Dayton OmniMic Precision Measurement System - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 2090 Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I know PE is in the process of switching manufacturers to help with QC.

Please can you explain what you mean by above, what does QC stand for.?
What manunfactuer are they switching to?
Are they not goling to be stocking Omnimic & Dayton mics?
Phillips751 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 2090 Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
dormie1360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quality Control

Regards,
John
dormie1360 is offline  
post #1443 of 2090 Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

Please can you explain what you mean by above, what does QC stand for.?
What manunfactuer are they switching to?
Are they not goling to be stocking Omnimic & Dayton mics?

As dormie1360 said, QC is short for Quality Control...

I have no idea who the new manufacturer will be but it is safe to say that PE expects a higher level of quality control for the next batch of OM produced for them.

Based on my conversation with Parts Express, the switch to a new manufacturer is currently underway and should be completed very shortly with the OM returning to stock. Parts Express seems very committed to the OM as a product as they are offering to re-calibrate all of the existing units in the field for the cost of shipping.
laugsbach is online now  
post #1444 of 2090 Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Based on my conversation with Parts Express, the switch to a new manufacturer is currently underway and should be completed very shortly with the OM returning to stock.

Mine is on back order, but perhaps I will get one of the new ones. Interesting that they can switch manufacturers so quickly. Is Dayton a real brand or just PE house brand, thus all the manufacturing is done by some third party.

Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1445 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
DaytonAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Mine is on back order, but perhaps I will get one of the new ones. Interesting that they can switch manufacturers so quickly. Is Dayton a real brand or just PE house brand, thus all the manufacturing is done by some third party.

Bob

Bob, though we started as the house brand at Parts Express, we have evolved into our own stand-alone brand, and our products are distributed around the world now, such as Intertechnik.de in Germany. As far as manufacturing, we do partner and develop products with factories that have (in our eyes) achieved accomplishments in various disciplines--and we evaluate our partners on a product by product basis as we design and develop here in the USA. This is quite common place in the electronics market.
DaytonAudio is offline  
post #1446 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonAudio View Post

Bob, though we started as the house brand at Parts Express, we have evolved into our own stand-alone brand, and our products are distributed around the world now, such as Intertechnik.de in Germany. As far as manufacturing, we do partner and develop products with factories that have (in our eyes) achieved accomplishments in various disciplines--and we evaluate our partners on a product by product basis as we design and develop here in the USA. This is quite common place in the electronics market.

Thanks for the reply. Can you shed any light on the future of Omnimic?

Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1447 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Newbie
 
DaytonAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Can you shed any light on the future of Omnimic?

Bob

As you may know, Bill Waslow is our partner in this project, and he can best address any improvements to the software and feature set. Bill is a gifted software developer and we are proud to be associated with him. We do feel with the 3.10 software release, we have solved some issues and added some features that many customers had requested. Also, we put the test signal tracks required for some of these features for download off the Dayton Audio OmniMic web page: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...t-system.html/ A test DVD is being planned, which can provide test signals to individual channels in a 5.1 surround system.
DaytonAudio is offline  
post #1448 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonAudio View Post

As you may know, Bill Waslow is our partner in this project, and he can best address any improvements to the software and feature set. Bill is a gifted software developer and we are proud to be associated with him. We do feel with the 3.10 software release, we have solved some issues and added some features that many customers had requested. Also, we put the test signal tracks required for some of these features for download off the Dayton Audio OmniMic web page: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...t-system.html/ A test DVD is being planned, which can provide test signals to individual channels in a 5.1 surround system.

Using the link provided, I was unable to find the audio tracks. Prior to this, I downloaded the ones from the link that Bill provided. When unzipping them, I got an unexpected end of file.
When I sent the mike back for the recal, your Tech said to mention it & perhaps I would receive a CR with the returned mike.

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #1449 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
exojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Carl,

The tracks are located right under the picture of the mic (where they are showing the serial number) on the page that was linked. Scroll all the way down the page and you should see "OmniMic Audio Test Tracks".

James
exojam is offline  
post #1450 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonAudio View Post

As you may know, Bill Waslow is our partner in this project, and he can best address any improvements to the software and feature set. Bill is a gifted software developer and we are proud to be associated with him. We do feel with the 3.10 software release, we have solved some issues and added some features that many customers had requested. Also, we put the test signal tracks required for some of these features for download off the Dayton Audio OmniMic web page: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...t-system.html/ A test DVD is being planned, which can provide test signals to individual channels in a 5.1 surround system.

Thanks, I am sure everyone here appreciates your participation on this forum. Do you have an idea when PE will have OM back in stock? Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1451 of 2090 Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Carl,

The tracks are located right under the picture of the mic (where they are showing the serial number) on the page that was linked. Scroll all the way down the page and you should see "OmniMic Audio Test Tracks".

James

Thanks, I did find them & they did unzip correctly. (Original file size: 251,075K & New: 251,798K)

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #1452 of 2090 Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Newbie
 
DJ LISTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this is a known problem, PE sent me a defective mic, but I have to pay the return shipping to get it replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

DJ,

Sorry to say this but if you are getting that peak at 60HZ you probably have a defect mic and will need to speak with PE about a replacement. I thought this was something they had resolved.

