Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1621 of 2112 Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a v1 and am sending it back for a recalibration - Is the software version 3.10 ok to use with the V1 omnimic? Is there any difference in the V1 and V2 sofware or is it only hardware differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2112 Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
V1 is OK to use with that software version.

V1->V2 is hardware differences.

James
post #1623 of 2112 Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
post #1624 of 2112 Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hey there - question from an OmniMic newbie for the list:
I picked up the OmniMic a few weeks back, and after doing some reading up through the thread, there's a reference to the DIY Audio DVD last fall which has 5.1 multichannel test tones in various ranges. I found the sticky link with the file and did the download, but haven't done anything with it yet personally.

Other than the minor annoyance of downloading and burning the ISO onto DVD, is there any particular reason why there's been little mention of anyone trying this with OmniMic? It would seem quite useful for testing frequency response with mains and one or more subs in the crossover/splice range, particularly if you've got powered mains or a center that can handle lower/mid bass, in the > 40 to 100 Hz range if you've got Audyssey or Audyssey Pro. I was thinking of using it for A/B testing of at least LCR and subs when I adjust my sub response with distance adjustments, as well as fine tuning crossovers for my center (I have DefTech Mythos ST and a CS-8080 center, all of which have powered "sub" (or in context, mid-bass) capability.

There's always the old-fashioned single speaker/sub or 2.1 test, but while we're waiting for the 5.1 DVD from Dayton, I was curious. I'd thought about posting on the Pro thread, but this seems a little more relevant here.

Thanks,
Stuart

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1625 of 2112 Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The new mic has a different style USB, looks solid.
post #1626 of 2112 Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Hey there - question from an OmniMic newbie for the list:
I picked up the OmniMic a few weeks back, and after doing some reading up through the thread, there's a reference to the DIY Audio DVD last fall which has 5.1 multichannel test tones in various ranges. I found the sticky link with the file and did the download, but haven't done anything with it yet personally.

Other than the minor annoyance of downloading and burning the ISO onto DVD, is there any particular reason why there's been little mention of anyone trying this with OmniMic? It would seem quite useful for testing frequency response with mains and one or more subs in the crossover/splice range, particularly if you've got powered mains or a center that can handle lower/mid bass, in the > 40 to 100 Hz range if you've got Audyssey or Audyssey Pro. I was thinking of using it for A/B testing of at least LCR and subs when I adjust my sub response with distance adjustments, as well as fine tuning crossovers for my center (I have DefTech Mythos ST and a CS-8080 center, all of which have powered "sub" (or in context, mid-bass) capability.

There's always the old-fashioned single speaker/sub or 2.1 test, but while we're waiting for the 5.1 DVD from Dayton, I was curious. I'd thought about posting on the Pro thread, but this seems a little more relevant here.

Thanks,
Stuart

Can you provide us the sticky link for the 5.1 download? Didn't know that it was available and couldn't find it. Thanks

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1627 of 2112 Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Can you provide us the sticky link for the 5.1 download? Didn't know that it was available and couldn't find it. Thanks

It's in the Sticky Section of DIY Speakers and subs -- look at post #1 under the DIY Audio Test DVD thread.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #1628 of 2112 Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
That's not an Omnimic test disk, just generic. Omnimic needs its own particular test signals.

The OM dcs isn't ready yet (sorry for the holdup, I'm the one who is late on this).

DIY Synergy horn spreadsheet http://libinst.com/SynergyCalc/
XSim -free crossover designer and simulator http://libinst.com/Xsim/XSimSetup.exe
post #1629 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM

Liked: 17
Phillips, how is everything with Omnimic? I know you had a couple of issues before, just following up to find out if everything was sorted out.
post #1630 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

That's not an Omnimic test disk, just generic. Omnimic needs its own particular test signals.

The OM dcs isn't ready yet (sorry for the holdup, I'm the one who is late on this).

Got it - so for the indefinite future, it's back to the old fashioned way.

So, is the current thinking that the 'best practice' way to measure FR is to use the mono sine sweeps with Dolby PLII Cinema, for testing room response on the front mains+sub(s), center+subs, FCR+subs, sub only etc according to taste/philosophy? I'm primarily interested in getting my < 100 Hz bass response flatter with phase/distance tweaks, but since I've got powered DefTech fronts and center, there's some bass response/overlap between the mains and subs to think about in the crossover/splice range - as well as peaks/dips above that point that I might want to tweak as well with the Audyssey Pro Curve editor if I'm masochistic enough (I've got Pro).

