post #2821 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post

Hey, I've been trying to get an insubnia for a long time. There's at least another AK member too.

So, as far as cutout dimensions go, would you say the flange extends 1/2 or 3/4" in from the outer dimension?

The plastic SEOS 12 looks good.

The cutout versus outer flange is obviously different all around because of it's shape. But there's at least a 1/2" all around. I'll get photos of the back later.

You've got to follow the AVS forum some more! Those Anarchy tapped horns are in stock sir! The CNC company cut them a few weeks ago.

You might be the "Chosen One" to get the word out about the SEOS-12 on the AK site. It's a daunting task.....but you can do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mill View Post

So for those of us that ordered TD15Ms, which of the SEOS will be a better match? The 12 or the 15? From a cost perspective it would be great to use the plastic 12, but if the poured 15 is a better match then the extra cost is worth it. Would the poured 15 be available on the next pallet?

I don't want to speak for anyone here, but Carl Huff contacted me a few days ago. He ordered some 12's, 15's and 18's on the last pallet. He's working on a project that started with the SEOS-15, but changed to the SEOS-12 because it could handle his needs just fine.

I don't think you would have a problem with either size unless you wanted to cross under 1000hz.
post #2823 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

well, i won't quote you, but i don't think you have to worry about what you are worrying about.

nice horn = 1x sales
nice horn + c.d. = 5x sales
nice horn + c.d. + woofer = 25x sales
nice horn + c.d. + woofer + crossover = 125x sales
nice horn + c.d. + woofer + crossover + enclosure = 625x sales
nice horn + c.d. + woofer + crossover + enclosure + built and delivered = 3125x sales

the multiplier might not be exact, but it was to illustrate the point--the further that you get down the road, the larger the market and its not linear.

Just quoting this to say how true you are LTD. I've been around here for a while but haven't contributed much DIY-wise.

I'd definitely buy 2 fronts and a center when it comes to that point. The crossover / enclosure is the part that I think will net you the most interest.

That being said, I love reading what you, Erich, and everyone else who frequents these forums has to say. You guys blow my mind with your knowledge in audio.

Cheers and thanks to all. Will continue following this thread
post #2824 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I'll plus one for the xover as id order most of the components NOW if there was a passive one being built for some of these designs. I am taking claim of some old advent maple enclosures today that im going to measure out and see what I can convert them into. should be a fun project!!! But it would just be perfect if I could fit an SEOS-12 and something else in them and really make them special!!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #2825 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post

Hey, I've been trying to get an insubnia for a long time. There's at least another AK member too.

I have 2 insubnias sitting behind my couch (one corner loaded) in my living room and they are great for a semi-hidden subwoofer approach and they make great stands for rear surrounds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I'll plus one for the xover as id order most of the components NOW if there was a passive one being built for some of these designs. I am taking claim of some old advent maple enclosures today that im going to measure out and see what I can convert them into. should be a fun project!!! But it would just be perfect if I could fit an SEOS-12 and something else in them and really make them special!!!

Nice, I've been sitting on an old pair of Advents 5012's in oak for an E-wave build, but the these darned SEOS WG's have piqued my interest for some time. I may get the hankerin' for a frankenstein project to replace the minty Original Large Advents in my office system. Keep us informed...

Count me in for at least 2x SEOS 12's and 4 of the smaller SEOS models for surrounds, whenever they are designed. Along with the waveguides I'd also be interested in the CD and XO components for said designs.

Keep up the good work Erich and thanks again for the 4x MFW-15's, 6x JBL 8330 and the EP2500. Now I just need to finish that HT.
post #2826 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow, I can't believe how much time, effort and upfront cost you are putting in to help the diy community. My hat off to you, sir.

I am totally in for LCR seos 12's, especially if a full flat pack, drivers, xo are bundled. I would be quick to pre order as well, as I'm sure many would, to help with the upfront financial burden.
post #2827 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay guys, I've given this some more thought and here's what we could do. I'm going to go through the items I have from the past JBL group buy and go through some of my nicer compression drivers I've been working on and figure out what can go towards this project (as free).

This weekend I'll work up a webpage that gives all the details. Maybe if you order up to 3 (left right center) your name will be put in for a free pair of the nice compression drivers. If you order 4-7 your name will go in for the compression drivers, and also for a pair of the 15" JBL pro woofers I still have. 10+ then those 2 drawings and maybe....maybe the 18" JBL pro subwoofer that's left over. Chances in such drawing will make the odds VERY good the higher up the quantity goes.

Trying to think how to track this per DIY audio forum. I could make the webpage with 4-5 of the same SEOS-12, but call them SEOS-12 AVS, SEOS-12 AK, SEOS-12 PE, etc.

That way people could order the one that best matches the site they normally frequent and I can easily track how many for each site.

