Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 868Likes

post #12691 of 12695 Old 08-30-2015, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I may have sent you a reply already, I'm not sure without a name. I get a lot of people asking about shipping to other countries. Most end up using a shipping forwarder and I have some listed in the FAQ's page.

It's not very easy shipping to other countries because many orders are different and will weigh different amounts. So the only way to get an accurate cost is to package it up, get the weight, and go to the US Post Office to see. I did that quite a few times and then the shipping quote I get is higher than the person was expecting. So I end up having to unpack what they wanted which is a real pain if you ever see how I package stuff.

Other companies can sort of just guess and be off by quite a bit because their stuff is marked up enough to cover those types of issues. That's not always the case with the stuff I have.

If it's a standard kit I can usually guess pretty close what it will weigh and the size of the shipping boxes because I do write that stuff down.

But as of now my FedEx account is only good inside the USA, so that's why most use shipping forwarders. Some must have pretty good rates.

Ideally there would be a group buy per country and I could just ship a pallet of waveguides or other parts to someone there. They would be cheaper because I can subtract off Paypal fees and packaging materials.
Yes that was me. Thank you for the response. I did read the FAQ but I don't know how these "Shipping Forwarders" work that's why I asked.
I have shipped a lot of things to Brazil when I lived in the US usually by USPS or UPS. The last thing I shipped was a Chromebook, I double boxed it and it was only U$47 insured and with tracking by USPS but this was about 3 years ago.
So I guess USPS would be just fine. I'll reply to your email for more details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 12695 Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I may have sent you a reply already, I'm not sure without a name. I get a lot of people asking about shipping to other countries. Most end up using a shipping forwarder and I have some listed in the FAQ's page.

It's not very easy shipping to other countries because many orders are different and will weigh different amounts. So the only way to get an accurate cost is to package it up, get the weight, and go to the US Post Office to see. I did that quite a few times and then the shipping quote I get is higher than the person was expecting. So I end up having to unpack what they wanted which is a real pain if you ever see how I package stuff.

Other companies can sort of just guess and be off by quite a bit because their stuff is marked up enough to cover those types of issues. That's not always the case with the stuff I have.

If it's a standard kit I can usually guess pretty close what it will weigh and the size of the shipping boxes because I do write that stuff down.

But as of now my FedEx account is only good inside the USA, so that's why most use shipping forwarders. Some must have pretty good rates.

Ideally there would be a group buy per country and I could just ship a pallet of waveguides or other parts to someone there. They would be cheaper because I can subtract off Paypal fees and packaging materials.
After failing attempts to have you ship stuff to me, I now just ordered and had it sent to Reship.com. That went perfect. The kit pair is still with DHL here in Belgium, but that's because of a misunderstanding on their part (I live above a shop which was closed past week although there is a note up explaining where to deliver - the delivery folks often are analphabetic so it seems).

So, +1 for reshipping. Shipping cost was $126 each kit. Seems normal for such big heavy boxes (with dual 10" woofer).
I will order another pair soon.

Slowly building a 9.2.6 HT: ◤SEOS-24◥ BMS 4594ND/dual Beyma 18P80Nd [tri-amped LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX [6 Atmos] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • miniDSP 4x10HD [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [2] • XMC-1 • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU

My build
post #12693 of 12695 Old 08-30-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
I don't understand the hassle of boxing up a driver / wg and shipping it USPS with tracking & signature.. It's literally just as easy as going to fedex.
Sorry, it's not even close.

The FedEx account I have ties in with the website shopping cart program. So it calculates shipping very close. The customer pays it, I package and print the FedEx shipping label.....done.

"Erich, can you get me a price to ship 3 drivers and 3 waveguides to India?"

That package has to be wrapped up with more protection due to shipping international. Even if I can guess the end weight, I still need to get the shipping estimate. So I drive to the post office with the address from India. 10 minutes there, wait in line 15 minutes and get the total, 10 minutes back home. That's not easy finding the time when your hours don't match up with the post office.

Come back and email the person to see if they want to spend the extra $100+ for shipping. If they say no, it was a waste of time. If they say yes then it's a few more emails back and forth to get everything paid up with Paypal and a verified account. Now the stuff has to be packaged with extra packaging material and more time to be sure it can survive international shipping.

Now drive 10 minutes back to the post office with the package, wait 15 minutes in line, fill out a customs form that they look over for another 5 minutes, then drive back home.

Not counting packaging, there's about 1.5 hours extra in that order, plus fuel to ship a pair of waveguides. I realize that some of that wouldn't be a problem at all, and I've done it for some AVS forum members. But if I put international shipping on the site it wouldn't just be one or two people. And I can't imagine figuring all of that for every kit and flat packs. Basically I'd be completely overwhelmed.

That's why shipping forwarders are easier right now.

Eventually I will try to figure something else out, but I'm not sure what it will be unless things are made to cost more for those types of orders to cover having my sister or someone take care of them. I have been trying to figure it out though.

post #12694 of 12695 Old 08-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Sorry, it's not even close.

The FedEx account I have ties in with the website shopping cart program. So it calculates shipping very close. The customer pays it, I package and print the FedEx shipping label.....done.

"Erich, can you get me a price to ship 3 drivers and 3 waveguides to India?"

That package has to be wrapped up with more protection due to shipping international. Even if I can guess the end weight, I still need to get the shipping estimate. So I drive to the post office with the address from India. 10 minutes there, wait in line 15 minutes and get the total, 10 minutes back home. That's not easy finding the time when your hours don't match up with the post office.

Come back and email the person to see if they want to spend the extra $100+ for shipping. If they say no, it was a waste of time. If they say yes then it's a few more emails back and forth to get everything paid up with Paypal and a verified account. Now the stuff has to be packaged with extra packaging material and more time to be sure it can survive international shipping.

Now drive 10 minutes back to the post office with the package, wait 15 minutes in line, fill out a customs form that they look over for another 5 minutes, then drive back home.

Not counting packaging, there's about 1.5 hours extra in that order, plus fuel to ship a pair of waveguides. I realize that some of that wouldn't be a problem at all, and I've done it for some AVS forum members. But if I put international shipping on the site it wouldn't just be one or two people. And I can't imagine figuring all of that for every kit and flat packs. Basically I'd be completely overwhelmed.

That's why shipping forwarders are easier right now.

Eventually I will try to figure something else out, but I'm not sure what it will be unless things are made to cost more for those types of orders to cover having my sister or someone take care of them. I have been trying to figure it out though.
Maybe just limit USPS shipping to North America ? Shipping USPS to India would totally be a Nightmare..

It's all about the magic Beans & sand.
post #12695 of 12695 Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri732 View Post
Also the Midbass Modules and the new Concentric 8 options.
Clemson Eh? Adding you to the NC/SC thread shortly

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page