Not to dive into the current debate on the Audyssey page or anything....

Thanks,
Stuart

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #1631 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

Is there a rough eta when the 5.1 test tones will be ready?

Thanks
post #1632 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:

Got it - so for the indefinite future, it's back to the old fashioned way.

So, is the current thinking that the 'best practice' way to measure FR is to use the mono sine sweeps with Dolby PLII Cinema, for testing room response on the front mains+sub(s), center+subs, FCR+subs, sub only etc according to taste/philosophy? I'm primarily interested in getting my < 100 Hz bass response flatter with phase/distance tweaks, but since I've got powered DefTech fronts and center, there's some bass response/overlap between the mains and subs to think about in the crossover/splice range - as well as peaks/dips above that point that I might want to tweak as well with the Audyssey Pro Curve editor if I'm masochistic enough (I've got Pro).

Not to dive into the current debate on the Audyssey page or anything....

Thanks,
Stuart

I always measure in Stereo mode, and with ZERO processing to begin with, custom EQ myself and get as close as I can, THEN run audyssey to shore up the missing (smaller) tweaks. If you are having major issues in the crossover region, doing it manually will keep audyssey from unintentionally boosting or over eqing areas that could be handled much better another way.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1633 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I always measure in Stereo mode, and with ZERO processing to begin with, custom EQ myself and get as close as I can, THEN run audyssey to shore up the missing (smaller) tweaks. If you are having major issues in the crossover region, doing it manually will keep audyssey from unintentionally boosting or over eqing areas that could be handled much better another way.

How are you accomplishing your "custom EQ"? An external EQ processor of some kind? Is there an additional DA/AD conversion involved?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #1634 of 2112 Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

So, is the current thinking that the 'best practice' way to measure FR is to use the mono sine sweeps with Dolby PLII Cinema, for testing room response on the front mains+sub(s), center+subs, FCR+subs, sub only etc according to taste/philosophy?

A bit klutzy, but you can sidestep the vagaries of surround processing, and measure freq resp of surrounds too, if your receiver has a so-called all channel stereo party mode that duplicates the L/R in the surround channels, and disconnecting the speakers that aren't being measured.

Noah
post #1635 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Phillips, how is everything with Omnimic? I know you had a couple of issues before, just following up to find out if everything was sorted out.

Hi depends which issues?
Software being more for speaker design vs rooms. Hopefully some of this will be adressed in the update like Bill said awhile ago.
I haven't used for a little while now.
Must be due for an update shortly?
post #1636 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 AM

Well didn't you have issues with accuracy, or something earlier on in the thread? If you're interested in measuring acoustics, frequency response, modal ringing etc, is it a viable alternative to REW? As I understand it a lot of features have been incorporated into the design since it was released. Is it now a rival to REW or is REW still better for measuring response, ringing etc?
post #1637 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM

I know that on screen graphics isn't everything, but I hope they do improve the graphics of the graphs and/or waterfalls. Last I checked it looked a little ... dated.
post #1638 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:

Well didn't you have issues with accuracy, or something earlier on in the thread? If you're interested in measuring acoustics, frequency response, modal ringing etc, is it a viable alternative to REW? As I understand it a lot of features have been incorporated into the design since it was released. Is it now a rival to REW or is REW still better for measuring response, ringing etc?

I still find REW better for rooms
post #1639 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:

I know that on screen graphics isn't everything, but I hope they do improve the graphics of the graphs and/or waterfalls. Last I checked it looked a little ... dated.

Absolutely.

I have asked about importing the WAV Impulse response into REW (which you can do) to use the decay, waterfall, EQ etc, but it isn't accurate. It shows that the response is near perfect, which it is far from that.
Bill has said that in the next upddate there is going to be different options for exporting impulse responses, great if this could be done, but he hasn't answered back on this (unless i missed something).
post #1640 of 2112 Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

I still find REW better for rooms

But then what's the use for Omnimic? What does REW do better?
post #1641 of 2112 Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:

But then what's the use for Omnimic? What does REW do better?