THEN, there can be a drawing for the site that had the most preorders and give away the 4 production samples I got yesterday to that group.

It's just left over stuff that I haven't had time to package up, so why not spice this whole thing up and make it really neat????

If anyone can think of the different DIY sites, let me know. Obviously AVS, PE, AK. What others?

Is this a good idea?
post #2828 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Wow. Wonderful updates Erich. I will certainly be in line for any group buys and/or sale of the early batch of seos-12's or kits for LCR. I think you're on the right path for tracking all the GB's between sites by naming them the way you have. You may just want to direct them to your site once all that is set up and then design/build discussions can happen in their respective threads here on AVS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

There's only one plastic model right now, the SEOS-12. That size is very good and will still allow for very low crossover points. If there's ever another one, it will likely be smaller, not larger.

Thanks for the clarification on the size in the plastic version. This is good news, because I'm looking for something more compact that I can use for surrounds - with the plastic seos-12's and 12 drivers for the front stage. Do you hope to follow the same size lineage as the Autotech line of 15, 12, 10, 8, etc.? While the 10's in plastic won't be available, is there a design using the 10's in the works by using the fiberglass seos-10, cd, 10driver, xo, etc.? If so, what cd (de250 or variant) and driver (Eminence 2510?) combination would work best for that wg? I just want to be sure that when I build the speakers for the front stage that surrounds of a similar design is around the corner even if I have to buy the fiberglass 10's.
Quote:

Kits (more than 1) will be available pretty fast, especially for the SEOS-12 . Hopefully I can help get some group buy pricing worked up that will wipe out shipping charges and then some. A few designs will be ready by the time the plastic models actually get delivered here. I'm going to take the plastic model and get CNC'ed baffles, and complete flat packs as well.

This is excellent news. Group buys on Eminence or AE 12 drivers or both or whole kits? Iirc, there are a few people waiting on the TD15M's for testing, so any designs based on those would be solely theoretical at this stage? I'm definitely much more interested in a design employing the 12drivers, either the TD12M or 3012HO. Whichever driver models and performs better as a combined system including the de250 or variant and seos-12.
I know I've got many questions and I'd rather not cloud the thread with my budgetary constraints, but this system has to last me quite a while. It is primarily a music system by 80% (multichannel and stereo listening) with flanking sealed 15 subs (mfw-15 drivers used for all the dual apposed builds during last years' craze). Anyway, I can save all that info for the onslaught of build threadsyay!

Many thanks,
Nate
post #2829 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I don't want to speak for anyone here, but Carl Huff contacted me a few days ago. He ordered some 12's, 15's and 18's on the last pallet. He's working on a project that started with the SEOS-15, but changed to the SEOS-12 because it could handle his needs just fine.

I don't think you would have a problem with either size unless you wanted to cross under 1000hz.

Sounds like the 12 would be just fine then, and I'm in for 7 of them for sure. I'm also very interested in either the BA CD or DE250 clone when those become available. Considering the delays on the AE group buy there is certainly no rush here. Can't build anything without the TD15Ms.

Thanks for the tremendous effort Erich

post #2830 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

I will have a SEOS15/DE250/TD15M passive design when I get my TD15Ms. I will probably do a few different xover designs ranging in price and probably a few different woofers too like the 2226J, 2226H (if someone wants to loan me one down the road) and 15TBX100.

I would gladly loan you my JBL 2226H drivers, but the cost of shipping is my only concern, maybe someone on the west coast could design a passive XO...please?

Also great idea on the giveaway, but I would caution that you link the screen name, real name and shipping address so nobody tries to enter the "SEOS Sweepstakes" multiple times to increase their odds.
post #2831 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, there are designs being done right now around the 8, 10, 12, 15, and possibly the 18. There will be full kits offered for all of them, including the flat packs. Pricing will vary a LOT, from cheap to more expensive. And designs from smaller surrounds to floor crushing designs.

This past year has really primed me for packaging things up and all the shipping has let FedEx lower the rates down to a decent level. This winter I packaged everything by myself. But I run a landscape company and pay some guys on salary. So when it rains and we can't work, they get paid anyway......so maybe they can help package up boxes instead of doing other worthless stuff or going home. Or I can get my sister to help with packaging.

A lady friend has been keeping some double thick boxes from her work, and I must have about 300 or so piled in a mountain in my garage (you can barely get in!). That gives us free packaging on the waveguides and maybe even the compression drivers will fit okay. Those double thick boxes are about $3 each, so it's a good savings that won't need to be added to the product. I was using some of them for the Overnight Sensation kits and they are very nice.
post #2832 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

Also great idea on the giveaway, but I would caution that you link the screen name, real name and shipping address so nobody tries to enter the "SEOS Sweepstakes" multiple times to increase their odds.

