunch, another hour or more in the evening.

Then time contacting people that order flat packs for kits when they didn't actually buy the kits and explaining they don't come with baffles because baffles come with the kit. I do mention that on the flat pack pages and also mention that they aren't available for purchase without the kit purchase. Doesn't really help.

Or they just order the crossover assembly....with no kit purchase or crossover parts to assemble.

Or they order one Fusion-8 center channel but then order a crossover assembly for the Fusion-12 because they heard that the lower crossover point in the Fusion-12 might be better. That's fun to explain.
Not to be negative nelly but have you considered that's you've made it too big and too noob friendly to the point you've got people buying stuff that's shouldn't be DIY yet?

Having a sub forum removes all the posts from this forum ? Seems like both forums will be a ghost town. Not sure a sub forum is a great idea. Is the point just to lighten the emails you get for your business ?

I don't believe you can police or correct stupid. Some people are just stupid. There's always an HTPC build question in the dedicated theater forum or a subwoofer question in the projector forum. I don't think you'll even be successful at getting everyone's build thread and DIY stuff into one forum, they are going to want to post here to show it off or ask questions to the veterans. That's a lot of mod moving DIY group threads into the right area. If you need help with that (you will) I'll help or sign up for moderation. I'm on here all the time anyways, wouldn't be too much trouble. No way it's going to work without that.

You might want to consider you've grown this thing and made it accessible to the point it's too much now for it not to be a real business officially. In all essence it really is. There is no denying it anymore.
post #12217 of 12217 Unread Today, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Erich, can you give me any information regarding the FL450? Is it similar to the BA750, and if not, how does it differ? With all else being equal, speaking strictly of sound quality, how would you compare the FL450 to the BA750 to the DNA360?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page