Eq, which works really well, spectrogram, waterfall (able to adjust) etc.
I spent $20 and now i can use both (two for the price of one)

I have tried eqing with Omni and got a good result, but then used REW and got a even better result. I have dual Velodyne DD subs. Same goes for the mains and center.
I understand that Bill can't do this, so i tried alternatives, and why not have the best from both softwares, they both have great feature/benefits.
I will keep an eye out for updates.
post #1642 of 2112 Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM

How did using EQ with the Room EQ software give better results? Waterfall? Doesn't Omnimic include waterfall measurements? Not arguing with you, just trying to understand.
post #1643 of 2112 Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

How are you accomplishing your "custom EQ"? An external EQ processor of some kind? Is there an additional DA/AD conversion involved?

Yep several, i have been switching them out until I found the DCX2496 which is quite intuitive and easy once you play a little with it. Still not the easiest but I want the ability to tweak my own, in addition to what audyssey does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

A bit klutzy, but you can sidestep the vagaries of surround processing, and measure freq resp of surrounds too, if your receiver has a so-called all channel stereo party mode that duplicates the L/R in the surround channels, and disconnecting the speakers that aren't being measured.

+1 to this bigtime! This is also nice to measure new speakers without having to rewire to the front L/R if that is a task (Which it is for me)

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #1644 of 2112 Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:

How did using EQ with the Room EQ software give better results? Waterfall? Doesn't Omnimic include waterfall measurements? Not arguing with you, just trying to understand.

I realize this, thats how we all learn, right or wong, opinions.

More refined able run speakers at full range now, where before it wasn't even an option. REW picked up on two filters that made all the difference.
Yes Omni does have Waterfall but REW has the adjustability and is easily red.
You can save the graph and work on the eq later, which also saves the impulse which gives the power to adjust almost every tool, waterfall, eq etc. Adjusting the eq the waterfall shows the effects. Of course you have to remeasure.
To me it's about being able to adjust to what you want to measure. I have this in both softwares.
Omni is great for speed and live RT analaysis. Able to have both is great.
I have posted some graphs a couple of weeks ago and there isn't any interest.
post #1645 of 2112 Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

...Yep several, i have been switching them out until I found the DCX2496 which is quite intuitive and easy once you play a little with it. Still not the easiest but I want the ability to tweak my own, in addition to what audyssey does....

How are you able to use the 2496 along with Audyssey? I ask because I own two Behringer DEQ2496's which are similar but stopped using them when I picked up my Audyssey equipped Denon 4311 AVR. My Denon and most other AVR's won't do Audyssey corrections on analog inputs which both 2496's have as the only inputs and outputs. Audyssey will only work on the HDMI inputs.
post #1646 of 2112 Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^Hi. There is no such limitation irt Audyssey only on HDMI for Denon, or any other make AFAIK. On the Denons you can indeed use Audyssey on all inputs including HDMI, SPDIF (coax, optical) and regular analog stereo inputs (like those labelled CD, for ex). The exception is that DSP, including Audyssey, cannot be applied to the Ext In analog inputs on most Denon models including the 4311. Those are intended to pass the signal untouched to the amps. So if you want to use external DAC and Audyssey, run the analog into a normal analog stereo input and do not select Direct mode (use Stereo mode). It will apply an ADC , converting the signal to PCM and you can make full use of Audyssey, bass management, etc. I have done this and there is basically no degradation of the signal and the benefits of DSP RC are significant. For more, feel welcome to post on the 4311 thread.

If you want improved SQ and to be able to tweak Audyssey, the best way is to get Audyssey Pro kit, with its more accurate mic, superior processing and customizable curves. Seee the Pro kit thread for more.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1647 of 2112 Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

It will apply a DAC, converting the signal to PCM

post #1648 of 2112 Old 05-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Is there any sign of a software update?

If so. any idea what they might be?
post #1649 of 2112 Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Calling all OmniMic "experts" please take a look at these theater room measurements and tell us what you think:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411590
post #1650 of 2112 Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 AM

Anyone use XTZ Pro II, vs Omnimic? Which software/mic combo is better and more accurate? All I can say is that XTZ has a much prettier graphical interface. But perhaps the experts can explain the benefits Pro II has or doesn't have over Omnimic.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page