James

DJ LISTS is offline  
post #1453 of 2090 Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ LISTS View Post

So this is a known p roblem, PE sent me a defective mic, but I have to pay the return shipping to get it replaced?

Good point, but at least it is not too heavy. Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1454 of 2090 Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
exojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ LISTS View Post

So this is a known problem, PE sent me a defective mic, but I have to pay the return shipping to get it replaced?

DJ,

It has been seen before but I would call and speak with PE about it to see what they can do. I did not have the problem but maybe someone who did can state how it was covered.

James
exojam is offline  
post #1455 of 2090 Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
exojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well my wife got the mic out in the mail for me today for it's tune up. Hopefully it will be back in a few weeks but I am not in a big rush.

James
exojam is offline  
post #1456 of 2090 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Hopefully it will be back in a few weeks but I am not in a big rush. James

Hi James, my tune up took 7 days...I am looking forward to reading about your experience.
laugsbach is online now  
post #1457 of 2090 Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
exojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To be honest I am not expecting to see a huge difference in the graphs. I all ready know that I will not have the mic in the same exacte spots for the earlier measurements I made. If I do see something like 5 or 10 db higher or lower than I could say something was - is wrong but I do not expect that to happen.

James
exojam is offline  
post #1458 of 2090 Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

To be honest I am not expecting to see a huge difference in the graphs.

I agree...there is a post over at PE/OmniMic Forum that has a graph of the differences pre/post tune-up...not much.
laugsbach is online now  
post #1459 of 2090 Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Newbie
 
DJ LISTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're looking for a new manufacturer, I would like to recommend some design changes to be implemented. I believe this would make the device more attractive to buyers and decrease complaints from users.

- The mic clip is probably not strong enough for the mic. If you point the mic straight down, there's a tendency to slip on the mic clip, and the back of the mic will hang out maybe 5-10 degrees rather than fit snug in the mic clip. It doesn't help that the mic clip and the mic are both very smooth. When I was initially testing the mic I found that I could not comfortably walk away from it and had to use gaff tape to hold it in the clip.

- The mic clip swivels too easily. I've tried tightening that screw but I'm afraid that any more tightening and it will break. It cannot hold the microphone level and tends to fall forward. I'll probably end up disassembling it and putting some sort of washer in there to resist movement.

- The USB connection is awkward. It takes a bit of patience to plug the mic in. The connection is recessed, and was probably designed to be a guide since its dimensions are very close to that of the cable, but in reality it takes a while to get the mic plugged in because you can't see which direction you are off. It doesn't help that the microUSB is a small target to hit. An ordinary USB in that hole would have been fine.

- The USB connection is sloppy. I don't feel a firm connection like when I plug in any of my other microUSB devices. This one seems exceptionally sloppy and the plug wobbles around.

- Continuing on the last point, I cannot hang the mic by its cable. If I'm measuring the floor response, and I want to decouple the stand, the easiest solution is to hang the mic by its cable. This works fine with XLRs because they lock. I may end up trying to attach some sort of rubber extension so I can hang the mic on its stand. The mic would be nicer if it had some way to hang it without tightly coupling vibrations to/from what it's hanging from.

- The O-rings will be gone any day now. It's a cute idea, and I like the aesthetics of having them, but in a day or two of usage I have repeatedly had to roll the o-rings back into place. A flat band may have been a better choice there.

A few software suggestions:

- Have the legend for multiple curves on the page rather than hidden in a menu.

- Have the "play from a sound card" more readily accessible, or have it consistent between tabs. If I'm using the sound card for a frequency response, I'll probably use it for all the other functions as well. It would be nice to have that global rather than per tab.

- Minimize and maximize do some strange things. Minimize reduces to a minimal window size (same size as a tab down in the taskbar on windows 7) but it remains on the screen. Restoring to a window makes it an ordinary sized window. Clicking maximize causes it to jump around like it attempts to maximize but it returns to the same normal window size but changes the icon in the top right corner. Hitting it again finally maximizes the window.

- Often times I'm saving a curve just so I can add it. It would be nice to have the option to take the existing curve and just keep it up there for future measurements. It can be done now by saving and then adding the curve, but having either a "freeze and relabel curve" option or a "save and keep curve" or something similar would help.

- I find the auto vertical scaling of the frequency response to be unpredictable. Sometimes I'll have half of my curve on the screen and half of it off the screen, and after numerous sweeps with it not moving, I finally have to manually rescale to see my whole curve.

- A nice added feature would be windowing of the sampled data. I understand the refresh rate of the graphs is slow because you have to take dataset A, process it, graph it, take dataset B, process it, graph it, etc. Computers are pretty fast these days, it should be possible to have the data sets overlap a bit. For example, if datasets are 1000 points, instead of plotting points 1-1000 followed by a delay, followed by points 1001-2000, you should be able to plot 1-1000, 501-1500, 1001-2000, etc. This would double the refresh rate of the software without altering the data acquisition. Ideally you would want the software to scale with processor speed / machine ability, so an incredibly fast machine is plotting 1-1000, 21-1020, 41-1040, 61-1060 and it looks like you're watching a live oscilloscope.
DJ LISTS is offline  
post #1460 of 2090 Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OmniMic out of stock until 3/30 now.