The only way they can enter would be to preorder/prepay. So they can "enter" as many times as they'd like!
post #2833 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The cutout versus outer flange is obviously different all around because of it's shape. But there's at least a 1/2" all around. I'll get photos of the back later.

You've got to follow the AVS forum some more! Those Anarchy tapped horns are in stock sir! The CNC company cut them a few weeks ago.

You might be the "Chosen One" to get the word out about the SEOS-12 on the AK site. It's a daunting task.....but you can do it!

I'd have to try it first....hint.
post #2834 of 10790 Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:

The only way they can enter would be to preorder/prepay. So they can "enter" as many times as they'd like!

So when I pre-order I will indicate which forum I choose and that's the drawing I will be entered into?
post #2835 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So when I pre-order I will indicate which forum I choose and that's the drawing I will be entered into?

I only thought about the idea for about 2 minutes, so I'll have to give it more thought before it gets started.

I did get photos of the 1 piece baffles today and will post them later. They're for the 10" model and look extremely good. Designed for the 'luxury' speaker that's eventually coming down the road. These could possibly create a stir in the high end speaker market.

I can't remember the exact dimensions I gave for the baffles right now, but it's in my notes somewhere.
post #2836 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Just trying to help, it's a great idea and should stir up interest, because who doesn't like free stuff?
post #2837 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Myself, personally, am interested to see flatpack enclosures offered for some popular designs. I have the tools and the know-how but no longer anyplace to work, nor a lot of time to do it. I'd greatly appreciate the enclosure being done. Crossovers are easy to build once they are designed, so I am not at all worried about that.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #2838 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just trying to help, it's a great idea and should stir up interest, because who doesn't like free stuff?

I didn't mean anything bad about that last post, only that I haven't had time to give it extra thought, but I will this weekend. If you have ideas, let me know.

AudioJosh, The flat packs are a definite on these. Shipping to you in Canada wouldn't be pretty, but maybe not as bad as I think.
post #2839 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
For us living in Europe, I'm hoping for drawings and schematics of the builds as well?
post #2840 of 10790 Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlim View Post

For us living in Europe, I'm hoping for drawings and schematics of the builds as well?

If you know someone with a CNC, I could send you the file. Then I could ship a larger number of waveguides and you could ship them around if you found others that wanted them. It would be cheaper to ship a larger number of course.
post #2841 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I didn't mean anything bad about that last post, only that I haven't had time to give it extra thought, but I will this weekend. If you have ideas, let me know.

AudioJosh, The flat packs are a definite on these. Shipping to you in Canada wouldn't be pretty, but maybe not as bad as I think.

I'm with AudioJosh. Definitely looking into pre-ordering from Canada too. Shipping hopefully wont be too bad... but if you have CNC files that's even better!
post #2842 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
As a Canadian... I concur!!!
post #2843 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
We should see how many Canadians we are and look to organize to make it more reasonable for us.

Josh

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #2844 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Say Erich, how deep (thick) are the DE250 replacement CD's?

I just realized they may not fit in the very shallow enclosures I have planned.

Noah
post #2845 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM

I see somebody has been busy with their website today.
post #2846 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post

We should see how many Canadians we are and look to organize to make it more reasonable for us.

Josh

Count me in.
post #2847 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
How long before we start seeing those subwoofer flat packs for sale?
post #2848 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ON, Canada stopping by to say 'Hi'.
post #2849 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

How long before we start seeing those subwoofer flat packs for sale?

Hey, stop looking!

I picked up 300 flat packs from the CNC company for 3 new designs that should be done very soon. That will finish off the 4", 6", 6.5", and 7" woofer designs. The subwoofers are next on the list. Once the first CAD file is done, they get cut.

And once the subwoofers start getting cut, that means the new CNC company is up and running and things will be popping out pretty much as fast as designs can be drawn up. The thing that slowed it down was a wrong inverter being shipped. But the machine is up and running, just waiting for programs.

After subwoofers comes tower speakers. After that....crazy stuff.
post #2850 of 10790 Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

I see somebody has been busy with their website today.

Good eye! I put up another 20 things today, and still have more. But let me just say that I stink at web design. Heck, I'm trying to post a photo of a crossover that BWaslo made up for the mini-elliptical and I can't even figure out how unless I upload it under a product! Lost an hour trying, then decided to get the rest of the Autotech horns uploaded. I need to get some type of photo gallery extension, but can't figure out how to upload that either! Wish I picked a different shopping cart program. It's a very safe program and one of the newest, but harder to use for just the average person.

Mostly been working on the "Big Pr-Order Raffle", but you can't see that stuff yet. Should be neat, but I'm worried that moderators on other forums might not understand why it's being done. It could look a little 'shady' if they don't realize this is either sample stuff I've worked on, or helped with, or stuff left over from past group buys.......or a bit of audio house cleaning!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page