DJ Lists: One advantage of making products for enthusiasts, they will take the time to write up comprehensive suggestions for improvements to products. All for free. Nice job, I am sure Dayton appreciates it.


-Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1461 of 2090 Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ LISTS View Post

- The USB connection is awkward.

Indeed...

This is changing in the next version. I would also post your thoughts over at PE and the OmniMic Forum...
laugsbach is online now  
post #1462 of 2090 Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While I am waiting for my OM, I would like to get a good handle on the topic of Frequency response and time domain. Does anyone have a good link to a tutorial for a beginner?

Thanks Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1463 of 2090 Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

While I am waiting for my OM, I would like to get a good handle on the topic of Frequency response and time domain. Does anyone have a good link to a tutorial for a beginner?

Thanks Bob

A good site to look at is www.acousticfrontiers
Nyal Mellor is very knowledgeable and has written some papers on these topics plus more.
He also has posted on this thread under the name Nyal Mellor well worth a read. I think from the last 10-12 pages you will find links to his website/papers.
Hope this helps
Phillips751 is offline  
post #1464 of 2090 Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
bob_m10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

A good site to look at is www.acousticfrontiers
Nyal Mellor is very knowledgeable and has written some papers on these topics plus more.
He also has posted on this thread under the name Nyal Mellor well worth a read. I think from the last 10-12 pages you will find links to his website/papers.
Hope this helps

I have been reading up a bit and just want to make sure I understand this. If we were measuring outside or in an anechoic chamber, we would not have to worry about the time domain since all signals for a specific frequency would be in phase? Thus the frequency response would tell the whole story?

Thanks Bob
bob_m10 is offline  
post #1465 of 2090 Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

I have been reading up a bit and just want to make sure I understand this. If we were measuring outside or in an anechoic chamber, we would not have to worry about the time domain since all signals for a specific frequency would be in phase? Thus the frequency response would tell the whole story?

Thanks Bob

In theory yes. E.g. There are speaker designers that state their measurements in a anechoic chamber, which basically is in almost a perfect enviroment. Speaker designers cannot allow for everybodys room differences so they measure in a neutral enviroment.
If you have put your stereo outside you would have noticed the difference in sound, with no boundries.
I posted a question about bass earlier in this thread, being the most probmatic frequency range. Nyal commented on this which would be a good read.
I have come across a stereo system that was running twin subs and one setting was set with a flat frequency response, the other was more great time domain/decay. The two sounds were chalk and cheese. Personally i liked the better time domain/decay, probaly due to my passion for 2 channel music. The old story you buy good midrange but you can't buy good bass due to your room.
Nyal might chip in here.
Hope this helps.
Phillips751 is offline  
post #1466 of 2090 Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
elee532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone recommend a decent inexpesive stand to hold the OmniMic?
elee532 is offline  
post #1467 of 2090 Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^
This is what I'm using...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

At this time, I'm only interested in the bass region and sub placement...this stand allows me to move quickly and securely between all of my theater seats.
laugsbach is online now  
post #1468 of 2090 Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 AM
 
goneten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What is the consensus with this software and mic ? Are the results accurate for professional calibration ? Is the resolution high enough ? Etc....just need some thoughts from the experts.
goneten is offline  
post #1469 of 2090 Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
exojam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

What is the consensus with this software and mic ? Are the results accurate for professional calibration ? Is the resolution high enough ? Etc....just need some thoughts from the experts.

Page 2 of the thread below starts to get into the resolution of Omni with Bill getting involved in the conversation. Probably best if you read that thread and get an idea if it will fit your needs (in regards to resolution).

There had been some issues with the mic but I feel PE is taking steps to correct this and in my opinion are doing their best to stay engaged with people owning the mic taking care of any issues being seen.

James

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=omni&page=2
exojam is offline  
post #1470 of 2090 Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 AM
 
goneten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Page 2 of the thread below starts to get into the resolution of Omni with Bill getting involved in the conversation. Probably best if you read that thread and get an idea if it will fit your needs (in regards to resolution).

There had been some issues with the mic but I feel PE is taking steps to correct this and in my opinion are doing their best to stay engaged with people owning the mic taking care of any issues being seen.

All I remember is Bossobass made a claim that this software and mic (or just software, I don't remember) wasn't particularly accurate so I wanted to know whether that's true or not. It shouldn't be subjective and I don't feel like wading through 40+ pages to get an answer. Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, it's not my intention.

Either this product is accurate or it isn't. I did hear about the mic inconsistency issue and I hear that issue is being addressed, but at it's core does this product offer accurate, repeatable results as good as REW ? Or not ? If you want to see everything displayed on the graph correctly and accurately, is it a good buy ? I'm thinking of buying so I need to know these things. Thanks and sorry if I came off as a bit rude.
goneten is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off